View Poll Results: Should there be new mods; if so, how many?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

9 20.00%

16 35.56%

7 15.56%
  • 3+

13 28.89%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 381112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mods: Yea or Nay

Blog Entries
    You can have some overall mods and a lot of subforum mods who only have mod privileges in their specific area

So, mods -> super/global mods -> admins hierarchy as in some sites?

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    but why

whats the advantage of that over having more supermods
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    if you define active as people on more then once a day, that's like, 4-5 of us all together. Including all admins and mods. We have more active forums then that, and and again, since we aren't all on at the same time. That raises the specter of having shit going on that the only person on has to wash his hands of because it's not his bailiwick.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting real life level bureaucracy here. Subforum mods would pay the most attention to their particular subforum but they can do mod stuff in other subs if they feel the need.

Who wants to sign up to be mod of fanclubs?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I don't think anyone is suggesting real life level bureaucracy here. Subforum mods would pay the most attention to their particular subforum but they can do mod stuff in other subs if they feel the need.
    Then what's the difference between that and standard mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Nah, just change usernames of other mods to pronouns.
    You, Me, Him, and Her are mods. Oh but She's a mod too and so is He.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I nominate Paitouch because some small part of me thinks it would be a little amusing to see him spontaneously combust when his physiology comes into contact with responsibility.
    I've been in mod positions before and every time without fail I go on power trips until I'm demodded and shamed off the forum. It's not a pretty sight.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    I'm just gonna put my two cents in that I voted two, and I think those two ought to be Siriel and You. Megas (I refuse to get into this joke now) and Raff would be alright as well. I'd also even go for I3 to watch him mature into the beautiful butterfly he ought to rather than the rebellious pillar he tries to be.
    You said no in the thread ;_; (and again, I'd rather that content people such as You, Mew, etc. aren't chosen as then they won't well be bringing content as much).

Raff and Megas perhaps. But I think they might be like me and are looked at as the silly guys.

Long bans instead of permas: not a chance.

subforum mods: actually a not bad sounding idea, we actually considered it ourselves, but we ultimately decided against it because certain forums are so much more active then others, and also because if you do it that way, and there is only one mod online (which happens a lot) do you really want to have to be in a situation where you PM at he only guy around, and he has to tell you his hands are tied because it's his forum?

was there anything else?
    The idea was that they'd really only have to watch their designated board seriously but they could of course go to the other boards. Again, you can't really force volunteers to do something. I mean, a problem you (or it was Seika/Mac) mentioned was that people don't report and mods are left to figure out what's going on on their own if something happens. In a case like this a designated mod (or mods) of that board could at least provide better insight (well this is just theoretically, because I mean, if Lyco got in an argument with a bunch of people you already know what happened) or were at least paying more attention than someone who's expected to browse the dozens of boards by themselves.

And heck, just because its their designated board doesn't mean they need to spend all their time there :P I mean, if no one really reports as you say than you guys probably hear or see what's going on through the massive amount of activity attracted in a place.

Also its not like people can't be moderators of multiple boards or something.

You's extension idea was that if you have a problem with someone you just go to the designated mod instead of kicking up the largest fuss ever.

And then I tossed the ideas that its perhaps less of a headache to just let the users do their thing.

Really, it depends on what the mod team wants to do to choose how many we want.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Blog Entries
    Which sort of comes back around to the question of why make them specifically subforum mods at all?

So far, the only item about lesser mods that I've found convincing is the desire for a face and an immediately obvious point of contact if you're having trouble in a specific forum. Which is a very fair point in itself, but not, I think, worth the possible confusion about mods' responsibilities. Instead, we would rather underline that any and all mods are available for you to PM if you want to talk about a forum matter, as well as the Report button being at your disposal.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I've been in mod positions before and every time without fail I go on power trips until I'm demodded and shamed off the forum. It's not a pretty sight.
    Weren't you a mod on jcafe for years doing (as you claim) nothing until you finally requested demodding cause you were afraid glorious Cruor might find out your other usename?
    Oh right.

Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Cruor is very nice

Then what's the difference between that and standard mods
    Reducing the need for mods to feel like they have to be everywhere. I think that would help relieve some of the stress of the mods but you and the others would know better than I if it'd actually be less pressure for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Weren't you a mod on jcafe for years doing (as you claim) nothing until you finally requested demodding cause you were afraid glorious Cruor might find out your other usename?
    I try hard to tolerate you.

Blog Entries
    Reducing the need for mods to feel like they have to be everywhere. I think that would help relieve some of the stress of the mods but you and the others would know better than I if it'd actually be less pressure for you all.

Seems like way more effort then it's worth, if I am being honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Well it'd be more helpful for the inactive mods and/or admins we don't usually see around, I think.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I try hard to tolerate you.
    And you are a saint for it.
    Oh right.

Cruor is very nice

The only major benefit to subforum mods would be that you're guaranteed a mod who probably spends enough time in that subforum to understand the context of situations occurring within it.

Them being normal outside of their subforms might lessen the perceived divide between user and mod as well
    Last edited by Megas; May 11th, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    The only major benefit to subforum mods would be that you're guaranteed a mod who probably spends enough time in that subforum to understand the context of situations occurring within it.
    Eh, but here's the thing. In reality most people already have a good idea of who hates who or the context of things. Board specific mods give people who are fighting a guy to talk to rather than pming the whole admin and mod team. Is You's argument.
    Oh right.

Cruor is very nice

Yeah, but couldn't that be solved by just making a lot more mods?
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    In reality most people already have a good idea of who hates who or the context of things.
    If I were a mod called into the RP section, I would ban everyone because I have no idea what the hell goes on in there.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    If I were a mod called into the RP section, I would ban everyone because I have no idea what the hell goes on in there.
    No one does. But yeah I don't go there as well lololol.
    Oh right.

Cruor is very nice

Blog Entries
    Eh, but here's the thing. In reality most people already have a good idea of who hates who or the context of things. Board specific mods give people who are fighting a guy to talk to rather than pming the whole admin and mod team. Is You's argument.
    This is the real reason I could never be a mod, here or anywhere. Don't get the interpersonal relationships at all; all you other guys just look like a big blurry cloud of irony to me.