View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 135 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3585125130133134135136137140145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    like, this time they’re a giant telepathic praying mantis, or whatever
    Stop discriminating against Thri-keen, you illiterate sewer-child.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So, do you guys play over skype, discord, teamspeak, etc?
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Roll20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I should have been more specific. What voice chat do you guys prefer to use? I'm not a big fan of skype since the closest thing I can find to a push-to-talk is a push-to-mute.
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For voice, a lot of people seem to use Discord? Though I don't play in voiced games that often. Teamspeak also works too, but idk. I don't actually use push to talk, so idk which uses what.

- - - Updated - - -

Idk if anyone really uses skype anymore, welp

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Blame tumblr where I found this, not me

I mean, I'll take the sewer part though, I live in LA now

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    For voice, a lot of people seem to use Discord? Though I don't play in voiced games that often. Teamspeak also works too, but idk. I don't actually use push to talk, so idk which uses what.

- - - Updated - - -

Idk if anyone really uses skype anymore, welp
    I have to use push-to-talk since dogs at home just love to start barking anytime they hear anything around the house.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Oh, I should have been more specific. What voice chat do you guys prefer to use? I'm not a big fan of skype since the closest thing I can find to a push-to-talk is a push-to-mute.
    Since Roll20 has built in chat lots of people don't even do voice anyway; I can see how it could be distracting.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Saiga, just checking, but the game you're currently playing is one that you are meeting with people face-to-face, correct? If not, would they be interested in having another person join?

Similarly for mAc and Seika.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Great monster race, terrible for PCs.

- - - Updated - - -

Then again, the same can be said for a lot of "Dark Sun". Great setting, but a lot of its options should have been NPC-only.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Saiga, just checking, but the game you're currently playing is one that you are meeting with people face-to-face, correct? If not, would they be interested in having another person join?

Similarly for mAc and Seika.
    Yeah, it's an inperson game.

Would like to do an online one if enough people are interested, though.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I would love to have you, Trubo, but I'm already drowning in games bursting at the seams and don't have enough of me going around right now. Otherwise my first thing to do would be hitting up Seika/Five/Polly/Snow.

Tonight I ate dinner at a restaurant with some old friends after Thanksgiving stuff was over, and I ran a 1 hour game with them right there to show them how the game worked. No paper or pencils or math, just a single d20.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No worries. If a spot opens up in the next few months, just let me know.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    We went through three encounters and started and finished a story arc in one hour. I am rather pleased with myself. It was more fun with just the single d20 and the stripped down game rules I used.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    How is stuff like distance and so on handled without a map?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Do you mean how I handled it in this specific game, or in general? Or both?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Here, but also in general, if maps are unavailable?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    The same way you describe action when telling stories or writing them. Nobody says, "Saber ran exactly 35 feet and slashed Archer." You say "Saber closed the distance" or other such phrases, while keeping in mind the general nearness. It involves glossing over the super specific parts of distance and dealing with the general categories: near, far, etc. The DM can make a judgment call of how close people get and then relay that understanding to the players.

Think of how you'd describe some sort of fight breaking in real life after the fact. You tend to focus on the action and use landmarks to convey location. "They fought next to the wagon." The important thing is what people are doing and their relation to each other, not exact specifics.

It's actually easier without maps. Maps slow things down as everyone measures out precisely where they want to go, when ultimately it doesn't matter most of the time. But you do have to drop the level of tactical positioning involved as a result.

We got done a whole combat in like 10 minutes.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    A lot of games already don't use maps for combat, even following the rules. My current DM tends to use maps depending on terrain or complexity, for minor fights or one in very straightforward areas he doesn't bother.

That limits the usefulness of certain abilities, though, and it can create issues if DMs and players aren't on the same page.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but those situations are pretty rare and can be dealt with when they come up. Most of the time it doesn't really matter how far you are from something. Either you're in melee range and within striking distance of everyone, or you're far enough away that you can shoot safely.

And yeah, the map thing really only is a constant presence in roll20, and even then there's nothing stopping you from going totally abstract and Theater of the Mind there too.