View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 105 of 242 FirstFirst ... 55595100103104105106107110115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wish I had money so I could buy Volo's Guide to Monsters, it looks cool. :/
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Money isn't a strict requirement.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    It is when you've got an upcoming vacation to worry about ;_;

unfortunately, not a vacation to the Caribbean, or Somalia
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Boy howdy a Wizard sure is harder to plan than a Barbarian

I have spent weeks trying to decide on 2 of 3 cantrips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    It is when you've got an upcoming vacation to worry about ;_;

unfortunately, not a vacation to the Caribbean, or Somalia
    Not what I meant.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Not what I meant.
    As I am well aware :3

let's just say that I've shopped around, but to no avail

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    There are certain ways to make the trip across the high seas...

I love how much my friends banter whenever we play roll20.

Spoiler:
    12:57AM
    Nadia: As the digging commences, Nadia takes break time between shifts to investigate the scroll she had found on Ardok.

mAc (GM): The scroll is sealed with a wax insignia of a spider.

Nadia: "Great. This again."

Louisoix: "Sealed, looks like?"

Denigar Lowmountain: "What again?"

Nadia: "Yes. This symbol reminds me of a certain someone."

Louisoix: "Not a scroll of magic, then."

Nadia: "A spider, of course."

Nadia opens the scroll.

Denigar Lowmountain: "Uhg. Ah'm pretty tired o' that Black Spider too."

Nadia: "Will be my luck if it's a poison trap or some other nonsense these types enjoy."

mAc (GM): The scroll, written in elegant cursive, bears a simple message: "When you're finished at Cragmaw, see me in Phandalin.
    Vyerith"
    A symbol of a black spider is stamped above her name.

Giles Goldfellow: "Glasstaff talked big, but he was just a pawn himself. It's no surprise that Ardok is a part of this scum as well."

Nadia: "Vyerith."

Nadia sighs.

Giles Goldfellow: "Phandalin."

Giles Goldfellow sighs.

Weldric: "...she's in Phandalin?"

Nadia: "So it seems."

Louisoix: "Excellent."
    "Perhaps she will enlighten us on the location of the shrine."

Nadia: "Didn't you say the Necromancer owned that castle, now?"

Louisoix: "I did not state that we are enemies."

Nadia: "You could ask him, then."

Nadia shrugs.

Louisoix: "Hrm?"
    "Do not be so silly. He's not even familiar with the territory."

Nadia: "Presumably his servants will pick that place clean. If the shrine's there, they'll find it."

Denigar Lowmountain: "Ah'm sure if ah got a chance tae comb over that place, ah could find that shrine for ye."

Louisoix: "He simply seeks bodies to work back at his camp."

Nadia: "I wouldn't assume this Vyerith is any more familiar with it. But, we can always find out."
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    That's a hell of a lot of bants to fit in the space of 60 seconds.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, sometimes it feels like watching a stream chat.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    As I am well aware :3

let's just say that I've shopped around, but to no avail
    A certain dying image board had it pretty much day of, digital text and all. I wasn't even looking for it.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Yeah 5E books are way easier to find than I expected, even.

Like I can just turn around and just run right into them, totally by mistake, because I'd never look you see.

----

So a few adventures ago, I picked up a Magic Greataxe of Total Legitness. It came after two adventures where the enemy types either resisted non-magical melee or where outright immune to it. My Barbarian was hence extremely disadvantaged throughout the whole thing, and it did not feel very good. Especially when I finally acquired a magical Spear (so, a shitty substitute) and had it nerfed on the spot the first time I tried to use it.

So after that, I wanted to use my downtime to find somewhere selling Magical Great WeaponsTM. I was just barging into every store I could find and demanding to see their Magical Great WeaponsTM, partly as a joke since I am a Goliath Barbarian with low mental stats, and partly because I took the previous 5 sessions as an indicator that we would continue to fight melee-resisting/immune enemies and I would really NEED to be able to do magical damage to do... anything.

Anyway, the other players called me out for munchkining and trying to be overpowered, when I really was just looking for the exact same stats as the basic weapon, but magical. The DM naturally decides to give me a cursed weapon, with stats that are too good to be true.

So for the next 10+ sessions the axe proceeds to fail every saving throw it has to turn against me and I just get to lug around an overpowered axe carving things up, which has been an absolute joy.

After the last sessions, which finished the Halloween adventure, the DM from that session told me it finally succeeded and he'd have to run the next session as a one-off to deal with it. At this stage I think we've moved past accusing everyone of min-maxing so I am not too worried.

I'm very interested to see how this turns out, though. And him DMing again means he'll get to resolve the plot thread he left open since his last session which has been bugging me a lot because I couldn't address it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    I have played D&D on roll 20 before but it was a very unsatisfying experience compared to playing face to face with people. Probably partly exacerbated by the fact it was with random people that I didn't know as well as me being a player in a system that I don't really like (pathfinder).

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    Hoping that I'll find a gaming group who plays to my tastes when I go to uni. I mean I could experiment with different playstyles and experience all the different types of experiences you can have with tabletop RPGs...

Blog Entries
    Find proper lads with good bants and you'll have fun.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    My IRL group were going to try Roll20 but we never bothered to set anything up.

And we no longer have the scheduling issues that made it difficult to meet up for it anyway.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Played Superheroes Inc (Spanish RPG from the mid-nineties) on Saturday night.

GM was Best GM (a rarely available member of our playgroup).

He gave us premade characters. I was blessed with the Mystique powerset. It was great. Forms I assumed (non-exhaustive):

- Black youth.
    - Clubbing schoolgirl.
    - Clothed me (I was naked, ALL THE TIME)
    - Morgan Freeman.

Also there was a night club secretly (well, pretty transparently for those familiar with the tropes) run by vampires, so I got to play the rave theme from Blade.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    ^What's so good about the GM?

In my offline game, the party's decided to travel through a cursed, magical forest that's out to kill them. It's time to turn this game into OREGON TRAIL. Diseases, bad weather, accidents, poor visibility, spoiled rations, exhaustion, unclean water, leeches, treacherous terrain... I'm going to make a billion random tables for this.

KIND OF ENCOUNTER (1d6)
    1 ???
    2 Weather
    3 Accident
    4 Terrain
    5 Disease
    6 Monster

Now I just need to figure out one more for this table... or maybe break it down differently.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I propose "Other travelers" for 1, particularly if the group are a bunch of goody two-shoes that are likely to be delayed by trying to help others. Alternatively, enterprising PCs may realize their usefulness as sources of useful material to loot!

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    What's so good about the GM?
    Name a GM skill. He has it.

He's not old school like you, however; he's more of a narrativist.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; November 29th, 2016 at 07:58 AM.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    So, the Totally Legit Axe... is actually fucking awesome

See it had the ability to do an extra 2d6 damage against creatures with the Giant subtype, and kept complaining about the things I was hacking up which lead me to think it wanted to eat giants so I was like lol okay we're not fighting any of them soon

But in the last session, it finally started succeeding on its rolls and revealed it had another ability: case Enlarge on an enemy that I hit and giving it the Giant subtype. That made it eligible for my bonus damage AND the right food for my axe, while making the enemies hit harder

I thought that was an interesting twist and making the enemies stronger so that I can do more damage to them is totally inline with my character

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    I propose "Other travelers" for 1, particularly if the group are a bunch of goody two-shoes that are likely to be delayed by trying to help others. Alternatively, enterprising PCs may realize their usefulness as sources of useful material to loot!

Name a GM skill. He has it.

He's not old school like you, however; he's more of a narrativist.
    Ah, good idea. I actually asked one of the players that and they also mentioned other travelers. Strange that it was something you both hit on that I didn't think of.

I'm actually more of a narrativist than anything else. Well, I suppose it depends what you mean. If you mean that there's some huge story that I have figured out that I'm steering the game down through, to the point where I spare players if they're going to die because it'll interfere with that, then no. But in terms of how I approach the game, I favor cinematic and abstract theater of the mind play over more process oriented, randomized, resource driven play, which is where this forest becomes an exception to highlight. I actually wrote a blog post a while back touching on different kinds of games, and historically I've always had more experience with "story games." As such, it was 5th edition's lighter touch that interested me and was my first foray into actual D&D. Though rereading this post, I am not so sure it clearly gets across what I was trying to talk about...

In terms of having how established the story is, that's the difference between having a linear campaign and a sandbox one. I tend to favor sandbox ones, except if it's a one shot because that obviously needs a much tighter structure. But even there you have lots of room to maneuver.

There's also how established the game world is: some DMs will map out every last particle of the world like they're creating an actual place, others have it all hanging in limbo until a player opens the door and peers into the room, like schrodingers cat. This tends to be the difference between a top-down preparation style and bottom-up improvisational style.