Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: On reducing vitriol

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Flaming is what we're trying to curb here. We're looking at posts on a case-by-case basis. A bunch of mates referring to themselves as autistic dumbfucks is no trouble, but if interactions between ShonenHero42 and Devil_Boner always lead to disruptive discussions that end in intelligences insulted and one's mother being dishonored, then word choices in certain contexts act as buzzwords that we need to step in.
    If it's a case by case basis then this is a wholly unnecessary rule. Exercising one's judgment on what is flaming shouldn't hinge on what buzzwords are used. So if this isn't a general ban on certain terminology but rather a reaffirmation of the age-old rule "don't be a dick", then what exactly is the point of focusing on certain context-sensitive words in the first place?

I mean really, do you need to see someone being called a retard to intervene or what.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Guys, it's very simple. Don't be a dick to other people. Try not to casually throw around words that'll piss people off. We can tell when things are joking around and when things aren't a joke, because usually the stuff that's not a joke gets reported by somebody.

If you can do that, great, then you don't need to worry about a thing.

We're not the morality police, we're not going to ban swearing or demand everyone be perfectly politically correct, but some of it is getting ridiculous and we feel it needs to be curbed.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I think nobody is arguing against "no flaming" being an enforced rule.

except cruor
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    We can tell when things are joking around and when things aren't a joke, because usually the stuff that's not a joke gets reported by somebody.
    And that's where it gets silly because people with easily hurt butts like Lyco and Rai go around and report every post with the word "autism" or anything like it because they feel a need to completely criminalize a word based on what I presume is personal self-righteousness.

So yeah like please also do something about people overusing/misusing reports because the effect on two or three people should not have to be handheld and their sensitivities accommodated for in a group of a couple of hundred people, most of which probably don't actively interact with them.

- - - Updated - - -

long sentences
    Last edited by Christemo; April 8th, 2015 at 03:09 AM.

lesbian witch from hell kay4today's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    personally the thing bothering me the most is that i suspect half the people on here who fling 'autist' around dont know what autism actually is. either that or they use the word much like certain teenagers in 2008 used the words RAWR or SPORK

Blog Entries
    i actually use autism for a very small set of behavioral patterns and not as a general insult, usually associated with nerd subculture obsessing over minutiae and ignoring thematic/emotional content or context

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    And that's where it gets silly because people with easily hurt butts like Lyco and Rai go around and report every post with the word "autism" or anything like it because they feel a need to completely criminalize a word based on what I presume is personal self-righteousness.

So yeah like please also do something about people overusing/misusing reports because the effect on two or three people should not have to be handheld and their sensitivities accommodated for in a group of a couple of hundred people, most of which probably don't actively interact with them.
    On the flip side of that, is there an actual need to call something autistic, or is there other words that get the idea across that aren't likely to piss people off?

Yes, they shouldn't be smashing the report button every time it's used, but on the flip side, I can't think of very many sentences in which there is no other word to use that can't convey the same idea in a way that's not likely to piss people off.

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    i actually use autism for a very small set of behavioral patterns and not as a general insult, usually associated with nerd subculture obsessing over minutiae and ignoring thematic/emotional content or context
    "Fanboys."
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

Blog Entries
    "Fanboys."
    boys but not girls? i cant believe our very own admin is a misandrist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kay4today View Post
    boys but not girls? i cant believe our very own admin is a misandrist
    "Fangirls" works too.

Old Quote Crap!

Blog Entries
    "Fanboys."
    No. The connotation is smaller and more specific. It's a "you know it when you see it" kind of thing.

That said I don't think I ever leveled it at a user as an insult. More like fanbases and a CERTAIN OTHER BOARD.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    nvm i misread your posts

So basically this new rule is "dont do the thing you werent supposed to be doing since day 1"

thank you mods
    bruh
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    This isn't so much an ironclad rule, as it is a public call for awareness.
    basically the idea was just to remind people about these things since we are more active about enforcing them now, and to appeal to your sense of maturity and/or conscience so it doesnt have to be always enforced at the crack of a whip
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    On the flip side of that, is there an actual need to call something autistic, or is there other words that get the idea across that aren't likely to piss people off?
    Is there an actual need? No actually probably not, but I like variety in my joke-insults and I think everyone else does too. Is there an actual need to censor it or cut down on it? Not really, because as just said, there's at least 5 words that can convey the exact same thing.

If I find some obscure term that basically conveys the exact same thing as autist or retard and use that willy nilly instead, the staff will just urban dictionary that and go "nuh uh uh, that's not allowed" either, repeat until friends are no longer allowed to call each other any word related to mental illness.

So yeah, no, there's no actual need to use it, but there's no actual need to censor it either because a handful of people goes "THAT HURTS MY SENSIBILITIES DESPITE BEING IN A CONVERSATION THAT HAS ZERO RELEVANCE TO ME".

Blog Entries
    people sure get offended by what other people get offended by

Is there an actual need? No actually probably not, but I like variety in my joke-insults and I think everyone else does too. Is there an actual need to censor it or cut down on it? Not really, because as just said, there's at least 5 words that can convey the exact same thing.

If I find some obscure term that basically conveys the exact same thing as autist or retard and use that willy nilly instead, the staff will just urban dictionary that and go "nuh uh uh, that's not allowed" either, repeat until friends are no longer allowed to call each other any word related to mental illness.

So yeah, no, there's no actual need to use it, but there's no actual need to censor it either because a handful of people goes "THAT HURTS MY SENSIBILITIES DESPITE BEING IN A CONVERSATION THAT HAS ZERO RELEVANCE TO ME".
    Welcome to an hour ago.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kay4today View Post
    people sure get offended by what other people get offended by
    Offended is not the right word but yes I get annoyed when people tell me what i'm allowed and not allowed to say.

Thankfully IRUN and Mac have cleaned up the misunderstanding but I'm still not particularly pleased about this. Literally half the fun of BL is the utter vitriol it contains.

Blog Entries
    Literally half the fun of BL is the utter vitriol it contains.
    and you wonder why youre on the last strike

Banned
    Blog Entries
    and you wonder why youre on the last strike
    I only have one sweet cheeks.

Blog Entries
    Literally half the fun of BL is the utter vitriol it contains.
    i thought it was the warm thoughtful moments the users share with each other

Blog Entries

Your sense of humor doesn't apply to everyone. You do realize this, yes?

Old Quote Crap!