Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4912131415161924 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I really hate modern American stories about ancient Greece where Hades is portrayed as the Lucifer to Zeus's Yahweh. Zeus is supposed to be the Lucifer to Cronus's Yahweh. It's just that, unlike Lucifer, Zeus ended up winning. Then again, Cronus originally overthrew Uranus. Actually, did Hades ever have political ambitions in the original Greek myth? Or is that just a Christian American smear campaign against "the man downstairs"?

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Hades always struck me as the most level headed of the Big Three no constant infidelity, or cursing people because they disagree with him. His most asshole-ish thing was kidnapping Persephone, which on the scale of dick moves by Greek Gods is like a 2.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Amakusa was obviously Christian, but wasn't Zhang Jiao also monotheistic (back when most people in China were polytheistic)?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Anyone more familiar with Inanna/Ishtar or Meso-Sumerian myth know where the name Maanna comes from for Ishtarin's boat of heaven?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Daneel, return to us from KanColle hell
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

I've been following a good Youtube channel for Mythology and History, they're called Overly Sarcastic Productions. Great humor, animation and quality in their works. They cover a bit of everything. Greek myth, South American, Paradise Lost and Dante's Inferno. I really enjoy their miscellaneous series which are only a few minutes long.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Been reading The Pagan Christ by Tom Harpur. Pretty interesting. I haven't read that far yet and I'm not sure whether to take all the more extreme claims at face-value (such as Jesus = Horus/Mithras), but at the very least it offers a fascinating look into the history of the early Church and the
    corruption
    evolution
    Christianity underwent.

Blog Entries
    The evidence for the historical person of Jesus of Nazareth is incontestable outside of fringe conspiracy theory. Don't read trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    The evidence for the historical person of Jesus of Nazareth is incontestable outside of fringe conspiracy theory. Don't read trash.
    I doubted that too, but the author at least seems like a reputed scholar rather then a hack (plus he is actually is a Christian, so you can't accuse him of secularist bias). To be honest, I'm not even really at the point where he argues for or against a historical Christ yet. So far he's mainly talking about the history of the early Church, which does seem accurate. (With plenty of historical quotes to back up his assertions, so if they were made up it'd be pretty obvious)

Blog Entries
    I mean, idk what to tell you man, this is like climate science, denying historicity by definition makes you unreputable.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I mean, idk what to tell you man, this is like climate science, denying historicity by definition makes you unreputable.
    What are some good sources for the authenticity of a historical Jesus (other then the Bible, obviously)? Most of the references seem to be either outright forgeries (like with Josephus), extremely vague or inserted hundreds of years after the fact. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Blog Entries
    Ironically, Josephus is considered to be extremely authentic. Moreover, the strongest evidence is the fact that, despite all the motivation in the world to tear down Christanity, 'Jesus wasn't real' was only an argument invented after the Enlightenment.

Blog Entries
    ey kid, ya wanna buy some pelagianism
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    ey kid, ya wanna buy some pelagianism
    I dunno, mister, my pastor always told me not to talk to strangers.

Blog Entries
    Ironically, Josephus is considered to be extremely authentic. Moreover, the strongest evidence is the fact that, despite all the motivation in the world to tear down Christanity, 'Jesus wasn't real' was only an argument invented after the Enlightenment.
    Wasn't one of Josephus' reports thought to be added after the fact by the Church? (Granted, it may have been constructed around a core of actual truth). Also, some of the arguments in favor of Jesus as a historical figure seem to rely on the only alternative being a falsely historical Jesus, rather then a myth as Harpur is suggesting. A myth is different then false history; in the same way there's a difference between Star Wars and RL ancient alien theories.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    What are some good sources for the authenticity of a historical Jesus (other then the Bible, obviously)? Most of the references seem to be either outright forgeries (like with Josephus), extremely vague or inserted hundreds of years after the fact. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.
    T A C I T U S

I mean the best sources for Jesus being a real dude who riled up some Jews are those written by Romans who didn't like this weird new Judaic cult, but felt like mentioning the guy behind it because he existed.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Been reading The Pagan Christ by Tom Harpur. Pretty interesting. I haven't read that far yet and I'm not sure whether to take all the more extreme claims at face-value (such as Jesus = Horus/Mithras), [...]
    How exactly does he compare Jesus to Horus and Mithras?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    How exactly does he compare Jesus to Horus and Mithras?
    Again, I haven't gotten that far yet and I know very little about Mithras, but with Horus (who he seems to be combining with Osiris a la Yahweh being both Father and Son) the gist seems to be that they were both sky-gods who came down to earth to spread righteousness, were violently killed and then resurrected to triumph over a devil-like figure. Plus some (most?) of Jesus' sayings apparently derive from very similar Egyptian sayings.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    ...Honestly, I'd recommend throwing the book away.

Blog Entries
    Almost reminds me of a (modern) history book I unfortunately bought a few years ago, that blamed the problems of the Roman Empire in part on, I quote, "the meddling character of the Hebrews." Just goes to show that just because something is recent scholarship doesn't prevent it from being absolute rubbish.