Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Indomitable (IC)

Ceridwen Llewelynn

She could see it even from the window of the gradually descending airplane, as land that was previously indistinct patches of colours came slowly into detailed focus. At the end of their long journey from alpine heights to low plains across the breadth of Aquitania, the wide Adour flowed patiently on the man-hewn channel, while the cool Nive descended from the cold springs of the Pyrenees to bifurcate the residential district, crossed at points by arching pedestrian bridges. At the heart of the city the two rivers met, and the onrush carried their waters to the crescent of the Bay of Biscay to finally mingle in swirls of brackish water and silt. Around that propitious juncture a city had blossomed, a mix of modern French and traditional Basque aesthetics, with old fortifications and cathedrals dotting the banks of the two rivers.

One could almost feel the weight of tradition in the stone foundations of castles laid almost a thousand years ago. Truly, the south of France was a beautiful land.

Now if only the same could be said about its people.

If Emile Champollion had only thought to channel his grievances into sharp remarks, perhaps to alleviate his own frustration or faze the pair of women, then that would have been the end of it. Insults only wounded as deep as one allowed them to cut; in the case of Ceridwen, with her long years in the Clock Tower, the words of a boy that hardly seemed much older than herself didn't so much as dent her composure. She could hardly imagine Miss Lockhart, the consummate academic, caring one bit for a Second Owner's tantrum either.

But it hadn't ended there. Whatever the man's purpose was, it appeared that he was entirely serious in his desire to refuse cooperation with the Association's detachment; in fact, his openly hostile expression even openly implied that he had no intention of performing his duties of assistance should the Enforcers stay.

Ceridwen took in his features with a neutral expression, her eyes following the arcs of the twirling plastic card in his fingers for a moment. Perhaps he had noticed her scrutiny, as his scowl seemed to dip just a tad deeper than before.

It seemed that this Second Owner thought the issue of the murders fell solely to him to address, out of some belief that his abilities alone would suffice to subdue Perdition, or that the matters of Bayonne were under his own jurisdiction. For the Association to send the Enforcers in, that must have meant to him that the Clock Tower placed no confidence in the land's owner to deal with the danger alone; or that must have been the thought of the prideful magus, who saw his territory encroached upon by a murderer, and then found himself barred from acting against him.

A prideful and foolish magus, then. As if the ego of one man would hold any importance when measured against the gravest danger against the moonlit world, the disruption of the delicate secrecy that kept the entire system of thaumaturgy in balance. Thinking his self-satisfaction more important that safeguarding the veil that keeps the two world apart at any cost, this boy would have the two of them disobey their orders and leaving their mission to him - and for what?

This one thinks so highly of himself that he would try to buy off Enforcers as if they were mercenaries...!

It made Ceridwen want to forget composure and just laugh in his face, but that would hardly be proper decorum for an Enforcer, even more so on her first assignment. To begin with, there was no need to answer derision with mockery, not when she carried behind her - and was carrying out - the authority and will of the Association. To properly enforce these values, one had to take hold of the situation from the beginning and set the record straight.

"...if you have any complaints, Mr. Champollion, then be sure to submit them through formal procedures to the 14th Department directly. Regardless of that, the Association is expecting your full cooperation on this case as dictated by the duties associated with the title of Second Owner of Bayonne that has been granted to your family. We look forward to your assistance so that this matter can be resolved as quickly as possible."

In the small polite smile that capped off this proclamation, lay the simple, unspoken meaning.

The Association owns you too.

Annabelle Lockhart

Powered flight- an unpleasant experience for Annabelle, from beginning to end.

At first she had felt anxiety at the thought of being suspended in such a flimsy metal vessel (and at such height, too!), but such concerns soon proved baseless, given the smooth trip that it had offered them. If it had broken, it would have almost certainly spelled the end for them- but it gave no such indication that anything of the sort would happen. Even turbulent weather patterns posed no challenge to the machine.

Instead, she was simply left with a sense of discontentment. Flight was, after all, a subject of great wonder to many cultures past. The ability to soar freely through the heavens, regarded by some folklore as the domain of the heavens… it was a phenomenon that modern magecraft struggled to reproduce, its usage requiring unwieldy tools.

And yet, it had been recreated by mundane means far removed from any need for magical energy, with capabilities far surpassing that of the magical methods. That it could move quantities of people across such distances at such low cost spoke in such comfort as much. Allegedly even the issue of desynchronosis had arisen from the speed at which it possessed, although it would not be of any import on their given trajectory. She could not help but feel as if the act of boarding this craft was an acknowledgement the magecraft had been completely outstripped, superseded, even defeated by the mundane, in a field that should have belonged to the magical.

It bothered her, but there was nothing that could be done. It was not her field.

The attitude of the Second Owner on the other hand, was something that could be easily dealt with. An overconfident individual, who evidently judged their abilities to be much better than the Clock Tower had. Not particularly rare in her profession- amusing in its repetition. That he thought so low of them in turn was a little grating, however. It would have been nice if it was possible to make him realize that he was over his head, but they had a job to do.

The frustrations of a single magus were of little import at the moment. Getting along would have been for the best, but playing around with his antics was not worth the trouble. It seemed Ceridwen had reached a similar conclusion in dealing with the man, although her response was much more appropriate than hers would have been. With silent approval, she settled for staring at the man, awaiting his reaction.
    Last edited by Satehi; June 10th, 2015 at 01:10 AM.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Michael Turner

So the first assignment strands me in Commiestan with the robot. Fuck. If it goes on like this that fucker better kill me, at least it's over then. The limo was nice, but limos are nice in Central Africa when you're digging for blood diamonds. That doesn't mean shit.

Same with the mansion. Second Owner, more like Second Sucker, seeing where they locked you in. What a fucking joke. Who would want these lands? You want to tell me this is the kind of shit you have to have ancient ancestors for but a California beach house and spiritual land make you a bum in your eyes? Really starting to believe the only reason they think our lands are inferior is pure jealousy.

At least she was hot.

“I see MacCailin doesn’t know how to treat a friend… A womanizer and a homunculus? Ah, regardless of where you two come from, I have a favor."
    "Womanizer is a weird word. You know the average association male, they wouldn't know how to talk to a woman if the way to her heart was the way to the root. I figure it makes them a bit jealous." I grab her hand and gallantly lead it to my lips.

Bitches love hand kisses.

"Mike. At your service."

"Query: Benefit?"
    "Yeah, what it said."
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    Lillian Thornberry

Lillian had been absolutely dejected at the thought of leaving the motorcycle behind, enough to wrangle permission through airport security and the train's staff and even the rental car they'd gotten to their destination. The whole ride, she'd been fingering her gas mask and talking, talking, talking to Rebecca. Her partner.

She'd never really had a partner before, because of her lifestyle, so she did what she did best besides killing and just chattered throughout their trip. Rebecca didn't seem to mind, so it had turned out for the best.

Pulling her motorcycle off of the car that had stopped in Guadarrama – Guadarrama. She'd been here before, or close to it. Hostel Abastos was a familiar name for her, although the Scotswoman couldn't quite pin a name to it; had she been hunting a rogue magus here? Stayed the night on the long way to Barcelona?

Either there was a gap in her memory, or; right, of course. Lillian had stopped here once before, but it had been brief – she had been tracking prey. In a rare display of bloodlust, the woman's smile was absolutely tainted as she stared at the hostel, before being swept away be something much nicer and looser as she got out of the car along with Rebecca.

Bryce was someone she had heard of, since she had heard of everyone in the business, but she had to regretfully (a real shame, given how he looked) refuse his invitation to help with the bags. Some of the bad blood she had carried with her blind fellow still carried over in her heart.

"A cannae ha' another lookin' after them."

Smiling apologetically, she pulled out her bags with a strength that contrasted the young woman she appeared to be. Rebecca introduce herself, and Lillian flushed pleasantly in mild embarrassment, offering her hand right after Rebecca's.

"A am Lillian Thornberry, at yer service, Mr. Nathaniels."
    Last edited by Mooncake; January 2nd, 2019 at 08:29 PM.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Ayumi Sakagami & Arjun Vidya

“No need to flatter me on my cooking, Mr. Vidya. It’s hardly anything amazing—you’re simply hungry and tired from your journey.” She averted her gaze, looking at the tablecloth for a moment, the slightest of frowns on the edge of her lips. She gave herself a light slap on the cheeks, forcing another smile. Similar, but she was somewhat embarrassed at having to forcibly improve her mood.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t be like this. Anyhow, I come from a standard five generation family specializing in water elemental magecraft. My parents… were in an accident, and that was how the status of Second Owner became delegated to me. Apologies if the mood became too dark, but I just want to say, that, like you, I’m still new to the position… But really, I shouldn’t be making any excuses.” She waved a carefree hand and offered another plate of pastries.

Rummaging through a purse, she placed down a simplistic-looking map of the town, simple streets and minor landmarks. A few spots were circled—a house in the residential district, a spot by the sea, on the beach, and a restaurant.

“I’ve done my own snooping around, you see, and I have a few places I would like to visit. The house was bought roughly six months ago with a large amount of money upfront, with rather… suspiciously, heavily clothed people in the middle of summer coming in and out. Same with the cabin by the seaside. The bar is allegedly a really popular place for a member of their… military company.”

Ah. In that matter, she was rather thorough. Rather surprising, considering how… nice she was. You expected something slightly airheaded.

“So… do you mind tagging along with me? I certainly can’t let you bear the brunt of the work for this investigation.”

Michael Turner & Seraphinia

"Womanizer is a weird word. You know the average association male, they wouldn't know how to talk to a woman if the way to her heart was the way to the root. I figure it makes them a bit jealous." I grab her hand and gallantly lead it to my lips.
    “You’re quite right, but…” Volkova gave a wry smile, locking eyes with Turner. “I’m afraid I’m at least twice your age, Mr. Turner. I doubt you can get much from buttering up an old woman like myself.”

She laughed, a clear, bright sound, somewhat contrasting with her rigid demeanor. Nevertheless, your attention was directed towards a manilla folder that she had just picked up from the seat next to her. Perhaps she really did know MacCailin. Opening it and laying it flat on the table, you saw a picture of the building.

The Lakhta Center. A magnificent skyscraper built for the usage of modern, studious magi willing to make a difference in the world. Owned by Dmitri Ilyich, a man with only five generations. A corporate man, white collar and all willing to do business. He specialized in arms manufacturing. Nonlethal firearms that fired pre-automated Gandr and Fin Shot variant spells. Useful for those who weren’t exactly the most adept in combat, but nigh useless for any real expert in the business.

“You see this wretched building? I had to prostrate myself before the mayor to convince him to move it to that out of place, coastal location. Ilyich wanted it in the historical district, where this brazen, modern, hideous building would ruin my beautiful skyline.” She grumbled, and once again, you were thoroughly reminded this woman had an interest in the completely boring. The preservation of history—not that it mattered, as magecraft became worse and worse over the ages.

“Because of Petrov’s established record of robbing valuable artifacts from the home of mages, Ilyich decided to convince the Association that he was more capable of defending Kladenets, especially with the usage of ‘modern technology’.” The derision in her voice was like that of a fighter beating on a punching bag—unfulfilling, but it simply had to be released. She paused, taking a moment to recollect herself, and continued.

“They seem to have forgotten that Petrov has also robbed very secure banks with security measures similar to the ones implemented in the Lakhta Center. Even with the additional guards and such, I’m sure that cunning thief will find a blind spot. You two are mean to cover that blind spot, as I had requested two Enforcers in case of this ‘unlikely scenario.’

“However, if he bypasses security rather efficiently and you two subdue him after he secures the artifact, you look like the heroes, Ilyich loses standing in the Association because his toys did not work in the slightest and will presumably be no longer able to make renovations in my city. Then they give me the sword. We all win.

“But, I presume you don’t quite care about glory. For the homunculus, I can pull some strings and provide her with some work related to her research. For you, Mr. Turner, you can have an artifact from my collection. You can resell it to me for a hefty price if you like. Is that acceptable?”

Ah, this woman sure could talk a lot. Even with her pauses, it still felt as if she had managed to stream all this information together into one block of information, somewhat digestible and yet not. Probably a historian trait, but there was no mistaking what was going on here.

“I’m not asking you to fail, I’m asking you to give the thief the brief hope of succeeding, and then dashing it to the rocks.”

Seraphinia

With a complete lack of alacrity the homunculus stares unblinkingly at the second owner as she processes the response to her query, far wordier than she was anticipating as it may be.

Worthless reason. {Possible gain}

Risk of failure of primary {objective/mission}
    Unknown value of {research}

Additional weights for decision?

Seraphinia turns her head to stare at [Dog] for a moment, considering the value of his input before returning her gaze to the woman in front of her.

None {None}

{Risk} evaluated to {Reward}

{Conclusion}

"Acceptable secondary objective."
    Collection of cherished moments
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I'LL KILL YOU PLUE
    <Zagrin> I'll kill ya Plue

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Michael Turner

“I’m afraid I’m at least twice your age, Mr. Turner. I doubt you can get much from buttering up an old woman like myself.”
    "There is no age cut-off for courtesy, madam." And she still looked hot anyway.

I listen to her tirade against that Ilyich fella. The Association showed its accepting character once again. Great places like that attract great people like our host here. Deliberately fuck up the job? What does she think I am? I'm a professional, I have ethical standards, I have a mission to fulfill, I have...

"For you, Mr. Turner, you can have an artifact from my collection. You can resell it to me for a hefty price if you like. Is that acceptable?”
    ...a check with my name on it coming.

"As long as you tell us all you can about where and how exactly this whole thing is going to go down...maybe we can arrange something. The more you tell us, the better." I gave her the old reassuring smile. Let's gauge the risks. No promises for the lady for now.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    Ayumi Sakagami

Wow, she really lucked out in the Second Owner department. Modest, kind, polite to a fault, and a hard worker.

Ayumi chewed on a cookie and the new information she was just presented with. These cookies really were good. She stared at the map, trying to memorize it. It made sense that Evelina wanted to come too. This was good of a chance as any to prove herself as a Second Owner. Besides, bringing along another set of eyes would improve the death sentence the senior enforcers thought these missions were. "I'm all for adding another member to our party. The more the merrier."

"How much do you about these guys? Are they the type to, I don't know, get in a big messy fight in the middle of the day when confronted?"

As cool as it might be to go the action movie route, kicking down doors, taking no prisoners, it completely went against the first rule of magic club: you do not talk about magic club.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Zagrin's Avatar
    Arjun Vidya

Ah, such modesty in a mage in this day and age, truly astounding. Still she should at least take a little pride in her skills, after all he hadn't been lying, these cookies were actually really good! Nonetheless it seemed it was time to get down to the business at hand: finding their target.

“I’ve done my own snooping around, you see, and I have a few places I would like to visit. The house was bought roughly six months ago with a large amount of money upfront, with rather… suspiciously, heavily clothed people in the middle of summer coming in and out. Same with the cabin by the seaside. The bar is allegedly a really popular place for a member of their… military company.”
    Fortunately it seemed they already had a lead thanks to Evelina. Apparently the target's associates often met up at a bar of some sort (which was kind of strange, considering who they were dealing with you'd think he'd have removed the need for such earthly pleasures). Still a lead was a lead, not like he was going to complain about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel on Earth
    “So… do you mind tagging along with me? I certainly can’t let you bear the brunt of the work for this investigation.”
    "Of course, I don't mind at all. However like Ayumi said, do you know anything more about these people? Chances are we're going to have to fight them sooner or later and every little bit of information counts, may even be the difference between victory and defeat."

Admittedly that first bit was a lie, he actually felt a bit apprehensive about bringing her along, however if he'd declined her offer it was more likely than not that she'd go investigate on her own. After all she was the Second Owner of this land, it wasn't surprising that she too wanted to get to the bottom of what exactly was happening to her home.

Blog Entries
    Lillian Thornberry

Lillian shrugged her shoulders at Nathaniels, but it was clear she wasn't particularly bothered. The air here was a sight cleaner than London, that was for sure. The smoke and fog there was enough to make her sick, even if there were no pea-soupers rolling over the Thames anymore. For the best, really. She hated England inside of her heart, but even Lillian had to grudgingly admit there were some parts that weren't bad.

Spain, in contrast, was much better.

She managed to pull the motorcycle down - even she found it a little challenging, with such a heavy load - but her baby was with her, and that was enough to put a smile back on her face.

"Shall we take this elsewhere, Mr. Nathaniels?"

Her accent was starting to shuck itself off, turning into the slightest burr the way it always did when she was on the clock.

Lillian was ready.

Blog Entries
    Lillian Thornberry

"Mr. Nathaniels? You've been silent for a while, now."

Already, her heart beat was beginning to rise. You didn't get to be a freelancer by letting your guard down, and you certainly didn't get nominated to being an Enforcer for being careless. Supposedly. She wasn't quite sure about her new boss, sometimes.

"Mr. Nathaniels?"