Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: On reducing vitriol

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    No.
    What, ever heard of Manly Tears, the tripcoder on /v/ who trolled Minecraft threads and acts like an Internet Alpha Male? He started it.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    What, the discussion of the true meaning of chuuni?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Mouse View Post
    So is it okay for people to also define "Filipina" as "a domestic worker or maid", then? Because context matters, right?
    In theory yes, if you don't mean it in a derogatory way, the problem is that if your doing that, you are probably not doing it in a non-derogatory way. If you call something chuuni you aren't doing it to make fun of people with schizophrenia.

So yeah implicitly context matters, that includes the intent, ofc your example is very easy to misconstrue due to other connotations, so it wouldn't be a very smart thing to do if you aim not to offend.
    Last edited by Nihilm; April 8th, 2015 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    What, the discussion of the true meaning of chuuni?
    What discussion? It's just multiple people explaining to one person who thinks he knows what he doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

And a few making jokes around it.

Blog Entries
    What, ever heard of Manly Tears, the tripcoder on /v/ who trolled Minecraft threads and acts like an Internet Alpha Male? He started it.
    You know mods if you wanted to get rid of 4chan posting I'd throw out being quite literal and disallowing posting about 4chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiu View Post
    What discussion? It's just multiple people explaining to one person who thinks he knows what he doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

And a few making jokes around it.
    For the record, it's not "me not knowing it", it's you people justifying that it's okay to keep using words that have unfortunate implications, even when as a joke.

Blog Entries
    For the record, it's not "me not knowing it", it's you people justifying that it's okay to keep using words that have unfortunate implications, even when as a joke.
    It's especially fine to use any words when as a joke.
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    It's you making up unfortunate implications where no one else seems to think it exists.

Especially not in the contexts it's used in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post
    You know mods if you wanted to get rid of 4chan posting I'd throw out being quite literal and disallowing posting about 4chan.
    That's like saying we can't discuss news about the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, to curb support for the said group.

Blog Entries
    Also did you really watch like chu-2 and came to the conclusion that it was a story about making fun of people with scizophrenia?

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    It's you making up unfortunate implications where no one else seems to think it exists.

That's the point. Nobody sees it because nobody thinks that far and nobody cares. Well, I can call a defect in something as the archaic idiom "nigger in the woodpile" and not care about the racist connotations of it, then say that people are just making up unfortunate implications when they point out how racist that idiom is.

Well, guess why nobody uses that idiom anymore.

Blog Entries
    Bottom line on my end: I have reported posts where autism is used as an insult/joke.
    Perhaps people don't know, but autism spectrum entails a certain level of socio-communicative inability. An inability that must be balanced with coping mechanisms - which are difficult to apply when having no facial cues or tone of voice to try and discern.
    Jokes and insults, in text form, can appear to be one and the same.
    Rather than responding caustically, like I could have done, I instead deferred to the judgments of the mod and admin team by reporting these cases to them.
    Last edited by Lycodrake; April 8th, 2015 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

He isn't talking about Chuuni here. He's talking about autism.

Autism: 4chan slang
    Retard: American (and Australian/Canadian/internet) slang
    Chuuni: a term for a genre
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    Also did you really watch like chu-2 and came to the conclusion that it was a story about making fun of people with scizophrenia?
    I never watched the show; I don't care for it; and I am operating independently from whatever theme that show presents as.

To simply put, I've read the definition, saw the use of it online, and thought how it actually sounds like. Chuunibyou's defintion sounded like a term for people who pretend something they are not, and it sunk on me how play-pretending self-deception and suffering from delusional disorder are almost indistinguishable from one another, without any context behind them.

Ever onwards. To stand still is to die. Rai Burnout's Avatar
    Bottom line on my end: I have reported posts where autism is used as an insult/joke.
    Perhaps people don't know, but autism spectrum entails a certain level of socio-communicative inability. An inability that must be balanced with coping mechanisms - which are difficult to apply when having no facial cues or tone of voice to try and discern.
    Jokes and insults, in text form, can appear to be one and the same. Rather than responding caustically, like I could have done, I instead deferred to the judgments of the mod and admin team by reporting these cases to them.
    Agreed, Autism is essentially the foil to psychopathy. An autistic doesn't recognize another person's feelings while a psychopath doesn't care. The end result is similar despite different causes. Sarcasm is also hard to recognize though many can understand the principle behind it they cannot see when it is being used. I don't want people banned, I just want it stopped and for the forum to stop implicitly condoning it. The mods have made progress on the second part.
    Last edited by Rai Burnout; April 8th, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
    People will make mistakes, its a fact of life. But if you don't try for fear of failing then you're making the biggest one of all.

So Live your life, you only get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    It couldn't have been more damsel in distress if when Ilya met them in the hall she had been dressed like Bowser.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai Burnout View Post
    Agreed, Autism is essentially the foil to psychopathy. An autistic doesn't recognize another person's feelings while a psychopath doesn't care. The end result is similar despite different causes. Sarcasm is also hard to recognize though many can understand the principle behind it they cannot see when it is being used. I don't want people banned, I just want it stopped and for the forum to stop implicitly condoning it. The mods have made progress on the second part.
    I'm a bit uncomfortable with this comparison.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure psychopathy or foil are appropriate or accurate.
    Rather than how Rai worded it, it's more that empathy is difficult for both people with autism spectrum and people with sociopathy.
    Last edited by Lycodrake; April 8th, 2015 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    *Sigh* you silly people. Just don't be dicks and everything will be fine, if you're that afraid that a joke will get misconstrued as an insult then reported so you'll get banned then leave. No one is keeping you here and there's plenty of ways that are used to communicate with whatever friends you got on BL, from old-school IRC to videochatting on Skype.

And to you sanctimonius wussies that can't help but yell foul when "X word shouldn't be a joke" will you chill? the whole point of humor is to undermine seriousness, it is literally a social coping mechanism that we have come up with in order to deal with the dramas and pains of our lives, every single joke is offensive to someone out there, why in all the nine circles of hell does your "offended" get to be more special than someone elses that just shrugs and goes back to their lives?

And Ivan, let it go man, you will never win you are literally trying to fight the evolution of language here. For example the word gay in the 1950s was a synonym of happy, and you could switch back and forth. Now? it's used to denote a certain kind of man who finds other men sexually appealing as a mater of sexual preference, words change with time, both meaning and spelling (Otherwise we would still be spelling "Thine") sometimes it'll change in ways that are harmless, other times people will change some word to grave insult and others an insult will be reclaimed as a label of pride, get used to it.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

Ever onwards. To stand still is to die. Rai Burnout's Avatar
    I'm not sure psychopathy or foil are appropriate or accurate.
    Rather than how Rai worded it, it's more that empathy is difficult for both people with autism spectrum and people with sociopathy.
    Yeah, I fucked up my meaning. What I meant was that if someone with Autism hurt someone else's feelings they likely wouldn't be able to recognize that they did but if it was explained to them they would feel contrite. Empathy is there but they have time hard reading body language and social cues. A sociopath wouldn't care if you told them or not. Lack of empathy. Period.

In essence, just like how I said one thing but meant another.
    Last edited by Rai Burnout; April 8th, 2015 at 03:48 PM.
    People will make mistakes, its a fact of life. But if you don't try for fear of failing then you're making the biggest one of all.

So Live your life, you only get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    It couldn't have been more damsel in distress if when Ilya met them in the hall she had been dressed like Bowser.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven2785 View Post
    And Ivan, let it go man, you will never win you are literally trying to fight the evolution of language here. For example the word gay in the 1950s was a synonym of happy, and you could switch back and forth. Now? it's used to denote a certain kind of man who finds other men sexually appealing as a mater of sexual preference, words change with time, both meaning and spelling (Otherwise we would still be spelling "Thine") sometimes it'll change in ways that are harmless, other times people will change some word to grave insult and others an insult will be reclaimed as a label of pride, get used to it.
    I have no qualms about the evolution of language in general. The problem is when people reduce a word into a buzzword simply to use it as a term of derision, but still related to the old definition behind it. This is my axe to grind with the word "chuunibyou": People are using it on things they deem as "edgy", which became an insult itself already.

And the funny thing about this is that people who are quick to label things as "edgy" are usually just trying too hard themselves. Goth things? That's edgy. Hipsterism? Edgy. Opposing opinion or view? Edgy. Have an unusual quirk? That's fucking edgy.

And what's worse is that the definition of "edgy" is "something that challenges people's view in a way that discomforts them." Using the word "edgy" as an insult implies that challenging the status quo is somewhat a bad thing, that people shouldn't question established truths, that new things shouldn't happen because it makes people uncomfortable.

And conflating "edgy" with "chuunibyou" also brings up another nasty unforeseen implication: People who try to have different opinions or tastes (definition of "edgy") are simply deceiving themselves and/or playing pretend hard (definition of "chuunibyou").

And yet, you lecture me about the evolution of language, of how it is not a bad thing. It isn't. But we have turned "edgy", a word that means challenging established truths and norms, as an insult and made it synonymous to "chuunibyou", a word which practically means self-deception.

Which is why I don't trust people with how they'll use these words.