Thread: The Sphere (translation from russian)

Just von Weitl, zu Ihren Diensten Just The Marionettenspieler's Avatar

The Sphere (translation from russian)

Hello.

Well, sometimes I just can’t make a good introduction, and now will try to be short. Last year I wrote a few stories, Nasuverse fanfiction. Sometimes I fight with boredom through writing some fanfics, just to…I don’t know, just to not lose skill, perhaps (I do that when I am not writing original stories). One of my readers started to translate them to English (from Russian), and now we have decided to post them here. Here you can find translation of the 1-3 (of 12) chapters of “The Sphere” - first story of my “Under the Eight Sacrament” trilogy, and I am writing “Blizzard” - the second story of three.

Here the link to the english version:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11145255/1/The-Sphere

And the small FAQ, synopsis and translators notes about the story:

1. WTF is this?

A translation of "the Sphere" – a Nasuverse fanfiction.

2. What's the original language?
    Russian. 3 chapters out of 12 are complete, #4 is in TC (on 29. 03. 2015). The time it takes to translate one chapter is roughly 3-5 days, but since we're running on sheer enthusiasm and an occasional pinch of cocaine, you can expect an update every two months or so.

3. What's this all about?
    The one initiated in the Eighth Sacrament shall be absolved no matter how dire his sins are. Any bloodshed, committed in the name of God is forgiven. But of course there is a price for everything. Father Katt Ascol, who was an old executor of the Holy Church, whose way in life was determined the moment he was born. He was to serve the House of Slaughter. Surely, he didn't expect to live out his days in piece, ever since his forced retirement. But among all the people, whose lives were broken by his hand, he never expected that particular person to come back and steal his peace…

4. What we DON'T have:
    No Holy Grail Wars and anything related to them, since we believe HGW is a bloody reality-show for wealthy snobs, wide-eyed idealists, and those crippled by intense mental strain on the fields of internet flamewars. Leave it be. Seriously. Sarcasm mode off.
    No detailed explanations about who are "Dead Apostles", how "magic circuits" work, importance of family in the magic business and why everyone is so worked up about getting that "magic crest" and who the hell is "the Serpent of Akasha". All of this you can find on Type-Moon Wiki, in the official VN's and light novels.
    And last, but not least, we have absolutely NO heroes and generally likable people, who are bound to save the world and get a girl. You'll hate everyone.

5. What we have:
    Pain, suffering and lots of innocent blood. Scumbag mages and fanatical Church agents. Demon hybrids and Apostles, for those, who want even more. Everyone here tries to survive to see another day and solve their miserable problems in their own, dirty… I mean different ways.

6. Are there any characters from the Nasuverse canon?
    Aozaki Touko, Ciel and Narbareck make their guest appearances in this novel. There are others, but we won't spoil it any further.

7. When is it all happening?

8. Is there a sequel?
    The second part of the intended trilogy of Father Ascol's misadventures is the prequel and goes by the name "Blizzard". As of yet none dares to begin it's translation, and besides, there are only 4 chapters and an interlude done as of this moment.

9. What is "The House of Slaughter"?
    TM-wiki, being what it is, didn't bother to translate the Japanese "Shura" which is exactly "Slaughter". And so they left the executor agency under that name.

Hereth be the translator's notes on the names and aliases of certain characters, especially those who gave us a major headache when translating from Russian.

The first one would be Albert – the Hollow – Blach.
    So why "the Hollow"? The backstory on Albert tells how a promising child in a powerful mage family one day lost all his powers in an attempt to use way more power than he was capable of. Hence, we considered the following names: Burnout, Dummy, Empty, Hollow and Husk. The last one was also a part of a wordplay in Russian, and therefore stuck with us for a long time. Nevertheless, after a careful deliberation and a few broken bones we settled on the name "Hollow".
    The second one is Renier – the Shard.
    Some say his name in Russian has nothing to do with any "shards".
    Others tell that a touch of poetic wordplay is vital when dealing with character names.
    Suffice it to say that his unique abilities, peculiar backstory and, of course, his personality all left me with a single word for him to go under and it was "Shard".

If someone will be interested in this stories, I'll be happy. If not - well, this attempt did not cost me anything. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
    Es gibt zwei Arten von Menschen auf der Welt, mein Freund. Diejenigen, die Prothesen mit Sprengstoff verkaufen, und diejenigen, die verlieren. Sie verlieren.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Enjoying what I've read so far. Though I do have a question: why haven't the ---- been changed to ""? Would make it easier for English readers to know when speaking is occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Though I do have a question: why haven't the ---- been changed to ""? Would make it easier for English readers to know when speaking is occurring.
    Yes, we have already heard about that mistake.
    If that makes the story too difficult to read, I will ask the translator to correct this in the following chapters.
    Es gibt zwei Arten von Menschen auf der Welt, mein Freund. Diejenigen, die Prothesen mit Sprengstoff verkaufen, und diejenigen, die verlieren. Sie verlieren.

We live…again! No, seriously. I am glad to inform that the new translator got down to business, revised the chapters already translated and finished one more. The page has been updated: a table of contents and links to the original texts are posted.
    Oh yes...the direct speech in the texts is now framed as it should.
    So it goes.

US Friend Code
    ask me for code
    Blog Entries
    Instead of link, why not just post the whole story here?
    Kentucky Fried Kirei, nah i'm joking. Nothin here

well, told ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    'kay
    You jest?:3

Even ▆▆ end up on that place again

The special hell on hill full of swords ---------------------------------------------------------The hill of bloody battlefield

Quote Originally Posted by Vacha View Post
    Instead of link, why not just post the whole story here?
    There are several reasons. First of all, the translation started in 2015, but then our erstwhile translator jumped ship and the project ended up in limbo. Secondly, I had no idea there were people who posted their stories here. Thirdly, I didn't think think this would be a good idea anyway, taking into consideration both the story's length and lack of a complete translation. Also, just tweaking text a bit and posting it to ff.net was preferable to editing every chapter in order to post it on here. Besides, I like it more when everything is in one place and neatly ordered, indexed, has links to the original texts and all that jazz.

The seventh chapter is added.

The eighth chapter is added.