Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1116192021

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

Will we ever know of freedom? RoydGolden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevethepi View Post
    Speaking of which, is there anything actually suggesting Kojiro didn't actually exist/was a pseudonym? The closest thing I can find/come up with is that Matahachi kind of uses it as one in the Eji Yoshikawa novel but I kind of doubt that's the cause.
    From what I've heard arguments that Kojiro was fictional tend to be based on how Musashi never mentioned him in his own autobiography, combined with a few other oddities and inconsistencies in the description of their famous duel.

Deadpan Dead People LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Tso%27s_chicken As mentioned before, we Chinese love praising our conquerors. FYI, Manchurians by their own words are not Chinese, but those who defeated the (Han) Chinese. To put things into perspective, this would be as if during a High Castle or Wolfenstein world, the US had a dish named after Reinhard Heydrich.
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    For some odd reason, most versions of Makai Tensho leave out Gracia and Mori Soiken. They are like the Haydee to most adaptations of Count of Monte Cristo. Actually, when was the original Makai Tensho book written?
    Spoiler:

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Tso%27s_chicken As mentioned before, we Chinese love praising our conquerors. FYI, Manchurians by their own words are not Chinese, but those who defeated the (Han) Chinese. To put things into perspective, this would be as if during a High Castle or Wolfenstein world, the US had a dish named after Reinhard Heydrich.
    I honestly dislike High Castle and Wolfenstein premises because of how damn impossible they actually are without the Nazis getting into absolutely ridiculous fantasy territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Well, that wasn't my main point, anyway. Another comparison of the Chinese naming their foods after Manchurian generals would be like a Native American making some sort of General Custer's... Custard. As for your point, I think that's kinda the point. Just to give the "good guys" more Nazis to fight than they did historically, which kinda reminds me of Kotomine's and Aurum's lines that all heroes secretly desire more villains.
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; March 9th, 2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Remind me again how many instances are there where the winner of a particular war was punished for "war crimes".
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    I'm finally reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. I should have done this years ago.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    I'm finally reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. I should have done this years ago.
    Not ancient literature, but after you finish it, I recommend Marguerite Yourcenar's "Memoirs of Hadrian".
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.
    A Fairy Tale of Love and Death (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A meeting between Scáthach and King Hassan in the distant past.

Blog Entries
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_...ridge_Incident Honestly, this is ultimately as fruitless as who shot "The Shot Heard Round the World" that started the American Revolution, but theorists, including Chinese ones, believe that it might have been caused by Soviets or Chinese Communists: https://www.aboluowang.com/2014/0710/414630.html
    Spoiler: