Page 1 of 12 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasuverse eschatology discussion [SPOILERS]

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nasuverse eschatology discussion [SPOILERS]

There’s a pervasive background element which connects virtually all Nasuverse works, and that would be the idea that the end of the World, as we know it, is imminent.

Each work ties into this in a different way, and many of the relevant tidbits are scattered around in throwaway lines, spin-offs, glossaries, side materials, etc. which makes it really difficult to ascertain the whole picture (but that’s part of the fun!)

As an introduction of sorts, these are some of the main sources concerning the matter:

Notes. (May 1999)
    A long time ahead in a planet close, close by...
    The Earth died long ago (humans killed it), and all ordinary life with it. That includes ordinary humans, of which only a handful live on by clinging on to technology (by the end of the story, only one is left, and he’s said to die shortly after).

However, humanity lives on through the Liners (artificial post-humans) and the A-Rays (other, less humanlike artificial life forms). Also, a certain Six Sisters [No.1 savig system to earth]* (sic) lead the A-Rays.

Although they used to be enemies, they have made common cause against the Aristoteles (the ultimate life forms of each other major planet in the Solar System; being 1999, this included Pluto) who came to Earth. As it turns out, they came to fulfill Earth’s dying wish of having all of her children die along with her. It is implied that post-Humanity doesn’t stand a chance, but we don’t get to see how it ends.

The Ultimate One of the Moon, Type-Moon, is somewhere around too, although his relationship to the main plot is unclear.

The apocalyptic event is placed around the year 2000. Hence the term “over count 1999” – mankind has been outliving its natural lifespan since then.
    Kagetsu Tohya (August 2001)
    Includes a short story, Crimson Moon, which explains stuff about Crimson Moon (Type-Moon) and how it was the first alien being contacted by the Earth to keep humans in check.

…Also includes a surprising amount of lore in the random startup messages, of all places.
    Melty Blood (December 2002)
    Introduces Atlas alchemists (magi with super intellect who can predict the future). Turns out, all of them eventually predict an unavoidable end of the world. Some of them create super weapons (one of these weapons appears in Notes). Another of them, Zepia Eltnam Oberon, becomes a vampire in order to try and stop it. He’s the bad guy.

(Also, all of the Melty Blood games have relevant info in places such as winning quotes, pre-fight speeches, etc. The various versions of Arcueid and Wallachia are the two main culprits.)
    Tsukihime Dokuhon Plus Period (October 2004)
    Includes a short story, tale (Shingetsutan Tsukihime Prologue), which elaborates on True Ancestors, Crimson Moon and the relationship of Earth and humans. It’s written in a more poetic, fairytale-like style.
    Character Material (August 2006)
    Elaborates on Notes and the inexistent Tsukihime 2 (The Dark Six). Which would seem to involve vampires trying to enact a ritual in Aylesbury with the potential to end the world. That is, if it existed.
    Melty Blood Actress Again (September 2008)
    Deals with Zepia’s successor, Dust of Osiris, who has more proactive plans regarding the whole “end of the world” thing. Also, doesn’t have an actual story mode. Introduces Archetype-Earth, an usually hidden facet of Arcueid, who cheerfully tries to start the apocalypse with her planetary avatar powers, before being stopped by Arc's usual self.
    Fate/Extra (July 2010)
    A near future (2030-ish) story. It seems like the ritual alluded to in Tsukihime 2 was completed ahead of time (1970-ish) and the Earth died, kind of? But so far, only the supernaturals seem to have noticed this fact? Also, stasis/stagnation/death vs. flux/strife/life. Also, aliens.
    Mahou Tsukai no Yoru (September 2010)
    Not fully translated but probably relevant. Aoko and the True Magicians may be deeply involved in the end of the World. Also modern vs old Humanity, consumerism.
    Tsuki no Sango (December 2010)
    An alternative universe post-apocalyptic far-future (year 3K) tale involving a technologically advanced but spiritually dying Humanity and an artificial Moon goddess.
    Fate/Extra CCC (March 2013)
    Lots of stuff about Humanity, the Ages of the World, Gods, aliens, etc. The Gilgamesh routes being the main source of stuff. Not fully translated.
    Garden of Avalon (March 2015)
    More stuff about the Age of Gods, the Age of Man and the Backside of the World. Also Camelot seems to be a model a silly place a nexus of the old world order. Not fully translated.
    Fate/Grand Order (Summer 2015-)
    ?????
    Fate/Extra Last Encore
    ?????
    Fate/Extella
    ?????

We've been talking about all of this stuff time and time again since... the very beginning of BL, actually, but considering how more and more new stuff keeps tying into this, I think now's a good time to create this thread. Also there have been some good recent discussions about this in the Questions thread; gotta strike the iron when it's hot.

tl;dr let's talk about the end of the world
    Last edited by aldeayeah; November 6th, 2018 at 05:55 AM.
    don't quote me on this

i will set up camp in this thread

Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Atlas has seen the end. I wish this stuff would come together a bit more, but it never does.
    Last edited by Strife ❤️; May 25th, 2015 at 02:20 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That GO organization also uses Laplace's Demon.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what is the sixth
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    The sixth what, is the question.

The Sixth Law? The Sixth Magic? The Sixth Element?

kudos to whoever puts together a "number 6 in the Nasuverse" post

Also as You pointed out, it seems like Grand Order will tie in to this too.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; May 25th, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    The sixth what, is the question.
    Is that the question, though?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Think GO will give anything definitive on this, or will we just get scraps of info?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Is that the question, though?
    its all connected

the sixth whatever zepia was looking at is the revival of the dark six which are the six witches from notes having control over six true magics

so one of them gets love and happiness for everyone

Alright, something I've always wondered.

"---Yeah, there's no chance of winning. You got that right"

Yes, the Angel nodded sadly.

"On top of that, it's them who are right. ...geez. If the humans accepted the prophecy in the 2000th year, we would have gotten away by just being the victim."

"No...! The ones who are wrong are the Aristoteles. They don't have any will. Isn't it a bad thing to erase lives without having a will?"
    What could the prophecy in the 2000th year be? The way I'm reading it, Godo thinks that if humanity had accepted its contents, humanity getting attacked by the Ultimate Ones would have been a situation where humans are simply the victims, possibly meaning that there wouldn't be a justification?

Now prophecies obviously foretell future events. If humanity did not accept the prophecy, and the Aristoteles are 'right' in attacking them for that, then one easy conclusion is that the prophecy was somehow eschatological, or at least warned humanity of the world-ending consequences of something or other.

So the questions are, what were the contents of the millennial prophecy, and is there a candidate in the Nasuverse to match it with?

ah, also insert something something about the significance of the term [overcount 1999], something something aylesbury leading to notes so maybe the prophetess of the DAA was the author

Blog Entries
    I always thought that referred to some Club of Rome-esque doomsaying, not something related to the greater Nasu cosmology, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Think GO will give anything definitive on this, or will we just get scraps of info?
    Best case, we may get a complete view of one possible doomsday scenario, but no way we'll get the whole picture.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    expecting world building from the phone game

nasu knows how to draw customers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Alright, something I've always wondered.

What could the prophecy in the 2000th year be? The way I'm reading it, Godo thinks that if humanity had accepted its contents, humanity getting attacked by the Ultimate Ones would have been a situation where humans are simply the victims, possibly meaning that there wouldn't be a justification?

Now prophecies obviously foretell future events. If humanity did not accept the prophecy, and the Aristoteles are 'right' in attacking them for that, then one easy conclusion is that the prophecy was somehow eschatological, or at least warned humanity of the world-ending consequences of something or other.

So the questions are, what were the contents of the millennial prophecy, and is there a candidate in the Nasuverse to match it with?

ah, also insert something something about the significance of the term [overcount 1999], something something aylesbury leading to notes so maybe the prophetess of the DAA was the author
    I think what he's saying is just that if humans had stayed put and just died in 2000, things wouldn't have come to this.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    its all connected

the sixth whatever zepia was looking at is the revival of the dark six which are the six witches from notes having control over six true magics

so one of them gets love and happiness for everyone
    It all goes back to the 666 beasts of nrvnqsr
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    expecting world building from the phone game

nasu knows how to draw customers
    I'm talking about Grand Order in the broader sense. That is, including the inevitable material books.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Are those a thing? Or are we just expecting them to be?

Blog Entries
    Let's say, you don't have to be an alchemist to see them coming.
    don't quote me on this

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    I think what he's saying is just that if humans had stayed put and just died in 2000, things wouldn't have come to this.
    Yeh, but it's the event and how it came about that's interesting.

Ah, and it's also interesting that the original is 予言. Maybe it was Atlas after all.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That GO organization also uses Laplace's Demon.
    Oh yeah. Hopefully GO is crazy enough that we see some cool stuff.