Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: On reducing vitriol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    people using something I actually have as an joke
    Sorry, but I can understand disliking when it is made into an insult. But jokes hinge on touching an uncomfortable topic, making generalizations or making fun of someone, very often of the person who is making the joke even. Without that, jokes really aren't even jokes.

And nobody really should be treated specially to be shielded from something like that. Honestly I'd feel more insulted that somebody feels I can't "take it", that I have to be shielded than a joke itself.
    Last edited by Nihilm; April 8th, 2015 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Gordon Ramsay's thing is kind of being over the line already...

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Those were not shitposts, and it would be very appreciated if you didn't do that.
    They already got deleted. RIP posts. Thread, cleaned.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post
    simon cowell am I being fucked with, the guy who's entire gimmick was to be the guy on the show who didn't like anything
    Indeed, but admit it: It made popular without generating controversies about the kind of words he used. Hell, I never heard any news about him being accused of being politically incorrect. I mean, he used "faggot", "retard" or "nigger" yet?

And what's interesting about this is that Natalia Kills and Willy Moon of X Factor New Zealand got kicked out of the show after trying to seemingly emulate Cowell's style on one contestant, because they took the style but not the substance. So, is Cowell that so bad?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say the contestants are in on the fact that the main reason Ramsay is Ramsay is to entertain the audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Not even a matter of "get thicker skin". You, and everyone else doing so, can shut the fuck up about whether or not I'm offended by people using something I actually have as an joke or insult. It isn't a joke and should never be treated as such.
    I hope you're ready to stand by that opinion then, because the thought of people being sexually attracted to animals offends me on a deeply personal level, and I can in no way stand it being used in a joking manner.

They already got deleted. RIP posts. Thread, cleaned.
    Cool stuff, moderator-kun. Why don't you go trim the UBW thread while you're at it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Mouse View Post
    Indeed, but admit it: It made popular without generating controversies about the kind of words he used. Hell, I never heard any news about him being accused of being politically incorrect. I mean, he used "faggot", "retard" or "nigger" yet?

And what's interesting about this is that Natalia Kills and Willy Moon of X Factor New Zealand got kicked out of the show after trying to seemingly emulate Cowell's style on one contestant, because they took the style but not the substance. So, is Cowell that so bad?
    And in the space of a single post you've gone from analogy to defending American Idol hosts.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'm speaking in my experience as a watcher of MasterChef US and Kitchen Nightmares UK, and I saw that he, at least, is trying to help and do give proper praise to something good. And sometimes being softly disappointed when a contestant is not good enough but has a potential to be good.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Cool stuff, moderator-kun. Why don't you go trim the UBW thread while you're at it.
    That was the plan.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I'm happy to see that now edge-words don't make you angry anymore !

Is chuuni still a no-go area?
    Edge-words don't made me angry because if they did, I wouldn't be able to stand the stuff I read at ED. Or John Solomon. Or even gore.

They only offend me if, for one, someone using it to try hard being edgy and, two, if they're incorrectly used. The latter is because it reduces and devalues the word into a meaningless buzzword. So no, "chuuni" is still a no-go, because you people don't know how to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post
    And in the space of a single post you've gone from analogy to defending American Idol hosts.
    Well, you were complaining about my analogy using an AI host to exemplify the "harsh but honest critic" because you thought it was incorrect, so I have to defend that analogy by the defending the person being compared to also. Not easy to miss, no?

Blog Entries
    How do you use chuuni, Ivan?

Blog Entries
    Probably for the same reason that I usually give up weeding the spam out of my Inbox after the first 2000 emails or so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    How do you use chuuni, Ivan?
    To be honest, I usually just use "chuunibyou" sparingly at best and rarely at least because the way it is defined, at least in the Internet, seems to not differentiate between those two are playing pretend so hard and those who are already psychiatric cases.

If I do, I only use it to describe themes in a work in which a normal teenager, usually a student, gets powers that are themed after gothic and Western occult references. In this case, the Persona games can be called "chuunibyou-esque".

Why? Tell me, if someone told you in real life that they have a spiritual familiar that is named from or is a demon from the Lesser Key of Solomon, won't you think that they're delusional or insane?

And I'm just tackling the "Evil Eye" type of chunnibyou here. There are two more.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad to see that you, at least, truly understand the meanings of words, context, intent and thematic originating from the chuuni-sphere.

i do find somewhat ironic-as-shit the donnie dark avatar but hey
    you got this so i'm not worried
    I fully enjoyed the movie Donnie Darko because of the main character, whose personality is perhaps more well-adjusted than what you would expect from someone suffering from some sort of unspecified mental illness. He's a happy guy, I like him.

That was the plan.
    Wanna hear an even better one?

Stop shitposting from happening in the first place, instead of censoring posts selectively hours later.

- - - Updated - - -

And, I don't know, actively participating in the irrelevant derails?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    This itself is a derail. So if you want to talk about it, wait until I get on Skype or VM me. But there's no reason you can't just do both; I'm not always there to see it, and there is a critical mass of shitposting that occurs before it becomes apparent. One single post is usually fine, but then you look back and suddenly it's five pages.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    Uh, not really?
    Or at all?
    It technically is.

This thread is neither about derails nor about shitposting.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    It technically is.

This thread is neither about derails nor about shitposting.
    No, it's not.

The thread is about curbing negative and detrimental language, which shitposts can qualify as. Since moderators are now deleting shitposts without prior warning, the discussion of such actions is wholly on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

am i being fucked with
    This except applied to everything going on right now nanodesupoi.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I usually just use "chuunibyou" sparingly at best and rarely at least because the way it is defined, at least in the Internet, seems to not differentiate between those two are playing pretend so hard and those who are already psychiatric cases.

If I do, I only use it to describe themes in a work in which a normal teenager, usually a student, gets powers that are themed after gothic and Western occult references. In this case, the Persona games can be called "chuunibyou-esque".

Why? Tell me, if someone told you in real life that they have a spiritual familiar that is named from or is a demon from the Lesser Key of Solomon, won't you think that they're delusional or insane?

And I'm just tackling the "Evil Eye" type of chunnibyou here. There are two more.

- - - Updated - - -

I fully enjoyed the movie Donnie Darko because of the main character, whose personality is perhaps more well-adjusted than what you would expect from someone suffering from some sort of unspecified mental illness. He's a happy guy, I like him.
    Chu2 is pretty much counted as its own genre at this point. Advertisements even joke about it when they are promoting.

Just because you don't like everyone describing things as chuuni doesn't mean it needs to be stopped. I mean after that show came out everyone was calling things chuuni and ts slowly died except for when they are actually applicable. Its just kids learning a new word and want to use it.

This itself is a derail. So if you want to talk about it, wait until I get on Skype or VM me. But there's no reason you can't just do both; I'm not always there to see it, and there is a critical mass of shitposting that occurs before it becomes apparent. One single post is usually fine, but then you look back and suddenly it's five pages.
    No its not. We are arguing how the rules are going to be actually implemented which is a serious issue to dodge this is to just handwave everything later on which would cause more bullshit. When the new mods were made we had a fucking 50 page discussion on the exact abilities of the new mods (though we ater found out the rules changed without any input or notice which caused another argument).
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Chu2 is pretty much counted as its own genre at this point. Advertisements even joke about it when they are promoting.

Just because you don't like everyone describing things as chuuni doesn't mean it needs to be stopped. I mean after that show came out everyone was calling things chuuni and ts slowly died except for when they are actually applicable. Its just kids learning a new word and want to use it.
    I want it to stop because people don't even know what the word means, I'm telling you. And I never like the word in the first place because it had unfortunate and unforeseen implications.

Just like what happened to the word "autism" or "autistic". Minecraft blew in popularity, some troll tripcoder in 4chan accused everyone liking the game of being autistic (which simply means highly obsessive, but that tripcoder used that word to give a more emotional impact), Minecraft and "autism" went hand-in-hand and soon, the whole Internet used the word "autism" to describe highly obsessive and monomaniac devotion to something, without any regards to the original medical meaning.

Blog Entries
    I want it to stop because people don't even know what the word means, I'm telling you. And I never like the word in the first place because it had unfortunate and unforeseen implications.
    Are you talking about the
    chuunibyou
    中二病
    or
    chuunibyou
    厨二病
    variety of chuuni. This is very important.