Thread: Fate/Reweaving - A Retelling of the Beginning

Fate/Reweaving - A Retelling of the Beginning

Author Comments:

Hello everyone! This is both my first post on these forums and my first fanfiction (ever). I'm nowhere near as advanced in my understanding of the Nasuverse as some folks here are, and I was therefore originally a bit wary of posting this here. That being the case, please be gentle with your canon corrections, and I'll try to adjust for those, if I feel that it fits the story I'm trying to tell.

That all having been said, this is a fiction cross-posted from archive of our own, where there's a whole lot more chapters already posted. Note that I will be updating there first, and while I'll try to keep on top of this thing on these forums, I can't promise I'll be as up to date with it as it is over there. I hope you're all willing to take the time to enjoy this with me!

Summary:

The Fifth Holy Grail War is upon Fuyuki. Once more, magi gather to a land distant to their worldview, that they might seize an imitation of an ancient Christian relic - and with it, the power to seize for themselves a single wish. With might drawn from an ancient ritual, they summon Servants - spirits of historical and mythic heroes - as familiars, intent on killing each other off or forcing surrender.

However, things have gone… strangely. The Mage’s Association’s official representatives never had the chance to leave London, having been injured quite terribly. Young magi take on the role of Masters as puppeteers attempt to pull the strings for their own benefit or entertainment. A Grail, corrupted by evil and damaged by past conflicts bubbles in its hidden sanctuary. A stranger and his strange Servant wander the streets, interfering with the plots of others in pursuit of their own.

These are changing times, and Fuyuki must change with them, no matter how many bodies are piled high or how much blood is spilt.

Table of Contents
    Chapters 1 & 2 (Below)
    Chapter 3
    Chapter 4
    Chapter 5
    Chapter 6
    Chapter 7
    Chapter 8
    Chapter 9
    Chapter 10

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter 1: The Endeavor Begins
    Antarctica, Somewhen
    The freezing Antarctic winds tore through the man’s thin cloak, biting at his flesh and attempting to tear what little heat he had from his physical body. Unmoved by both frigid temperature and screaming gale, he stared at the tear in space with eyes like burning embers. It was finally time to investigate this with his own eyes, experience it with his own body. Or at least something like that, anyways. The thought should have alarmed him more than it did.

Before he could pursue the thought further, a cold, emotionless voice broke into his thoughts. “Having second thoughts, contractor?” The telepathic sentence was as much a statement as a question.

The man cast a glance at the being that approximated a small girl who stood at his side. Like him, she was not wearing nearly enough clothing to survive in this harsh climate. Unlike him, this was because she was a Heroic Spirit – a dead hero (or “hero,” in her case) brought back through potent magecraft.

Seeing no reason to lie, he answered her. “Yes.” For all that he spoke aloud, his voice cut through the howl of the wind with ease. “Self-doubt is healthy when you have the power that I do. Nevertheless, I shall not abandon this pursuit.”

The Servant eyed him flatly. “Such was your decision before, as well.”

“I have changed a great deal from who I once was.”

“But have you changed enough?”

“We shall have to see.”

The wind picked up, sending their clothing flapping and bringing with it a powdery burst of snow. The man took a step forwards. “Are you prepared? As you will be?” He felt her shift to become more human – her hair grew gold, her eyes bluer, and her skin took on a more healthy color – before she responded.

“I’m a little afraid, but I’m sure that God is with us. We… are doing the right thing, right?” Gone too was the flat, emotionless tone.

“I hope so, child. I hope so."

The child nodded, before patting his hand. “Let’s go, then, mister.”

“Yes.” He took her hand and stepped into the rift. Almost immediately, it shut behind them, and the plains were once again empty of sapient life.

Chapter 2: A Hostile Meeting
    Trigger WarningWhen you get to Shinji's perspective, there will be an attempted rape.

Sakura
    Matou Manor, Fuyuki, Evening, 25th January 2004
    Shinji was shouting again, and for once it wasn’t at her. Matou Sakura had only just opened the door to her home when she heard her brother’s furious voice. Welcome back, Sakura. Welcome home. A bitter thought, well suited to coming back to this place. I want to be gone from here. A foolish wish, a desperate prayer. One destined never to be fulfilled. Focusing on the present, she listened to her brother’s histrionics.

“- come in here to our house without permission from – “

“Be silent, child. You test my patience, and I warn you: my compassion for the weak and pathetic extends only so far.” A man’s voice, one she did not recognize, cut him off. It was calm, almost quiet, but it nonetheless reached her just as well as did Shinji’s.

Sakura could hear Shinji choking with rage as she moved quietly inside, taking off her shoes and keeping herself as small and unnoticeable as possible. If Shinji felt confident enough to be this loud to a guest, that meant that their grandfather was not smacking him down – he was at least implicitly supporting him.

The stranger continued with admirable patience. “As I have already said, pursuing your path further is a greater folly than you can possibly imagine… But perhaps, you wouldn’t care, even if you believed me.”

“While the whelp is loud and intemperate, he is right in one thing.” Her grandfather hissed. “You have broken into my home uninvited, and dare to confront me with ultimatums?” Sakura shivered. She’d heard that tone of voice before. As I thought. Grandfather is supporting Nii-san in this.

“Zolgen, you fool. You know exactly two things about me, both of which you have already stated. First, I was easily able to enter your house without your bounded field triggering against me. Second, I am more aware of your plans than I have any right to be. These two things should make you very cautious.” The stranger’s voice was edged with silk. “Because you have no idea who I am – only that I am powerful, and know you.”

Zolgen? Sakura wondered. Very few people used that name to refer to her grandfather – and none of them were normal people. Shaking herself, Sakura began moving away from the voices, hoping not to interfere, but as she approached the stairs, she heard a young girl speak. “Good evening, onee-san.” A young, blond-haired girl looked up at her from her seat on the bottom stair.

A foreigner? An American? Sakura frowned briefly before bowing politely. “Excuse me. Who are you?”

“Nobody important, really. You can call me…” The girl spoke perfect Japanese, surprising Sakura. She stood up, curtseying at the older girl as she considered the question. “Hm. Well, my friend told me not to give my name to strangers.”

“Ah, I am very sorry.” Sakura nodded, her heart beating rapidly against her ribs. Something about the girl was… wrong. “My name is Matou Sakura. Can you tell me what to call you, at least?”

“Hmmm…” The girl’s brow furrowed adorably. Sakura’s stomach twisted with anger. How dare this child come here with that false cuteness. How dare she-
    Sakura shook herself mentally. What's wrong with me? I’m not Nii-san. And if I get angry, grandfather will hear us. Nevertheless, her hackles had been raised, and she eyed the girl warily.

The child looked at her, a mask of innocence on her face. Sakura fought down the anger further, trying to focus. “I apologize. I was distracted.”

“They’re very upset. Your family.” The foreigner observed. “My friend is trying to convince them, but they’re not listening very well.”

Sakura paused, realizing that now it was her grandfather whose voice was raised to its limit.

“You have no grounds to break in and threaten me, who- or whatever you are or whatever your reasons!” Zouken shrieked furiously. “Your intrusion is noted, and I shall ensure that you regret it – however briefly!”

“Zolgen…” The man sighed. “I warned both you and your get that my patience is limited, and my compassion falters before your foolishness. Should you pursue this course of action, I will respond appropriately.” The stranger’s voice was still calm, but there was an edge of venom to it. “Very well. It seems that you will not listen to reason. Fare well… or test my words, and do not.”

Footsteps came closer to the stairway, and a man wearing a ragged black cloak over somewhat dirty white robes turned around the corner. Eyes like glowing coals met her own, and narrowed. “Matou Sakura.” He said, his voice surprisingly soft – almost gentle. “Greetings. I see you’ve met Foreigner.”

“Mister!” The girl rushed to his side. “I didn’t know if I should say – “

“It’s fine. She won’t tell.” His lips curved upwards in the approximation of a smile, but something was… wrong with the expression.

Unnerved, Sakura still remembered her manners. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t help but hear your conversation…” She bowed politely, tearing her gaze away from his. Something’s wrong with him. No wonder Nii-san was so frantic.

“I know.” The stranger said. “That was the idea.” He reached into his robes and withdrew a small object – a gemlike orb. “Here.” He pressed it into her hand. “When you leave this place and never intend to return, eat this. It will… aid you.”

“Wh-what?” Sakura gaped at him, utterly baffled. Eat a stone? This… unless it’s some sort of Mystic Code? She’d heard her grandfather mention such things, but she wasn’t sure that you were ever supposed to eat any of them.

The girl giggled, apparently pleased with this development. Now deeply disturbed, Sakura stepped back from the pair. “Excuse me, I… I need to go.”

“Fare well, child. Until we meet again.” The stranger turned and walked away, the little girl following in his footsteps.

Sakura, meanwhile, made her escape up the stairs, clutching the odd orb. Something about it was oddly compelling. It would be best if Zouken never saw it. Nii-san and grandfather are both angry right now… I wish I hadn’t come back. Another pointless desire. She could not leave. This house was a prison – even if it was one with invisible chains. As memories welled up within her, threatening to overwhelm her, she rushed up the stairs and into her room, throwing herself on the bed. Stomach revolting against the terrors and nightmares, she wept silently until she finally found sleep. It offered her no refuge.

Shinji
    Matou Manor, Fuyuki, Evening
    Shinji looked to his grandfather, wary. “Grandpa, I –“

“Be silent, boy.” Zouken snapped. “This is mage business, not for the likes of you.”

Bile rose in Shinji's throat, but he swallowed it back. He knew who had the power in this house, and who didn’t. With a muted nod, he backed away as his grandfather left for his workshop. Fury pulsed in his temples. He was helpless, again. First that asshole foreigner came in and treated him – him! – like a child to be ignored, and then his grandfather doubled down on it.

He stormed towards the door, only to pause and look at the shoes arranged there. Sakura. That little bitch thinks she can come in without telling us? Probably listening in and laughing at me. With her magical circuits and power. I’ll show her.Turning on his heel, he stalked upstairs towards her room. “Oi, you think that you can come in and –“ He reached for the doorknob, and a wave of nausea swept over him. Staggering, he grimaced. What the hell was that?

With a shove, he opened the door and found his sister curled on the bed, twitching and sweating. Bitch is dreaming about being fucked. Shinji reached towards her to wake her and suddenly staggered again as agony burned its way across his whole body.

He barely had the chance to yelp before a cough tore through his lungs and he doubled over, tears dripping from his eyes. He tasted blood in his mouth, and spat – a dark red substance splattered onto the floor as another wave of pain shot through him. Wetness oozed down his face, out of his nose, and along his chin as he thrashed. His throat closed – he couldn’t scream, couldn’t make a sound. He grabbed at his hair, his face, his stomach, anything to stop the pain… and finally, it subsided – at least enough that he could move again.

Shinji reached up to his face, wiping away some of the wetness. More blood? What…? Had his grandfather cursed him or…? No. No, it had to be that stranger, that crazy bastard. Pushing himself off of the floor, Shinji looked at the sleeping Sakura again, but hesitated. No, not yet. Once I get grandfather to get rid of the curse, then I’ll deal with her.

He stumbled back downstairs, agony shooting through him with every step. Finally, he lurched into his grandfather’s workshop. “Grandpa-“

Zouken did not even turn to face him as he spoke, voice icy. “Shinji. I told you to leave. Me. Be!”

“No, of course, but I think that guy was a mage and-“

“Only just figured that out, did you? You’re even stupider than your father and your uncle combined… and worth even less.” The old man finally turned to him, and a hairless brow twitched upwards. “What happened to you? Fuck up with a knife?”

“No, I mean, I was saying I think he cursed me.” Shinji replied, already regretting coming.

“Hmph. Without my knowledge?” Zouken looked more carefully at him, uttering a few phrases before frowning. “Damn the thing, it did. How?” He turned away from Shinji, muttering to himself as he looked around through his books.

“Grandpa, can- can you get rid of it?”

Zouken’s head snapped up to glower at him. “Silence. I need to look into this. Come here.”

Shinji approached gingerly. This was a mistake. The rising certainty twisted his stomach in a much more mundane way than the spell had. Zouken examined him more carefully, poking, prodding, and taking blood off of his wounds. With a few words, he banished the pain, and Shinji straightened, relieved.

Finally, Zouken spoke again. “I could reverse it if I wanted, but I see no reason to do so.”

“Wait, you didn’t get rid of it?” Shinji asked, stiffening.

“No, I merely healed the damage it did. To remove it would take resources that I would not want to waste on you. Prove to me that you’re capable of being useful, and I will consider it…”

“How?”

Zouken smiled with vitriolic humor, and told him.

Last edited by endwaar; May 19th, 2023 at 03:13 PM.

Chapter 3: Visions of the Past, Promises of the Future
    Rin

Tohsaka Manor, Early Morning, Fuyuki, 31st of January 2004
    Tohsaka Rin was exhausted. Never a morning person, she had been having nightmares recently – mostly of her father. It’s been a decade… but I guess it makes sense. The Holy Grail War is about to begin again. Her notional guardian, the fake priest, had been pushing her to summon a Servant or come to his church and surrender the right to do so.

I’ll do it later. She rubbed her eyes as she pushed herself towards preparing for the day. Catching a glance out the window, her brow furrowed. “Huh… it’s really dark out right now…” Whatever. Got to get to school.

The morning air was crisp, and the wind had an unpleasant bite to it as she made her way through the empty streets. Even with the cover from its chill that the nearby buildings gave, she was forced to huddle into her clothing, resisting the urge to warm herself with a spell. Nobody’s looking yet, anyways. Strange. I guess it is really cold out… But where are all the people?

She passed another few blocks and saw no sign of anyone. The eerie quiet of the streets… was there some sort of holiday? No, she was positive of that. A bounded field to encourage sleeping in? God, I wish. She pushed onwards towards the school, and was nearly there before she saw any signs of human life.
    A man – he looked like a foreigner – stood on the corner of a street, looking thoughtful. He was unusually tall, and wore a dark coat – almost a cloak – with a hood that he had pulled up, presumably against the cold.

Strange. Even though it is the foreign district, you don’t see many foreigners anymore. Just the remains of their presence. Like her own manor. Or the old graveyard nearby to it. As she passed carefully around the foreigner, something caught her eye – specifically, the stranger’s own. They… glowed. Like embers ready to flare into fire. Suddenly uncomfortable, Rin sped up her pace.

“Take care.” She heard him say. “You’ll freeze out here if you don’t hurry.”

She is six years old again, and running in the snow.
    “Careful, Rin! You’ll catch your death out there!” Her mother’s voice calls. For as long as she can remember, her mother had been concerned about her health. Even her father, for all his stoicism, sometimes acted worried. It was very strange – she has never gotten too sick.
    Turning back, she looks to her mother, laughing and smiling –
    Tohsaka Aoi sits in a wheelchair, eyes vacant as she stares at Rin. Dark red handprints cover her neck. The little girl rushes to her mother’s side. “Mama? What’s wrong?” Her mother does not respond, not even turning to look at her. Her heart begins pounding as her throat slowly closes.
    Her father. He would know what to do. He always did. She turns, running back towards her house. The malign snow stifles her, grasping at her legs and arms, pulling her back from the door. Each step seems to make the distance to her home, to safety, increase. “No, no, no!” With a panicked surge of will, she is suddenly there. Reaching up, she pushes the door open –
    Her father lies on the floor of the church, in a pool of blood. A white-haired monster grips the bloody knife as it turns towards her. One half of its face is a frozen nightmarish mask, while the other is twisted in a foul smile. Something terrible gleams in its good eye.
    “Riiiin…” The voice is like her father’s, but all wrong. “Come here, Rin…”
    A primal shriek tears itself free of her throat, and suddenly she is back in her home. Turning about, she looks around. Her sister! Where is Sakura? She needs to make sure her sister’s safe. She runs through the halls, shouting for her, calling, desperately searching. She races up the stairs, and throws open Sakura’s bedroom door. Not here, not here!
    “Nee-san.” A voice, flat, emotionless, comes from behind her. Rin turns and faces her baby sister. Something is wrong with her – she’s wearing the ribbon, but her dark hair is now purple, and her blue eyes the same. Her gaze is filled with a depthless sorrow, but she does not cry. She cannot.
    Instead, Rin finds her own eyes filling with tears, and she reaches for her sister –

“No!” The agonized howl erupted from her throat as she returned to the present. Tears burned in her eyes, and her heart pounded hard. What the hell was that? She dashed the tears away angrily, before quickly looking around to see if anyone had taken note of her disturbance. There was no one. Wait, no one? She turned swiftly to look at the stranger, but he, too, was gone, as though he’d never been there at all. Her heart clenched, and she began walking again, quickly. All weariness had been destroyed by that… vision, or whatever it was. I need to investigate that, but not… not now.

Outside Homurahara Academy, Early Morning

Once she was almost at Homurahara, she stopped, taking a deep breath to calm her jagged nerves. Time to be the model student again. With that, she walked the last stretch to the Academy with a calm manner. But there are still no students. It’s 7:30! They should be flooding the streets. Where are they? She took another breath, trying to calm herself.

“Ah, it’s Tohsaka.” A young woman with brown hair approached. Like Rin, she wore the uniform of a second year at the school. “You’re up early.”

Mitsuzuri Ayako. Rin sighed inwardly. “Good morning, Mitsuzuri-san. Please excuse my sudden question, but what time is it, exactly?”

“Uh. It’s almost seven o’ clock, Tohsaka. Why, are you sleepwalking?”

Dammit. It took much of Rin’s self-control to keep herself from scowling. For all that Mitsuzuri was one of the few friends who knew she was not a morning person– it was still sometimes quite grating for someone to know her so well.

“No, I guess all of my clocks were an hour fast. Not just the alarm, either…” Rin allowed herself a small, appropriately displeased frown. “The wall-clocks too.”

“This is why I keep saying that you need to get a digital clock or two. They’re easier to read and less likely to jump ahead an hour randomly.” Mitsuzuri grinned at her.

Rin laughed politely. “You know I don’t want to bother with all that wiring, Mitsuzuri-san.”

“I swear, people like you are so outdated. It’s like you’re already in your eighties or something, with how little you like that stuff.”

Rin fixed her with a glare, but Mitsuzuri laughed it off. “Well, you might as well come to the archery club dojo for a bit, since you’re here and all.”

“Hm…” She considered for a moment. It’s not like I have anything else to do… And something in her was still worried from that vision earlier. Maybe she’d be able to see Sakura… She quashed the thought as unworthy. On the other hand, I might have to meet her brother. Ugh.

“C’mon, Tohsaka. I’m here to look after the new recruits, since one of our aces left. It’ll be fun.”

“Alright, since you’re so insistent.” Rin nodded. Mitsuzuri led her towards the dojo, casually conversing with her. From this, Rin learned that Mitsuzuri's younger brother was having some sort of trouble with romance – “I’m surprised he can even get anyone’s attention” Mitsuzuri noted – and that Ayako herself was hoping they’d be able to get to regionals this year.

Soon, the two arrived, and entered into the dojo. “Mitsuzuri-san.” Rin said.

“Mm?”

“There’s no one else here.”

“Yeah, we’re a little early.” She waved a hand airily. “In the meantime, would you like some tea?”

“Yes, thank you.”

Mitsuzuri busied herself preparing some tea as the winds from the open side of the building brushed over them.

The other girl spoke as she poured the tea into cups. “Hey, Tohsaka… remember that bet we made? Found someone yet?”

As indelicate as ever, Mitsuzuri. Rin resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “How direct can you be? Anyways, from your question, I take it you have found someone?”

“Me? No comment.”

This time Rin allowed herself to roll her eyes. “Again, huh? Well, since you’d probably see through me – no, I haven’t. Too busy. Aren’t you the same?”

“Ah, yeah. I guess so.” The club captain shook her head.

“Remind me, why did we decide to make this bet, anyways?”

“You started it, saying that it was a problem for a woman to have no boyfriend…”

Oh. Right. I guess I did say that… She had honestly forgotten. It was one of the performative statements she all too often had to make to keep up her image. She’s so serious about this… A pointless competition, really, but somehow… Rin really didn’t want to lose.

They continued chatting in the pointless, everyday fashion for another few minutes. Somehow, I feel like I have to treasure these moments… Rin realized, before wondering why she felt that way. Maybe it was…

“Say, Mitsuzuri-san… have you met any foreigners around here recently?”

“That’s a random question. Why do you ask?”

“Oh. I just… I saw someone on the streets this morning when I was walking to school.” Now why had she asked that? I’m still rattled from that vision thing… Saying more than I really should.

“Hmmm…” Mitsuzuri looked thoughtful. “I haven’t heard anyone mention any- now, wait. I heard Matou mention that people should look out for some crazy foreigner. Said he’d harassed his grandfather at home. He called the guy a beggar, but, well, you know him. Probably some sort of salesperson, I guess."

A salesman? Harassing Matou Zouken? No, that was… unlikely. God, I hope I don’t have to talk with him. The old bastard’s really creepy. That was a thought unworthy of a magus, she knew, but it was true nonetheless. Maybe the fake priest can deal with it. Kotomine Kirei was infinitely less disgusting than Zouken.

“Hm… I guess that might’ve been him, then.” Rin glanced at the clock. “Oh. I guess it’s almost time for your club members to arrive, no?” She rose to her feet just in time to hear the door open.

A girl with dark purple hair and eyes entered, bowing politely. “Good morning, Mitsuzuri-senpai – ah.”

Rin inhaled sharply. Sakura. Something in her clenched tighter at the sight of the hair and eyes. She’s safe. She’s alive. Rin tried to suppress that part of her. Her eyes aren’t dead the way they were in that… vision. Wait… Looking closer, she saw dark circles under her younger sister’s eyes. Sakura… are you alright? No. No, that wasn’t a worthy thought from a magus. Always elegant. Her family’s motto – or at least her father’s.

As she had been struggling with her emotions, Mitsuzuri had greeted and welcomed the younger Matou. Rin looked to the captain. “Well, I suppose I’ll head out, then. Thanks for the tea, Mitsuzuri-san. It was nice to see you, Matou-san.”

“Yes, thank you for visiting, Tohsaka-senpai.” Sakura bowed to her politely.

Chest still tight, Tohsaka Rin left the dojo behind, back out into the cold. God, now what?

“Oh, Tohsaka. Good morning. Lucky of me to see you.” A man’s voice interrupted her brooding.

Rin sighed inwardly. As she’d feared, here was Matou Shinji, the annoying bastard. I really didn’t want to deal with him today. Nevertheless, she offered him a polite smile. “Good morning, Matou-kun. You’re early today.”

He smiled, a manic air hovering about him. “Yes, I’ve been feeling very good recently.”

“I can tell.” She said, neutrally. “If you’re looking for your sister, she’s inside with Mitsuzuri-san.”

He waved that thought away. “I know, I came here with her. Are you already leaving?”

“I have no reason to stay here any longer.” Rin shrugged. “Do your best out there, Matou-kun.”

“Wait, I-“ Shinji reached for her, only to cough, going pale. Something about that tugged at the back of her mind, and she took another look at him, though she kept well away.

Strange… that looks like some sort of curse afflicting him. As the primary representative of the Mage’s Association in the area, Rin supposed it was in her interest to learn why he was under such an effect… It’s probably from his grandfather, though. And he probably deserved it. Shrugging mentally, she made her exit while he was still distracted.

Homurahara Academy, Early Morning

Upon entering the building, Rin almost immediately encountered Ryuudou Issei, the Student Council President.

“Gah.” Issei grunted, obviously displeased to see her. “Tohsaka…”

“Good morning, president. My, you certainly are doing your due diligence, coming here so early.” She offered him a pleasant smile, more than aware that it would only annoy him more. I wonder why he took me to be his enemy in the first place? Is he so petty about me rejecting the idea of going to temples on the field trip? She shook her head inwardly.

“You’re one talk, Tohsaka. You’re here unreasonably early… what are you planning?” Issei frowned at her, as she had been certain he would. “You’re not in any clubs.”

She shrugged gracefully. “I felt the need for a change this morning.”

The president eyed her suspiciously, but didn’t have a chance to speak before a red-headed young man joined them. “Repairs are done, Issei.” He glanced briefly at her.

Emiya Shirou. Rin swallowed down a surge of unusual anxiety.

“Ah, my apologies Emiya. I keep pushing work onto you, even though I’m the one who invited you here.” Issei responded.

“If I don’t do it, who will?” Shirou asked somewhat philosophically. “Since I’m here, I might as well. Where to next?”

“Ah, there’s a few other places. I believe the audiovisual room has some issues…”

As they prepared to leave, Emiya cast a glance back at Rin. “You’re up early, Tohsaka.” With that, he left, taking his friend along with him.

Controlling her breathing, Rin calmed herself. Was that… supposed to be a greeting, Emiya-kun? She shook her head slightly. What a weird guy. Just… working on jobs that are a janitor’s duties. It had been unexpected to see him – and even moreso to interact with him (inasmuch as that had been an interaction). They rarely came into contact, and yet… Well. Whatever. I’d best get to class soon.

Tohsaka Manor, Evening

School was, as always, somewhat tiring. There had been an endless cavalcade of watchers, as ever, but at least the friends Rin had spent time with were somewhat relaxing. None of them poked too deeply into her life, and she was able to lower her guard somewhat because of it. An eminently businesslike friendship. Those were the easiest to deal with.

Unlocking her door with the usual invocation (“Aufschloss”), she stepped inside. Almost immediately, she noticed a light on her answering machine blinking. After dealing with all the usual rituals upon returning to her house, she went to check it.

“Rin.” As I thought, it was you, Kirei. She shook her head as the message continued. “I’m sure you know, but the deadline is tomorrow. It’s a problem for me if you take it too lackadaisically – there are only two positions remaining. If you wish to abandon your right to become a Master, contact me today – it takes time to dispatch a substitute.”

That liar. He could easily arrange for such a thing, and a magus would be here on the next flight from London.

“You’re already manifesting a Command Spell, so quickly summon a Servant. Otherwise, if you value your life, come here to the Church quickly… the other Masters are merciless.”

With that, the message ended. “That…” She sighed. Fake priest. He’s so infuriating. He wasn’t wrong, however. If she wanted to live up to her father’s legacy, she would need to summon a Servant… tonight. After midnight. When my magic waxes the strongest. She glanced at the red amulet her father had left her, charged with a lifetime’s worth of magical energy. I’ll trust you, father. This will serve as my catalyst.

Tohsaka Manor, After Midnight

The ritual had been… a success? Rin looked at the white-haired Heroic Spirit who lounged on the ruins of her couch. He examined her in turn, his brow furrowed. I didn’t expect it to be so… human. I know Servants are records of heroes from the past, but I thought they’d be more like familiars than… people. The silence stretched on. I have to make the first move.

“Are you my Master?” He asked before she could, his tone somewhat incredulous. “This is the first time I’ve been summoned with an explosion of all things.”

“I should be asking you whether you’re my Servant. You manifested up here rather than in my workshop!” Rin replied, nettled by his tone. She looked around the remains of her living room. “And destroyed the room, at that.”

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “It is hardly my fault you are so inept a Master to manage a summoning this rough.”

“I have to ask again. Are you my Servant?”

“Big words for someone who nearly failed a summoning. Aren’t there other things you ought to ask first?”

“No. Hierarchy is important, and if you’re not my Servant, I’ll need to deal with it.”

“Hierarchy, huh… Fine. If I were to be your Servant, I have a question. Are you a worthy enough magus for me to acknowledge you as Master?”

Rin bristled. He smashes my house, talks down to me, and now he’s asking if I have the qualifications to be his Master?! A thought occurred to her. “You…” She waved her left hand at him, showing him her Command Spells. “Are these proof enough for you?”

“Hmm. Certainly you have the sign, and attitude, of a Master.” He sighed. “Unfortunate, really. I suppose that does make me your Servant.”

She glared at him, her teeth clenching. You… were you some kind of king, to judge your summoner? You’re a familiar. So… She lifted her hand. “By the power of my Command Spell, I order you: obey my words!” The burst of magical energy enveloped both of them, and the Servant flinched.

After a moment, he looked at her with an air of disappointment. “You realize that Command Spells are a miracle of power beyond modern magecraft, yes? And that they are most effective when used for short-term commands – things like ‘kill them’ or ‘come to me.’”

Rin flushed. She hadn’t known that. There was so much her father’s notes didn’t talk much about, including the previous wars. Even her Magical Crest, the crystallization of her family’s experiences and knowledge, had offered her no further insights. Even Kirei, who had known her father well, refused to speak on it in any detail.

“Well,” her Servant relented, “you’re a talented enough magus that I’m already feeling it difficult to disobey you. Guess you might well be worthy of fighting alongside after all. I’m the Archer class Servant for this Holy Grail War.”

Archer? Not Saber? She had hoped to summon the strongest class. Apparently her disappointment was obvious, because Archer smirked. “I may not be the best Servant, but I will fight as hard as any.”

“I’m Tohsaka Rin. Call me whatever you want.”

“Alright. I shall call you Rin.”

An unexpected heat rose in her cheeks. He’s just a familiar. A Servant. Calm down. With a quick breath, the calm returned. “Alright, Archer. Let’s win this together!”

He nodded sharply. “Let’s.”

“For your first task…” She considered the ruined room. “Clean up this mess. I need to go get some sleep.”

The Servant looked at her incredulously before sighing. “Yes, Master. Damn you.”

She waved him an airy goodnight and went upstairs to get some rest. As soon as she fell to sleep, nightmares twisted their way into her mind, denying her the proper rest she so desperately needed after the day’s trials.

Last edited by endwaar; May 15th, 2023 at 03:17 PM.

Chapter 4: Peaceful Evening

Author Notes
    Note that I tried to keep Sakura's struggle with her Crest Worm-induced arousal tasteful and make it clear that it's traumatizing her. If the text goes against the rules in any way, I'll adjust it.

Shirou

Fuyuki, Evening, 31st January 2004

Emiya Shirou made his winding way back from school. It had been a long, satisfying day, working with Issei for the student council, then doing some repairs to help out other students. Now it was past sunset, and he could finally get home, cook dinner, and do some evening practice of his magecraft. After parting ways with the student council president, Shirou walked the freezing streets in silence.

Strange, there’re so few people about tonight. The cold might be keeping them in, I guess. Or it might be some of the rumors. Murders, gas explosions, and a crazy foreigner – according to Shinji, at least. It’s getting dangerous to let Sakura go home alone, I should walk with her…

He was nearing his home now, the familiar wall on one side with houses on the other. There was the Yamada home, followed by the Samegawa household. There was the silver haired little girl staring at him, and past her was the corner he would turn to head home.

Wait. Little girl? Shirou froze, breath catching in his throat. Standing further up the hill was, indeed, a small girl with silver hair and red eyes. She wore a strange, heavy hat, a small purple jacket, and a scarf. He couldn’t speak, caught between instinctive terror and alarming enchantment.

“You have to summon it soon, onii-san.” She said, dancing closer to him. The movement was oddly carefree, given her words. “Otherwise you’re going to end up dead.”

Before he could muster his scattered wits to reply, she was gone. Shirou remained still for a few moments, bemused. That was… strange. With a mental shrug, he pushed onwards to his home. The lights were already on – Fuji-nee and Sakura were almost certainly already there.

He entered, pulling off his shoes as he called. “I’m home!”

“Senpai, welcome home.” Sakura’s soft voice greeted him immediately. Was she waiting at the door all this time?

“Ah, Sakura, I’ve made you wait.” Shirou looked up at her before pausing, his eyes widening. The young woman looked unusually pale, and the dark circles under her eyes were even more pronounced than they’d been for the past week. “Are you alright? You shouldn’t push yourself too hard. If you want, I can take you straight home now…”

“No, no, I’m fine!” Sakura objected strongly, almost swaying with the intensity of her emotion.

No, you’re definitely not okay. He kept his mouth shut, however. If she wanted to push on, that was her choice. He would help her when he could, but... her body was hers to manage.

“I… unless you think I’m a bother?” She asked before he could respond.

“Of course not, Sakura.” He hurried to reassure her, placing a hand on her shoulder. “If you want to stay for dinner, that’s fine too. Speaking of which, it smells delicious…”

“Ah, thank you.” She bowed slightly. “I was just using the recipe you taught me last week.”

“Hm…” Shirou sniffed the air. “You used a different spice, didn’t you?”

“Oiii~” Fujimura Taiga’s voice echoed down the corridor. “Stop flirting, you two. Sakura-chan hasn’t let me eat while you weren’t here, Shirou!”
    Sakura’s cheeks flared red. “Fujimura-sensei, we’re not flirting!”

Shirou sighed. “Fuji-nee… there should be some limits to your teasing.” He muttered, walking down the entranceway with Sakura. The young woman shifted slightly, and he quickly looked to her. There was a brief flash of pain – one so swift he wasn’t sure it had been there at all.

“Sakura.” He said firmly as they entered the dining room. “Sit. I’ll serve. You’re clearly not well.” He touched her forehead lightly and she trembled, pulling away swiftly.

“N-no, I’m fine, Senpai.”

Taiga looked up at them. “Sakura-chan, you shouldn’t push yourself, especially not when he’s around to do it for you.”

“I-I couldn’t-“

“Sakura… Please, if not for yourself, do it as a favor to me.” Shirou said as he moved towards the kitchen to begin taking out the food.

“Okay.” She finally relented, seating herself next to Taiga.

Sakura

Emiya Household, Evening
    Once the food was set out, Shirou joined them and all three began to eat. Sakura fought back the weariness that threatened to make her hand tremble as she ate. Her eyelids felt like sandpaper every time she blinked, and she swayed slightly as she struggled to stay awake.

Shirou’s voice saying her name brought her out of her reverie.

“S-sorry, Senpai. What was that?”

She met his gaze and swiftly regretted it. It was sincere, direct, and very concerned for her.

“Sakura-chan, you really don’t look well. Have you visited a doctor?” Fujimura-sensei asked her.

“N-no. I’m just tired, is all. I’ve been having trouble sleeping recently.” That, at least, was true. For the past five days, she’d been having recurring nightmares. I thought I’d gotten over them… But no, they had returned in force. Maybe it was because grandfather made me summon… I don’t know.

Shirou touched her shoulder. “Sakura, should I take you back to your house now?”

“N-no, not yet. We can at least wait until after dinner. What was it you were saying, Senpai?”

“Oh, right. Shinji told me that a weird foreigner visited your house.”

“Knowing Matou-kun, it was probably worded more strongly than that.” Taiga observed, and Shirou shrugged awkwardly.

For her part, Sakura stiffened. Those eyes, burning bright. The not-quite-a-smile. The eerie little girl who had so angered her. “So he told me, yes.” She lied. That’s mage’s business. I can’t get Senpai involved in it. If he knew anything about it, he’d try to help, and then grandfather… That didn’t bear thinking any further about. Nevertheless, the reminder was enough to assuage her guilt for the moment.

“Did he have silver hair or red eyes?” Shirou asked, looking back at her.

She put a thoughtful frown onto her face. “Not that Nii-san told me. Why do you ask, Senpai?”

“Hmm.” Shirou rubbed his chin. “I just met a little girl with both of those features on my way home from school.”

Taiga looked at him strangely. “Are you sure you didn’t imagine her, Shirou? A little girl out after dark? Nowadays?”

That last gave Sakura pause before she remembered the rumors of the murder. Privately, she suspected she knew the origin of that rumor, but she really didn’t want to think about that.

Shirou considered that seriously. “I’m pretty sure I didn’t imagine her, Fuji-nee. She said something weird.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, something like ‘You’ll die.’”

“You were threatened by a little girl?” Fujimura’s voice was incredulous. “Shirou, I think you need to get sleep as much as Sakura-chan does. Just don’t do it together.” She added hastily. “Kiritsugu would never forgive me if I raised Shirou to do such a thing to an innocent girl!”

Shame and sudden arousal twisted in Sakura’s stomach. Self-loathing pulled bile into her throat, and she forced aside tears that she would never have had difficulty with if she wasn’t so exhausted.

“Fuji-nee…” Shirou began, but Sakura interrupted before he could (accidentally) make her feel any worse.

“Sensei, Senpai is not like that at all!” The effort of raising her voice caused her to sway forwards again, and dark spots filled her vision. No… I can’t… sleep.
    Darkness consumed her.

Emiya Household, After Midnight
    Sakura woke in the middle of the night, in an unfamiliar room. Her was heart pounding hard and sweat soaked the fabric around her, as did other, more shameful fluids. She gasped for air, fighting down rising panic. Where am I? Her eyes, still painfully dry, swept through her surroundings. This was… Shirou’s home. He had clearly put her to bed after she collapsed at dinner. Her cheeks warmed at the thought of him carrying her to bed, before a horrifying thought occurred to her – I… I can’t be here. Nii-san and grandfather will… She wasn’t really sure what they’d do, but she had no doubt it would be very bad for Shirou.

She stumbled to her feet, fighting back dizziness as she groped for the door. She was halfway down the hall before it occurred to her to wonder at her current state of relative undress – she was wearing her Senpai’s clothing… Heat burned in her cheeks at that thought, spreading down through her stomach and even lower. She fought it back long enough to realize something. Fujimura-sensei. She must have done it. Senpai wouldn't have. Even her sleep-clouded, nightmare-ridden mind recognized that she would have volunteered to take care of Sakura after she fell asleep.

The only problem was that she didn’t know where her uniform had gone. Thus, she stumbled half-blind through the halls of the Emiya manor, not entirely sure what she was looking for. Something she couldn’t quite put a finger on drove her onwards until she arrived at a door that looked half-familiar. Is this… the laundry room? She hoped so, sliding open the door and entering. Inside, a shock of adrenaline surged through her as her eyes fell on the room’s sole occupant. Emiya Shirou, sleeping in his own futon.

No! I shouldn’t be here! He’ll, he’ll think I’m… The thought was pushed back by the sleeping face of the boy she loved, and she slowly allowed herself to lie down beside him. I’ll leave before he wakes up. It won’t hurt just to relax here for a while… As her body went horizontal, sleep seized upon her once more. As she drifted off, she caught one last glimpse of Shirou before her eyelids grew too heavy to keep open.

Her sleep was undisturbed by nightmares for the first time in almost a week.
    Last edited by endwaar; May 15th, 2023 at 04:22 PM.

Chapter 5: A Most Strange Day
    Shirou
    Emiya Household, Before Dawn, 1st February 2004
    Wakefulness came to Shirou, despite the earliness of the hour and darkness of the house. Something was different. It wasn’t just that he was in his own room and futon rather than the workplace in his shed, nor was it that he’d had a strange dream of swords, or that he’d been awoken by some strange noise or the urge to go to the toilet.

What is it, then? His eyes still closed, Shirou scanned through the sensations he was experiencing. Warmth that had been collected overnight from his body heat. A slight ache in one leg, as though he had slept on it funny. The weight of his futon’s outer layer and of someone else’s body half-laying on him. An oddly pleasing scent.

Wait. What? Shirou jumped, his eyes shooting open as he looked to see who was in the room with him. Sakura?!

Sure enough, the purple haired-head was alarmingly close to his own, and (if he wasn’t imagining it) he could feel the gentle pressure of her breasts against his arm. His heart leapt into his throat as he tried to slowly extricate himself from her still sleeping grip.

What the hell’s going on? Why is Sakura here?! Did I take her to my room by mistake? Did I do something to her? His heart threatened to beat itself out of his chest at that thought, but a quick scan of both himself and Sakura revealed that they were both fully clothed. No blood either. Of course not. A weak laugh escaped his lips. She’s Shinji’s little sister. And for all his flaws, Shinji was still his friend. I wouldn’t touch her like that. Our relationship is purely platonic. Having reassured himself of his completely and totally platonic affection for Sakura, he turned his mind to the task at hand – getting out of her grip without waking her up.

Miraculously, she had only barely stirred during his brief panicked jump and subsequent laughter. As he eased his arm away from her grip, he looked at her, concern from the previous night returning. He’d been shocked when she’d collapsed, and (with Fuji-nee’s prompting) had taken her to one of the guest rooms to sleep her exhaustion off. For her part, Fuji-nee had called Sakura’s grandfather to tell him that she had been studying with her, and had fallen asleep at her place.

Looking at her again, he smiled slightly. Trouble sleeping, huh. He knew that feeling. Even now he had his own nightmares about the terrible heat of those decade-old flames. Though they had long since gone to ashes and been built over, they burned on in his dreams. I definitely prefer the dreams about swords, strange though they are.

As he finally managed to free himself, Shirou sat up and looked down at his kouhai. She looked… peaceful. It didn’t seemlike she was having any nightmares. Even if she wasn’t wearing a blanket, she wasn’t sweating or shaking.

Still, why is she in my room? Maybe… yeah, she must have woken up in the middle of the night, gone to the toilet, and gotten lost on the way back. That was the most logical explanation, after all. She definitely wouldn’t have been here performing yobai. She’d spontaneously combust at the thought. Sighing softly, he gently put the blanket over her sleeping body. Hopefully, she won’t realize where she is when she wakes up. That would embarrass her almost as much.

With that particular issue dealt with for now, Shirou quietly threw on some extra clothing against the cold, exited his room, and made his way to his workplace in the shed. Gotta practice. I missed it last night with Sakura’s fainting… As he passed through the courtyard, the wind bit and tore at his exposed skin, chilling him to the bone – by the time he arrived at the shed, it was difficult for his cold-numbed fingers to manage the lock. After a few fumbling attempts, however, he managed to get inside.

Shutting the door behind him, he set himself down on the floor and began to focus. “Trace, on.” Immediately, the searing pain of his forcibly created magical circuits swept through his body. According to Kiritsugu, his adopted father, magical circuits were cultivated in bloodlines over generations. Eugenicists. Shirou had only a very few, and none terribly good ones, whatever that meant. He would have to prove the idea of magical circuits being the sole measure of a spellcaster wrong, if only to himself.

The pain shot through him again. Focus, Shirou. This was the riskiest moment. If he messed up now, it might well kill him. At best, it would cripple him for life. Finally, the pain subsided, and he connected the circuit fully. Time to practice – reinforcing the junk in his shed was hardly exciting, but it was absolutely necessary to build up – or at least maintain – his skills. Such as they are, anyways.

After about fifteen minutes, Shirou rose to his feet and let the magical circuit fade. Stretching, he promised himself that he would do some extra time tonight, and made his way back through the cold. Time to cook breakfast.

Emiya Household, Morning
    Fuji-nee arrived as Shirou was making breakfast. “Smells great, Shirou!” She called as she entered the dining room. “Eh? Where’s Sakura-chan? She didn’t leave already, did she?”

“No, she’s still sleeping, I think.” Heat surged up his cheeks as he recalled where she was sleeping. At least he was facing away from Taiga – she wouldn't be able to see his embarrassment.

“Hmm.” Surprisingly, Taiga didn’t tease him about that at all. “She must have been really tired.”

“Yeah. I think she’s pushing herself too hard, so I didn’t wake her.” Shirou agreed. “Maybe I should ask her not to come at night – especially since it’s been so weird recently.” He turned around and began setting the table.

Taiga looked thoughtful. “I wonder… it might be a good idea.”

Maybe you should avoid doing it too. Shirou didn’t say that aloud, though – for one thing, she would ignore him as she was his guardian. Secondly, she was probably one of the people best suited to protecting herself in the whole of Fuyuki. I definitely wouldn’t want to be the guy who was idiotic enough to attack her. She’d thoroughly beat him in sparring often enough for him to know that.

As he returned to the kitchen to serve the food and tea, he heard a shuffle from outside the dining room.

“Good morning, Sakura-chan. Do you want some breakfast?” Taiga greeted Sakura as though she was the one who had made it.

No, Fuji-nee, you’re just as much a beneficiary here as she is. Shirou shook his head, before rejoining the women in the living room. Sakura had apparently found her school uniform in the laundry room and gotten dressed. She looked unusually harried, with her hair messier than usual and her clothing slightly off-kilter.
    “Morning, Sakura.” As he spoke, eyes fell on her chest momentarily and he recalled the sensation of her breasts pressed against him. Immediately, he felt himself blushing at the thought. No, that’s unworthy of me. Stay focused.

“Good morning, Senpai.” Looking up to meet her eyes, Shirou noticed that her cheeks were rather pink. Clearly, she had realized what had happened last night, too, and was just as embarrassed as him to remember it.

It was an innocent mistake. Shirou reminded himself. Nothing untoward. He was certain of it. Positive, even.

“Here, I made breakfast.” He gestured for her to sit.

Sakura did so, before bowing her head deeply to him. “I’m sorry for being such a bother last night, Senpai, Fujimura-sensei. I’ve been having nightmares recently, and it’s made it hard to sleep.”

Shirou frowned, concerned. I guess she’s carrying her burdens too. I wonder what I can do to help her with those…

“It’s fine. You’re always welcome to stay overnight.” Taiga said cheerily.

“Fuji-nee… at least ask the owner of the house’s permission before giving it freely.”

“What, did you intend to deny it to her?” His guardian looked at him with a catlike grin.

“Of course not! I’m just worried that her family will be concerned if she stays over at a man’s house. You said she was resting at yours last night, but that’s not going to last!”

“Ah, no, I couldn’t trouble Senpai like that again.” Sakura interjected before Taiga could respond. “You already do so much for me, Senpai.”

Shirou shook his head. “Not at all. You’re always taking care of me, Sakura. I want to return the favor sometimes.”

The young woman’s cheeks reddened slightly, and she mumbled something to herself.

“Hm? What was that, Sakura?” He asked.

“Nothing, Senpai.” Sakura offered him a bright smile, causing his heart to skip a beat.

Clearing his throat, he continued. “Fuji-nee and I were just discussing that you’d been pushing yourself too hard. We were thinking that maybe you should go right home after school rather than coming over here…”

“No!” Sakura interrupted him with surprising assertiveness. “No.” She repeated, this time more calmly. “I… being here is comfortable. I’m not pushing myself at all. I’ll… I’ll go back if I’m a bother.”

She’d said the same thing last night. “No, you’re not a bother at all, Sakura.” Shirou said hastily. “If you want to keep coming, do so. Just… maybe I should walk you here from school and back to your house from now on. Things are getting a bit less safe at night around here.”

Sakura looked at him oddly, hesitating.

“Shirou, I can do it instead. That way Sakura-chan doesn’t have to wait for an extra hour for you to leave school while you’re helping maintain the place.” Taiga volunteered.

Hm. That’s unusually responsible of her, at least for non-school related things. Fuji-nee was a capable teacher, for all her flaws as a guardian. And as an adult. But she always comes through in a pinch. “Thanks, Fuji-nee. I appreciate your help.”

Taiga nodded firmly, puffing out her chest proudly. “It’s my duty as a teacher and an adult to protect my young students.”

“Speaking of your duties as a teacher…” Shirou glanced at a nearby clock. “Isn’t it time you need to get going?”

Fujimura’s gaze shot up towards the clock, and she made a dismayed noise. “Ah, alright. Always demanding of my time… Now, play safe you two!” She rose to her feet. “Oh, and thanks for the food, Shirou!” She bobbed her head as she swept out the door.

No, well, you invited yourself over. Not that he minded. He owed a lot to Fuji-nee, and it was good to see her happily eating his food.

Once she had left, Shirou looked to his other guest.

She returned the glance inquisitively.

“Sakura, if you do want to stay over again, let me know. I don’t mind having a housemate like you over.” He smiled. “It makes the house feel a little less empty, and it’s fun to cook with you.”

“Yes!” Sakura’s smile returned, more radiant than before… then faded after a few moments. “Um, Senpai?”

Detecting a serious note in her voice, Shirou looked at her more closely, scanning for any signs she might still be overly exhausted or otherwise distressed. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know that that’s a good idea. Nii-san is already… he’s angry with you.”

“What? Why?” He asked, baffled. I haven’t done anything to offend him, have I? Casting his mind back over the past few weeks didn’t illuminate him on the subject. He’d been spending more time with Issei than with Shinji of late, but… that might be more cause for loneliness than anger.

“Why? It’s not like we got into a fight or anything.”

“It… it may seem like that to you, but Nii-san thinks otherwise. Please, be careful.”

Of Shinji? That seemed… unlikely. True, he was also a highly talented member of the archery club, and might know some other martial arts, but their relationship hadn’t turned that poor, had they?

“He’s been in a worse mood than usual…” She said quietly, hanging her head. “And I think he’s brooding about that time you hit him.”

“That? That was a year ago, though…” Surely he has more on his mind than just that. Shirou had punched Shinji back then for how flippantly the other boy had mentioned that he was striking Sakura. “I just felt like it.” Shinji had said. An old pulse of anger surged within Shirou. “He’s not hurting you again, is he?”

“N-no.” She shook her head. “Not really. He’s just… I think he sees you as his enemy.”

That was ridiculous. They’d just hung out last week. “Are you sure about that, Sakura?”

“Well… mostly.”

“Hmm…” He wasn’t sold on the idea, but looking at Sakura’s sincerely concerned expression, he relented. “Alright, I’ll be careful. I think you might be overreacting, though.”

Sakura hesitated. “I… thank you, Senpai. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

He smiled lopsidedly. “Well then I’ll have to ensure that I keep myself safe.”

Sakura checked the clock. “Ah, I have to go too, Senpai. Club activities are starting soon.” She rose, before glancing at him again. “You… aren’t coming back to archery club, are you?” It was more a statement than a question.

“No.” Shirou touched his shoulder, where an old work accident had left him an unpleasant-looking burn scar. “Shinji was right when he said it’s a bit indecent to show it off whenever I’m shooting. Even though I don’t think it would hamper my actual aim… I’m just a bit busy nowadays.”

She nodded sadly, clearly having expected that answer. “Well, Mitsuzuri-senpai keeps asking about you, so… I thought I’d ask.”

“Thanks, Sakura. Oh, and by the way…” He swiftly jumped to his feet and went to the kitchen to grab her lunch. “Here.” He handed it to her.

“Thank you, Senpai.” She bowed.

“You didn’t have time to make it, and I did.” He smiled at her with a shrug. “Don’t worry about it.”

With another bow, she hurried off to school.

Fuyuki, Morning
    About half an hour after Sakura left for morning practice, Shirou began his own journey to school. The chill air was less frigid than the day before, but dark clouds hung above, blocking sunlight and keeping him (and the other pedestrians) from getting any extra warmth. He was only a few blocks away from Homurahara when he saw a strangely dressed man standing on a street corner, arms folded. The man wore a white robe beneath a ragged black cloak, and his hood was pulled up, presumably against the cold.

Is he part of some kind of new cult? Shirou wondered at his garb. And he’s a foreigner…

Before he could continue the thought, the dim sunlight caught on the man’s eyes. His eyes were an unusual golden shade, visible even at three-meter distance between them. The way those eyes caught the light… it was like they were glowing. Glowing like… fires.

The terrible flames that consumed whoever he had been. Screams, the scent of burnt flesh – all too like pork. He tumbles through the searing building, pushed by hands too large to be real. Black, burning sludge pursues him, devouring everything in its path. He flees, burning buildings collapsing before him, and the impact knocking him back. The memories, who he was, burn with the buildings. He curls up, hiding as the conflagration immolates his whole world and then – his hero steps out of the ash, extending a hand. "Thank you," the hero says. A gentle smile glows on Kiritsugu’s face and-

Shirou looked up into the blazing eyes of the hooded man. He’s tall! Was his first inane thought, followed swiftly by shock. How had he gotten so close?

“A child of fire, are you?” The man’s Japanese was perfect – even the slightest shifts in accent made it sound like he had been born and raised in Fuyuki itself. “Yes, I see. I should have anticipated that.”

What? Baffled, Shirou stumbled a step backwards.

“Ah. I alarmed you. That was not intentional. I apologize.”

“Ah, no.” Shirou ducked his head. “I wasn’t looking where I was going. I was distracted.”

The man made a noncommittal noise. “So it seems.”

“I’m Emiya Shirou. Apologies for the late introduction. May I ask who you are?”

“I?” The man considered for a moment, his head tilted as though in thought.

Shirou shivered, his heart pounding in his throat. There was something… off about this man. What is it? Why?

“I am a stranger, I suppose.”

That answer startled him enough for his unease to momentarily fade. I knew that. That’s why I was asking. He coughed, a plume of steam escaping his mouth. Maybe he’s less fluent than he seems. “Sorry, I thought… never mind. What’s your name?”

“Hm. I have yet to decide that.” The stranger looked down at Shirou curiously. “You are lost.”

What? The instinctive distress was creeping its way up his spine once more. “No, I’m in Miyama. I’ve lived here my whole life.”

“True.” The man (what was so strange about him?) acknowledged. “But you are lost nonetheless. Without a light. Seeking something, always searching… but not in the right places.”

Shirou shook his head, baffled. “I don’t… I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you’re saying.”

The stranger continued. “That which you strive against is just as important as that which you strive for.” He fell silent a moment, gaze piercing Shirou like a burning spike of iron. “Ah. Do not lament that you are lost. Most humans are. Indeed, the wisest might even seek out being uncertain… while the most desperate cling to whatever landmarks they can.”

“What are you talking about?” The steam on his breath twisted away into the sky.

The stranger seemed to ignore his words. “But you must be cautious. Events are already apace, and you will find yourself in a place that you have no wish to be. You… well. You will see.” He made a sound that in any other person, Shirou would have identified as a chuckle.

A thought occurred to him. Wait, is this… “Were you at the Matou Manor recently?”

The stranger’s lips peeled upwards in an approximation of a grin. “I should have expected that. Foolish child. I’m certain his progenitor will be displeased.” The man fell silent, looking up. A fat snowflake drifted slowly down and landed on his face before he returned his unblinking stare to Shirou. “Until we meet again, Emiya Shirou.” He turned and began walking away. As he disappeared, Shirou finally managed to figure out what had so instinctively disturbed him about the man.

Steam. His breath wasn’t steaming. Whatever that meant… No, it’s probably just that he’s been out in the cold for long enough that his temperature’s adjusted. Yeah, that’s got to be it. Somehow, he couldn’t convince himself of that.

Snow began falling faster and thicker. Shirou swallowed, hard. I should get going. I might be late for class. Fuji-nee won’t let me forget it if I’m late for homeroom. The thought impelled him, driving him into a hasty walk, and then a run.

As he turned the next corner, the stranger spoke again. “How your father would weep to see you now.” The words went unheard by any save by the drifting snow and empty streets.

Homurahara Academy, Midmorning
    Shirou arrived just before the bell rang, and immediately felt an odd exhaustion welling up inside of him. I guess I must be out of shape. He gasped a breath in. Or the cold’s taking more out of me than I thought. He brushed the swiftly melting snow out of his hair as he rushed inside. By the time he arrived in class, he was already five minutes late.

Fujimura-sensei looked at him, a brow furrowing. “Emiya-kun. Do try to come on time tomorrow.”

I was so close… now I’ll get an earful from her tonight.

He heard a soft snort from behind him. Shinji was leaning back in his chair, a faint sneer on his lips. Reminded of what Sakura had told him earlier, Shirou took a brief look at his old friend. There was an air of arrogance to him now that he almost didn’t recognize. While it was true that Shinji was always smug to some degree, this level of disdain for the rest of the world was new.

What’s going on today? It had been a really strange day, and it was only quarter to eight. It can’t get any stranger from here on, can it?

Homurahara Academy, After School
    In truth, the rest of the day was reassuringly normal. The snow stopped falling at around noon, and Issei had been asked about what had delayed him at lunch. For reasons he could not quite explain, Shirou had lied, saying he lost track of the time and then got caught in the snowfall. Issei had accepted this with a mild reprimand, and then the two had gotten to work on the various tasks around the school. Nevertheless, through the entire day, exhaustion weighed heavy on his shoulders.

Now, as the last lessons of the day came to a close, Issei was there once more. “Emiya. Are you in a rush to go home? There’ve been some complaints about a broken heater in Class 3-A.”

“The seniors’ classroom? Huh.” Shirou considered for a moment. “I can take a look. I’m not in any rush to get home.” Fuji-nee said she’d bring Sakura over, anyways.

The two walked together, and Issei continued. “Your help is always appreciated, Emiya. I wish I could do more to help. Or that I could get the janitorial staff to do some of it.”

“Nah, they’re busy enough as it is. If I can fix it, I will.”

Issei sighed, putting a palm over his face. “You… they are almost certainly the least busy janitors in any school for a hundred kilometers.”

“Besides, Issei.” Shirou interjected. “You’re busy enough with your work for the student council, which I can’t do, but you can. I’m just doing what I can do to help.”

“Yes, but I also rely overmuch on you for those labors as well.” Issei said with a frown. After a moment, he relented. “I suppose I shouldn’t be scolding you for being diligent.”

No, you really shouldn’t. You work harder than any three other students. Shirou shook his head.

“Unlike some people.” The student council president said, his voice bitter.

Hm? Who’s gotten him so bothered? With that tone of voice, though, there could really only be two people. Shinji hasn’t been especially troubling today, so… “What did Tohsaka do?”

Issei grimaced. “It’s what she didn’t do that’s the problem. Namely, come to school today.”

Shirou shot him a look. “Do you keep track of all the students’ attendance?”

“No. But I have to keep an eye on Tohsaka, or else she’ll end up plotting something more troublesome than she already is.”

Issei… He shook his head inwardly, before frowning. Why did Tohsaka skip school? And for the whole day? She was known as “Miss Perfect” throughout the school – easily the most popular girl in Homurahara. Worry nibbled at the back of his mind. Did something happen? Even though normally, he would have dismissed the thought, the recent rumors combined with his strange encounter earlier in the morning… Tohsaka’s a beautiful girl. Other people might want to try to hurt her.
    Their meeting the previous day rose in his mind. It was… difficult for him to talk with her. She was, in point of fact, too beautiful for him to be comfortable with. Too perfect? Like an immaculately sculpted idol to be placed atop a pedestal. Sakura’s a lot more approachable- wait, what the hell am I thinking?

“Ah, Kuzuki-sensei.” Issei’s voice brought him out of his thoughts before he could make any further excuses.

“Ryuudou. Emiya.” Said the severe ethics teacher, Kuzuki Souichirou, by way of greeting.

“Good afternoon, sensei.” Shirou bowed.

Kuzuki nodded, before looking back to Issei. “Ryuudou. Have you received the report from Ayazaki?”

Issei frowned. “No. The journaling club has been slow.”

“Mm.” The teacher’s perpetual frown deepened. “Very well. I will speak with him.”

“Thank you for your hard work.” Issei replied. Kuzuki’s sole reply was a brief nod.

After the older man left, Shirou looked at Issei. “Issei, does he ever relax? He always seems tense at school.”

The other tilted his head. “Kuzuki-sensei is a very private person. I don’t see him relax very often, even at the temple.” Issei frowned. “I’m not even sure I’ve ever seen him smile, not even with my brother.”

Why his brother? Before he could ask the question, they arrived at Classroom 3-A, and Shirou was swiftly distracted with his work.

Chapter 6: Scouting Fuyuki

Rin
    Tohsaka Manor, Early Morning, 1st February 2004

The alarm clock that woke her was as intrusive as ever, and Rin was forced to shift out of bed – although she’d rather have spent another hour or two at rest. The previous’ night’s events had drained her even more than usual, and…

Wait. Archer! I summoned a Servant for the Holy Grail War! The memory drove her up and out of her covers’ warm embrace and out into the rest of her manor. Her… startlingly clean manor. The scent of tea wafted through the air. What?

She stumbled down the stairs, pausing and blinking at the seemingly untouched state of her living room. “Ah, Rin.” Archer emerged from the kitchen, before looking at her closely. “You look like hell, Master.” He observed, clearly amused. “I suppose I’ve learned something new about you today.”

Rin grunted, annoyed, but her mind was still too clouded by sleep to speak more coherently than that. Archer sighed, before gently guiding her to her sofa. “Sit. I’ll serve tea and breakfast. You… wake yourself up.”

As he did so, Rin slowly became more aware. Looking around the better-than-ever room, she wondered. I thought he was a Servant… how the heck is a Heroic Spirit so good at cleaning up? It was almost annoying to admit that he was better at it than her. Soon, he brought her tea and food, and as she ate, her irritation with him grew. He’s better at this than me, too. Who is he?

Archer looked at her, before nodding. “You look like you’re more awake. Let me help you get ready, and then we can discuss our next move.”

He walked off, towards her bathroom and returned with a hairbrush. When he made as though to touch her hair, she jerked more awake, her cheeks reddening. “Wh-what do you think you’re doing, Archer?!”

The Servant smirked at her. “Helping you get ready for the day? You look like you need it.” He cast a look around the room. “Living alone in a western mansion like this… you’re quite capable, but if we’re going to work together in this Holy Grail War, we need to work together.”

Embarrassment at his actions turned to embarrassment at his compliment, and she looked away. “W-well. You’re not wrong.” With that in mind, she let him brush her hair out as she gradually woke herself up.

“Archer.” She asked, finally vocalizing a question that had been bugging her since last night. “What’s your True Name? Who were you, in life?”

He hesitated, before looking away, somewhat abashed. “I wish I could say. I honestly don’t remember anything about my origin or my name. I know what I am, and all of my skills are intact, but…” Archer sighed with a shrug.

She shot him a startled look. “Nothing? That’s not normal, is it?” Did I actually botch the summoning?

“No, I don’t think so.” He replied wryly.

“Do you even know what wish you’ll make if we win this war?” Rin pressed.

“Hm… I don’t. World peace, maybe?” He shifted a penetrating gaze to her. “What about you, Rin? What would you wish for?”

She hesitated, unsure of how to answer. What do I want? Her family back. I don’t think that the Grail can do that, though. Really, why was she participating? To honor father’s memory. Not that she was going to tell Archer that.

“I’m not sure, either.”

“Really?” Archer lifted an incredulous white eyebrow. “Why even fight if you don’t have a wish in mind?”

“Because I want to win. Who wouldn’t? This is a fight between great heroes and powerful magi. I want to be the one to take the prize.”

He looked at her oddly, before laughing aloud, the noise bereft of the mocking humor she would have reflexively associated it with. “Very good. Two lost souls fighting because we have no other ideas what to do. Let’s win this war, Master.”

Rin nodded firmly. “Good. Let me go get dressed, it’s almost time for school.”

Archer frowned. “Rin. You’ve entered into a war now. Your daily life is forfeit. Going to school – especially consistently – is going to paint a huge target on your back, because other Masters will know where you are at any given time."

Rin frowned in turn. She hadn’t thought of that. “Hm… but how would they know I was a Master at all – before meeting me, I mean?”

“They won’t… but Servants can detect other Servants at close range, and Masters other Masters. Particularly skilled magi – and probably the Caster class Servant, as well – could extend the range of that sense.”

She considered. That would require a lot of skill and a lot of power. Other than Caster, there aren’t any magi native to the area that could do that. The fake priest would have told me that much, I’m sure of it.

“How likely do you think it is that a Master will be at school, though?” She inquired.

“I’m not sure, but being cautious will keep you alive.”

“And I can’t exactly take you with me to school, can I?”

Archer shook his head. “No, you can. Servants can dematerialize to minimize the magical energy that we need to maintain our existence.” He demonstrated, disappearing into motes of golden light. “In this state, only our Master and other Servants can detect us.” The words were silent, entering into her mind directly.

“And we can communicate with telepathy…” Rin mused aloud.

Archer reappeared, nodding. “Yes. However, I still recommend against going to your school. We need to scout the area to see if we can find any Masters or Servants, if only to get a sense of where to strike or what to plan for.”

Rin considered. “Alright. Today we can do that.” A thought occurred to her. “Wait… of course! I may have met with a Master – or Servant – yesterday. I didn’t think of it at the time.” Why didn’t I? Panic, probably. It had been an altogether terrifying experience.

“You did?” He looked at her sharply.

Rin told him about the stranger she had met the day prior, skipping over the specifics of what she had seen and only mentioning that it had given her a deeply unnerving vision.

Archer frowned. “You said his eyes glowed?”

She nodded, suppressing the shiver the memory gave her.

“I wonder if he was a Caster Servant with powerful Mystic Eyes. He could be a Master, of course, with the same.” Her Servant’s brow furrowed.

Memories of her previous brush with a Caster class Servant, a decade ago, returned to her unbidden. The manic gleam in the bulging eyes, the hideous laughter, and the pleasant smile of his bizarre Master. If Uncle Kariya hadn’t intervened… No. No, she wouldn’t think about him.

Instead, she turned her mind to the present. What sort of famous magi had Mystic Eyes that might inflict psychological damage? She wondered, thinking to both mundane and magical history lessons. For all his flaws as a guardian and priest, Kirei knew a great deal and had taught her… some of it. I can’t help but feel he’s never going to teach me everything I should know, though. That was probably just her dislike for him speaking. For all that effort, however, she couldn’t figure out who fit the criteria.

Archer, meanwhile, had been cleaning up the tableware from her breakfast.

“Alright, Archer. I’m going to go get ready. We can scout the city – get a sense of what’s where, and who might be making bases in different parts of it.”
    The Servant nodded. “A good plan for the first day of the War.”

She rushed upstairs and got dressed and cleaned with unusual alacrity. Then she hesitated, looking at her father’s amulet, full of years of magical energy. Should I…? She grabbed it, just in case. Another thought occurred to her, and she swiftly rushed down into her basement workshop to retrieve a weapon – the Azoth Dagger that Kirei had given her as part of her apprenticeship.

“Alright.” She came up to a bemused-looking Archer. “I’m ready. You should go into your spiritual form while we head out. No need to advertise that I’m with a strange man to anyone who might know me.”

Archer looked askance at her, before shaking his head and joining her.

Fuyuki City, Shinto’s Park, Early Evening
    The two had been touring the major locations of Fuyuki to give Archer a sense of the lay of the land for much of the day. He’d already suggested a few useful locations that might be good places to set up ambushes or bases – for other Servants and Masters in particular. The snow had proven an annoyance, and had made it harder for Rin to do her job. She’d been miserable, and had eventually allowed Archer to nettle her into setting up a spell that kept the snow from making her any colder than she already was.

Half an hour ago, they had crossed the great bridge in the center of Fuyuki, which locals named “the Big Bridge.” It had another name, of course, but even Rin wasn’t sure of what it was off the top of her head. Miyama, where they had spent most of the day thus far, was the older section of the city, and remained more residential than anything. Shinto, where they were now, was more metropolitan and newer besides.

Eventually they came upon the barren field of Shinto’s main park. In spring, children would have been running about, playing sports of some sort in the field, but now, the snowfall from earlier in the day blanketed it.

Archer stopped as they entered into the park. “This…”

“This was the center of a big fire a decade ago.” Rin explained. “It used to be the main part of the city.”

Archer’s voice was grim. “Not a normal fire, then.”

Rin blinked, surprised. “No. How could you tell?”

“Servants are also called Ghost Liners. We have… a certain attunement to grudges and spiritual things like that. This place absolutely reeks of them.” Archer’s voice was grim.

“Huh. From what I’ve been told, this is where the previous Holy Grail War ended. For whatever reason, the outcome was the fire that destroyed most of the area around it. This park was set up as a memorial.”

Archer said nothing for a time. There was something more bothering him, she could tell – even though she had only met him the day before. Something more… emotional?

“This place is practically a Reality Marble for spiritual beings like us. Not a good place to fight… for anyone. Or perhaps too good. This place would drink up blood like starving vampire." He finally said. "The very air itself is… hostile.”

Reality Marble? She’d heard that term before, but… where? After a moment’s thought, she realized it. Reality Marbles were one of the most advanced (and forbidden) forms of magecraft in the modern era. A projection of a magus’ inner reality that rewrote the world in its own image. No mere alteration of reality in the manner of a normal bounded field, it overrode the Real with the magus’ inner world. The fake priest had warned her that any attempt at practicing it would result in a Sealing Designation being put out on her, which had killed any interest she might’ve had in the subject. She had no desire to be imprisoned in some ancient magus’ lab for the rest of her existence.

“Rin. You’re being quiet. What’s on your mind?” Archer’s voice broke into her thoughts.

“Nothing important… it’s just, why do you know that term?” She asked. “It’s not a common form of magecraft. It’s one that is kept as secret as possible because of how dangerous it is to everyone else. You’re not a Caster…”

“Rin, Servants are heroes of ages past. While you may think I as an Archer have no business knowing about magecraft and only should know how to use bows, don’t underestimate the others. They might be far more skilled in both magecraft and martial skills than you'd expect.”

She flinched. He was right. Underestimating other Servants would only result in a swift (and probably humiliating) death.

“Rin, you’re excellent.” She flushed, but the embarrassment was swiftly replaced with anger as he went on. “But because of that, you underestimate your enemies. You should train yourself out of that habit before you become an adult.”

Train? I’m not a dog! Rin shot a glare in the direction of her Servant. “Aren’t you being rude all of the sudden? You should be focused on the Grail War, not my future.”

“Excuse me, Master." Came the sardonic reply. “I didn’t mean to imply you were anything like a disobedient horse. I just used the term I felt suited you best.”

A horse?! That was even worse. Rin opened her mouth, ready to lambast him verbally, but froze as a pain jolted up her arm. My Crest? The inheritance of the Tohsaka family, with generations of spells and research, was burning. A warning.

“Archer.”

The Servant noted the shift in her tone. “What’s wrong?” He said, alert.

“Someone’s watching us. Can you locate them?”

He was silent for a moment. “Tsk. No.” He said, clearly peeved.

“A Master, then.”

“Yes.”

Rin took a deep breath, focusing her senses on the more mystical spectrum. Pulses of magical energy from another mage’s circuit should have been easy to notice, especially one who was maintaining a Servant’s existence… and sure enough, there it was. She turned, enhancing her vision with a brief word, and caught a brief glimpse of a golden-haired woman (or maybe a man with very long hair) and two larger figures in the distance – just beyond the park’s bounds. Even as she watched, they turned and walked away.

“Is that them?” Archer asked, following her gaze.

“Probably.” She acknowledged.

“Your orders, Rin?”

She considered a moment. They could follow the three, of course, but that risked being led into a trap. “Leave them. If the Master wants to come challenge us, we can face them.”

Archer was silent for a moment, and she thought she knew why. “What, you want to warn me not to be overconfident?”

A burst of laughter. “No. No, you’re strongest like this. Yeah, you can let those weaklings follow us around.”

Damn him, he wasn’t even trying to hold back his laughter. Rin sighed, shaking her head. “Let’s keep going, Archer.”

Still laughing, he nodded.

Shinto Central Building, Evening
    They’d spent the next few hours dragging their feet around Shinto in the hopes of luring the other Master into action, but ultimately nothing happened. They ate dinner together, an act for which Archer materialized, and then continued their journey by climbing to the top of the tallest building in Fuyuki.
    “The view is great, right?” She said finally, staring over the skyscrapers of Shinto.

Archer looked at her briefly. “I pity whoever you end up dating.”

“Wha-?”

“You dragged me around this part of the city for three hours, Rin. Why didn’t we just come up here to begin with?”

She blinked, surprised enough to set aside his earlier rudeness. “Because a layout of the city’s not enough. You need to go places to actually figure them out…”

“I’m not an Archer for no reason, Rin. If I couldn’t see my enemies from long distances, how could I possibly shoot them?”

“You’re not telling me you can see into Miyama from here?”

He snorted. “No. Not Miyama. I can count the tiles on the bridge at most.”

“That’s four kilometers away!” What are his eyes, telescopes? Even if she reinforced her sight with magecraft, she couldn’t get that level of sight. I guess Servants are the most powerful familiars for a reason.

“But wait, if we hadn’t visited the park, you wouldn’t have figured out about how powerfully cursed it is!” She pointed out triumphantly.

Archer looked at her, a white brow arching. “I suppose you’re right.” With that, he cast his gaze over Shinto again, surveying the battlefield.

I shouldn’t interrupt him. He’ll get a better sense of it than I will. With that thought in mind, she approached the edge of the building, looking down at the plaza below. Far, far below, the people moved about – brief flashes of color beneath the streetlights… then, one looked up, and seemed to meet her eyes. A red-haired young boy.

Rin stumbled back in shock, gasping briefly. Was that… Emiya-kun? Why is he here? How did he notice me? Surely he couldn’t see her from that far down. Nevertheless, her heart pounded in her chest and a spike of adrenaline prickled over her skin. There was no real reason for her to react so strongly, but it still bothered her tremendously. I… don’t want him to see me working as a magus. She realized. Like any other classmate. She added hastily, growing inexplicably annoyed with him.

“Rin? What’s wrong?” Archer’s voice provided a blessed distraction from her increasingly embarrassing thoughts.

“No, it’s not important. I just saw an ordinary person I thought I knew.”

Archer looked at her skeptically.

“Nothing to do with us.” She asserted once more.

“Alright. Let’s head back to your house. I’ve learned all I can here.” Archer accepted her explanation.

The two left the central building behind, returning to the streets and heading back across the bridge.

Miyama, Evening
    Rin and Archer were turning a corner near to her manor when she stopped dead and took a step back, pulling him with her. Fortunately, he hadn’t returned to spirit form on the way back.

“What’s wrong, Rin?” He asked.

“Someone I know.” She replied. But what’s Sakura doing out here this late? Her little sister – No, not anymore – her kouhai should’ve been at the Matou Manor by now, surely.

She took a glance around the corner, and realized that Sakura was speaking with yet another blond-haired foreigner. It’s like they’re coming out of the woodworks now. The thought made her suddenly suspicious. Of course they are. It’s the Holy Grail War. Which means he is probably involved somehow.

“Archer.” She whispered. “There’s a blond foreigner over there. Is he a Servant?”

The tall man closed his eyes for a moment. “I don’t sense any of the energies I’d associate with us, no.” He murmured in reply.

“And I don’t sense any magical energy from him…” She mused quietly. “But he’s the third foreigner I’ve seen in the past two days…”

“He could also be minimizing his magical signature. Having his Servant in spiritual form would mean he wasn’t broadcasting that to the world.” Archer reminded her.

“Hm… she’s not a Master either.” Rin frowned. “That means we can’t do anything to him here.”

“No, not with her around.” He agreed.

The foreigner said something, and Sakura grew increasingly distressed. Rin quashed the urge to go interrupt. It’s a good chance to spy on possible opponents.
    Fortunately for Sakura, another familiar voice echoed down the street. “Sakura-chaan!” An adult woman wearing a black and yellow-striped shirt was running down the street towards Sakura and her harasser.

Fujimura-sensei? What is she doing here? With Sakura, no less? Rin took another step back behind the wall.

The blond man smirked, said one last thing to Sakura, and walked down the road towards the pair. Rin stepped out of his way swiftly, walking as though she was just another pedestrian, and Archer swiftly followed suit. The man passed them by without a word.

“Let’s… go around them.” Rin said once the pressure of his presence was gone. “I know both of them.”

Archer stared down the street for a moment before nodding. Rin followed his gaze and saw that Sakura and Taiga were speaking now, with the teacher looking rather concerned.

“Alright.” Archer said, and the two departed.

Chapter 7: Worthy Sacrifice
    Shirou
    Emiya Household, Early Morning, 2nd February 2004

“Senpai, it’s time to get up…” Shirou awoke to the gentle voice of his kouhai. He opened his eyes slowly, blinking sleep from them. He was in the shed again, having fallen asleep working on the various objects there last night.

Is there something about this place? I had another dream of that sword…

“Senpai…” Sakura’s voice was exasperated. “You fell asleep in here again.”

“Ah, yes.” He stood, stretching. “Sorry to worry you, Sakura. Good morning.”

A smile illuminated her face. “Good morning, Senpai. I’ve already started making breakfast, but I wanted some advice from my teacher before finishing.”

With a final sigh, Shirou stretched out the last of the kinks in his back and smiled at her. “Of course. I’d have been bothered if you didn’t wake me.”

Sakura graced him with another charming smile before leading him out across the yard and into the kitchen. Working together in the kitchen with Sakura was always pleasant, and this time was no exception. She was quick to learn, and often offered some insightful thought or another that led to a marvelous improvisation.
    Fuji-nee arrived shortly before breakfast was served, with her usual bombastic entrance, and the three settled down to eat. As they did so, Sakura looked thoughtful, an air of doubt hovering about her.

“Is something wrong with the food, Sakura?” Shirou asked as Taiga took her second serving.

“No… I just… I wanted to trouble you with something, Senpai.”

“Mm, go ahead.”

“Umm… can I stay over tonight?”

Shirou blinked, shocked. That’s sudden. He didn't expect her to ask so soon after getting permission. He didn't mind, of course, but... “Did something happen at home, Sakura?” He asked, scanning her for any signs of bruises or other injuries. If Shinji was back to his old habits…

“N-no. I just… I want to come here, but I met with someone yesterday who was… a bit scary.”

Taiga said something muffled.

“Swallow before you talk, Fuji-nee.”

She swallowed blissfully, before nodding. “Yes, Sakura-chan was harassed by some blond foreigner yesterday. Probably because she’s so cute!”

“He wasn’t bothering me like that, Fujimura-sensei.” Sakura asserted. “He was just trying to ask directions, but I couldn’t really communicate them well.”

“Hmm…” Taiga looked thoughtful. “Why didn’t you tell him to wait for me, then?”

Sometimes it’s easy to forget you’re an English teacher. Shirou thought. Instead, he said. “I don’t mind letting you stay the night, Sakura, but I won’t be here until pretty late. I agreed to look into something for Issei yesterday, and it needed more work than I could do at the time.” Fortunately, he’d given her a copy of the house key when she started coming over more regularly in the morning. A thought occurred to him. “Does your grandfather know about your plan?” Surely he’d rather his granddaughter come home overnight rather than staying at a boy’s house.

Sakura nodded. “Yes.”

"Alright, then." Shirou nodded.

“I can’t come here tonight,” Taiga pouted, “but that doesn’t mean that you can do lewd things to Sakura-chan overnight, Shirou.”

“Yes, yes.” He sighed. “You don’t have to worry about that, Fuji-nee.” She definitely didn’t. Absolutely.

Sakura frowned at Fuji-nee. “That’s right, Fujimura-sensei, Senpai’s not someone like that at all.”

“It’s only because Sakura’s so cute that I’m worried…”

“I. Just. Said…” Sakura began.

Taiga flinched. “Sakura-chan… you can be surprisingly scary when you’re angry.”

The younger woman flushed, looking away. “If you didn’t say silly things, I wouldn’t get angry.”

I somehow feel like they’re closer than usual. Was it because they’d had some sort of experience the previous day? Shirou smiled nonetheless. “Anyways, if you’re fine waiting alone for a few hours extra than usual, I don’t mind you staying over.”

Sakura rewarded him with a bright, joyous smile that sent his heart racing again. I’m definitely not going to treat her like that. He asserted to himself. No matter what Fuji-nee thinks of me, I’m not that low.

Rin
    Homurahara Academy, Morning

“I told you to be cautious. The Holy Grail War isn’t a joke.” Archer, for all that he was dematerialized and speaking to her telepathically, remained as snarky as ever.
    “You did.” Rin was forced to acknowledge as she scanned the bounded field surrounding the school. At least he doesn’t sound too smug about it.

“I would assume that this is the work of a Master. That means there’s at least one other one at school.”

That was a curious choice of words. “At least?”

“Make no assumptions in warfare, Rin.” He said sincerely. “Especially if you want to survive.”

She frowned. He was right, damn him. “Even if it’s not a Master, someone has clearly decided to make the school their personal playground. As the primary magus in Fuyuki, that means I need to deal with it.”

“My, how mature.” Archer said, amused.

Rin took a deep breath, reminding herself not to rise to her Servant's bait. “I can’t keep standing out here. I’ll have to go in. It doesn’t look like it’s an immediately threatening spell, so I should be okay for the short term.”

Archer’s voice was cautious. “It may make you known to whoever set the bounded field up. Moreover, if it’s Caster’s, it may make me known to them.”

She nodded slightly. “Yes, but I don’t really have a choice now that I’m here.” She was already attracting odd stares, standing outside of the school grounds as she was. With that thought driving her forwards, she stepped into the school grounds, and the bounded field with it.

“This isn’t complete.” Archer immediately noted. “But preparation is already started. The one who’s doing this is a significant powerhouse… maybe that guy you met two days ago?”

“Could be. The creator could also be a rank amateur, though. A field like this that lets people know of its existence before it’s finished is at best a third-class field.”

“So which do you think it is?” Archer inquired.

“It doesn’t matter. I’ll beat either of them.” The thought of facing down the man from two days prior put the fire of anger in her steps. That bastard will pay for making me see that… Of course, that was assuming he did so. It was a good assumption, but she shouldn’t recklessly assume it was his doing.

On the way, she was given pause – a first year was walking around the halls with a huge pile of papers. Wait, isn’t that…? “I’ll help you with those, Sakura.” She said, already taking half of the papers from the pile.

“Ah, Tohsaka… senpai?” Sakura blinked at her.

She’s looking better. Rin realized. When they had seen her yesterday, it was too far away to be sure, but the dark circles under her eyes were gone, and she had lost some of the unhealthy pallor from a few days prior. That’s a relief…She swatted the thought away.

“Thank you.” Sakura said softly, bowing her head.

“Mm. Don’t mind it. Where are we taking these?”

“Kuzuki-sensei. He’s recalling the handouts because of a misspelling.”

He’s what? Rin sighed. “How uptight can you be…?”

“Tohsaka-senpai?” Sakura looked at her, surprised.

Ah, crap. She’d just said that aloud. That didn’t suit her image at school at all… And Archer’s laughter in her head told her that he’d realized that as well, damn him. “It’s nothing.”

The younger girl looked at her curiously, but nodded. “He just doesn’t think teachers should make mistakes.” Sakura said mildly.

Rin shook her head. “No, he’s just stubborn.”

She realized Sakura was looking at her with an odd expression.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

“You must like him. It’s rare to hear you complain about anyone.”

Damn. Her guard was down. Just because of one (horrible, terrifying, traumatizing) vision including Sakura, she was letting herself relax with the young woman who had been her sister. That’s not a habit I can indulge in during the War.

“Hm, maybe.” Rin said, before shifting topics. “Say, Sakura… Did you meet with a weird foreigner yesterday?” Now that Archer was in his spiritual form, it was a good time to ask. Indeed, she could practically feel his curiosity.

“Oh… y-you were watching?” Sakura looked suddenly troubled, and Rin flinched inwardly.

At least she’s showing it… Not like that dead-eyed, hopeless stare from the memory-vision. Rin angrily threw those thoughts away, focusing on the conversation at hand. “I just happened to be passing by. Do you know him?”

“No, not really…” Sakura shook her head.

Rin carefully kept her frown off her face. “So he’s not the crazy foreigner that Matou-kun has been complaining about recently?”

“N-no.” She shook her head again. “At least, I don’t think so. Nii-san told me that his hair was a kind of... reddish gold?”

“Hm… assuming that both of these foreigners are involved in the Holy Grail War, that means that they’re oddly focused on the Matou family. They might be involved somehow.” Archer pointed out.

God, I hope not. She really hated dealing with Shinji, and his grandfather was disturbing at the best of times. “But at least we know Sakura’s not a Master.” She said silently before looking back at Sakura. “What did he want, then?”

“He was very strange, and he seemed a little lost…” Sakura mused as they approached Kuzuki-sensei’s office. “But he said a lot of confusing things, and I couldn’t really explain where he was very well.”

“A Heroic Spirit could be confused about the modern world, couldn’t he?” Rin asked Archer.

“No. The Grail tells us about the current state of affairs. And it gives us the ability to speak and understand all languages. I don’t think he’s a Servant.”
    Well, if either of them would know, it would be Archer.

“We’re here, Tohsaka-senpai. You can give those back to me now.” Sakura said, interrupting her thoughts.

“Oh, yes.” She put her pile atop of Sakura’s once more.

“Thank you for your help, Tohsaka-senpai.” She said, her already soft voice muffled further by the papers covering her face.

“Don’t worry about it, Sakura.”

As her kouhai stepped into the staff office, Rin managed to hear a bit of conversation.

“I believe it behooves us to institute a hard closure time for the school.” Kuzuki was saying. “Given the dangers of the streets these days, our students should not be leaving after dark.”

“That would be manifestly unfair to…” Another teacher continued as Sakura deposited the printouts and returned to the hallway.

As the pair left, Rin looked at Sakura again. “Sakura… how are you?”

“Ah… things have been going better.” The younger girl smiled, and Rin couldn’t tell whether it was genuine or not.

“I see… well, let me know if Shinji does anything to you again.”

Sakura tilted her head, seeming confused, but nodded. Of course she’s wondering why you started caring nowRin scowled inwardly, cursing again the man who had afflicted her so terribly two days prior.

“That new rule might be useful to us.” Archer noted. “I assume you can convince any would-be enforcers of that rule to leave you be?”

“Of course. What kind of question is that?” Rin asked, annoyed. “Only a child can’t do minor hypnotic suggestions. You think that we can use that to investigate the school more thoroughly?”

“Or to fight against whoever it is that set up this bounded field.”

Archer’s words gave her momentary pause before she smiled. “Let them come.”

Homurahara Academy Roof, Early Evening

Rin knelt on the roof, a frown furrowing her brow as she looked at the strange sigil that her magecraft had revealed. “I don’t recognize this at all…” She said aloud, confident enough that they were alone.

“In that case, it’s probably from the Age of the Gods.” Archer, still dematerialized, replied.

“Meaning that it’s definitely a Servant who set this up.” Rin confirmed. They had traced the magical energy to one of its anchor points in the school, which happened to be on the roof. Unfortunate, that, because the wind was already nibbling at her nose and fingertips. She activated her circuits to warm herself, sending heat through her whole body.

“Rin. Look fifty centimeters to the left of the circle.”

“What is-?” She followed his instructions and froze. The roof was cracked, a large hole in the tile revealing that it had been struck by a tremendous force… “What is it?” She completed the question.

“A bullet hole. And a large caliber one, at that.” Archer replied immediately.

How does he know that? She set the thought aside. “So you’re saying that someone shot at someone else on the roof? How many people even own guns in Fuyuki?”
    “Of that caliber? Legally, nobody. As it stands… probably one person.”

“Thanks for clearing that up for me.” Rin said dryly.

“I live to serve.”

“Do I detect a hint of bitterness in-?” She stopped, her head snapping up as she heard heavy footfalls coming from behind the small enclosure that held the door to the stairs.

“Archer?” She switched to telepathy. “Get ready, but don’t manifest yet.”

“Yes.”

The footfalls grew closer, a slow, steady drumbeat that disrupted her calm. She looked for cover, but found none. A low sizzle of anxiety burned in her stomach as they grew ever closer.

Finally, a tall white man with shaggy grey hair and a thick, unkempt beard came around the corner. He wore heavy metal armor, with spikes menacing from both his shoulders and down his arms.

“It seems,” he rumbled, “I am not the only one to investigate this bounded field tonight. Two more…”

Two? He can see Archer, and that means… Her Servant came to an identical conclusion, and manifested immediately.

“Rin. Get ready.” He said, a curved white short-bladed sword manifesting itself in one hand.

“Which one are you?” The armored man asked. “Caster? Assassin? You aren’t strong enough to be a Saber.”

Archer remained silent, staring at the larger man.

“Well. It hardly matters.” The Servant took another step forwards, and then charged.

“Rin, go!”

She turned, summoning a spell to reinforce herself, and threw herself off the roof. “Archer, I’ll leave the landing to you!”

He followed her down, landing just before her and catching her in his arms. Under other circumstances, she might’ve been embarrassed. Instead, she was just glad that she was able to get out of his arms before the other Servant landed on the ground with a heavy crash, leaving a large crater of earth.

He now held a spined spear with a twisted haft in one clawed gauntlet, while the other was empty, ready to tear and shred.

“You must be Lancer, then.”

“And you, it seems, are Archer.” He said. “Now… die.”

Raw bloodthirst washed over the two, and Rin felt a surge of fear. What the hell kind of life did he live? Fortunately, Archer seemed unmoved and took the initiative, rushing forwards and unleashing a flurry of blows at Lancer’s unarmored head.

Lancer disregarded the attacks, only blocking the most dangerous with his gauntleted off-hand, and thrust viciously upwards at Archer with his spear. Archer managed to kick off the ground and bring his sword up to block.

A tremendous crash of metal on metal broke the silence, the wind from the sheer force of their attacks surging over the schoolyard. Rin bit back a gasp as she saw the sword in Archer’s hand – the blade had shattered.

That should have been impossible. The Servant’s primary armament should be their Noble Phantasm, a manifestation of the mightiest feats they performed while alive, or a precious artifact that they bore.

Archer wasn’t terribly upset over the loss of his weapon, however, as he tossed the hilt carelessly aside. “Slow, aren’t you? I thought that the Lancer class was made up of the fastest Heroic Spirits.”

Lancer chuckled darkly, his lips peeling back to reveal long fangs that gleamed in the moonlight. “I need only hit you once, Archer.” He lunged forwards, speartip outstretched. In a flash, Archer had manifested yet another sword, with which he slashed at the spear’s haft as he turned to evade it. Continuing the motion, he curved the strike upwards towards Lancer’s oncoming body even as the spear’s tip landed softly in the dirt.

Lancer, however, did not stop, simply crashing into the strike without care. The sword rang off of his armor as he dropped the useless haft, and he clawed at Archer, who jumped backwards, his face a cold mask. “You are an absurdity. An Archer, using a sword. Do you not see me as a sufficient threat, heathen?”

Archer chuckled dryly. “Must be that you’re not as frightening as you think you are.”

“You don’t know me, else those words would never pass from your lips.” Lancer growled. “My name is feared by millions.”

“You going to share what that is with us?” Archer countered.

“No, only demonstrate why they fear.” Lancer rushed forwards, another spear erupting into his hand as his feet pounded the ground hard. Archer lunged forwards to meet him, his sword a blur of white.

The ring of metal on metal filled the air, and Rin gripped her amulet, considering whether or not to draw on its magical energy. Lancers have resistance to magic… I don’t know if I could hurt him with anything less than all the power my family’s stored in this. She couldn’t risk it, not at this early stage in the war – especially with Archer in melee with him.

Meanwhile, Archer was focusing his efforts on Lancer’s face and the joints of his armor while Lancer swung heavy blows that he dodged with only the narrowest of margins for error. The horrible crack of Archer’s sword shattering echoed through the yard as it got caught in between two of the spikes on Lancer’s armor and the larger man twisted.

As soon as it was destroyed, however, another identical blade was in Archer’s hand and slashing at Lancer’s face, which caught him on the cheek. They continued exchanging blows, with Archer dodging for his life and raining attacks down on Lancer at any opportunity. Every so often, Archer’s sword would shatter – whether against the other Servant’s armor, or from a heavy attack by his claw or spear.

Lancer unleashed a roar of fury and brought his spear up to stab Archer in the stomach with one hand, while bringing his other claw down to grab the back of his foe’s neck – a horrific mockery of an embrace.

In an incredible display of agility, Archer half turned his body to let the spear past, ducked his head underneath the claw, and flicked the point of his sword upwards towards Lancer’s throat. The white point on the blade cut through the unkempt beard and left a jagged cut on Lancer’s throat. Unfortunately, this left him out of position when Lancer launched a kick with his spiked boot to Archer’s hip. Though Rin’s Servant was able to reduce the impact by leaping away, he skidded half a meter when he landed, clearly not at his best. A faint sheen of sweat covered his brow. Rin held her breath, awed by the sheer power and skill the two had displayed thus far.

Focus, Rin. This is your fight, too. She slowly, quietly pulled out a gem. Nowhere near as potent as her father’s amulet, it still held enough magical energy to do what she wanted.

As she did so, Lancer glared at Archer, face bleeding from a dozen different cuts. “I have broken half a dozen of your weapons, and yet still you have more. A bowman merely playing at swordsmanship you may be, but an irritating one.”

With a twist of his wrist, Archer’s sword grew larger, heavier, broader, and he flicked open his other hand, summoning a black sword of equal size. “I’d agree. This calls for a change of pace, doesn’t it?” He charged, unleashing another flurry of attacks. As blows rained down on him, Lancer knocked one of the heavy strikes aside, then another, but most he simply twisted to take on his armor.

Rin watched, gathering focusing her energy on the spell she planned to use. Archer was right. Lancer is fast, but I can see his hands moving. Unlike Archer’s attacks, which she could only judge by ear from their ringing against Lancer’s armor.

“Archer, jump!” She called, slamming her foot onto the ground. “Wasser, ziehst!” With an incantation, she simultaneously melted the frozen mud of the field and pulled the resulting moisture into a pool around Lancer’s feet, softening the ground and causing him to sink slightly into it.

Archer, in a move that his now off-balanced foe was unprepared for, kicked off the ground, then off one of Lancer’s knee spikes, launching himself higher into the air as he brought both heavy blades downwards. Lancer sank deeper into the muddy ground even as he lifted his spear to block. The two blades stopped dead, and Lancer shoved back with his spear, sending Archer flipping back in the air – though this, too, drove the armored man deeper into the mud, to the point that he was nearly fifteen centimeters deep.

“Frierst ein!” Rin incanted, drawing the last of the magical energy from her gem. The muddy pool circling Lancer’s feet froze over once more, hopefully locking him in place, if only briefly. If I can’t affect him directly with a spell, I’ll break the environment around him. Archer landed lightly on his feet and moved again to attack, but before he was halfway there, Lancer lifted his spear.

“Puny wench.” He growled, and hurled it at Rin with a mighty swing of his arm. Archer stopped short, twisting his entire body to slash both swords down onto the projectile. The spear was cut into three and the point was misaligned enough that she was able to throw herself out of the way, landing on her hip. Blessing her own foresight to reinforce her body, she clambered to her feet as quickly as she could.

This momentary distraction had been all that Lancer needed, however, to wrench his feet out from the frozen trap that Rin had created. Damn. Waste of the energy… Perhaps not, however, as Archer was already next to Lancer again, hammering away at him with the two long-bladed swords.

Lancer was left on the defensive, using his armor to his greatest advantage, as he simply could not keep up with Archer. Fortunately for him, he didn’t need to move nearly as much as Archer did, and smaller movements let him block Archers faster (but larger) swings. Nevertheless, as Archer circled around him, slashing and striking, he did manage to land a few attacks on Lancer’s head and other vulnerable areas – his elbows, his armpits, his knees.

“Damned bastard!” Lancer swept both claws at Archer, one going for his throat while the other went for his stomach. Archer struck one upwards and the other downwards, knocking both aside. However, at that moment, a spear exploded bloodily into existence from Lancer’s chest, launching itself at Archer’s throat. Rin lifted her hand to get him out of the way, but before she could speak her command, Archer was already dodging. Thus, the jagged spear simply clipped his left shoulder rather than piercing his throat. An unnatural amount of blood erupted from the wound, and the spear’s spikes brought cloth, flesh, and muscle along with them.

Archer jumped back several meters, all the way to Rin’ side. “Archer, are you alright?” Rin asked silently.

“No, but I can keep fighting.” He kept a wary eye on Lancer nonetheless.

Their opponent reached up to wipe blood from his eyes, where it had flowed from a horizontal cut across his forehead. He licked his claw clean with a faintly deranged smile, made all the more twisted for the dozen other cuts on his face. “I didn’t expect you would blind me like that… Yet I think I came out on top in that exchange.”

It was true. One of Archer’s swords – the one on his injured side – was significantly lower than the other. Nevertheless, Archer smiled. “If that’s the extent of what you can do, then come.”

Lancer’s bloody brow furrowed. “But still, the question remains… who are you, that summons so many swords to dual-wield?”

Archer’s smile broadened, despite the blood oozing down his left arm. “By contrast, I now have a good sense of who you might be.”

“Then you should know well enough not to defy me.” Lancer snarled, his fangs glinting a wet red.

Before he took a step, however, they heard a crack in the distance – around the corner of the school. Lancer’s head snapped around, and he grimaced. “A witness.” With that, the armored form rushed away from the two, and Rin caught a glimpse of a familiar figure turning to flee him.

That’s… “Archer, we have to stop him!”

“Why?” He asked. “He’s going to get rid of the witness.”

“We can’t let an innocent die when we have the chance to save him. I can get rid of his memories!” Rin urged him.

“Look, Rin… I know I implied otherwise, but that Lancer… I can’t beat him like this.”

“We only need to distract him. Get him away. Now go!” She began running after the large Servant, and heard Archer curse before following her.

Shirou
    Homurahara Academy, Early Evening
    “That’s that.” Shirou said, wiping his hands clean of grease as he looked at the heating unit with a satisfied smile. “But just in case…” He reached out, touching it. Going through the usual motions of agonizing training, he spoke his invocation. “Trace, on.” The only other ability he had in magecraft – structural analysis. It proved very useful for his repair work, as he could immediately get a sense of what was wrong in any machine, and indeed, a sense of how the machine worked. Good. It’s functioning now. He rose, stretching once again.

“Time to go home… Sakura’s waited long enough.” He picked up what little necessities he’d brought to school, as well as the toolbox, and made his way through the empty halls of the school. “Man, it is a little weird being here this late – after dark…” He shook his head. Focus.

Once he returned the tools to their proper place, he made his way outside and – What’s that noise? The sound of metal on metal – so rapid that it could well be a taiko drummer, if both the drum and the sticks had been metal.

He made his choice in an instant. To leave school would be safest, but there might be someone in trouble out there. Thus, he followed his ears, his steps as quiet as he could make them. The ringing ceased for a moment, replaced by voices he didn’t recognize, before it resumed, punctuated by crashes of metal breaking. What the hell is going on there? He wondered as he looked carefully around the corner of the building into the schoolyard.

Three people were there, visible in the moonlight. A tall man wearing a red jacket with two large swords – one black and one white – in his hands was fighting against an even bigger man in an impractically spiked and horribly bloodstained suit of armor. The first man’s blades were a blur of motion, crashing against armor, while the armored hulk seemed to be using clawed gauntlets, and was giving as good as he got.

The other person was familiar. Tohsaka? What was she doing here, in this incredibly dangerous situation? This was out of his league. There was no way Shirou could even intervene in that fight, let alone help stop it. He shifted back behind the corner, only to feel a crack beneath his foot… a sound just after the ringing of metal had stopped.

“A witness.” He heard one of the two say.

That’s not the sort of thing one says in a friendly manner! Even as he had the thought, Shirou’s legs were already taking him away as fast as he could manage. I know the school better than him, I can lose him there. He swerved into the building, but the dread pounding of the heavy footsteps were already getting closer. How fast is he?

Shirou’s breath came in short gasps as he climbed the stairs, panic leading him nowhere but away from the implacable footsteps. Intuitively, driven by fear, he connected his magical circuits, barely even aware of the pain as he did so.

He was only four steps down a long hallway when he heard the man speak. “Give up, child. You’ve led me on a good chase, but no more.”

Shirou whirled, saw the man’s spiked spear approaching far too quickly. Faster than he ever would have thought possible, he brought up his school bag, reflexively reinforcing it with the magical energy surging through him.

The spear thunked against it, and though it didn’t pierce through, the sheer force of the blow sent Shirou tumbling head over heels to the ground. On his back, he gasped for air – the wind had been knocked out of him by his fall.

“A mage, are you?” The heavy footfalls approached him, slower now. The spearman was taking his time now. “Then I feel even less shame in doing this than I otherwise might.” The spiked spear came down, and Shirou felt a burning agony, a horrible scrape of metal against bone in his chest. The spear withdrew, and as blackness slowly covered his vision, Shirou saw the man’s frown beneath his beard. “Fine, the damned….”

His consciousness faded.

Rin
    Inside Homurahara Academy, Early Evening

Rin’s magically reinforced speed was no match for Lancer’s, and Archer seemed more exhausted than he’d let on, as he was only just keeping pace with her. I guess he wasn’t lying when he said he was feigning strength. She followed the sound of Lancer’s footsteps, dodging through corridors and rushing upstairs. A cold wind greeted her as she arrived at the top.

No Lancer. A shattered window. Bloodstained footprints leading up to it. Emiya Shirou, lying in a pool of blood. On his chest was a gaping tear of a wound, blood pumping freely through torn flesh and shattered bone. He’s still alive.

“Archer. Follow Lancer, find his Master. If we don’t even see their face, this whole thing will have been a waste.” Rin heard herself order. It registered with her that she was kneeling in the blood next to Shirou.

“… Understood.” Archer’s voice seemed to come from a far distance, even as she heard him leap out the window.

She pulled out her father’s amulet, that great inheritance he had left her. Without much consideration, she drew on its energy, channeling it through her Magical Crest – it could use spells she was still learning, or might never learn. Including this most powerful healing spell.

Live. You have to live, dammit! Sakura needs you, and – a cool blue glow from her crest illuminated the scene, as his bones slid back into place over renewed muscle, the breaks melding back together. His skin slowly sealed away the blood, and his breathing grew steady.

Sweat dripped from her brow, and she blinked it out of her eyes. Some of it fell on the bloodstained flesh as it was cleaned by her magic, giving it the illusion of washing away the blood.

Then it was done, and Rin fell back on her heels, gasping for breath. The enormity of what she’d just done collapsed on her. Father… Tears stung her eyes. I’m so sorry… you gave that to me to make sure I survived the War, and now… She’d wasted it on a boy who wasn’t even going to be of use to her in that way.

She stumbled to her feet. I have to get out of here before he wakes up. Navigating purely on instinct, Rin left the school building as shame weighed every step she took. Her father’s legacy, gone. Worse still, her guilt compounded itself, as another part of her felt horrible for treasuring a thing more than the life of another person. Not just another person-

No, she wouldn’t think that. That was only going to shame her more. Just… go home. It will seem better come morning. It wouldn’t, but it was a comforting lie.
    Her breath caught. Wait… I left the pendant at school. A lump formed in her throat. It was too late to go back for it now. No. That doesn’t matter. It's empty of magic energy now, and that was what father left for me. There might still be someenergy left in the amulet, but not nearly as much as the other ten jewels she still had - even though she did drain a bit from one during the battle with Lancer.

Right. Her magus self took control. Always elegant. She made her way home.
    Last edited by endwaar; May 16th, 2023 at 12:09 PM.

Chapter 8: Summoning
    Trigger WarningGore
    Shirou
    Homurahara Academy, Evening, 2nd February 2004
    He woke up, gasping and coughing. Shirou blindly groped at his chest in a panic, only to find that there wasn’t a hole – nor even a scar. It doesn’t even hurt any more. Had he really been stabbed through the heart?

Shifting his weight revealed the truth of it as he felt the wetness of the bloody fabric of the back of his uniform. Slowly, he sat up, his muscles trembling. He looked down at the pool of blood beneath him and immediately wished he hadn’t. Those are chunks of my heart and lungs, and shards of my ribs. His stomach rolled over, and he fought down the urge to vomit.

Settling his stomach with a deep breath – those should be inside me, but they’re not – Shirou got to his feet, and his eyes fell on a red pendant lying on the floor next to a particularly grotesque piece of flesh. He leaned over to pick it up. This looks familiar… Though he wasn’t positive, he was reasonably sure that it was Tohsaka’s – especially given that she was apparently present at school during that battle. He shoved that thought away. He was not ready to process that. Tucking the amulet into his pocket (it was already bloody anyways), he stared dumbly down at the messy floor.

Looking down at the mess again, he sighed and walked on shaking legs to fetch a mop and as large a bucket as he could handle with his still-weak arms. “Why do I have to clean this up when I was the one stabbed?” He asked himself plaintively. "Am I an idiot?" Probably. But that didn't change the necessity of his actions. This would cause a panic if students saw it come tomorrow morning. And for all that he complained, somehow the familiar rituals of cleaning up (even if it was his own blood) gave Shirou a grounding that helped to calm him. He was self-aware enough to recognize that this calm wouldn’t last, but focusing on the task at hand allowed him to steady his shaking hands and calm his rigid muscles.

It took over an hour and a half to mop up the blood, collect the viscera, dispose of the bloody water, clean off the mop, and dump the collected body pieces somewhere where he really hoped other people wouldn’t find them. And that whatever might eat them doesn’t develop a taste for human flesh. Specifically, mine. The dark thought made him frown.

I have to go home. He began his path across the city, blessing the relative darkness that would conceal the vast swathes of blood on his clothes. Wait, Sakura’s there! Hopefully she’s asleep. At this point, he didn’t think he’d be able to supply her with any plausible explanation for why he was soaked in blood.

Emiya Household, Nighttime
    The thought of Sakura being home drove him to push his weary body harder, and he began to jog – the best speed he could manage – along the empty streets. He bypassed familiar shops – there was where he purchased groceries, and over there was the bakery. That place had the really good takoyaki. He passed the small children’s playground, a stranger in a white robe and black cloak, his golden eyes aglow, and an old art installation that was supposed to memorialize the dead of the Fuyuki Fire.

His legs ached as he continued, but he refused to stop for even a moment's rest as he ascended the hill past the Yamada family's home and their neighbors in the Samegawa household. There wasn't a little girl there this time, blessedly - he had had entirely enough strangeness in the past hour to deal with her opaque statements. As his burning muscles screamed at him, he pressed onwards. Motion above caught his attention - a bat flitted overhead. A bat? He was pretty sure he hadn’t seen any bats in Fuyuki in his life. Never mind. That's not important.

Finally, he was home. With fumbling fingers, he pulled his key out, unlocked the door, and stepped inside. He stopped himself before he could call out that he was home. Though it felt strange, he really didn’t want to risk waking Sakura – or even worse, getting her attention.

He tiptoed down the hallway, peeking into the dining room. Sakura… you should’ve gone to sleep in one of the guest rooms. Not just waited here for me. Indeed, she was sitting at the table, hunched over and sleeping. Best not to disturb her. He continued his way onwards down the hall… until he stubbed his toe on one of the many boxes of random junk that Fuji-nee often brought to him.

Shirou bit back a yelp, but the box, already unbalanced, fell to the ground with a crash. Dammit.

“Senpai?” Sakura’s sleepy voice came from the kitchen.

Oh no. “Sakura?” He called back. “Don’t worry, I just bumped into something-“

“Senpai?!” Her voice was clearer now, and he turned to see her standing in the hallway. She was staring at his blood-stained back, and her violet eyes widened even more when he turned to face her. Rushing to his side, she looked him over carefully. “Senpai, are you alright? What happened to you?”

This was exactly what he had hoped to avoid. “Erm…”

“Did someone attack you? Did you kill them? Do you need help disposing of the body?”

“Wait, I heard something really scary just now!” He interrupted.

Sakura tilted her head, the smile on her face beautiful, but exuding menace. “I wouldn’t mind helping you with that kind of thing, Senpai.”

Scary! Sakura, you’re terrifying. Don’t say things like that with that smile on your face, please! “N-no! I didn’t kill anyone, and I don’t need help getting rid of bodies! I swear, you sound more like old man Raiga’s your grandfather than Fuji-nee does.”

Fujimura Raiga was the head of the eponymous Fujimura Group. Shirou’s father, Kiritsugu, had once said that the man looked like a yakuza boss. This was, of course, purely prejudice. Fujimura Raiga was a yakuza boss, not that his granddaughter behaved like it in the slightest. He’d always had an oddly good relationship with Kiritsugu, though.

Turning his attention back to the present, Shirou put his hands on Sakura’s shoulders. “Look, I’ll explain everything in a bit. Let me get changed out of this mess,” he gestured at his crimson school uniform, “and I’ll be right with you.” Hopefully that will give me enough time to think up some sort of lie…

“Mm. Okay.” Sakura nodded. “I’ll make some tea.” She returned to the kitchen as Shirou went to his room.

Once changed, but still feeling dirty and wishing for a bath, Shirou joined Sakura in the dining room. He’d taken the pendant out of his uniform’s pocket and brought it with him.

“Here you go, Senpai.” Sakura handed him his cup, then sat straight, waiting for him to explain.

“Thank you.” Unfortunately for Shirou, he had not, in fact, thought of a lie that he felt was even remotely convincing. “Uh…” If I come clean, then she’ll be in danger. Based on what that crazed spearman said, they don’t want witnesses- His train of thought froze as the cold fingers of fear skittered up his spine again. If he doesn’t want witnesses, then he might come back here to finish me as soon as he realizes that I’m not dead!

“Senpai?” Sakura noticed his sudden alarm, and leaned closer, her brow furrowed in a dissonantly adorable expression.

Shoving that particular observation aside for later processing, Shirou spoke quickly. “Look, I had a really dangerous encounter earlier, and I think that it might follow me home. You should…” He was about to say she should go home, but that might well put her directly in the path of the murderous spearman.

“What-?” Sakura’s question was interrupted by the soft sound of a ringing bell. Not the doorbell, but a sound more like an old temple bell.

Shirou’s heart dropped into his stomach. Though he was a miserable excuse for a magus, he did try to maintain the bounded field that his old man had set up – it had been intended to warn of intruders.

“He’s here.” Shirou only realized he’d spoken aloud when Sakura looked at him oddly. “Run, Sakura-!” He tackled her aside as hard as he could just in time for a spear to explode through the wall and thrum through the air where his head had been.

Rolling off of her, Shirou activated his magic circuit, knowing that this was absolutely the time to do so. “Go!”

The spear was swiftly followed by a clawed gauntlet reaching through the hole. Grabbing ahold of it, the armored spearman tore off a huge chunk of the wall and took a heavy step through the newly created opening.

No, there was a door right there. Why did you come through the wall? Even as he silently snarked at the illogical action, he overturned the table, reinforcing it with a burst of magical energy. He felt two heavy impacts on the table, and one spearpoint broke through, nearly taking his eye out.

“Hmm. Another witness.” The spearman rumbled. “A shame. Were it up to me, I wouldn’t bother with the charade. Nevertheless, I am always willing to slay those foolish enough to revolt against the natural order of things.”

In the electric lights of his home and at this distance, Shirou could now more clearly see the hulking monster. He wore a ragged sash of red around his shoulders, his hair and beard caked with dried blood… as was the entirety of the left side of his armor. Alarmingly, two fangs gleamed at the corners of his mouth as he smiled down at Shirou.

I have to distract him so Sakura can get away. Shirou ducked behind his table and grabbed a fallen newspaper from the floor before reinforcing it and hurling it at his foe.

The hulking man’s sneer was twisted by his long fangs, and he swatted the offending object out of the air with contemptuous ease. Fortunately, he hadn’t intended it as anything more than a feint.

“Sakura! Run!” He repeated himself as he sent magical energy flooding down his muscles in a desperate attempt to ensure that his plan worked. Strength surged in him and in a burst of motion, he lifted his table off the ground and, using it as an improvised shield-cum-battering ram, drove himself towards the intruder.
    He thought he heard Sakura’s footsteps leaving the room, but was distracted when he hit the armored man. His ears rang with the sheer brutal force of the impact. It’s like running headlong into a load-bearing stone pillar! The guy didn’t even budge!

Nevertheless, Shirou had the wit (and reflexes, thanks to his reinforced body) to throw himself out of the way when two armored fists pounded the table back at him. It flew by and crashed into the far wall as he scrambled to his feet, ducking a flying spear as he turned to run down the hallway.

The man’s laughter followed him. “I can smell the blood on you, boy. You can’t escape me.” The slow, deliberate strides thumped down the hallway after him.
    Good, that means that I can lead him away from Sakura! Hopefully she was headed towards the guest bedrooms. As the footsteps followed after him, he smashed a window with his elbow (Tonight’s damages are going to cost so much to fix) and pulled himself through into the yard. He risked a glance back and was immediately glad he did, as it gave him time to throw himself flat to avoid another spiked javelin that would’ve stabbed him in the back of his head.

He scrambled to his feet, rushing towards the other two buildings in the household. The dojo or the shed? The dojo had some practice weapons – and his bow – that he might be able to use to fight but… No, it’s too open. The shed has more crap to hide behind. Never had he thought he would be so glad for all of Fuji-nee’s tendency to bring all manner of junk to him.

The heavy footsteps were quieter now, but still audible – the demon had come outside. Shirou hurled himself towards the shed, slamming into the door as another attack nearly took off his ear. It’s stuck!? Now of all times?

Giving up on the door, he threw himself to the side, avoiding another trio of projectiles. No cover. But I won’t give up living just yet! Got to get him away from Sakura! Ducking low, he grabbed a piece of firewood he’d left lying outside the shed, and reinforced it. Pulling up, he saw his death streaking towards him. On reflex, he lifted the firewood upwards to deflect it.

To his shock, he managed to knock the spear off-course – a searing bolt of agony shot down his left arm as it hooked into the muscle of his shoulder. It wasn’t enough, though, as he felt his feet leave the ground. The sheer force of the spear was pulling him along with it. With an explosive crash, he was thrown through the wall of the shed and onto its floor. Blood oozed from the wound as the spear disappeared into motes of light.

“Senpai?!” Sakura’s voice came from behind one of the piles of junk.

Shirou flinched. Did I just lead him right to Sakura? Sometimes great minds thinking alike was dangerous…

The implacable behemoth’s laughter echoed from across the yard as he continued his tireless advance. Shirou tried to force himself to his feet, his hand smearing blood on the floor as he did so and-

A blue glow filled the room, illuminating it from below – a magic circle inscribed upon the ground.

The spearman growled. “Impossible!” He charged, a spear manifesting in his hand as he practically flew towards Shirou’s prone form.

Before the strike could reach him, however, a figure stepped out of the blazing light and there was a tremendous clash of as the spear was knocked aside. Her arms blurred, and an ear-piercing screech filled the air.

The intractable behemoth was knocked back out of the shed, a diagonal slash marring the front of his breastplate. “The last Servant?!”

Now that she was still, Shirou saw who had just saved him. A girl, wearing an armored blue dress stood in the moonlight that shafted through the broken wall of his shed. She turned to face him, and emotionless pale green eyes met his own as winds whirled around them.

She's… “Beautiful…” The word was more an exhalation than a spoken sentence.

Something in her gaze changed – a flicker of emotion, swiftly gone. She turned her eyes towards Sakura, standing behind him, before looking back to Shirou. A silent eternity in the span of a few heartbeats.

“… I ask of you. Are you my Master?

Chapter 9: Heaven's Feel Begins
    Rin
    Tohsaka Manor, Nighttime, 2nd February 2004
    When Rin arrived at her home, Archer was not yet there. She fell onto the couch, staring blankly at her living room. For several minutes, she did not think, just… stared.

Finally, she stirred, going to make herself tea. Archer had said that he knew – or suspected – Lancer’s identity. That could prove a key weakness. From what her father’s notes had said, Servants were usually quite vulnerable to attacks that echoed the ways that they died. Even absent that, it might reveal a weakness that hadn’t killed him.

But still… Lancer had been nightmarishly strong, and even more durable. Archer had needed to summon larger swords to even start cutting his unarmored face. Any sort of vulnerability would help a great deal. She rubbed her face, before looking down at her Command Spells. Would he have killed Lancer if I’d used one of these?
    It was possible. She wasn’t sure how much it would have empowered him. Rin shook her head, dismissing the thought. Now, if he finds out where and who Lancer’s Master is, then we’d be in business. The Master was the weak link in each pair. She grimaced as the full implications sank in. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

About an hour after she arrived home, a soft ringing alerted her to Archer’s presence outside. With a word, she allowed him to enter the bounded field around her home, and soon enough her Servant had joined her.

“Archer, did-?”

“I lost him.”

“You lost him?!” Rin shouted, incredulous. “After saying how slow he was?”

Archer sighed. “Have you ever run races, Rin?”

The question threw her. “N-no?” Nothing serious, anyways.

“Part of the track and field club?”

A brief image of a young boy stubbornly hurling himself at a high jump that he simply could not overcome. Rin shook her head again, both in answer and to get rid of the intrusive image.

Archer, oblivious to her thoughts, continued. “I’m much faster than Lancer in short bursts, but his stamina is insane. I chased him for most of the time since you sent me after him, but he can maintain that speed for longer than me, and I didn’t engage with him.”

She remembered his earlier words and nodded.

“So I exhausted myself long before he did, and got away. It didn’t help that he ran through Shinto.” Archer even looked a little abashed.

“Oh-ho? What was it you said about being able to see across Shinto again?” Rin grinned.

His brow furrowed. “From a height, Rin.” He said, clearly exasperated.

That wasn't nearly as snarky a response as she'd come to expect from Archer. She looked at his wounded shoulder. “How badly injured are you?”

He rubbed his shoulder. “I’m at about three fourths of my combat effectiveness. Give me another week and I’ll be back to normal. Unless you want to pump more magical energy into me or use a Command Spell… but I wouldn’t bother doing either yet.”

Rin nodded firmly. “Well, tonight aside, we shouldn’t have to fight any other Servants until the Heaven’s Feel is officially announced.”

“And when will that be?” Archer inquired.

“I’m not sure. That fake priest – sorry, the Church Overseer – said that there were only two more Masters undeclared before I summoned you.”

“So that could be as soon as tonight.” He pointed out dryly.

“God, I hope not.” Rin rubbed her eyes. “One fight was enough for tonight…”

“Mm.” Archer seemed to be in agreement with that. “Ah, before I forget…” He pulled out her pendant, handing it back to her.

“You… went back and got it?” She felt absurdly, profoundly grateful for the gesture. Even if the amulet was meaningless without the magical energy her father had invested into it, having it back in her possession was reassuring.

Something niggled at the back of her mind, but she couldn’t tell what it was immediately. Frowning, Rin thought hard, reviewing the battle’s events. “Say, Archer…”

“What is it, Rin?”

“Do you think Lancer knew you were following him?” Her hand drifted up to her chin unconsciously.

“Not after the first half hour, no.”

“And he didn’t go anywhere near the school?”

“You have a thought.” He observed. “Follow it.”

“I’m just wondering, how close was Lancer’s Master to the school?”

“They might not have even been within a kilometer. You don’t always need to be next to me – and that’s true even of other Servants – who aren’t as specialized for operating on their own as me – and their Masters.”

Rin felt her stomach begin to sink. “So then how did they know that there was a witness?”

“What makes you think they did?”

“Lancer was very focused on fighting us, but as soon as he heard that snap, he was chasing that boy like a dog might a juicy slab of meat.”

“It could have been standing orders.” Archer’s tone was reasonable, but she could tell he was at least a little impressed. Rin tried to push down on the feeling of satisfaction that his implicit approval gave her.

“Do you think Lancer would have lost him, if we’d retreated?” There was no question in her mind that they could possibly have won in those circumstances.

“… No, no I don’t.”

Rin shot to her feet, hastily grabbing her jacket and pulling it on.

“Rin?” Archer looked at her, surprised and perhaps a touch alarmed.

“That means that his Master had some way of seeing what was happening at school. A familiar whose eyes they could see through, or something like that.” She explained, already opening the door and stepping out. Archer followed swiftly. “Which means…”

“His Master would have found out that you saved the kid.” Archer concluded. He shot her a look, an implicit question in his gaze, but Rin ignored it. She wasn’t going to even begin to try answering that, since not even she was sure of what her answer would be.

“If I remember… he lives over…” She reinforced her muscles once more, looked over her shoulder at him. “Come on, Archer!” With that, she was off.

The Servant sighed, following after her. “I’m still not seeing why we have to do this.”

“To protect my investment!” A spur of the moment response, but one that felt right.

Saber
    Near Camlann, Lloegr, Dusk of the Age of Legends
    She was lying on the wet earth, as far from the battlefield as her most devoted knight could take her broken body. Her eyes were filled with tears of fury and sorrow. She had been through so much to fulfill the promise she’d made, that desperate dying wish to do better. She had fought against a noble foe, only to have her battle denied, her foe forced to kill himself. She had been forced to watch her ally kill their enemies in direct violation of his oath. She had fought against a monster, had seen beloved friend and lady die for their mutual goal… only to be forced to destroy that very when it was so close. Bile mixed with blood in her throat, and the tears slowly trailed down her cheeks.

Worst of all, she had been confronted with the utter failures that her reign had brought. She been forced to kill a friend that her own actions had driven mad at his own insane request… simply because she had wished that he be happy with a woman dear to her.

I… should never have been king. With that thought in her mind, she was pulled away again.

Emiya Household, Nighttime, 2nd February 2004
    Saber felt the familiar light swirling around her. Again. This time, I shall not fail. It faded slowly, but even as it did she saw an armored man thrusting a spear at a prone youth. She kicked off the ground driving forwards to meet him with a sweep of her invisible sword. The satisfying impact of weapon-on-weapon sent vibrations down her arms as she knocked the spear aside.

It is not done yet. The spearman, probably Lancer, was off-balance now. With a burst of mana, she followed through on the strike, pirouetting and bringing her sword up diagonally in a slash across the man’s armored chest. A dreadful screech of breaking metal and blood filled the air as her winds whipped it free of the wound.

Lancer’s spear sailed out of his hand, and he staggered back several steps, clutching at the deep gash in his armor. “The last Servant?” He growled. I am summoned as the last, then. This time, I shall succeed.

Seeing that he would take at least a short while to recover, if not outright retreat, Saber turned to her summoner, who sat on the floor of a familiar summoning circle. Irisviel… I’m so sorry. It seemed fate had a sense of irony.

She shut the emotions down with the ease of long practice, and looked down at him, measuring. A child, by the judgement of the Japanese of this age, but old enough to fight in her own time. If he had been standing, he would be taller than her, but she was used to that. More importantly, he did not have the flat, dead look of Emiya Kiritsugu – there was an openness to the shock in his eyes.

“Beautiful…” He breathed.

It seems he has a refined taste for swordsmanship. Saber realized. Another difference from her previous Master. That was oddly… pleasing. Glancing up, she saw a young woman with violet hair, probably the same age as him, attempting to hide behind a pile of… junk? No matter.

She returned her gaze to the one who should be her new Master. Silence that seemed to stretch for too long – there was something comfortably familiar in his gaze – before she spoke.

“… I ask of you. Are you my Master?”

The girl gasped quietly, but the young man’s brow furrowed in confusion. “M-master? What do you…?”

That is a poor start.

“I,” she said finally, “Servant Saber, have come forth in response to your call. Please, give me an order, Master.”

He gasped sharply as Command Seals burned themselves onto his hand, and he grabbed it with his other, grimacing. Immediately, she noticed that her body felt… heavier than it should have, and the magical energy sustaining her was reedy, thin, compared to the relative flood of Kiritsugu.

Ah. Then he is my Master. “From this moment, then, my sword shall be with you, and your fate shall rest with me… Our contract is complete.”

“Please, save him, Saber-san!” The girl cried. His wife…? She wondered. Another bitter reminder of past failures, if so, but this was not the time for reminiscence. The girl was right. Lancer was still here – his heavy footsteps were approaching her back.

She turned on the ball of her foot, bringing Excalibur up in a ready position. The Lancer before her was a far cry from her previous foe. The heavy, blood-stained, and spiked armor set him apart, as did the fangs that gleamed in the moonlight. No beautiful warrior was this.

Lancer’s expression was thunderous. “You would dare harm a representative of God on this Earth? Little girl, Saber or not, you shall feel His wroth!”

That meant Lancer originated after the advent of Christianity, in the part of the world where it dominated. Furthermore, he was likely a monarch of some sort. “I imagine that you have appointed yourself as the one to dispense that wroth, Lancer?” She allowed a faint smile onto her lips. “I am, as you have said, Saber. Let us begin.”

Lancer charged, his heavy boots churning the dirt of the yard. He’s… slow. Saber realized. That was unusual, but very much to her advantage. She rushed to meet him – he couldn’t be allowed to get past to her Master or the girl.

As she closed with him, Saber took a slight sidestep around the outstretched spear, whirling her blade up to catch on one of the spikes and pull it past her. Reversing the direction, she slashed at Lancer’s neck.

This time, however, he was more prepared, and used one of his shoulder spikes to block. Fortunately, her sword’s invisible blade skipped off the top of the spike and slashed him across the cheek instead.

He winced, releasing his spear with one hand to claw at her with a backswing. Saber caught it with her sword’s edge, tossing it aside with a flourish. Fresh blood stained his gauntlet as he took a few steps back. “Hmph. No wonder they call Sabers the strongest Servant. What sort of sword is that?”

“Who said it was a sword? It could be an axe, or a bow. Perhaps it is a club?” Saber replied.

“Don’t patronize me, child.” Lancer glowered at her. "I shall return to wreak vengeance upon you-"

"You talk too much, Lancer." Taking advantage of his instant of distraction, she attacked, striking at the joint in his armor at his right elbow. The other Servant was simply not fast enough to move, and she felt the satisfying crunch of metal beneath her attack. Blood sprayed from the injury, and Lancer roared, his injured hand shooting out in turn to slash at her face.

Can’t block with Excalibur. Instead, she ducked low and sent as powerful a wind as she could muster upwards. Thus, instead of having her eyes torn, her bun was cut instead, letting her hair fall about her shoulders. Inconvenient, but nowhere near as much as being blinded would be – especially without Avalon.

Lancer kicked off the ground in a prodigious leap, landing with a crash atop the wall of the Emiya estate. “Whoever you are, Saber, I will have my revenge." He once again vowed. "You shall look far better impaled and left for the sun to witness.” He took another leap away.

Saber was about to hurry after him when her Master’s voice came from behind her.

“Wait! Where are you going?” He cried.

“To pursue an enemy and end the threat he poses.” She replied rationally, before leaping over the wall to follow Lancer. She could end him tonight – she was positive.

Rin
    Emiya Residence, Nighttime
    Rin and Archer had rushed through the streets of Miyama, passing through the shopping district and beyond towards where she was almost positive that Emiya-kun lived. The streets had felt strangely labyrinthine, confusing in ways that they shouldn’t have been, but they managed to get into the older district sooner than she had hoped.

As they approached the residence, she noticed something amiss – there was a bounded field set up around the walls. A poorly wrought one, to be certain, but it was definitely there. Either someone’s set it up to keep the noise from getting out or... Her stomach dropped. Or Emiya-kun is a magus unknown to the Mage’s Association. That was just as bad - she was responsible for that sort of thing here, and she might well pay for her lack of knowledge shortly.

With a final burst of speed, she arrived at the door… just in time for an armored figure to crash to the ground nearby. “Lancer!” She gasped. Before she could do more than speak the word, Archer was in front of her, his two swords in hand.

“You two!” Lancer’s deep voice was tight with pain.

What the heck happened to him? He looked much the worse for wear – his right arm was broken, blood staining the side of the armor that had been clean, while a deep cut marred his cheek. Most disturbingly, there was a tremendous gash across his breastplate, from which blood visibly dripped. Furthermore, the cuts that Archer had given him were gone. What kind of healing does he have? Worse, what did that to him?

“I don’t have time for you two.” He continued, before performing a tremendous leap away from the pair, soaring overhead.

“Wait, he can jump like that?” Rin exclaimed.

Before Archer could respond, another figure landed lightly on the pavement outside the Emiya household – this one was much smaller.

“Another Servant?” Her voice was strong, but definitely female, and she was a blur as she lunged at Archer, winds whirling about her.

While he lifted one sword to parry, Rin knew he wouldn’t be able to take the attack. It’ll take his head off!

“Archer, escape!” She unleashed the power of her Command Spells for the second time, and her Servant vanished in a flicker of miraculous power.

Now alone, Rin stared at her attacker. Tugging out a fully charged gem, she desperately drew on its power to summon as powerful a curse as she could. Leveling her finger she unleashed it. “Gandr!”

The Servant didn’t even flinch, taking it on her chest and stepping towards Rin regardless. With a small whirlwind, the other woman swung an invisible weapon at her. Rin kicked back, desperately evading, only to stumble and fall on her butt. Well. This is a humiliating way to die. Stupid, stupid, stupid…

The Servant approached, pointing the weapon at Rin’s throat. Now that she was still, Rin was struck by the Servant’s almost doll-like beauty, with blond hair hanging down around her face and cool green eyes that seemed to pierce her soul.

“That was a well-cast spell, magus. I commend you for your skill. Had I been any other Servant, it might well have given you time to escape.” Even her voice was beautiful.

Rin gazed upwards, fighting back shame. She was going to fail her father, and the Tohsaka line would end with her – because of her own stupid error.

“This is the end, Master of Archer.” She lifted her unseen sword.

“Saber!” A familiar voice called. “Don’t!”

The girl froze, locked in place as Emiya Shirou emerged from behind her, incongruously gripping an iron pipe. “Wait. Please. I don’t want you to kill her.”

US Friend Code
    Hmmm… another route of Fate/Stay Night, huh. I’ll keep an eye on this one.

It seems a little redundant that you’re essentially rewriting specific scenes from the original story, I would recommend alluding to these events and try to focus on the “new events”.

Also, just FYI, you don’t really need a “trigger warning” for stuff here. Personally, I’d only reserve it for if you planned on portraying more “explicitly disturbing” things, in which case I’d just stick a disclaimer at the beginning of the story instead of putting stuff on individual chapters.

In general, I try to do the trigger warning because I don't know what folks've experienced, and I don't want to make an unpleasant surprise for them. Although I don't think I have any in the near future necessary.

As to the repeated scenes, yeah. I generally try to bring new things to them, but don't always succeed. Sometimes I get it by giving a new perspective to the scene, and giving some insight into how I imagine they'd be reacting, but for Rin in particular during the first three days, that's not as possible.

A lot of the stuff will be new intermixed with the original, but I confess I haven't been able to fully get rid of my tendency to put things in from the original VN. We'll start departing from it more and more later.
    --------------------------------------------

- My very first Fanfiction.

Chapter 10: A (Less Hostile) Meeting
    Shirou
    Emiya Household, Nighttime, 2nd February 2004

Shirou sat, stunned, as the girl – Saber? – rushed off to finish her battle with the one she’d called Lancer. What just happened?

“Senpai…” Sakura’s voice brought him out of his daze. “Your shoulder.”

He glanced down at the injury, only to find that it wasn’t an injury. The wound had healed. A moment of shock – I thought that someone else healed me… was it me all along?

No, that thought could wait. The girl was out there putting herself in danger for his sake. Shirou pushed himself to his feet, and snatched an iron pipe from the ground. “Sakura, stay here. I’ve got to go help her.”

“Senpai, wait!”

But he couldn’t – it would just be wrong. So he dashed out of the broken shed, reinforcing the pipe as he went. Through the house, leaping over small bits of debris and fallen furniture, Shirou threw open the door and saw Saber lifting her weapon as she stood over a prone girl. Tohsaka?

“Saber!” He extended his left hand to stop her. “Don’t!” The brand on his left hand blazed red, before one third of it faded, and Saber froze. “Wait, please. I don’t want you to kill her.”

“Master,” she said calmly, “she is an enemy. She attempted to kill us in turn – she brought her own Servant here.”

“Servant? Never mind, that’s not important. Tohsaka, are you alright?” He extended his free hand to her.

She blinked up at him, silent.

“Tohsaka?”

Shaking her head, she refused his hand and got to her feet on her own. “What’s going on here, Emiya-kun?”

“Senpai – and Tohsaka-senpai?” Sakura’s voice cut him off.

Tohsaka looked at him, then at Saber, and then at Sakura. Pinching the bridge of her nose, she sighed. “Alright. This is clearly going to take a while. Can I come in, Emiya-kun?”

“Ah… sure.” He led them back inside, baffled as to what was happening.

“Sorry, Tohsaka, that I can’t really offer hospitality.” Shirou said as he guided her into the dining area.

“It’s fine. Lancer really did a number on this place, didn’t he?” Tohsaka said as she surveyed the broken wall and ruined table.

“Ah, yeah.” Shirou nodded.

“Let me.” Tohsaka looked at the ruins of the wall and the table and uttered a few words under her breath. A blue glow suffused the area as the rubble returned itself to where it belonged and the holes on the table closed shut.

Wow. “You must be an incredible magus, Tohsaka. Thank you very much.” Shirou bowed.

All three of the women in the room shot him odd looks.

“You’re right, Emiya-kun, but any student should be able to do this much.” Tohsaka said. “Anyways, consider this a partial repayment for sparing my life.”

He righted the table. “Is that so? I’ve only ever really managed analysis and reinforcement.”

Tohsaka’s gaze narrowed, and Sakura blinked.

“Please, make yourselves comfortable. I’ll go make some tea.” Shirou said. The other three’s stares sharpened, and he felt them follow his escape into the kitchen, leaving a frosty silence behind.

Thankful that Lancer had not broken anything in the kitchen, Shirou prepared the tea. As cleaning had earlier in the night, preparing the tea gave him the chance to calm himself. Things had gone crazy tonight, and he desperately needed that. Not only did he have to get an explanation for what was happening, he also had to give an explanation to Sakura. Furthermore, the fact that no less than three beautiful girls were sitting in his dining room, waiting for him…

Sakura, he knew well, though from the way she’d handled Saber’s appearance, he was beginning to doubt that he knew her half so well as he’d thought. Her apparent willingness to help him hide a body had also shaken the foundation of his understanding of her.

Tohsaka had been the school idol, far distant and unattainable, but still so beautiful that he couldn’t help but feel drawn to her. Now that he’d seen her fighting with Lancer and repairing his home, she felt even more intimidating.

Saber was a stranger to him, but between saving his life and Sakura’s, her beauty, her obvious skill with a sword, and something ineffably magnetic about her, she was perhaps the most alarming of the trio.

What the hell are you thinking? This isn’t a romcom. Focus, Shirou. Picking up two extra cups, he brought the tea over to the newly repaired table and sat down.
    “Here you are.” He served tea to each of his guests in turn.

Saber alone bowed her head. “Thank you, Master.”

“Look, could you not call me that?” Shirou scratched the back of his head uncomfortably. “My name’s Emiya Shirou. I don’t want to rule over anyone.”

“Very well, Shirou.”

His heart skipped a beat at the sudden familiarity, but Tohsaka spoke before he could reply. “So, not only was there an unknown magus in Fuyuki, but he’s also a total amateur, and somehow summoned the strongest Servant of the Holy Grail War.” She looked to Saber. “You are Saber, right?”

“Yes. Unfortunately, I was summoned in a somewhat unconventional way, and my strength is not as great as it ought to be.”

Rin clutched her head with one hand, slamming the other on the table. “If I’d been able to summon you, I would have had this victory for certain! Instead this… inept amateur summoned you, and did it wrong besides!” She shook her head violently, her twin-tails flying.

This was a side of Tohsaka that he’d never imagined. Gone was the image of the perfect student, queen of all she surveyed, and it was replaced with a somewhat ill-tempered and rude young woman. Somehow, though, that was more comfortable to him than his previous understanding of her.

“What’s wrong, Emiya-kun? Do you have some objection to my assessment?” Tohsaka’s eyes met his own.

“Well, it’s true I don’t really know what I did, but…” Shirou averted his gaze from Tohsaka, only for it to fall on Sakura, whose expression was cold – almost dead. It reminded him uncomfortably of when he had met her two years prior. Of course, she’s even more lost than me.

“Wait. Let’s start this over. Saber, this is Tohsaka Rin,” he nodded at her, then looked to Sakura, “and Matou Sakura. Sakura’s my friend’s little sister and…”

“It is nice to meet you, Rin, Sakura.” Saber bowed her head.

That’s an awfully courteous greeting to someone you just tried to kill… Shirou kept that thought to himself, focusing on Sakura. “Right, Sakura, you must be really confused about everything here, magi, and…”

“I’m not.” Her voice was cold. “Senpai, I think you’re the one who knows the least here.”

“Excuse me?” Shirou replied, baffled. “I… what?”

“The Matous are the other major mage family in Fuyuki.” Tohsaka explained. “And the only others that I’m aware of.”

Shirou felt his jaw drop.

Sakura
    Emiya Household, Midnight

Sakura had been dreading this coming to light for almost two years. Her family situation was a nightmare, and she had never wanted to inflict it on Shirou. Of course, the news that he was a magus – albeit a self-admitted amateur – relieved some of that burden, but still, that knowledge might prompt further prying into the hellhole that was the Matou household and her life there. If her Senpai were to learn about that, he would definitely interfere… and Zouken would easily kill him.
    Uncle Kariya… She closed her eyes against the memory of him being devoured by the worms that were in her, too. But maybe… Saber is supposed to be the strongest Servant. That means that she’ll be able to protect him.

It also meant that he would have a huge target on his back as soon as the other Masters knew of him. Of course, Nii-san would probably have sent Rider after Senpai even if he wasn’t a Master. That also worried her. Rider should have been her responsibility, and even now she felt some level of a connection to her – if only emotional. If Saber destroyed Rider…

It would be my fault for letting Nii-san and grandfather take her from me. Her stomach twisted at the thought. Just like everything else.

Her thoughts returned to the present situation. What the heck is happening? She wondered. Nee-san is here, with her own Servant, and she’s telling Senpai things about the Grail War. Are they going to ally? Senpai stopped Saber from killing Nee-san… is he in love with her? No, no, that was absurd. Her sister didn’t allow anyone close. But still, she was the perfect girl at school, and even though Sakura trusted Shirou entirely, he would definitely be tempted, right?

She took a deep breath. No. Calm down. He wouldn’t be Emiya Shirou if he let Nee-san die… and I don’t want Nee-san to die. She really didn’t, even if Rin was the perfect girl, a powerful magus, a Master with her own Servant and a possible rival – No. Stop.

Her attention was drawn back to the moment when Shirou made introductions to Saber. She bowed silently in turn to Saber upon being greeted, but couldn’t muster even the smallest smile for her Senpai’s Servant.

She’s a pretty girl, too… But she was a Servant. There wasn’t any real chance of that happening. You’re being paranoid, Sakura. Relax.

“Right, Sakura, you must be really confused about everything here, magi, and…” Shirou said.

“I’m not.” She heard herself say. “Senpai, I think you’re the one who knows the least here.” Immediately, she winced inwardly. That had been so rude of her, saying it like that.

“Excuse me?” Shirou replied, baffled. “I… what?”

Sakura was about to try to explain when her older sister spoke up instead.

“The Matous are the other major mage family in Fuyuki, and the only others that I’m aware of.”

Shirou’s jaw dropped. “Wait, so Sakura… you’re a mage?”

She flinched. “Not… really.”

“What?!” Rin’s voice was a razor-sharp whip, cracking in between them. “That wasn’t…”

Wasn’t what? Sakura repressed a shiver. This was getting towards dangerous territory. Talking about mages always put her on edge, especially when it involved her family – or the one that had given her up. Naturally, that was where the conversation was heading. “Senpai needs to know more about this, Tohsaka-senpai.” She changed the subject, hopefully refocusing them on the matter at hand.

“Right, of course. So, Emiya-kun, since I have to repay my debt to you, I will do so right now.”

Debt? Is that how Nee-san thinks? That gratitude is a debt that can be repaid and then forgotten? Sakura repressed a quiver of anger. She, at least, knew that she could never repay her debt to Shirou. He had saved her.

Rin launched into her explanation of Servants, their classes, the Holy Grail War, but Shirou immediately displayed his ignorance of several basic concepts of magecraft, prompting her to go briefly over those, as well. Sakura listened with half an ear – as she didn’t know most of those things, either – but was more concerned with two other problems facing her.

First, how much information could she afford to share with Shirou? How much less should she share with her sister? Keeping the fact that Shinji was a Master secret would be safest for her personally, but it would possibly endanger both of them. Nii-san would definitely want to kill Senpai, and probably rape Nee-san. She touched the ribbon in her hair quietly. No matter how estranged she was from Rin, she wouldn’t wish that on her.

Wouldn’t you? She frowned at the intrusive thought. She wouldn’t. Right? Pushing her uncertainty aside, she took a slow, silent breath, and returned to her train of thought.

The problem was that her grandfather would find out about any leak of information soon after it happened – especially once he learned that Shirou was a Master. He probably already knows about Nee-san. Furthermore, while she was pretty sure that Shirou wouldn’t try to kill Shinji, she was equally certain that Tohsaka would, if she knew he was a Master.

Nii-san is still family… Even if he was a petty, spiteful, raping bastard whose redeeming features she couldn’t immediately identify, he was still her brother. And there was still the issue of Rider’s fate in this.

Sakura shivered, looking back at the animated discussion between her two senpai. Aren’t they getting along a little too well? Despite her earlier resolve, she felt her stomach twist in jealous fury. I was here first, Nee-san. You didn’t see him, his determination, his drive… he gave me hope. You gave me up. That wasn’t fair, she knew. It had been the man who had been her father who had given her over to the hell that was her life. But seeing Tohsaka, hearing her speak about magical matters… it drove home how successful and talented she was compared to Sakura’s uselessness.

Nee-san would never have given up Rider.

Shirou’s voice interrupted her thoughts. “Wait, you’re saying that I should let Saber fight – risk her life – while I just sit back and watch? That’s… absurd.”
    Rin blinked, but it was Saber who answered. “Shirou. I am a skilled warrior, moreso than you will likely ever be. While your valor is admirable, I am the weapon with which you ought to fight.”

“No, Saber, you’re a person!” Shirou shot her a frown. “And I won’t let someone else risk their life for me while I’m staying safe.”

Rin pinched the bridge of her nose. “Emiya-kun, you really…”

“Senpai…” Sakura spoke for the first time in several minutes. “Please take care of yourself. Saber-san is a strong person. She can protect herself.”

“I can’t let her risk her life for me.” Shirou repeated himself, a stubborn cast to his brow. “Besides, I don’t really get why we have to fight at all. This wish-granting cup seems… implausible.”

“Hmm…” Rin pursed her lips. “Alright, it’s a Saturday night. Why don’t you come with me to meet with someone who knows a lot more about the Holy Grail War than me?”

Shirou’s frown deepened. It was a cute expression, and her heart beat a little faster to see it. Heat flared in her belly, slowly descending between her legs. No. No, not now, please. She focused on what he was saying.

“Where is it? It’s still pretty late…”

“Like I said, it’s Sunday tomorrow. You won’t have to worry about going to school.”

“That’s not the problem…” Shirou looked at Sakura, who repressed a shiver at his direct attention. No, stop, please. She took a deep breath, meeting his gaze. Rin followed his gaze towards Sakura, and she nodded slowly.

“Well, if you don’t want to leave her here, I understand. Saber, do you want to come with?” She looked to Shirou’s Servant.

“No, Senpai, if you’re worried about me, why don’t I come with you?” Sakura interjected before either Shirou or Saber could speak.

Rin froze, before turning slowly. Was that anger in her eyes? “Sakura… you’re not a Master.”

She fought down the shame that threatened to burn her cheeks.

“Going out with us would put you in serious danger. Be a good girl and wait here – Lancer won’t be coming back after how badly Saber injured him.”

A frigid surge of anger froze her emotions. You… just because you’re stronger, a better magus, richer, prettier, and smarter than me doesn’t mean that I’m going to abandon Senpai, Nee-san. I may be weak, but he is the most important person in the world to me, and I won’t leave him to go risk his life alone! There were other, less innocent motives as well, but that was the most important.

“Tohsaka-senpai.” Her voice was just a shade short of icy. “I don’t trust Senpai’s safety to you. You’re his enemy, remember?”

Tohsaka opened her mouth to reply, but Shirou spoke first. “I don’t think she’s going to try to hurt me, Sakura. I’m pretty sure saved my life earlier tonight, after all.”

“Y-you…” Rin’s cheeks flushed. “You noticed that, huh?”

Nee-san?! Why are you blushing about that?

“Yeah. You were the only one who could have done it, I’m pretty sure.”

“I guess you did see Archer and I fighting Lancer…”

Shirou nodded. “If she wanted me dead, she would have let me die there.”

“Senpai… what’re you talking about?”

“Oh, right. I didn’t explain that yet.” Shirou launched into his own explanation, talking about how Lancer had nearly killed him after he had stumbled on a battle at school between Rin, her Servant, and Lancer.

Sakura covered her mouth, horrified. If Nee-san hadn’t intervened, I would have lost him forever, and never known why.Gratitude welled up in her, before it was replaced by confusion. Wait, if that was the case, why did Nee-san claim she owed Senpai a debt? She had assumed it was because Shirou had saved Rin’s life from Saber, but…

Is she just concealing her motives? Justifying it for him so that she doesn’t have to acknowledge she likes him? The thought marred her gratitude.

“So yeah, thanks for that, Tohsaka.” Shirou smiled.

“I see why you requested me to spare her, Shirou. One should not slay one’s savior.” Saber spoke, a note of approval in her voice.

“Hmph.” Rin tossed her head, sending her twintails flying. “I didn’t do it out of the charity of my heart. I just didn’t like how Lancer did things. I was going to modify your memories afterwards, rather than just let him kill you outright.”

Rather than risk letting them fall into some sort of bizarre flirtation, Sakura spoke up. “Thank you for saving Senpai, Tohsaka-senpai.” She bowed deeply. For all that her gratitude was mixed with fear, she was grateful to her sister.

“I-it’s fine. Like I was saying, I just don’t like people who kill others for expedience’s sake. It’s… clumsy.”

Now that she was listening to it again, Sakura became increasingly certain that Rin was putting up a front on her actual feelings. She can’t act on them! She can’t! If Senpai notices she might like him… he’d choose her over me every time. Who wouldn’t?

“Anyways. Are you coming or not, Emiya-kun?” Rin looked back to him.

“I don’t feel comfortable leaving Sakura alone here.” Shirou said again.

He does worry about me. The vice of anxiety around her heart eased somewhat, followed swiftly by her shameful ignition of arousal. She shoved it away with an effort. Somehow, doing that had been easier before.

“I just got done explaining that I don’t like getting outsiders involved in this sort of thing-!” Rin snapped back.

“If I may suggest a solution…” Saber said. “I shall take on the task of Sakura’s protection as well as that of Shirou for the duration of our trip. It is a knight’s duty to protect women and noncombatants.”

Sakura blinked. She hadn’t expected that. But now that it was on the table, she nodded fiercely.

Rin considered this idea. “Alright. If even the strongest Servant is volunteering to keep her protected, I guess I can’t object too much more.”

“I don’t like the idea of being protected without contributing, but I suppose it’s settled for now. Who are we meeting with, Tohsaka?”

“The Overseer of the Holy Grail War, Kotomine Kirei. He’s the priest at the Fuyuki Church.”

Sakura was certain that nobody else noticed Saber stiffen at the name.
    --------------------------------------------

- My very first Fanfiction.