Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sakura-con 2015

Blog Entries

Sakura-con 2015

Event: Sakura-con 2015
    Date: April 3-5, 2015

I'll be attending as both video game corner staff as well as a first-time panelist, presenting Unlimited TYPE-MOON Works on Sunday (there will be trivia and prizes!).
    I'm sure there will also be a TYPE-MOON cosplay gathering just like last year so will probably dig out my old Tohno Shiki cosplay for this. Expecting to see plenty of Sabers and Tohsaka Rins this time around thanks to the F/SN UBW anime.

Anyone else planning on attending?

~Keripo
    Last edited by Keripo; February 20th, 2015 at 04:00 PM.
    Keripo's Corner: http://keripo.com | Arcueid is mai waifu ^_^

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    My panel didn't get accepted, presumably to fit in more time for Ask Hetalia-type panels, and as the guest list so far is kinda lame I'm not sure I'll be attending.

Was it a Type-Moon panel?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. Keripo mentioned he was gonna do his panel as general-TM related stuff, so mine was going to be Fate-specific to explain stuff related to questions regarding the anime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Yeah. Keripo mentioned he was gonna do his panel as general-TM related stuff, so mine was going to be Fate-specific to explain stuff related to questions regarding the anime.
    That sucks, I was hoping there'd be more TYPE-MOON related stuff this year with the new UBW adaptation, but it seems SAOII's English release will be the main focus (among industry attendees that is, I'm sure there'll still be plenty of Fate-related fan stuff and cosplayers). The general con schedule and special guests list hasn't been finalized yet though, so we'll see (video game corner will probably be running some Under Night In-Birth at least).

~Keripo
    Last edited by Keripo; February 20th, 2015 at 04:07 PM.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm going as just a con-goer. Wanted to cosplay but I have neither the skills nor the ideas to actually make one.
    JP Support

Spoiler:

US Support
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Agh, I want to go. ;_;

- - - Updated - - -

Agh, I want to go. ;_; One day in my life I will attend a Type-MOON panel...
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    What do people do in a panel. Is it like IC-cosplaying thing. Or do people actually give presentations about lore stuff.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    When I did mine it was just a 50 minute infodump. I talked about the history of Type Moon, from college kids doing shitty doujin novels at Comiket to a commercial supersuccess. Discussed in basic terms the various main franchises and the core elements of main characters, story and themes for each main work, spoiler-free of course. Talked about the adaptations, showed some video clips of the various anime, talked about how the universe has a lot of interconnectivity and is a substantially deep universe for those who wanted to delve.

Jazzed it up with jokes and running commentary, answered questions, that sort of stuff, tried to make it engaging and interesting enough that people would actually try it out.

Basically just a way to introduce the daunting entirety of the TM world to secondaries and tertiaries. Not a large enough con to have done an in-depth panel, wouldn't have gotten enough people who'd already read even one of the TM works.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    What do people do in a panel. Is it like IC-cosplaying thing. Or do people actually give presentations about lore stuff.
    It depends on the panel. There are Q&A panels for guests, industry panels for announcements and such, and then fan panels which can be really stupid or really interesting depending on what they are. I mean, you have some that are cosplayers that act in-character and do stuff, which can be amusing or stupid depending--my complaint about Ask Hetalia characters sort of stuff is like this--while some can be informational and some can be games-y and what have you. The Japanese culture writeup thing that I do is somewhat based on an informational panel my uni's club has done for other schools and stuff.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    I used to do a panel about buyfagging as well, and my friend does a great panel on moe. Plus him and my other friend did a totally awesome animation and sakuga panel that I keep telling them they need to do again sometime.

Blog Entries
    Type-Moon panels will never be probably a thing here given Type-Moon is too niche fandom in my country.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    When I did mine it was just a 50 minute infodump. I talked about the history of Type Moon, from college kids doing shitty doujin novels at Comiket to a commercial supersuccess. Discussed in basic terms the various main franchises and the core elements of main characters, story and themes for each main work, spoiler-free of course. Talked about the adaptations, showed some video clips of the various anime, talked about how the universe has a lot of interconnectivity and is a substantially deep universe for those who wanted to delve.

Jazzed it up with jokes and running commentary, answered questions, that sort of stuff, tried to make it engaging and interesting enough that people would actually try it out.

Basically just a way to introduce the daunting entirety of the TM world to secondaries and tertiaries. Not a large enough con to have done an in-depth panel, wouldn't have gotten enough people who'd already read even one of the TM works.
    This was pretty much exactly what I am planning on doing (with my intended target audience being people who have only watched Fate/Zero or just started the Fate/stay night anime). Any chance you'd be willing to share some of your old material for reference purposes?

~Keripo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    We actually give presentations about Lore Stuff, the characters, story and themes.

Hell, the last Type-Moon panel that Roadbuster and I did was nothing but Type-Moon lore and some of the reoccurring story themes explored.

Also depends on the subject matter. Like a Type-Moon panel is going to be more Lore, Story and Character specific while like in a Berserk or Black Lagoon panel we'll also go into the things that inspired it too. (And when we did the Black Lagoon panel Roadbuster specifically had a section called "Guns Guns Guns" where he went into the guns used in Black Lagoon and where else they'd showed up in other forms of Pop Culture.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    My panel didn't get accepted, presumably to fit in more time for Ask Hetalia-type panels, and as the guest list so far is kinda lame I'm not sure I'll be attending.
    You should be happy to know that there are a lot of cons doing away with the "Ask a Character" type panels. They were banned this year at Ohayocon and there was another anime con that was fairly large who's name I cannot remember because its too damned early who did the same as well.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Man this talk sure makesme want to do a panelmyself, simply to spread the word since i know only two guys within my irl friends that are also into Type Moon, Precure, Kamen Rider and Nanoha. I wanna make more people know it over here, but how do you get to make a panel at a con, really, aside from selling merchandise or beeing a youtube star i have no idea hwhere to even start...

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Huh, never thought of doing a panel. Maybe I should try one for Otakon.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Huh, never thought of doing a panel. Maybe I should try one for Otakon.
    Would you come dressed as Kotomine?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Oh hey apparently I was like first on the waiting list, so my panel is accepted if I can deal with a Sunday morning time. urgggggggg

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Would you come dressed as Kotomine?
    mAc should be the Lu Bu to Raffle's Rani.

Don't you think I forgot Raffle. You promised.