Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3811121314151823 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

I have a secret that I haven't told you... Huitante's Avatar
    The son of Samael wow the first half is quite brutal
    We've had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be old men running the world

OLD MEN ARE THE FUTURE

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    'Adam the Protoplast was sad'

This translation is weird to the point of being funny; Bible fanfic is... interesting. And it's got baby-eating, that's a thing too I suppose. Here's my audiobook version:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0uzIWAG8EFh

BLESSED BE HE
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bible should count as ancient literature, so... I just casually searched "Moses terrorist" on Google, and it seems that Christian Bale the actor playing Moses agrees with me in that Moses would count as a terrorist. Seriously, Moses's survival was not because of Yahweh's protection but rather Ramses's brotherly mercy. If Moses had been anyone other than the Pharaoh's brother, he would have gone the way of Zhang Jiao, if he were lucky, and the way of Amakusa Shirou, if he wasn't. Given that I recently unlocked Arturia in Extella, and I watched another episode of Youjo Senki, today is turning out to be very good.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoliVampLover View Post
    Bible should count as ancient literature, so... I just casually searched "Moses terrorist" on Google, and it seems that Christian Bale the actor playing Moses agrees with me in that Moses would count as a terrorist. Seriously, Moses's survival was not because of Yahweh's protection but rather Ramses's brotherly mercy. If Moses had been anyone other than the Pharaoh's brother, he would have gone the way of Zhang Jiao, if he were lucky, and the way of Amakusa Shirou, if he wasn't.
    I mean, Moses wasn't actually the one bringing about the plagues so if anything, God would be the terrorist in that story. Also the old adage about it being a fine line between terrorists and freedom fighters seems vaguely relevant here... (as often it is when trying to apply modern political labels such as 'terrorist' to fictional characters from thousands of years ago)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    All religiously based terrorists say that they are drawing their power from whatever god that they are religious to, though.

Blog Entries
    All religiously based terrorists say that they are drawing their power from whatever god that they are religious to, though.
    Of course, but in the story (if you're to take it at face value) it was in fact literally true. So it's sort of ambiguous to say Moses himself was a terrorist in the story, or just that the rhetoric is similar to what inspires terrorist movements in the modern day. You're not necessarily wrong, but it just needs a little more clarification.

I agree that the slaughtering of the first-borns is pretty fucked up no matter which way you look at it, though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not quite literature, but it is a historical event. Patrick Henry once said, "Give me liberty, or give me death". Patrick Henry claims that he knows not what path others may take, but given that he is a leader, his path will inevitably affect the path of others. However, Sima Shi (admittedly, in the Jin hypothetical route of Dynasty Warriors 8) asks "Does the fight to realize a land of benevolence end with the land and its people worn down to nothing?" So what would you do? Refuse to capitulate to that which you define as "evil" even if it means burning the world down during the struggle, or let that which you define as "evil" exist and perhaps even thrive, so that everything else can, too?

Not quite literature, but it is a historical event. Patrick Henry once said, "Give me liberty, or give me death". Patrick Henry claims that he knows not what path others may take, but given that he is a leader, his path will inevitably affect the path of others. However, Sima Shi (admittedly, in the Jin hypothetical route of Dynasty Warriors 8) asks "Does the fight to realize a land of benevolence end with the land and its people worn down to nothing?" So what would you do? Refuse to capitulate to that which you define as "evil" even if it means burning the world down during the struggle, or let that which you define as "evil" exist and perhaps even thrive, so that everything else can, too?
    Try to weasel my way out of both options. If I must choose then I'm siding with Henry.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cao Cao's legacy was reclaimed from Luo Guanzhong through the works of:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C5%8Dten_K%C5%8Dro
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Cao_(TV_series)
    Vlad's legacy was somewhat (though, I admit, not quite) reclaimed from Bram Stoker through:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_Untold
    Who will reclaim Ramses's legacy from the Bible, or does the Bible have too rabid of a fan base? Admittedly, Christian Bale did call Moses a terrorist, but I don't believe that the story of Gods and Kings revolves around that portrayal. Something a bit more than an Ozymandias interlude, of course.

Blog Entries
    So what would you do? Refuse to capitulate to that which you define as "evil" even if it means burning the world down during the struggle, or let that which you define as "evil" exist and perhaps even thrive, so that everything else can, too?
    Hmm. Reminds me a bit of Lelouch's question to Guileford in Code Geass. "What would you do if you encountered an evil that could not be defeated by justice alone?" and all that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This is going less like ancient literature and more history in general. Anyway, in Seraph of the End, Mika, after drinking human blood, says that his human emotions are dulling. In other words, he feels less emotional distress than Yu when seeing Akane's preserved head, for example. Though, to be fair, even perfectly human soldiers will become desensitized to death and violence by being on the field for too long. Tying this to a historical event, while this emotional dulling was portrayed as a negative event, I find that having a poker face during situations where "regular" people couldn't possibly have a poker face can actually save more lives.

For example, during the chaos following the end of the Qin Empire, when Xiang Yu kidnapped the father of his former sworn brother, Liu Bang, and threatened to boil Liu Bang's father alive, if Liu Bang did not capitulate to Xiang Yu's demands. The Wikipedia article about Xiang Yu explained this in a fairly boring manner, but a more interesting anecdote was that, because Liu Bang and Xiang Yu were formerly sworn brothers, Liu Bang (probably, hopefully jokingly) said that, "if you would boil our father (as they are brothers by oath), then please give me a piece". FYI, the common method of cooking meat in China is boiling, so boiling meat means food.

Because Xiang Yu saw that Liu Bang was in so little emotional distress as to joke about the situation, the Treaty of Hong Canal ended up being more favorable to Liu Bang (with all the hostages that Xiang Yu had taken returned safely, of course) than it would have been if Liu Bang actually showed concern for his father's life. Compare that to Sima Yi capturing Cao Shuang's family, and Cao Shuang basically unconditionally surrendering for his family's life, resulting in him and his family being executed, anyway, in a "totally unrelated" incident. Not to mention the end result of Oswald's relationship with his mother in Gotham.

Blog Entries
    Have to admit, I'm actually kind of fascinated by your ability to explain basically anything in terms of random anime references and Romance Of The Three Kingdoms anecdotes...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Liu Bang is not end of Han to 3 Kingdoms. He is end of Qin to rise of Han.

Blog Entries
    Liu Bang is not end of Han to 3 Kingdoms. He is end of Qin to rise of Han.
    Shoulda' just gone with my first word choice of Chinese history... I take it you're a big buff on the subject? Cool.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Kinda wished that http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Liberty_or_Death would be remade with better graphics and of course voice acting. Then again, if the British Empire wins, the game might end with a dying George Washington asking William Howe to look after the people or Henry Clinton calling Patrick Henry an imbecile for his liberty or death speech.

Blog Entries
    Kinda wished that http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Liberty_or_Death would be remade with better graphics and of course voice acting. Then again, if the British Empire wins, the game might end with a dying George Washington asking William Howe to look after the people or Henry Clinton calling Patrick Henry an imbecile for his liberty or death speech.
    Forget that, what we really need is a Koei game about the American Revolution in exactly the same over-the-top style as Dynasty Warriors and what-not. So plenty of over-the-top shouting, hammy dialogue, generals portrayed as near-superhumans with bombastic powers and so on. Giant mecha optional.

...That aside, I really don't think this is fitting for an ancient literature thread. Wouldn't something like video games be more appropriate?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Phil12's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    304,680,406/Phil12
    Anything made before the 21st century is ancient literature in my book. That aside, did any of you see this: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...ime-180960244/

I'm sure it would be of interest to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil12 View Post
    Anything made before the 21st century is ancient literature in my book. That aside, did any of you see this: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...ime-180960244/

I'm sure it would be of interest to you guys.
    The article was posted on Reddit not long ago but it was written in August of 2016. I believe the actual collection they are discussing is available by now. So that's cool.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Phil12's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    304,680,406/Phil12
    Yep, I realized that a few moments ago. While I was reading the article I could've sworn I had read The Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor before(which was on the list), and after a little research, it seemed I was correct. Apologies for posting an out of date article.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil12 View Post
    Yep, I realized that a few moments ago. While I was reading the article I could've sworn I had read The Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor before(which was on the list), and after a little research, it seemed I was correct. Apologies for posting an out of date article.
    It's fine. I just meant that if the article sounded interesting, then the book was available for purchase.