Page 1 of 50 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Technology / PC Thread

Technology / PC Thread

Nvidia released the GTX 980Ti a couple of days ago which is pretty much on par with the Titan X. I've been tempted to exchange my 970s for some 980Tis but I'm going to hold off and see what the next cards are like. Pascal is supposed to be really good when it comes out, although it's a year away.

Blog Entries
    So is this the thread I should use if I want people to bully me into buying computer parts instead of making a decision for myself?

Yes.

Blog Entries
    Well then should I get a full-tower or mid-tower case? Because on the one hand the way people talk about full-tower cases makes them sound like freakish godzilla monsters and size/weight is definitely an issue for me, but on the other hand I'd like to be able to use the same case for future upgrades and the roominess seems like it would be a plus for somebody that's never built a PC before. I can't decide.

I literally just swapped my full tower to a mid tower when I did my recent upgrade. It was mostly because my old case, while really good at the time, was getting old fashioned. It didn't have access to the back of the motherboard to install a new CPU cooler.

I went with a mid-tower because now I've moved out I'll probably end up needing to move it around more often; the old case was monstrously huge and the mid tower can hold pretty much anything I need it to. Go with a mid-tower if you are remotely concerned about how big/heavy it is. The only point of a full tower is insane watercooling loops and having a cool tower.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the inside of my mid-tower with two GPUs installed.

Spoiler:

Having said that if you are really going to do some weird stuff like Tri or Quad SLI then you need a full tower.

Blog Entries
    Okay, you sold me, mid it is. If I'm ever crazy enough to want to buy four GPUs I'm sure I'll be able to afford to buy a case for them too. I'll shop around for a while and see what I can find.

GTX 980 Ti's going to be short enough to fit two in your case without hitting your drive bays? I've got a single GTX 980 which was of the longer variety (Gigabyte), and I had to pull out one of the trays to make room for its length, and the other tray has three drives in it (and all the upper 5.25" slots are filled too), so unfortunately there's no way I can add another card of the same length to my existing setup.

Regarding case size, I prefer full size towers these days. I've done my share of mid-sized and some compact builds (mini-ITX), and am sick of running wires through small spaces, and just want easy access to everything nowadays. I've never run more than two cards either, but these days also run a lot of drives in it too (a lot of it's stuff which I can't offload to my NAS either)
    One must know the path one runs even if the ground underfoot is not as one chooses

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Thread for spending ridiculous amounts of money on miniscule upgrades.

Meanwhile, here I am barely thinking about grabbing an 800 series because my 650Ti isn't enough for Witcher 3 framerates.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Cooling fan problem. I can still run my laptop, but it has gone silent and there is a warning about potential overheating. Should I bother to repair it and or I should just buy a new laptop?

^How good 800s are supposed to be? If I pick new lap, it will have 800s.

Do 800s even exist for desktop?

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Cooling fan problem. I can still run my laptop, but it has gone silent and there is a warning about potential overheating. Should I bother to repair it and or I should just buy a new laptop?
    Depends. How old is it, how much did it cost, is it a gaming rig and what exactly is wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Strife View Post
    Do 800s even exist for desktop?
    Do 800s even exist?

I'm genuinely asking, I have no clue.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

They don't for desktop PCs it got skipped over, they may exist for laptops idk.

Blog Entries
    Depends. How old is it, how much did it cost, is it a gaming rig and what exactly is wrong with it?

3 years old, not enough good to run some of newest games at minimal and it was really cheap for local standards (500 dollars). The problem seems to be with the fan.

^I've seen 870, I think, in a laptop.

Blog Entries
    I thought my laptop was dying because it started stuttering a lot trying to play videos but it turned out that it had just reset the per program power settings I had set for the switchable graphics card when I upgraded my AMD drivers, whoops.

Buying these "budget" PC parts was basically the worst decision of all time because as soon as they arrived I was like this sucks and have now had to buy everything twice.

That lame 12GB of RAM is being kicked out on monday.

Blog Entries
    I knew waiting out for a better card could happen.

How good are those supposed Pascal Cards gonna be compared to the single 780ti I have? The only reason I wanna get an upgrade in the future soon is because I wanna be an early adopter of VR even tho it'll be niche as hell.
    Last edited by ZidanReign; June 6th, 2015 at 06:22 PM.

A lot better, supposedly.

They are ditching GDDR and going for new High Bandwidth Memory (HBM). People are saying 50-80% better than 9 series?

Blog Entries
    Their going HBM? Hooh.

I can't wait, also I love your mid rig, how are the temps on the sli with just air cooling on load?

Like 80c at load? Not great.

My Xeon is chilling at 35 idle and 60 load though. These corsair water loops are nice.

Blog Entries
    RIP Temps.