Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Baltimore riots aka Ukraine Thread: Maryland Edition

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Yeah, I bet that drunk girl from twitter set all those fires. Fucking drunk girls, am I right?
    No but you can find photos of black people supposedly stealing handbags and whatnot from 'innocent white passersby' and people in the photos coming out on social media and saying that the white people were, in fact, often drunk and trying to take them from the black people who possessed these things.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodyle View Post
    Okay shit talking aside I don't give a shit what your grievance is you don't get to rampage through a major urban population center and in fact law enforcement exists to stop you from doing that.
    White folks do that quite often when their favourite sports team loses, not only in the US but in Europe, too.

But the outcry only comes when black people do it ( and the reason being that police kill them on a daily basis )

Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you think people dont shit on sports hooligans you must not follow the news that much

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    White folks do that quite often when their favourite sports team loses, not only in the US but in Europe, too.
    And? Does shitting on rioters here make me pro sports riot in your mind or something?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    If you think people dont shit on sports hooligans you must not follow the news that much
    I follow the news quite a lot, as the matter of fact.

Not only is the scope of shitting-on not the same, the racial subtext ( and overtext ) isn't present.

- - - Updated - - -

And? Does shitting on rioters here make me pro sports riot in your mind or something?
    No, but completely failing to graps the underlying reasons for these riots makes you at best complicit in the systematic oppression of black people in the US.

Blog Entries
    My point is that white people in America are all oh so shocked at the damage being done, as if the black people were devils themselves, while conveniently forgetting all the crap these people have to endure on the daily basis.
    Nobody is shocked. Every time white cops kill a black guy and it hits the news we get ready for them to riot.

But I get it; they should all be civilised, docile, toothless, and never do anything bad for you to remotely give a damn about them. Angry black people simply cannot be tolerated.
    Well actually you shouldn't try to oppose violence by setting old peoples' homes on fire. This is largely pointless and serves no purpose. It's just violence.

But I won't say that 'my damns have gone' because of these riots. Because equating what is a small part of these protesters doing damage with centuries of systematic oppression, and saying that I can't support black people's struggle because of the riots, would be intellectually dishonest to say the least. More accurately, it'd be racist.
    I certainly haven't lost my damns regarding racism toward blacks, but in the case of Freddie Gray I no longer believe these actions are those of justice, nor is justice on the mind of any of these people setting their city on fire.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Last time that happened (I could be wrong, I don't live either in Europe or the US), I remember there being also quite the outcry.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes because sports is something where you should account racial subtexts amirite

this strawman is epic nice.

Blog Entries
    No but you can find photos of black people supposedly stealing handbags and whatnot from 'innocent white passersby' and people in the photos coming out on social media and saying that the white people were, in fact, often drunk and trying to take them from the black people who possessed these things.
    Sure. You can also find photos of rioters raiding 7-11s and pharmacies, slashing firehoses, burning normal people and policeman's cars. I mean, I believe that Freddie Gray, the man who died in police custody, deserves to had his story heard. He also deserves a peaceful funeral, which his family asked the protesters for - that it would be a peaceful day. Instead a senior center got burned to the ground. Fun times, huh?
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    Last time that happened (I could be wrong, I don't live either in Europe or the US), I remember there being also quite the outcry.
    Hooligans get condemnded by basically every news facility, whether newspaper, tv, radio or whatever here

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Haven't been following news too closely lately. Has anyone died? In these riots/protests, I mean
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Banned
    No, but completely failing to graps the underlying reasons for these riots makes you at best complicit in the systematic oppression of black people in the US.
    I understand the reasons, I just don't care. Don't riot, end of story. It's not the fucking 19th century, there's no use to it, regardless of the possible justice of your cause. Yes, the cops are racist, does burning down the city solve that? No, in fact it offers justification to strengthen the law enforcement apparatus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Haven't been following news too closely lately. Has anyone died? In these riots/protests, I mean
    Well the police sure killed a guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Nobody is shocked. Every time white cops kill a black guy and it hits the news we get ready for them to riot.
    I'm going to ignore the condescending tone of this line, but if you're so ready for the riots, surely you must at least on some level understand why they're happening.
    And if you do, I'm puzzled as to how ready you are to dismiss the protests while not sparing a single word about why such violence ever came to be.

Well actually you shouldn't try to oppose violence by setting old peoples' homes on fire. This is largely pointless and serves no purpose. It's just violence.
    As I already said, I agree about this point. I don't condone violence aimlessly directed at people not involved ( at least not directly ).

I certainly haven't lost my damns regarding racism toward blacks, but in the case of Freddie Gray I no longer believe these actions are those of justice, nor is justice on the mind of any of these people setting their city on fire.
    And pray tell, how would you serve justice in this case? How do you propose they settle their grievances?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I follow the news quite a lot, as the matter of fact.

Not only is the scope of shitting-on not the same, the racial subtext ( and overtext ) isn't present.

- - - Updated - - -

Chelsea fans disagree.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Yes, I saw that (one?) photo too, that's why I mentioned her by name ("drunk girl"). I'm not sure why you're acting like there's an epidemic of drunk white people snapping selfies of themselves stealing things from protesters and then going on social media to act like victims.

Blog Entries
    Just dropping in to offer a general word to the wise, let's try not to let tempers get to heated when discussing an obviously polarizing issue.

lets try to keep it civil folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    I understand the reasons, I just don't care. Don't riot, end of story. It's not the fucking 19th century, there's no use to it, regardless of the possible justice of your cause. Yes, the cops are racist, does burning down the city solve that? No, in fact it offers justification to strengthen the law enforcement apparatus.
    Yeah they should all just say 'pretty please!'

Cause that totally worked in every other case of people fighting their oppressors.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post
    Well the police sure killed a guy.
    The guy over which these protests are being held, or, like, another guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    And pray tell, how would you serve justice in this case? How do you propose they settle their grievances?
    Well, not by burning down the city and looting.