Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Realta Nua Mobile

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    ... why not just read VNs on tablet?
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Because most of the tablets people actually buy are ones these new mobile versions were made for, so that's kinda pointless to bring up?

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    They actually confirmed to work on tablets yet?

And this kinda of thing is why I haven't purchased an android tablet. Read VNs on my old netbook, my soon to retire asus tablet and now this machine.

I sold my Android tablet when I got a phone large enough to make a tablet completely redundant, but I digress...
    You didn't really explain what kind of thing is why you haven't purchased one.

P.S. I have yet to find an app that will work on phones (not counting those retarded native apps that are made to work with only one chipset architecture, the ones where I really have to question the sanity of the developers [kind of like I'd have to question the sanity of anyone who'd develop a visual novel for mobile and not be making it with tablets specifically in mind]) yet will not work on a tablet with the same OS (and same chipset architecture, in the side case I mentioned). It may not have a "tablet-optimized layout," sure, and for some companies that is enough reason (or they're just jackasses) to mark it as incompatible in app stores, but it'll still work if you actually go to the trouble of installing it.

US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    If I get a tablet I want a working computer - not a supersized smartphone.
    And I can run VNs and other weeb stuff on there fine if it's windows :P

And I thought some people were having issues getting android FSN to work

Quote Originally Posted by Hen_Ichi View Post
    a supersized smartphone.
    In other words, a working computer.
    Just one that tends to be easier to use than the total mess that Windows' user experience is due to Microsoft still complying with 90s computing ideas and insisting on backwards compatibility with Windows 95 above all else and all sanity (seriously, this happens to be one of the main reasons for many of their decisions).
    Note: Both Mac OS (modern) and Chrome OS happen to be very much designed around the basic ideas of supersized smartphones. Windows was starting to think about moving in that direction, too, until the vocal minority did its thing and complained about it to no end.

US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Heh. Ok. Totally differing ideals.

I want to run legacy programs. It's stuff that runs on windows that I use. If their use is no longer supported then no one will ever remake it for current generation whatever.

Arm based chips often slower, though I haven't tried nor do I have the desire to splash out on whatever the current top end is. Easier to use? Feels like working in a straight jacket. If it works it works. When it doesn't - well prepare to spend hours banging your head against the lack of ways to do anything. Neither apple or android devices I've come across will let you get into the guts of the thing to set things up without rooting or whatever. Multitasking is a pain without window panes or split screen.
    Last edited by Strange_One; June 13th, 2015 at 07:21 AM.

I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that I couldn't get any code in the ks files to work. I think the parser skips over any scripts or macro definitions.

The good news is that I increased the line length.
    I made two versions: one with max length 45, which can be a bit long sometimes (if a lot of wide characters like "m" or "w" are used), and one with max length 255, intended for use with manual line wrapping.
    libnative-activity-45.zip
    libnative-activity-255.zip
    If you want to patch your own version, change the byte at 0x160C02 (it should be 0x1A originally).

With this, it is now possible to have an English version without it being unreadable (overly short lines).

It's possible to add in proper word wrapping, however it will be difficult and I probably won't end up getting it done.

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    Random question that I guess is relevant to this thread, so I'll ask it here...

Are the webp images used for the CGs and the like saved in lossless?

Just had a theory yesterday that maybe that's why my image-viewing/converting software couldn't open said images, because I think said program only supports lossy webp...

EDIT: Nope, it doesn't even support lossy WebP. Well, I guess my question still stands...if anyone can actually determine whether it's lossy or lossless.

EDIT 2: For anyone that's wondering, what is essentially the "revamped version" of said program that is still in beta is what supports WebP. Guess I missed that memo.

EDIT 3: Well I just did my own testing and, at least filesize-wise, it's definitely lossy, but the quality setting is set to something high like 95 (which, from my test, actually gave a smaller filesize). Not to mention, if I just zoom in some, I can pretty clearly see various lossy compression artifacts such as jpeg-like noise and even some macro-blocking and a bit of color-banding...

EDIT 4: Uhhh...yeah....you definitely know it's lossy when a lossless 800x600 PC CG upscaled using the fanciest algorithms known to man looks better than iOS/Android's "high-resolution" CG...

EDIT 5: Better quality yes, but not better resolution - you need to combine the upscaled lossless PC CG with the iOS/Android CG in order to get the best quality without noticeably reducing the resolution offered by the iOS/Android version (less noticeable than the lossy compression artifacts).

EDIT 6: ....or I could just take the simple route and convert the iOS/Android WebP to PNG and run it through waifu2x's artifact reduction; that gives the best result period and is also a much quicker solution than the upscaling and combining voodoo I was doing.
    Last edited by NM64; June 15th, 2015 at 04:25 AM.
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

Blog Entries
    What... But I asked you whether they were upscales before I got to working and you said they weren't.
    Is my work all for naught?

No, they're not upscales.

Let me put it this way - I just found out like literally 1 minute ago that, the upscaling and combining voodoo I was doing gives a worse result than if you were to just take an iOS/Android WebP CG, convert it to PNG, and then run it through waifu2x's artifact reduction @ low.

So considering that we're likely going to have to be using PNGs for the PC HD image patch thing, we might as well do some artifact reduction - I mean, PNGs are lossless anyway.

FYI here's the page with waifu2x's artifact reduction - make sure you have upscaling set to "none":
    http://waifu2x.udp.jp/

To save the image, right click the resulting image, select "copy image", paste it into something like MSpaint, and then save as a PNG.

EDIT: And honestly, if we're going to be discussing the PC HD image patch thing, then it really should be in the PC Realta Nua thread...

EDIT 2: Oh and btw, waifu2x's online page doesn't support uploading WebP images (I just tried it right now), hence the converting to PNG.

EDIT 3: And because I can, examples! (using the only iOS/Android CG I have, courtesy of Jack)

Original iOS/Android CG

waifu2x artifact reduction @ low

EDIT 4: I had derped the image for high artifact reducion; here's the fixed version.

waifu2x artifact reduction @ high

Last edited by NM64; June 15th, 2015 at 04:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    ...Honestly, I can't tell the difference.
    And what did you mean in your previous comment: "Better quality yes, but not better resolution." Doesn't better resolution mean better quality?

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The lower resolution version is in a lossless formats and has no compression artifacts.

The high resolution version is in a lossy format and has compression artifacts.

...It's a bit like comparing a 44KHz WAV file with a 48KHz MP3 file. The WAV file may sound better even having the lower sampling rate, because MP3 compression is lossy and may cause a perceptible loss of quality.

NM64, to compare both versions you should try to show images with more information, like noisy patterns or tiny objects.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; June 15th, 2015 at 12:00 PM.
    don't quote me on this

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
    To save the image, right click the resulting image, select "copy image", paste it into something like MSpaint, and then save as a PNG.
    Considering MS Paint's PNG compression is practically nonexistent, basically any image editing program you can find that is not MS Paint would be preferable.
    Then again, I can take any PNG that was saved in MS Paint and recompress it at about half the file size on average in a couple seconds, but that's still an extra step that should be unnecessary and would be with basically any other program.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So for me to download the english mobile version (when it's done) will i have to jailbreak or wipl it be completely legit.

I allready have the japanese on my Ipad. If i get a translation I'll finally be able to read it since I don't have time hen I'm on my PC.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I dunno if you can mess with files on an iPad at all without jailbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibi View Post
    ...Honestly, I can't tell the difference.
    You're allowed to zoom in you know. Remember, since this is for an HD patch, I would expect more people to run things in fullscreen, particularly on larger monitors, because the images and text will actually still look good rather than blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    NM64, to compare both versions you should try to show images with more information, like noisy patterns or tiny objects.
    Like I stated in my post, that's the only iOS/Android CG I have.

Quote Originally Posted by XerBlade View Post
    Considering MS Paint's PNG compression is practically nonexistent, basically any image editing program you can find that is not MS Paint would be preferable.
    Implying I don't recompress my PNGs afterwards with something that gives better results than the default PNG compression @ 9 (which is the maximum compression for PNG that most image editing programs offer).

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    T...It's a bit like comparing a 44KHz WAV file with a 48KHz MP3 file. The WAV file may sound better even having the lower sampling rate, because MP3 compression is lossy and may cause a perceptible loss of quality.
    Honestly that's not the greatest comparison because, even for some audiophiles, the difference between 44.1KHz and 48KHz is not noticeable. A better comparison would be 32KHz 24bit FLAC vs 48KHz 128kbps MP3.

Alternatively, compare a DVD to YouTube's 720p (particularly their AVC DASH format) - the former has much better quality while the latter has better resolution.

Lastly, take a lossless image, resize it to 50%, then save it in a lossless format. Now take the original-sized lossless image again, and just re-save it to JPEG with quality set to 10. This is an extreme example, but what I was describing is essentially this exact thing but on a much less extreme scale.

EDIT: Quibi, I am disappoint that you have not responded to my question in the PC RN thread even though I made that post 17 hours ago.
    Last edited by NM64; June 15th, 2015 at 06:04 PM.

OK, I have successfully loaded .webp format pictures in krkr.
    Plugin: ifwebp1.5.zip

Add below code in init.tjs to load this plugin.
    Edir: Add below code in override.tjs is better.
    Code:
    Plugins.link("ifwebp.spi");
    This is Susie SPI plugin so krkr can load it directly. This plugin will ignore Alpha layer, maybe .png format is required for front pictures.
    Plugin homepage: http://mimizunoapp.appspot.com/susie/

Edit: this post should be post to PC RN thread, but I see above post had discuss CGs for PC RN.
    Last edited by Hintay; June 23rd, 2015 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hintay View Post
    OK, I have successfully loaded .webp format pictures in krkr.
    Plugin: ifwebp1.5.zip
    Is this meant for PC Realta Nua?

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would guess so, since it mentions krkr
    don't quote me on this