View Poll Results: Will Trump be impeached? If so, when?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

8 8.89%
  • 2 years

11 12.22%
  • 3 years

3 3.33%
  • 4 years

2 2.22%
  • Unimpeached after one term

22 24.44%
  • 5 years

0 0%
  • 6 years

0 0%
  • 7 years

0 0%
  • 8 years

0 0%
  • Unimpeached after two terms

14 15.56%
  • El Presidente For Life cannot be impeached

30 33.33%
Page 987 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 48788793797798298598698798898999299710371087 ... LastLast
Results 19,721 to 19,740 of 29355

Thread: General News Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bad View Post
    I guess that calling that snap turned out to be a really STUPID MOVE huh?
    I'm fascinated by your continued inability to grasp something that I've tried to explain to you very patiently several times. This was not a foreseeable result three months ago. Projecting the present onto the past like this is utterly meaningless: the absolute apex of confirmation bias.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    In Georgia, the Republicans and their allies spent 3 times as much as the Democrats and theirs and only managed to hold onto a supposed safe seat by the slimmest of possible margins. Struggling to only barely win a fucking Deep South HOUSE seat is not a GOOD outlook for the Republicans anymore than the current predicament is for the Tories
    A seat with ATL suburbs that Trump won by 1.5% is not 'Deep South' by most stretches of the imagination. This is what I mean by writing accurately.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    A seat with ATL suburbs that Trump won by 1.5% is not 'Deep South' by most stretches of the imagination.
    Suburbs are Republican bread and better just as much as hollers are, you know that perfectly well.

E: I mean isn't the 6th like, 75% white, that's cookie cutter southern suburb
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I'm fascinated by your continued inability to grasp something that I've tried to explain to you very patiently several times. This was not a foreseeable result three months ago. Projecting the present onto the past like this is utterly meaningless: the absolute apex of confirmation bias.
    It doesn't fucking matter what was or wasn't forseeable, why are you not getting this? She lost her party majority and is liable to collapse completely within months. She fucked up, the end.

E: I have a host of problems with the Napoleon comparison but if we must run with that: it doesn't matter if he thought he could hit Alexander and create a second Austerlitz if he did so, it only matters that he didn't.
    Last edited by 2Bad; June 27th, 2017 at 05:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    It doesn't fucking matter what was or wasn't forseeable, why are you not getting this? She lost her party majority and is liable to collapse completely within months. She fucked up, the end.
    And this doesn't make calling the election wrong. It makes avoiding debate during the election wrong. It makes the tire fire of a manifesto wrong. It makes the Tories' endlessly mocked slogans wrong. But, on the eighteenth of April, May was making a sane and sensible decision.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    "People being voted for endangers democracy." Good to know.
    Imperium May-us

Banned
    And this doesn't make calling the election wrong. It makes avoiding debate during the election wrong. It makes the tire fire of a manifesto wrong. It makes the Tories' endlessly mocked slogans wrong. But, on the eighteenth of April, May was right.
    No, it by definition makes it wrong. She declared war and effectively lost. It would therefore have been better not to declare war.

As an aside though it still probably was better that she didn't go to debates, since between her awful speaking skills and literally 19th century policies that would have mostly been Corbyn beating her with a cricket bat.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Declaring war when all signs point to an overwhelming and total victory is not a dumb move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Banned
    It is a largely meaningless risk when you already control the contested territory.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kareshy View Post
    To be honest I think the winter gets a bit too much credit. It was a major factor, but the Russians realized Napoleon wanted to fight them decisively and then quickly sue for peace so he could leave. Being Russians, they disagreed with this notion with fervor. They burned everything between him and Moscow (Surprise! No pillaging in land that was already pillaged!) and then stayed more or less on the fringes of his engagement range. It drove him nuts, and he plunged his army way too far into enemy territory with no logistical support in pursuit of the notion that if he could just get those motherfuckers one good time on the nose they'd be willing to take a favorable peace.

It's not something I've said here, but I have said it before; Napoleon was smart, but he was nowhere near as smart as he thought he was.
    "The Russians" wanted peace. Alexander, on the other hand, didn't, and this greatly angered the nobility. However, as in the reign of Catherine II and again later under Nicholas I, the nobles forgot that they were in an increasingly absolutist state and couldn't do much. Alexander was shrewd with his choices of generals in a time when Russia had an excellent crop of such, and his denial of resources to the French invaders was not only unprecedented, it was also controversial. It was a gamble that cost the lives of a million serfs, not to mention the soldiers lost in battle, but ultimately one that Alexander made bank on. Western leaders loved him, and Russia was definitively brought into the fold of European politics as an equal player - for better or for worse.

Napoleon won a number of important battles, and against other leader perhaps Borodino would have been the nail in the coffin, but Alexander refused to have peace. Russian winter and geography hadn't much to do with the failure of the invasion; Russian territory was trampled on successively by Lithuanians, Poles, and Swedes in their times. By the time the winter had set in, the war had arguably already been decided. He invaded in July, which was the intelligent thing to do as he avoided both the winter and the rasputitsa. Winter is certainly one danger of the Russian landscape, but that can be prepared for; you can't deal with mud in quite the same way.

It wasn't a matter of Napoleon not being 'smart,' but his goal (defeating Britain economically) being too important to give up, the stakes (the promised liberation of Poland, his fragile alliance with Prussia+Austria) being increasingly high, and Alexander showing exceptional tenacity and capacity for sacrifice. If anything, Napoleon's chief failure was diplomatic, not military. He refused to compromise or step back on the issue of Poland, and when terms of peace were given to him - even remarkably favourable ones, at times - he made it clear he would only accept a full victory. Difficult, no doubt, but all ambitious things are so. It's easy to judge with 200 years of distance between then and now, and the modern lens of past events made quite comfortable with the rise of armchair history.

Anyhow, that's off the topic, I just felt like making a point there. I don't feel like joining in with the main debate because talking back and forth with Rodyle is like playing squash.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    ilu2 5

I would make two additions though: on the diplomatic front, Napoleon cost himself a lot by continuing to keep Talleyrand around after repeatedly choosing to not do what Talleyrand said, because then the foremost diplomat in Europe was now telling Alexander, who really WAS tempted by the whole "oh we'll be the twin imperial staves of europe" pitch, not to make peace with Napoleon under any circumstances.

Of course Talleyrand was also one of the ones at Vienna who would rush around trying to pull the rug out of Alexander's feet, along with Metternich of course, because Russia being at the table didn't mean that anyone actually wanted Russia involved in affairs in the West at all. Can't have those Easterners overstepping their bounds.

Blog Entries
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40418457

I don't see what the problem with letter grades was
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    No, it by definition makes it wrong. She declared war and effectively lost. It would therefore have been better not to declare war.
    Wouldn't that mean the Democrats should have picked Bernie.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40408576

Survey suggests more Brits supports higher taxes.

The view that it was acceptable to use legal loopholes to pay less tax was most strongly felt among people who were better off

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How very British...

"Man hit by bus, only to get up and walk into a pub to order a beer."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...it-bus-thrown/
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-40419819

Police chief during the Hillsborough disaster to face manslaughter charges.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Blog Entries
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I can't tell from my phone if that story is old news from when old senaturle (I just made that up, plz don't steal!!!) said the exact same thing or if the writer and editor conventiany ignored that he did so two days ago when putting together there list of how this is totes new y'all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    I'll admit I didn't read ​the story, it's just a very good tweet.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I do love the "If we don't get together, we may have to govern like we were intended to" tone.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.