Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91417181920212429 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Between all those alternate history stories, such as Man in the High Castle and Wolfenstein, where the Third Reich managed to push all the way to the US, does any ever mention any potentially awkward moments where it is discovered that certain Jewish-German athletes, such as fencer Paul Sommer, are still alive in the US? More specifically, because they were evacuated from the Holocaust by the very architect of the Final Solution (yes, you know the one).
    PKD tossed a joke every now and then into his novels so I honestly wouldn't be surprised to happen upon such a thing during a reading.

The prince says that the world will be saved by beauty! And I maintain that the reason he has such playful ideas is that he is in love.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Obviously, there are many theories about what happened here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BC_Boshe but it would be hilarious if all those experts were overthinking the situation, and it was just a prank gone horribly wrong, like this:

Minus the Halloween.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    ...I think you posted it in the wrong thread, Lvl.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    But you know the Lu Boshe incident that I'm talking about, right? Also, it's a bit ironic that, if only out of necessity, white supremacist Hitler was forced to make alliances with several non-whites. Obviously, the Japanese, but also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amin_al-Husseini

I didn't, actually. I'm not really familiar with Chinese Literature, not even the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There's... several movies detailing it, but generally whenever you watch a movie showing the rise of the Qin Empire. It will feel a lot, like Star Wars, then you realize that this emperor isn't so stupid as to hire a rebel's father as his personal bodyguard.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So... Did I already mention the hyperinflation of the kingdoms of Midas and that king from the Rumpelstiltskin story?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Makai Tensho is based on the Shimabara Rebellion, but have there been any movies based on events of the Taiping Rebellion? Like Makai Tensho, less focused on historical accuracy, and more of the fantasy aspect of someone trying to pull off Jesus and Moses stuff in Asia.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sima Yi is known to be able to turn his head 180 degrees, like a wolf: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sima_Yi but where does it say that wolves can even do that? Yes, this is more a biology question than a history question, but the motive for the question lies in history.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is Moses's staff stronger than Hong Xiuquan's sword, or are the Chinese gods simply stronger than the Egyptian ones?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    https://imgur.com/gallery/m5RZCXW Grammar Nazis are ruthless in their pursuit of proper grammar purity, while Grammar Communists want everyone to be as bad as grammar as they are. By that logic, Mao Zedong is an actual Grammar Communist, given that his Party made simplified Chinese to replace the traditional Chinese that was apparently too complicated for the PRC. Basically, Mao achieved what Ben Franklin tried with his Phonetic Alphabet, given that China is a dictatorship rather than a democracy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In the original legends, is the fighting in Valhalla like the friendly sparring that we see in Skyrim's Sovngarde, or is it like the straight-up murder fights, like in Dies Irae? If Tadakatsu of the Sengoku period of Japan made an agreement, would that be Honda's accord?

It's not just sparring, it's full-blown fighting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how Korea feels about being part of the Mongolian Empire, on account of not being Korean, so I can't really speak for them, though honestly, I doubt that it is too different from China, but if someone corrects me on that, I'll accept it. However, being Chinese, I do know that China considers the Mongolian conquerors as national heroes for founding the Yuan dynasty. Ditto with the Manchurians for founding the Qing dynasty. That being said, it is very hypocritical for China to not shut up about Japanese war crimes. Given their previous praise of Mongolians and Manchurians, the only real "war crime" that China cares about in terms of Japan is... Adultery. China is like a woman who got pregnant after a 1-night stand and is like "Take responsibility and conquer me properly!" by formal assimilation into the Empire, but Japan was too busy two-timing with them because of the American Pearl Harbor.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Stuff like the Rape of Nanking (which is what most people think when they think Japanese atrocities in China) is less than a hundred years old though. It's natural for it to be a much fresher wound than war crimes committed hundreds or even thousands of years ago. Your post is comparable to saying that, for example, Christian minorities would be hypocritical for complaining about being persecuted in the middle east, but not complaining to Italy about the persecution they suffered under the Roman Empire.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; September 12th, 2018 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Mixed up China and Japan

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, China praises the Mongolian Yuan and the Manchurian Qing dynasties as national heroes of China. Do Christian minorities in the Middle East praise the Roman Empire? Well, Rome itself converted to Christianity later on during the Holy Roman Empire, so it's a bit different, so I'll clarify to say pre-Christian Rome. Also, unlike Japan, Christian persecution is still ongoing in the Middle East.

US Friend Code
    Thing is, China praises the Mongolian Yuan and the Manchurian Qing dynasties as national heroes of China. Do Christian minorities in the Middle East praise the Roman Empire? Well, Rome itself converted to Christianity later on during the Holy Roman Empire, so it's a bit different, so I'll clarify to say pre-Christian Rome. Also, unlike Japan, Christian persecution is still ongoing in the Middle East.
    Well depends on the Christians. Christians in the medieval era glorified Rome and tried to emulate it, thus the Holy Roman Empire, though there was also the Byzantium Empire who saw themselves as literally the continuation of Rome. In general still much of Christianity traces back to it and honors it. I mean the Vatican is still in the city of Rome isn't it? Note I'm not talking about the minority parallel your bringing up, but the parallel to how China in general feels about it's conquerors like how Christianity in general thinks about it's prosecutors.

Also side note since I'm on this thread. I'm rereading the Illiad in the first time in a while. Right now in the middle, I have to say the battles do drag on. If they stop giving all the looks some backstory and elaborate death sequence it probably be quicker though I know that's not how it works. Let all the deeds be detailed for the glory of the champions smg smg.
    Last edited by Iceblade44; September 12th, 2018 at 09:41 PM.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Medical era?

US Friend Code
    Medical era?
    Sorry Medieval.

Auto correct strikes again
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujaya View Post
    PKD tossed a joke every now and then into his novels so I honestly wouldn't be surprised to happen upon such a thing during a reading.
    As an Asian, I have to wonder about the situation in Asia in those parallel realities (High Castle and Wolfenstein). Mao Zedong was thankful to the Japanese Empire for weakening the Chinese Nationalists, but what happens when that wish works too well? Are there still Communist resisters (who are definitely not good guys, themselves), or are the Chinese now praising the Japanese, like they did with the Mongols and Manchurians?