Thread: Christmas Weddings

Christmas Weddings

Disclaimer: I do not own anything to do with the Nasuverse.

Christmas Weddings

As Shiki sat in his chair waiting for the car to get here so that they could begin, he idly wondered whether it would be possible to kill the butterflies in his stomach. His left foot just would not stay still and was beating rhythmically against the carpeted floor of the hallway. He stared out of the window at the snow drifting gently to the ground, it had been a year almost to the day...

This was ridiculous, he mused. He had seen things that would cause most people to die of fright, to be freaking out over something so normal… More than that, this was something he wanted, something he had initiated. Then again, it was still something huge, life-changing, so he supposed it was only natural that he be nervous; even if he was also excited. For there was definitely a sense of anticipation lurking underneath his nervousness.

“Hey Shiki,” a voice interrupted his thoughts. “You’re looking kinda pale, you’re not gonna faint are you?”

He looked up and saw his best friend standing in the doorway leading to the lounge.

“No, I’m fine,” he replied. It was true, he had not fainted from his “anaemia” in years.

“Good,” Arihiko responded. “If I had to carry you up to the altar, people might get the wrong idea.”

Shiki could not help it, he let out a snort of laughter.

“But man,” Arihiko continued. “Your sister really went all out with this.”

More than his friend knew, Shiki thought. He still remembered all the hours Akiha spent behind closed doors with other heads of the Tohno family, not just making sure it all ran smoothly but that it ran at all.

- - -

There was a quite clink, as the glass of water was placed down on the table in front of him.

“Thank you, Hisui,” he said.

“You’re welcome, Shiki-sama,” the maid replied.

Shiki smiled around the glass as he took a sip.

“Are you going to keep calling me that when we’re family, Hisui?” he asked.

“Of course, Shiki-sama,” she answered, and there was just the beginning of a grin at the corner of her mouth.

He sighed, good-naturedly and took another sip. They sat in silence after that, the ticking of the clock the only thing that could be heard.

“I’m sure Akiha-sama will not be much longer,” Hisui said, eventually.

As though on cue there came the sound of many feet clambering down the stairs. Hisui hurried out of the room and from his seat Shiki could hear the sounds of goodbyes being exchanged, followed the large front doors of the mansion slamming shut.

His sister entered a few moments later and she looked exhausted; when she took her seat she fell into the chair, rather than sitting with the poise and grace she normally did. His heart sunk a little, until he noticed the small smile on her face.

“How did it go,” he asked.

“That old fart Arata refused to budge,” she replied. “However, everyone else voted against him so in the end he was forced to capitulate.”

Shiki raised an eyebrow, Akiha had become more relaxed when discussing these things around him but it was still unusual for her to openly insult one of the other heads. Although Arata was a special case, not only was he deeply traditionalist but he seemed to oppose everything Akiha said or did solely on principle.

“I see…” he said. “Thank you for all your help, Akiha.”

“It’s no problem, nii-san,” she replied, as Hisui returned with another glass of water for her. “I’m happy to help the two of you out as much as I can.”

“Still, it feels like you’re doing most of the work,” he responded.

She simply smiled and shook her head.

“As head of the Tohno family, marriages are part of my duties,” she explained. “Besides, it is only right I help after everything – “

“None of that was really your fault, Akiha.”

“Perhaps you’re right, but still…” she replies, shaking her head again. “However, even apart from that I still care about the both of you very much, so how could I not help? Besides, there’s still a lot more work to do now that the wedding can finally go ahead.

“I see, you’ve grown into a fine young woman, Akiha,” he said. He barely held in a chuckle as he saw her cheeks tinge red.

“Geez, nii-san,” she huffed. “Just promise me the two of you will be happy together.”

“Of course.”
    - - -

Now here he stood at the altar, waiting for his bride to show. The butterflies in his stomach felt worse than before but so did the anticipation. He could sense Arihiko suppressing his laughter behind him.

Then the music started and the great doors to the hall swung open. He saw Kohaku walking towards him, wearing an elegant, white dress and a familiar white ribbon in her hair. She looked beautiful. But above all he noticed her smile, her gentle, genuine smile and he was reminded of all the things that had brought them to this point.

He did not know how much time he had left, but he knew he wanted to spend all of it helping her to continue smiling like that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Author's Note:
    Well, there we go, my attempt at something sickeningly sweet for Christmas. Actually, it's a sequel to a story I wrote three years ago.

I'm Going to try and do a another chapter from Kohaku's POV before New Years.
    Last edited by PhoenixAct; December 24th, 2014 at 12:53 PM.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare