Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1234581353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2Deep4Me or "How I learned to stop thinking and enjoy the headcanon"

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    All routes are equally cannon but HF still has the overall climax. I view it as one linear story in which all these alternate universes complement each other. One reason why removing Fate wasn't such a great move on ufotable's part in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMegas View Post
    Her spikey shoes add like 2-3 feet, don't be deceived
    Hehehe feet

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Hehehe feet
    Should I have said they add about a meter?
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Presumably the Unified Language thing is like when aliens speak English or something. Like, UL's probably not literally Japanese, but it's just shown that way so we can understand it.
    I thought UL is heard by people as the language of their birth, meaning Ryougi hears Japanese even though Satsuki is speaking in the Unified Language, because that's how it resonates with her.

Edit: sniped handily by McJon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMegas View Post
    Should I have said they add about a meter?
    No, no, they add two feet. Because they're shoes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner90 View Post
    This still ignores how HF is presented as an alter story to the one you read up until to that point.
    Is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    Is it?
    Yes.

The routes are pretty clearly intended to be read in a specific order and are better for doing so.

Blog Entries
    He was already relapsing the second he started pushing death of the author; it's a stance that's impossible to support unironically.

Blog Entries
    Come on, don't relapse on me now.
    No, really. That's not obviously evident and needs argumentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    No, really. That's not obviously evident and needs argumentation.
    Does it?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This still ignores how HF is presented as an alter story to the one you read up until to that point.
    There's a required writing order in Tsukihime as well but that doesn't cancel the existence of Near and Far Side.
    Even then, the order matters, it can't be an alter story to what you read up to that point if you read it first.

I don't think anyone is implying that HF is the canonical end, but it is designed to be read last.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Even then, the order matters, it can't be an alter story to what you read up to that point if you read it first.
    The question/answer setup still works, though. Except in this case the question posed would be "What the fuck am I even reading and who are these people?", which is then answered in Fate and UBW.

Wow werid. I mean I struggled to get through fate because the beginning was so boring and I only got one new piece of new info per hour or something. Yes I was originally a zerotard but hey.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    En garde.
    Well idk if I really should give an extended argument, given that you haven't really argumented why you think so, and instead just proceeded to flatly state so.

However, let's pretend for the sake of my sanity that this whole argument is unironic, and let's purely discuss things as they are presented. IE, for example the whole argument about which route is more mature would be useless here since that is not what we're looking at, and instead we're looking at both routes to see if they both present an answer.

Fate is without any sort of doubt a question route. The way it ends, somewhat inconclusively, leaving Shirou's future as open-ended as it gets, the way it mostly serves to present the characters as they are, and mostly serves to show us how Shirou's mind works and his viewpoints, the relationship with Saber is meant to highlight the ideal he pursues, etc. Until there, we are in agreement.

However, one look at UBW tells very clearly that it is intended to be an answer, and a straightforward one at that. It immediately builds up from Fate's themes, and then proceeds to answer the question of how to go about Shirou's ideal in its own way. It is thematically tight, and it is not open ended, as UBW True ends up on a very defined, if on broad strokes, future, and it ends with Archer's "Answer" scene, which is all about, of course, about him finally finding his answer.

Now let's look at HF. Thematically, it doesn't build from UBW, but rather starts building up again from Fate's themes, although it turns and twists them around, giving a circuitous answer in comparison to UBW's straightforward's one (whether one thinks that it was well done or not wouldn't have any bearing in the discussion. IMO it was badly done, the concept was alright, but the execution was terrible). Just like UBW, it is thematically tight (even if I think it did fuck its themes up) and basically just gives yet another legitimate answer. Note how HF True is also another ending with a defined future, again in broad strokes, exactly as defined as UBW True's was.

Yes, each route does build up from the previous one, in terms of story, and each answers different questions. HF answers what UBW doesn't, and UBW answers what HF doesn't. If we look at it as a story, then yes, it is linear, what with the infodumps building up from each route, but if you look at it thematically, I think it becomes very obvious that both UBW and HF build up from Fate, instead of HF building up from UBW.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Still UBW is a good contrast to HF. HF does take for granted that you know archer is shirou though.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Still UBW is a good contrast to HF. HF does take for granted that you know archer is shirou though.
    This is included in my argument.

Further I'd say that if you are trying to linearly think Fate ---> UBW ---> HF in terms of themes, then you'd run on UBW and HF basically contradicting each other.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Yeah Your right but fate->UBW->HF is still the intended order. The climax isn't terribly climatic in UBW (apart from shirou) and also the last bad end in UBW does some nice linking/foreshadowing about the black sun/the holy grail for HF. I did feel somewhat disappointed with the HF climax I expected it to be twice as good as the climaxes that came before it but it was maybe 1.5 times as much. I just felt like there could've been a extra hour or two. I was expecting angra maiyu to do something and sakura's was saved a bit too easily.
    But yeah fate splitting of into UBW and HF makes sense.

Yeah but one of the reason I went through all the slightly boring parts in HF (honestly didn't notice too many cooking scenes-don't really know what people are talking about in that regard) was to reach the epic climax I've been hearing about. Yes it was pretty good but (and I'm quite ashamed to say this) but I wanted moar action I guess. Maybe if more players where involved at that point it would be better but that would further diminish sakura's focus. Sakura vs rin was really epic though and their character arc was the best bit about HF.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't it be funny if you took climax in a sexual way....