Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101518192021222530 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    One of my coworkers believes that the giant Thamud people built the pyramids. All I'm getting from that is a mental image of a brown Bunyan (Fate version, obviously) in middle eastern laborer clothes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    This is relevant to ancient literature.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just stumbled across a reference to this really old Japanese book about the (at the time newly contacted) land of America. Some of the material is a little fanciful, to say the least. Here's a Twitter thread so you can witness the glorious insanity. Highlights include bishie Benjamin Franklin, George Washington punching out a tiger, and John Adams calling on a mountain fairy to avenge his mother who was eaten by a giant snake monster.

Would anyone else love seeing TM make an Archer- George Washington or Saber/Rider John Adams Servant based on this stuff?

US Friend Code
    Yeah I saw that, quite absurd isnt it
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Niehorster put his entire series of German and Hungarian orbats online i feel bad in a way as his reasoning is sad but I'm super excited to see them all (as when I last checked they were like 40-60 bucks each). I highly suggest everyone to go read his book on Hungary first. But to get the idea, Nierhorster is Dutch-American who lives in Germany one of the best experts on WWII military organization and orbats in general. He runs a website (click to go home on the website, or edit the link to see the whole site and go into the Index) where you can see the order of battle for most nations from when they entered the war as well for some nations various operational orbats.

The books on German organization are more general reference books (and to my sadness it ended/was canceled before the series got to the Summer 1944 series he had planned) but the Hungarian book, is probably the best book on the Hungarian military in WW2 in English.
    Last edited by Cruor; November 30th, 2018 at 04:42 AM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    While this is undoubtedly interesting and don't get me wrong, I feel like anyone who was THAT motivated to know specifically about the Hungarian order of battle circa 1940 would probably be able to read even more accurate sources in Hungarian.

- - - Updated - - -

Same for any other specific country, of course.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well to start with an orbat is usually just the current organization at the time of an event (usually just before a battle) the author chooses (for example the 353.infanterie of the XXV Corp on June 6th, but within a week it was instead apart of the XXV Corps it was apart of the Falschirm Corps), and does not usually list how staffed an organization is which is often listed in multiple areas- the ration strength of a unit, the actual strength (which is misleading as it included wounded and sick, and sometimes people not even in the division and on break), the daily strength (the amount of people there on a given day including corps and other temporary attachments) and those sources don't usually give average ages for units which are also listed elsewhere (like the 716. having a median age of 36, the 352. having a median age of 18 and most allied divisions were 19, but the Big Red One for instance was 21), nevermind the vast differences in equipment strength when a division, for instance in records of certain regiments being apart of a division at that time but you would never know if all those regiments were actually there, I can't give brigade number, but I remember one was training in a long queue to get to Normandy but was always being put behind logistics trains and for instance the Guards Armoured from the UK had difficulty getting heavier transportation to Normandy (this is why though they started appearing on allied situation maps starting on the 12th or so they didn't actually 'fully' arrive till the 28th).

there's a lot of things an author can give context to and collect by writing a book, not to mention difficulty of getting hold of some records.

The Hungarian book however is not purely an organizational reference book like the German series is, its much more of a narrative and is a good book.

This is why books like Kursk 1943 by Zitterling are highly respected by even Soviet/Russian and German scholars while, despite it being an English work written by a Swede, is an excellent compilation work with a good assessment on the combat capability and organizational efficiency of both sides.
    Last edited by Cruor; November 30th, 2018 at 02:46 PM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Yeah I saw that, quite absurd isnt it
    Could not stop laughing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know that the Shimabara Rebellion occurred during the Tokugawa Shogunate, but who was the specific shogun?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oblivion's awkward level scaling means that after you hit level 30 to 40, all goblins, save for shamans, will be lord class. Someone joked that the goblins had converted to a democracy. This reminded of the fact that there were several times in history where the "bad guys" were actually more democratic than the "good guys". Pirates had democracies long before the Founding Fathers: http://mentalfloss.com/article/23673...es-rocked-vote And according to the Simpsons, the English during Jeanne's time had more of a concept of rights than the French: http://www.simpsonsworld.com/video/310411843752 Of course, the English are generally portrayed as the "bad guys" in most Joan of Arc stories.

Blog Entries
    Probably not the best place to ask but alot of the time I've seen people on here make really interesting references to aspects of what appears to be Buddhist mythology (This quite often ends up being a topic of converstation when talking about Tamamo) and this almost always ends up with me trying to get some books out from the library or whatever on the subject. However whenever I attempt to do so I find myself trying I always seemingly end up being flooded with a trillion books regarding the religons practices and its place in the modern world which I'm not really that interested in. Does anyone have any sort of book recommendations or tricks or whatever as to how to learn about these more mythological topics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    I mean, plenty judge without being able to actually read the story, so why not judge when nobody can actually read the story?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Pretty nice summary of Uncle Vlad's story:

The Priest is the savior of the world WatashiwalancerPower's Avatar
    i always wondered if Arthur legend was just a warning about mischief and stupidty

you know. some guys trying to pull a sword out of a rock and commoners thinking that whoever pulls it got to be their messiah just for some random kid to do it somehow

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I mean, no.
    First of all, he's not a random kid. He's the legitimate heir to the Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I mean, no.
    Good point, really. Until I actually read it, I had no idea that Arthur was of royal blood. Just thought he was this "random kid" who was divinely chosen to have dominion over Britain. Kinda like an underdog story, in a sense.

Funny how modern superficial impressions of these myths often leave quite a bit out.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I mean, no.
    People actually thought otherwise? I blame Monty Python.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

I think Disney is more at fault there

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm honestly not sure if I should post this there, in TM Misc. Thoughts, in a SW thread, if it exists. Anyway, in neither TM or Samurai Warriors does Kojiro actually "exist". He is a pseudonym used by certain individuals. In Fate, he is a pauper (farmer), but in SW, he is a prince (noble). As for why a noble would choose to become a ronin, it's because he believed that apolitical assassins have purer souls and intentions than politicians, which may be true.

Blog Entries
    Speaking of which, is there anything actually suggesting Kojiro didn't actually exist/was a pseudonym? The closest thing I can find/come up with is that Matahachi kind of uses it as one in the Eji Yoshikawa novel but I kind of doubt that's the cause.