Page 213 of 301 FirstFirst ... 113163203208211212213214215218223263 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,260 of 6001

Thread: So I've been playing this recently...

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I think that's because the Japanese style is usually to keep the player playing through repetition and grinding, whereas western devs tend to, I dunno, put more effort into crafting the experience.

I mean, the entire JRPG genre was inspired by (and sometimes not just inspired, but copy-pasted from) Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy/whatever preceded those two, where a party of four of the strongest people on the continent/world would go around murdering thousands of bugs and wolves and slimes that drop coins and herbs and rusted swords or whatever other junk they put in their pockets. I feel like the Western RPG has its roots more in D&D and the like, where you'd expect the evil monsters of the world to be storing their valuables in treasure chests instead of their nonexistent handbags.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    It's funny because so much of FF1 was cribbed from D&D. Like that shitty magic system where you equip spells and only have a certain number of casts per day, or the fact that you fight fucking Mindflayers for Christ's sake how blatant can they get?

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I'll be honest, I've never played much of those games. I tried FF1 years ago on an emulator, realised it'd take more than Pokemon levels of grinding and Alt+F4'd, deleted the game and every trace of it off my computer.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow berseria is good

after waves of mediocre tales story and the disaster that is Zestiria, this is a very pleasant experience.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Digimon World: Next Order.

Man, I have so much nostalgia for this series. They really streamlined everything too, making it real easy for newcomers to get into it. Back in the old days I used to struggle getting a good Champion level Digimon, now here I am rocking two Mega levels. The fact that the hero of the original game returns and they don't say what his real name is (he goes by a nickname due to player input name in the old game) is a real nice touch.

Just a real nice and fun game. <3
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    oh, so it's a sequel to Cyber Sleuth

should I get Odin Sphere for PS3 or Vita?

Banned
    It's not a sequel, Cyber Sleuth is Digimon Story, NO is Digimon World.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    my bad

Blog Entries
    Okay, started horizon zero dawn. So far it's cool as fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So I finally got around to completing "Digimon: Cyber Sleuth" at 165 hours in.

All Digimon collected and raised to LV99, all Coliseums conquered but unfortunately I couldn't be asked to get all the Medals. Still, it was one of the best JRPGs I've played in a long time. The story was good and the gameplay was solid.

Plus I completed it just in time as the next game, "Hacker's Memory" was just announced.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Holy shit NieR Automata, what a fucking ride.

And that ending, the last ending. What the pod asks you to do.

Holy shit I fucking did it. And boy do I feel both bad and good about it. Some poor bastard did it before me, if you get what I mean, I might not have managed it. Figured the least I could do was
    Spoiler:
    help.

Only a few qualms about the game.
    Spoiler:
    First, 9Edge. Way 2 edge for me. He couldn't have just stayed the happy go lucky twit he was at the beginning, could he? They just had to have the Tower be all sadistic as possible, and the director just had to do everything he could to break him. Second, the bosses. I kinda feel like none of the bosses matched up to I MUST BE BEAUTIFUL Simone, in pure design or interest or even atmosphere, although I hear there's a thing with Emil that I haven't seen yet so that could be interesting. The "twins" were interesting, but lacked... everything. Their fights felt really freaking generic, for supposed machine gods neurally linked via network to all the other machines on the freaking planet, and the machine theme didn't match up with their fighting "style". Glowy air string attacks and tossing concrete rubble around definitely do not help, imo. Third, holy shit does A2 look great but feel caustic, her attitude was basically Fuck Off^2, to the point that some of the time I just got annoyed and actually wanted to go back to 9Edge just to get away from her moody teen bullshit. "Well whatever i'll help you if i feel like it", fuck right off pls, I liked you a lot better before you opened your mouth, even back when you were stabbing Extra Spoiler.

The music. Dear god, the music, just 10/10, all the way. Temporary 11/10 for building the atmosphere in the Simone fight, and just that part of the game in general.
    The reveals and twists were great. Explained pretty well why they'd been sitting around in space fighting for 5000 years, though I'm still waiting for an extra few bits of DLC to fill some of those plot holes.

Only question now is, do I replay it for 100% achievement mode or wait for the performance/fullscreen patch so I can fully appreciate the 2Butt in all its 1080p60fps fullscreen goodness?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    Okay, started horizon zero dawn. So far it's cool as fuck
    Wish I could play that.

Fuck exclusives.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    is playing drakengard necessary to play nie/ understand the story

JP Friend Code
    Nope. Outside of a few references and cameos stuff from the drakengard series and the first game don't really appear in automata

It's a stand-alone story that has a deeper connection with the Yorha stage play that Yoko Taro wrote than with the first game

of course if you actually played his other games you'll appreciate the little details more but like i said it's totally unnecessary
    Last edited by Magikewl; March 23rd, 2017 at 03:17 AM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    is playing drakengard necessary to play nie/ understand the story
    It'll be a very strange day the day that playing Drakengard helps anyone to understand anything.

Blog Entries
    i have zero knowledge about Yoko Taro games

ok thanks

JP Friend Code
    I do recommend reading a summary of the stage play though since it offers more background information and gives a bit more insight into one of the characters. There's a version of it inside the game but it doesn't have as much details.

Blog Entries
    got it, thanks

Blog Entries
    You should play NieR first if you want to have some feels during a side character's quest. Beyond that, it's cameos. That being said, I just started playthrough 3, so there could be more.

also, I strongly recommend playing NieR on its own merit. The gameplay isn't nearly as good, but the writing is still great, the dubbing is one of the best (probably in the top 10 of games I've played), the story is fantastic and the music is bananas good. Iirc the soundtrack sold way better than the game. And some of the songs reappear in automata

Quote Originally Posted by Magikewl View Post
    I do recommend reading a summary of the stage play though since it offers more background information and gives a bit more insight into one of the characters. There's a version of it inside the game but it doesn't have as much details.
    Really? Wow, I need to do that.
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.

I've recently replayed older games I hadn't played in awhile, one which was amnesia tdd. Tfw never gonna play a horror game as good as that one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chipathy View Post
    I've recently replayed older games I hadn't played in awhile, one which was amnesia tdd. Tfw never gonna play a horror game as good as that one
    Is that the one where the graphics get increasingly fucked up as you go crazy?