Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: On reducing vitriol

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Vitriol is only useful as a forum's self-cleaning mechanism because it keeps a certain kind of user (the average anime forum user) out.

But you don't actually need flaming for that since something like the current GD atmosphere where "talk shit get hit (with runes)" happens and people telling you to quit being annoying and type sentences correctly already works.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    Your sense of humor doesn't apply to everyone. You do realize this, yes?
    Yes. I'd like you to raise that same question to the people who hit the report button like a mantra, though.

There's a very simple solution to being insulted by the words of people that were meant for others. It's called closing the tab, or alternatively, the ignore list.
    Last edited by Christemo; April 8th, 2015 at 03:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    Yes. I'd like you to raise that same question to the people who hit the report button like a mantra, though.

There's a very simple solution to being insulted by the words of people that were meant for others. It's called closing the tab, or alternatively, the ignore list.
    In times like these it is best that we look towards the thinkers and artists of our generation and reflect on their words.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    In times like these it is best that we look towards the thinkers and artists of our generation and reflect on their words.
    I wasn't gonna do it, so I'm glad you did.

Blog Entries
    i love OFWGKTA

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't gonna do it, so I'm glad you did.
    but
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kay4today View Post
    i thought it was the warm thoughtful moments the users share with each other

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Some people just don't want their "fun" to be ruined.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    I just want it on record that this post offends me more than any slur or derogatory remark.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    I just want it on record that this post offends me more than any slur or derogatory remark.
    This but ironically.

No but seriously.

Blog Entries
    this is the kind of non-flame vitriol a forum needs, you see

Banned
    Blog Entries
    When did the word "autism" get so widespread, anyways? It used to be pretty obscure not too long ago. Although since people dont actually know what it is

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We don't blindly follow reports if that is what you are getting at. If a member reports something and is being oversensitive, we take that into account before intervening. I for instance, usually have a private one on one with the reporter and ask why they reported what they did, because namely it's all "he said she said", and I want both sides. Many a misunderstanding has happened during rounds of "funnin' each other" because people don't know when to dial it back or refuse to see that they are kind of being a jerk and people are too prideful/shy to admit their feelings were hurt, so passive aggressive business ensues. That has happened more times than I care to remember over the....going on 6 years I have been modding here (good god, has it been that long).

Flatly, it's just us reminding people we are going to try being more aware of this, because it has caused problems and is linked to general behavior. So, instead of always falling back to "don't be offended, just close the tab if it makes you mad", take some time to think a little before saying something, shockingly enough, you might actually be wrong. So one of us coming in to ask for it to be dialed down isn't a thought police thing but just making people aware.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kay4today View Post
    personally the thing bothering me the most is that i suspect half the people on here who fling 'autist' around dont know what autism actually is. either that or they use the word much like certain teenagers in 2008 used the words RAWR or SPORK
    Who else here has actually owned a spork. Because they fucking suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I dont even know what a Spork is.
    Or Vitriol, for that matter.

Ever onwards. To stand still is to die. Rai Burnout's Avatar
    The thing that offended me was the use of Autism as a synonym for being retarded or as a slur with no knowledge of what it is even about. Talking about the disability itself isn't the problem. Pai had been warned the day prior so I wasn't putting up with it. The reason I was offended was because I myself am Autistic.

Also in the three or so years I've been here this is the first complaint I've filed.
    Last edited by Rai Burnout; April 8th, 2015 at 10:55 AM.
    People will make mistakes, its a fact of life. But if you don't try for fear of failing then you're making the biggest one of all.

So Live your life, you only get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    It couldn't have been more damsel in distress if when Ilya met them in the hall she had been dressed like Bowser.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    man, caring so much about a triviality
    so if it was banned you wouldn't care

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Burnout View Post
    The thing that offended me was the use of Autism as a synonym for being retarded or as a slur with no knowledge of what it is even about. Talking about the disability itself isn't the problem. Pai had been warned the day prior so I wasn't putting up with it. The reason I was offended was because I myself am Autistic.

Also in the three or so years I've been here this is the first complaint I've filed.
    I will make it your forum duty to get me banned nanodesupoi.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    God, this is so dumb. Half the thread that I've looked at it are the meme shitposting that should be stopped.

One of the biggest problems with the forum is the very low return rate of new users. Just off a glance out of the search function since 1/1/2014, out of 1300 users who joined, we have only had 22 users with over 400 posts. Since 1/1/2015 we have had 3 people with 200 posts out of 265 people who joined. While there will always be more people who join and posts once or not at all I still find it ridiculous that most of the people posting today are people from more than 2 years ago.

While you can't just say the two things are related, I do think how 'different' the attitudes of people from 4chan and someone from I dunno- animesuki or Crunchyroll, are very different. But even on those sites you still have people who at the very least are allowed to call things retarded (well, autism is different that one probably is an offense) simply because of how ingrained it is into slang in some countries/the internet.

While the atmosphere needs to be changed attacking slang is absurd.

Edit: actually just glancing but out of the three new users that joined one of them uses retarded as slang. Another one quoted without saying anything and the other guy spends most of his time in Crack Pairings and Create-a-Servant.
    Last edited by Cruor; April 8th, 2015 at 11:36 AM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Wow, those are disheartening stats.

I guess trial by flaming is no longer a valid validation tactic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3