Page 287 of 287 FirstFirst ... 187237277282285286287
Results 5,721 to 5,730 of 5730

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II Case Files

US Friend Code
    Aren't they ex-Atlas?

Quote Originally Posted by tsugumi View Post
    You can accept slop (because there's a possibility the author is suffering from Mental Health and you feel bad for them) if you want, but most people are not going to be swayed by this argument.
    I'm not trying to convince you of anything, nor do I think you understand what I'm trying to say exactly...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Squirrel View Post
    D'you mean the act of deliberately not explaining things to the readers, or my bringing up one somewhat extreme example from an adjacent field?
    Both, kind of. I see it a lot on writing forums and subreddits and stuff, people will say things like "if you do this or that, it makes for a more interesting story". But really that depends on what kind of story you're writing.

Now I do think that not everything ought to be explained in every story. I don't think, say, that we need to know Waver's bathroom break schedule. But obviously I didn't mean it quite that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Formless Creature View Post
    I'm not trying to convince you of anything
    Are you sure about that? You spill a lot of ink whenever anyone expresses "case files disappoints me", mostly centred around trying to dissect their REAL reasons for why they don't like CF (as opposed to just accepting what they tell you), before moving on to imply that they should perhaps keep a more open mind. Perhaps be more empathetic! It seems like you're very invested in convincing someone (although obviously not me).
    IYKYK

I spill a lot of ink about anything, actually... it's pretty obvious, but I like hearing myself talk. So I don't think you should take me talking a lot about anything as an indication of a strong investment in that particular subject, necessarily, I just have a lot to say about everything. Or I guess more specifically, I dislike being misunderstood, so I try to reduce as much ambiguity in my statements as possible, which is what leads to my posts being huge. Unfortunately as you can see this sometimes has the opposite effect...
    In general I approach things from a very personal perspective, so if there is any investment, it's less that I care about CF specifically and more that I care that people think I'm wrong. I'm trying to explain the way that I see things, which I guess in a way is me trying to convince you of something (that is, that my viewpoint is valid), but it's not quite me trying to convince you to share that viewpoint with me. If that makes any sense.

My intent was to create a discussion about why people dislike Case Files, anecdotally, more passionately so than other works. I think I succeeded in that much. This also sort of grew beyond its scope into a discussion about a certain kind of hostility inherent in this sort of criticism, not unique to CF but a lot of Internet discourse in general. I don't think it's good or helpful to be hostile when criticizing something, although obviously Sanda isn't here so it doesn't matter if you say mean things because his feelings won't be hurt. I guess I ought to see it as less criticism and more of a vent?
    Last edited by Formless Creature; March 23rd, 2024 at 09:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    It's not that I don't understand what you're trying to say, as you accused me of earlier. It's that I don't agree with what you're saying.

We should never let that dreaded hostility into our criticism because... because... well, we just shouldn't! What if someone's feelings are hurt because they're too invested in their identity as a consumer of that product? We can't have that. We need to be cool, rational, fact and logicheads at all times. Hostility... is bad. It just is. And if someone's feelings are hurt by dispassionate criticism, then well. Clearly, some hostility must have snuck in there. Shame on them!
    IYKYK

I do think that being angry and hostile online is a bad thing. I recognize of course that I can't prevent that from happening, nor that I am immune to it. If you think that's silly or naive of me then well, that sucks a little, but I don't think I can convince you otherwise, so there's really no point in going any further with this. I guess it's just like, the tone? "You can just accept slop if you like", I mean, that's not what I was saying. It's not like there isn't stuff I dislike. Just felt... dismissive, I guess?

Anyways, I don't really want this to get heated or anything so I'll stop responding past this point. I just hope our next interaction is a friendlier one.

Quote Originally Posted by narmbo View Post
    you joke, but i'd give my life for it....
    honestly, the real answer is that we need more musicals. case files is best consumed through the format of a musical.
    The monkey's paw curls....
    THIS SUMMER....
    FROM THE GENUIS BEHIND AMERICA'S 1# MUSICAL..

*bad hip hop backing track*

How does a lowborn, magus, grandson of a whore
    and a Scotsman-
    Day 3092 and Counting of Asking "Avenger John Brown When Lasengle ?"

In the forefront of the battle,
    All is struck down by you—
    O winged Lady, Like a bird
    You scavenge the land.
    Like a charging storm, You charge,
    Like a roaring storm, You roar,
    You thunder in thunder, Breath in rampaging winds.
    Your feet are continually restless.
    Carrying your harp of sighs, You breathe out the music of mourning.

No, no. Keep it coming. Write the netflix series.

Quote Originally Posted by fearboss View Post
    Write the netflix series.
    are you sure you want that

Yes. Would it be good? Absolutely not.