View Poll Results: Will Trump be impeached? If so, when?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

4 6.06%
  • 2 years

11 16.67%
  • 3 years

2 3.03%
  • 4 years

0 0%
  • Unimpeached after one term

16 24.24%
  • 5 years

0 0%
  • 6 years

0 0%
  • 7 years

0 0%
  • 8 years

0 0%
  • Unimpeached after two terms

12 18.18%
  • El Presidente For Life cannot be impeached

21 31.82%
Page 1114 of 1121 FirstFirst ... 1146141014106411041109111211131114111511161119 ... LastLast
Results 22,261 to 22,280 of 22404

Thread: General News Thread

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Leo is right
    GHG emissions growth has mostly been because of developing countries
    https://www.climatewatchdata.org/ghg...e=31&version=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    On You's tombstone it will read
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's exaggerating my point.

Across This New Borderline RoydGolden's Avatar
    Leo is right
    GHG emissions growth has mostly been because of developing countries
    https://www.climatewatchdata.org/ghg...e=31&version=1
    Is emissions growth really the biggest concern though? Even if it'd be wrong to stop developing countries from growing their emissions, couldn't it still help for developed countries to lower their static emissions?

Blog Entries
    Like, I'm not going to do the excel rn, but what do you think I'll get if I cross-multiply CO2/GDP efficiency per GDP? There's no reasonably way to decrease carbon emissions out of the developed world, if you're campaigning for that it's all on everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Is emissions growth really the biggest concern though? Even if it'd be wrong to stop developing countries from growing their emissions, couldn't it still help for developed countries to lower their static emissions?
    See above. Say if you want me to do the math, because I can - I just don't want to because I'm doing other things rn. But it's not hard to show that the majority of the problem isn't in advanced economies.

Just integrate the marginal effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    McJon, that attitude alone can kill people. There’s a time and place for your nihilistic sarcasm. But suggesting people should literally do nothing to save energy is playing a very dangerous game.

I’ll still worry for you if you get caught up in one of the ever-increasing number of natural disasters, but now I’ve got a toxic voice in my head saying ‘he wanted this.’

So, I’m sorry that I want to slow the progression of the end of the world by a few seconds? I guess?
    The idea that “normal” people can meaningfully impact greenhouse gas emissions with personal responsibility at this point is more toxic imo. If you really want to have an impact start an eco-terrorist cell and blow up a power plant or something because the window for doing things nice closed like twenty years ago, whoops.

Blog Entries
    just eliminate plastic straws lmao that'll amount to 1/10th of one chinese fractional distillation factory
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Like, I'm not going to do the excel rn, but what do you think I'll get if I cross-multiply CO2/GDP efficiency per GDP? There's no reasonably way to decrease carbon emissions out of the developed world, if you're campaigning for that it's all on everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

See above. Say if you want me to do the math, because I can - I just don't want to because I'm doing other things rn. But it's not hard to show that the majority of the problem isn't in advanced economies.
    I'm probably missing something obvious here, but wouldn't switching to eco-friendly forms of power like solar panels and wind farms help here? Granted it might be currently unfeasible for such methods to achieve the same results as natural gas, but that could be solved by some future political or scientific innovation. (Just imagine how much energy you could get from a whole city with working solar panels on every roof).

Again, feel free to tell me if I'm talking out of my ass here. I'm not an expert on the science of the issue, hence why I mainly defer to the scientific consensus.

El Gato de la Triste Figura Dullahan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.
    きょう
    今日
    あした
    明日
    きのう
    昨日
    わす
    れたい

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The argument was that Draconic said Leo's point that emissions growth was mostly due to developing countries was wrong. But the data shows that Leo's right, and that growth is mostly due to China.
    Of course, it'd help if developed countries lowered their emissions, but wasn't really the question.

Blog Entries
    I'm probably missing something obvious here, but wouldn't switching to eco-friendly forms of power like solar panels and wind farms help here? Granted it might be currently unfeasible for such methods to achieve the same results as natural gas, but that could be solved by some future political or scientific innovation. (Just imagine how much energy you could get from a whole city with working solar panels on every roof).

Again, feel free to tell me if I'm talking out of my ass here. I'm not an expert on the science of the issue, hence why I mainly defer to the scientific consensus.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xide_emissions

You can apply this, roughly speaking. Most of the increasing efficiency in CO2 to $GDP is in efficient internal combustion and electrical. Absent a tech breakthrough we cannot meaningfully (order of magnitude-ish) reduce US CO2 emissions while maintain GDP/capita.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing that'll make a difference to developed world emissions is a massive decrease in the price of solar.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Depends on the city in question, the technology available, the cost, and profitability.
    Basically, you need someone to do a good life cycle analysis to figure out if it's going to help.
    Like with everything else in this world its a case by case basis.

The argument was that Draconic said Leo's point that emissions growth was mostly due to developing countries was wrong. But the data shows that Leo's right, and that growth is mostly due to China.
    Of course, it'd help if developed countries lowered their emissions, but wasn't really the question.
    I was more questioning why Keo changed the subject to emissions growth (as opposed to absolute emissions) in the first place. In any case, I think it's been mostly cleared up now.

Blog Entries
    Because absent a technological miracle you can't meaningfully reduce the emissions on developed economies without reducing standards of living. Ergo, your only hope is hoping deveoped economies get down to a 1st world ration which is still probably too high - so hope the models are wrong!

Beats By Matthew ft. Dr. Para Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    The idea that “normal” people can meaningfully impact greenhouse gas emissions with personal responsibility at this point is more toxic imo. If you really want to have an impact start an eco-terrorist cell and blow up a power plant or something because the window for doing things nice closed like twenty years ago, whoops.
    Reminds me of when I learned that a single flight cancels out a lifetime of living on a podunk farm in the middle of nowhere without a single engine in sight.

- - - Updated - - -

Also ecoterrorism was the conclusion I drew after finishing a filler college course on environmental justice
    Supports:

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    From within the Olympic security apparatus, Henriksen plans to launch a sophisticated bioweapon attack using nanocapsulescontaining the Shiva virus, a mutated form of the Ebola virus that had been previously used by Iran during its biological attack on the U.S. (depicted in Executive Orders). After the epidemic starts at the conclusion of the games, Brightling's company would then distribute a vaccine that actually contains the virus itself, effectively killing the rest of the world's population that are not infected with Shiva. The "chosen few", having been provided with the real vaccine, would then inherit the emptied world, convinced of their justification for mass murder as "saving the world" from the encroachment of destructive humanity.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    stealing this for dnd
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Beats By Matthew ft. Dr. Para Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Shit, what was the book with the ecoterrorist who shaved his head and tattooed a globe onto it
    Supports:

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xide_emissions

You can apply this, roughly speaking. Most of the increasing efficiency in CO2 to $GDP is in efficient internal combustion and electrical. Absent a tech breakthrough we cannot meaningfully (order of magnitude-ish) reduce US CO2 emissions while maintain GDP/capita.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing that'll make a difference to developed world emissions is a massive decrease in the price of solar.
    Well the EU was able to decrease their ghg emissions by 30% from 1990 to 2014 while increasing their gdp per capita by 40% at the same time which is pretty good.

Blog Entries
    I don't know that this is a problem per se, but EU you have to be careful if you do that particular measurement since GDP/Cap might must end up measuring raw growth out of say Poland and not efficiency

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't know that this is a problem per se, but EU you have to be careful if you do that particular measurement since GDP/Cap might must end up measuring raw growth out of say Poland and not efficiency
    https://ec.europa.eu/clima/sites/cli...017_xxx_en.pdf
    This report pretty much lays it all out so that you can't say that

Blog Entries
    I'm actually surprised, I don't go into the individual numbers that much. It'd be a good thing - but I still don't think it gets you anywhere near the general case where the main issue is China/India.