Page 228 of 301 FirstFirst ... 128178218223226227228229230233238278 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 6001

Thread: So I've been playing this recently...

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Good point, I guess Evil Within isn't the best example for this.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    really? i found most of the horror for EW1 from the tension of both the atmosphere and the demand to be careful with your resource, not frrom just specific moments

i mean its so apparent in EW2 that they lowered the tension and the atmosphere so much. THe streets in Union is basically bright lit, for example, or the fact that the mook zombie is so textbook boring zombie appearance, unlike in EW1 with various creepy design even for the mooks
    Last edited by castor212; November 6th, 2017 at 01:36 PM.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Atmospheric horror is a far better type of horror than jumpscares or a forced lack of options, imo. Running down a corridor away from a big monster that can't be killed is a good way to build tension, but being in a nice, brightly lit place and having the feeling that something's off, that something's very very wrong, and that you need to figure it out before it murders you or worse- that's really good horror.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I agree. And i get a lot of atmospheric horror from EW1. It doesnt only use the weird dark creepy town kind of horror atmosphere, it also uses a lot of "this place looks normal but fuck it felt wrong as fuck too" horror atmosphere

From EW2 its not only bright; Union in EW 2 doesnt even try to pretend "everything is normal but theres actually something fucked up happening", it literally just shove you in the face "hey here is Union, a town with a zombie outbreak that you can see is plainly happening."

Literally there's only like, 3 proper atmospheric horror scene in EW2; even the jump scares i can count with one hand, and thats only from the optional Anima scenes. The rest of the time the horror is just... not there.

I disagree with you saying EW1 is pretty close to EW2 in terms of horror; my personal opinion and experience feels that they are very different in taste. EW1 I felt the horror and survival. EW2 most of the times I felt like playing action shooting game.

But it is just a personal opinion of mine.
    Last edited by castor212; November 6th, 2017 at 01:41 PM.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Yeah, EW2 was pretty upfront about what it was. It might've been better if it had kept most of the plot from the player, and revealed it piece by piece, but we had a pretty standard "here is your mission, dream world, matrix lite, rescue plot midget, et cetera, et cetera" from the start.

For horror, they probably should've included more Myra from the start, and more fucked up internal landscaping from people in the matrix lite, instead of "hey guys here's a bad art degree reject for you to play with to pad out the game some". They did seem to run a little dry on ideas this time around.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Finally played Metro 2033. I practically ran through each level avoiding what I could. Took only a couple hours. So, that was alright -- I guess. Liked the concept. About steam, over the years I've bought a bunch of games on sale that I've never played once. I should really get on that and make the most out of my gaming library -- pfft, not.

Uh... Battlefront 2, been seeing lots of backlash, lots of butthurt, and lots of cringe. Still gonna play it on the 16th -- have it pre-loaded and everything. It looks great.

マリーの味方
    cringe

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    I saw some Yotubers I watch try out Stick Fight: The Game on Steam recently. The nostalgia of when Stickmen fights were popular with my group of friends at the time in middle school got the better of me. That was like pre-2010 so I checked it out. I had some money leftover and got it and man was it chaotic goodness. I was genuinely laughing so much, with my sides and gut in pain. It was just like how I remembered it but better.

I spent 5 hours straight playing it with some good random people I met and kept with them just now. It's got different stages with different rings setup that go by order, random, or set specifically if you're hosting a game. It has different weapons falling from the sky which are varied from normal and special. Whoever made the Snake Machine Gun is a genius and a sadist. Also, there's some boss rings and whoever gets the mask becomes the boss of it until taken down by others.

All in all, it's the best 5 bucks I possibly ever spent. A trip down memory lane and some good chaotic fun.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I might be able to get a PS4 this weekend, in anticipation of MHW. What kinda shit can I get on it aside from that? Already considering Nier:A. No console shooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    bloodborne, I guess
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Those two and Horizon.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I might be able to get a PS4 this weekend, in anticipation of MHW. What kinda shit can I get on it aside from that? Already considering Nier:A. No console shooters.
    Nioh and Bloodborne tanoshii desu
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, I've been playing Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild for about a week now. First of all, it looks freaking fantastic. Every environment is gorgeously rendered, and I love the aesthetic of this vast ancient civilization that's fallen to ruin and been overrun by nature. Of any game company out there, I can always trust Nintendo to know that post-apocalyptic doesn't have to mean gratuitously dark and gritty.

From a gameplay perspective though, I have to say it's pretty darned hard. Enemies hit a lot harder then in past Zelda titles, and the combo of somewhat unfamiliar controls and weapons being both scarce and breakable means that even a seasoned fan is likely to have trouble. So far my biggest problem is that, as the crouch button is mapped to the joystick responsible for movement it's extremely easy to press it too hard and end up accidentally crouching in the middle of combat, slowing Link down and making it impossible to attack. It only takes a second to press the stick again and resume standing, but that instant is usually more then enough time for enemies to land a few solid hits on me.

Enemies also hit crazily hard, as I said above. It's almost impossible to fool around and experiment with the combat system when a single direct hit from an enemy shaves off almost four hearts at once. I'm obviously still inexperienced with the combat system (damn you, crouch button!), but it strikes me as ridiculous that one strike from a random enemy leaves me on death's door instantly. Hopefully I'll find some armor or something soon to beef up my defense...

So yeah; it's a fun game with (mostly) fluid controls, great graphics and fun characters, but the combat system is definitely frustrating. Guess I'll just have to git gud!

Blog Entries
    PC: Sarevok~~~

Sarevok: What

PC: I'm better at killing things than you.

Sarevok: I am a Deathbringer. I am trained to execute the most perfect blows, an utterly and inescapably lethal assault, a fact you have seen proved quite vividly. I was the vessel for our Father's power in a way you have still yet to understand. You stand here because of luck and treachery and some hideously incompetent ex-underlings of mine, not skill. Silence yourself.

PC:

Sarevok: ...

PC: Say it, Sarevok. Say it now.

Sarevok: ...

Sarevok: You're better at killing things than me.

PC: What was that? I didn't quite hear you.

Sarevok: YOU'RE THE BETTER CHILD OF MURDER I WORSHIP YOUR POWER PLEASE TEACH ME YOUR WAYS.

(I did a reasonably thorough check, btw, and 306 damage one-shots literally everything in 2e other than two avatars I think were misprints and were later retconned, or a single specific avatar of the god Death imported from Lieber's pulp Lankhmar series.

The avatar of the head of the Gnomish pantheon, a level 37 Thief/34 Illusionist/32 Cleric/30 Fighter has 220 HP. IO, high god of dragonkind, has an avatar that is eight hundred feet long and has 24/24/25/25/25/25 stats. It has 200 HP. Jazirian, alleged to be the first and single perfect embodiment of the World Serpent, has an avatar with 200 HP. Annam of the giants, "The Prime, the Great Creator, the fertile progenitor of worlds, the father of gods" has an avatar with 200 HP).

In that paradigm, I kinda want to know what doing three hundred and six damage means.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And that's 306 damage against an ankheg. Poor bug.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    "Shall i show you that, if you reach the extremes of minmaxing, it is possible to kill even a god."

-Seika, 2017
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    This isn't even the extreme of mix-maxing. For one, I still have an upgrade to come in ToB for one of my backstab weapons, which would add another point of damage to be multiplied by eighteen. For two, I'm pretty sure someone on the old BioBoards hit the overflow cap for damage (at 1024) with Mislead Bard Song cheese.

I just really liked beating out Deathbringer Assault on a single hit.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    You hit it so hard it ceased to exist.

How does getting that much damage work here? You got a crit, and then what? Does a crit double damage? How did you do anything around 300 in the first place.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.