Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 27101112

Thread: [FF] Reign of Winter I - Lost in the Snow (Grail Works, Ltd.: Type-Moon/Pathfinder/Multi-X-over)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    . . . So I've been running into some issues/ideas blocking my present chapter, and can't seem to solve them myself. Ergo, I'm outsourcing to you all.

As noted in the previous chapter, the Ilya from Kuro's world is suffering the same power loss effect she does/did in the canon "Prisma Ilya" timeline. The problem is, it never actually seems to be solved; it's just never brought up after a certain point - not in the anime, at least. Does anybody know if it is actually solved, further on in the source material?

Further, I'm presuming that any solution requires Kuro's presence, and with Shirou "in the party," as it were, I'm prepared to let her go - but who, if anyone, should I replace her with?
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Um... I'd say go to the wiki, but I have doubts that it'd do any good, all things considered.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Yeah, me too - it just seems like an odd detail/subplot to set aside, though.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Too true.

Well, I'm getting back to work on the first installment of my Grail Works entries, so I'll show you what I have as soon as possible.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    As noted in the previous chapter, the Ilya from Kuro's world is suffering the same power loss effect she does/did in the canon "Prisma Ilya" timeline. The problem is, it never actually seems to be solved; it's just never brought up after a certain point - not in the anime, at least. Does anybody know if it is actually solved, further on in the source material?
    Hmm, so Illya has Kuro's power drain problem? That doesn't make sense, if I'm remembering right Kuro's problem was that the world was trying to erase her since she shouldn't exist (kind of like with Heroic Spirits, though at a slower rate). I don't think they did solve that problem, Kuro just, um, takes power from Illya when she needs it. I would suggest giving Illya an actual body, instead of being a magical construct, but shouldn't she already have that?

Blog Entries
    Not quite correct. The problem I'm referring to is that, once Kuro split off, Ilya's prana capacity apparently took a nosedive. Whether it's because Kuro unconsciously taps most of Ilya's reserves to sustain herself, or whatever method formed her just took most of Ilya's Magic Circuits and placed them in her (pseudo-)body is never explained - nor is it ever explained how the problem fixes itself. However, (at least in the anime) after a couple of fights where Ilya collapses due to magical exhaustion, the problem just seems to go away. At least, it's never brought up again.

. . . As you might have guessed, I take issue with this. As a result, Prisma Ilya's capacity is going to stay diminished (unless the Works finds a way to repair it), and she's going to require Kuro/Ilyasviel's presence in order to survive her coming battles. This, of course, will necessitate her leaving - which is its own set of obstacles to overcome - I'm mainly thinking of the need to transfer the geas to someone else in order to allow her to return; preferably someone compatible with, or connected to, Kuro in some way.

But still, that leaves the question of, who should she be replaced with? Should she be replaced? Shirou's presence fulfills my "one Type-Moon/Works character, one OC" partnering mandate, after all; on the other hand, Chiwa Saito has voiced an awful lot of Type-Moon characters besides Kuro, including Tamamo-no-Mae . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    I vote for the Kyuubi no Yoko that you have in mind. Simple as that.

Not quite correct. The problem I'm referring to is that, once Kuro split off, Ilya's prana capacity apparently took a nosedive. Whether it's because Kuro unconsciously taps most of Ilya's reserves to sustain herself, or whatever method formed her just took most of Ilya's Magic Circuits and placed them in her (pseudo-)body is never explained - nor is it ever explained how the problem fixes itself. However, (at least in the anime) after a couple of fights where Ilya collapses due to magical exhaustion, the problem just seems to go away. At least, it's never brought up again.

. . . As you might have guessed, I take issue with this. As a result, Prisma Ilya's capacity is going to stay diminished (unless the Works finds a way to repair it), and she's going to require Kuro/Ilyasviel's presence in order to survive her coming battles. This, of course, will necessitate her leaving - which is its own set of obstacles to overcome - I'm mainly thinking of the need to transfer the geas to someone else in order to allow her to return; preferably someone compatible with, or connected to, Kuro in some way.

But still, that leaves the question of, who should she be replaced with? Should she be replaced? Shirou's presence fulfills my "one Type-Moon/Works character, one OC" partnering mandate, after all; on the other hand, Chiwa Saito has voiced an awful lot of Type-Moon characters besides Kuro, including Tamamo-no-Mae . . .
    Didn't Ilya grailing Kuro a body fix that though?

Blog Entries
    On Kuro's end, yes - she has no need to drain prana from anyone. She's a real girl, albeit a half-drow one.

The Ilya she came from, on the other hand, is still suffering the effects of having whatever parts of her Magic Circuits that were used to make up Kuro ripped out - and that's going to be harder to fix. Specifically, as noted, it means that as far as the Works can tell, Ilya's eventually going to get herself killed because she's weakened; (probably fighting against Bazett).

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

On Kuro's end, yes - she has no need to drain prana from anyone. She's a real girl, albeit a half-drow one.

The Ilya she came from, on the other hand, is still suffering the effects of having whatever parts of her Magic Circuits that were used to make up Kuro ripped out - and that's going to be harder to fix. Specifically, as noted, it means that as far as the Works can tell, Ilya's eventually going to get herself killed because she's weakened; (probably fighting against Bazett).
    I thought that fixed it on both ends, been awhile since I read the manga though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by honed View Post
    I thought that fixed it on both ends, been awhile since I read the manga though.
    Likewise, and I never finished it - so I was hoping that someone who'd read it all might be able to tell me for certain. Like I said, the anime kind of glosses over the problem after an episode or two . . .

And frankly, even aside from that, permanently removing Kuro altogether from her universe doesn't sit quite well with me; so I figure that I can borrow her for a bit, but she'll eventually have to go back - unless somebody can come up with a better solution?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    . . . So, I've now been through three straight weeks of writer's block on this fic - four weeks, if you count the week I spent working on "Trinity" beforehand. And this is despite the fact that since I'm basing it on an RPG module, I literally have a step-by-step guide as to What Happens Next.

. . . I think it's time to seriously consider the idea that this isn't working; not if I have to force myself this much, and still end up with nothing.

There are a couple of possibilities as to where I can go from here; from the (comparatively) simple option of just letting it all go here, to a more complex, flat-out reboot that would require me to learn how to retitle threads (anybody know if that's even possible?). But for the moment, I think it's safe to consider this fic on hiatus, and on life support. Sorry.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Kieran, I think you would be better served to reboot, but to have a moderator or admin retitle the threads for you. I don't think it's possible for you to retitle threads as you are right now.

Likewise, and I never finished it - so I was hoping that someone who'd read it all might be able to tell me for certain. Like I said, the anime kind of glosses over the problem after an episode or two . . .

And frankly, even aside from that, permanently removing Kuro altogether from her universe doesn't sit quite well with me; so I figure that I can borrow her for a bit, but she'll eventually have to go back - unless somebody can come up with a better solution?
    I think I see what you mean? Maybe you could use the black knight to take her? If not, he did mention an artifact for crossing worlds....

EDIT: If you need to reboot, go ahead, as long as you have a plan. I enjoyed this story though.
    Last edited by honed; June 8th, 2016 at 01:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    At the moment, I have two or three . . .

Any elements and/or characters you're particularly fond of? If so, I'll see what I can salvage.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette