Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: On reducing vitriol

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMegas View Post
    I'm literally fine as long as I can use chuuni as it's been used in the past.

I can avoid name calling users pretty easily
    I don't see what's wrong with using the word meant to describe people with delusions of their own grandeur and abilities for its intended purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    This is what I really care about nanodesupoi. I just want the freedom to call random fictional characters retarded/autistic nanodesupoi.
    When you can come up with a reason why autistic fits over obsessive and there is absolutely no other way to describe that behavior but "autistic," I will be more open to consider it.

Until then, autistic is probably one of the terms that really should go, because there are people around here who are taking offense to it, and because (as far as I can tell) there's other words that get the same meaning across just fine. Intentional or not, directed to them or not, offense is offense.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

tears nanodesupoi

tears nanodesupoi
    It's ok Pai, you can just substitute nanodesupoi for whatever controversial words you'd like to say.
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    When you can come up with a reason why autistic fits over obsessive and there is absolutely no other way to describe that behavior but "autistic," I will be more open to consider it.

Until then, autistic is probably one of the terms that really should go, because there are people around here who are taking offense to it, and because (as far as I can tell) there's other words that get the same meaning across just fine. Intentional or not, directed to them or not, offense is offense.
    I mean, did you even watch Aldnoah?

The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    Even though some people will take offense to retarded, too many people use it, so I think it's over the general cusp. Not only that, but it's a fictional character (right? I think it is...) so nobody's actually being harmed here. Someone saying "I'm offended you use that word because I know someone who's like that!" over using it in that way has a thin skin.

But I'm still waiting for a justification of why "autistic" is the only word that can be used to describe a certain class of behavior when "obsessive" is practically (if not totally) synonymous with it.

I could argue the same for autism being over that general cusp. I don't see why autistic is a no-no but retarded gets to stay. There are many other words that it can be replaced with like "stupid." It seems pretty biased to allow retarded to slide.

Blog Entries
    And as a caretaker to a family member with severe intellectual disabilities I'm a little offended that Autism gets banned for being offensive while retarded is "just part of the language".

Or I suppose you can just say controversial words in pig-latin or Japanese

I've yet to find a runer who would care here anyway
    Last edited by Megas; April 8th, 2015 at 06:23 PM.
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TheMegas View Post
    It's ok Pai, you can just substitute nanodesupoi for whatever controversial words you'd like to say.
    At least I can still call myself autistic and rename my translation group to You are Autistic Scans nanodesupoi.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

People will take offense to anything. Like it or not, autistic has a meaning outside the scientific one, mostly thanks to the very chan culture you guys are trying to stamp out. It's slang, just like x-fag and jewtube.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    People will take offense to anything. Like it or not, autistic has a meaning outside the scientific one, mostly thanks to the very chan culture you guys are trying to stamp out. It's slang, just like x-fag and jewtube.
    Gonna be honest though I've never actually heard this before a few days ago
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    At least I can still call myself autistic and rename my translation group to You are Autistic Scans nanodesupoi.
    You didn't even start your translation group.

Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    You didn't even start your translation group.
    Wow, I actually forgot some random anon from /a/ made it in my name nanodesupoi.

Blog Entries
    Jewtube is some like 2006 shit that didn't even last the full year or something man I haven't heard that shit since runescape was the hot thing everyone played because they couldn't shell out the $15 for WoW.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    I've only ever seen it on 4chan, mostly in threads complaining about various crappy policies YT implements.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are we banning Jap for the two whole Japanese people that think we're using it pejoratively?
    that actually is pretty bad tho
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    When I first saw it I just thought the guy was misspelling YouTube....

I still think it's pretty funny that all but one of the posts that say jewtube in them on here are just discussing the word itself and only that one kotelo guy actually used it to insult youtube nanodesupoi.