View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 150 of 242 FirstFirst ... 50100140145148149150151152155160200 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    When you guys make D&D characters (specifically), do you tend to dwell on concepts until you come up with a fully realized character?
    This one. If it's a character for a quick one-shot or something which won't give me a lot of time for character creation, I'd rather just reuse an old character's personality and background.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    This is helpful so far and a little surprising.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Actually, here's a question I thought of recently that would be useful to me.

When you guys make D&D characters (specifically), do you tend to dwell on concepts until you come up with a fully realized character? Or do you make more of skeleton of an idea that you then flesh out as you play on?
    It varies but usually I create very basic characters. I prefer my characters to be defined by the events of the campaign (what is actually being played) than what was thought up beforehand.

The only exception is if I come up with a more complicated character idea that requires elaboration, or I have a very specific character I am itching to play.

Also all of my characters end up defaulting to 'snarky dick' regardless of what I intended.

マリーの味方
    so my necromancer player tried to "trick" venomfang with a bunch of unseen servants, some torches/oil, and zombie heads

his plan failed miserably and the session ended with the party high tailing it out of thundertree with a dragon on their asses

rip

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    We've started having a meal time before our sessions. I got a Chickfila nugget tray today and my friends all brought over their own foods and we had a little house party of sorts before actually playing. Next time we'll get pizza.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    We usually play through the day and break for lunch. I want to try out different times and set ups to see what works. We've had a session or two that started later and ended with dinner, some that ended with lunch and one that started after dinner (that I made) that I really enjoyed.

Quite often with my two MTG playing friends, somone will put on dinner and have the other two come over for a commander game. That's always great, I think we'd enjoy that in the D&D group if it were more regular.

Since our DM moved into a new place we've always done it as his place and gone out for lunch. But there aren't many eateries close by so I feel we've kind of exhausted our options. I also know that the players find it a little too time consuming to walk to the restaurant atea, wait on the order and the come back to continue playing.

I'd like to shake things up a bit and have some games at my place, so I can cook for the group. With some prep it would be way smoother and quicker.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    If there's one non-RPG forum in the entirety of the Internet that should know (and revere) Exalted, it's this one.
    It's basically Heroic Spirit: The RPG.
    Actually on Exalted. I'm actually trying to see if I can use the Third edition systems to stat up a few Servant sheets, since when I read it charms and the initative system it just felt interesting how exactly I can create Servants with it.

Of course what I'm doing is massively homebrew since the settings are too far apart and some mechanics don't fit like Essence. But I have a few ideas. Like stat plus being turn into excellencies, instinct working into the initiative system, luck becoming static value to serve as a difficult. Fun stuff. Hopefully when I get the time I can stat at least Artoria and Cu at least for this fun project. Just wanted to say so as I saw the game brought and I agree it's very hero friendly, you are a Hero after all.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    If there's one non-RPG forum in the entirety of the Internet that should know (and revere) Exalted, it's this one.
    It's basically Heroic Spirit: The RPG.
    I've played Exalted before. Fun experience.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    My run of Menet-Ka's Grasp with KT and the co. is complete! That was intense.

Much like camping.

Spoiler:
    But for real that was amazing. You're a great gm Mac.
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

Blog Entries
    I am the unluckiest one-shot player of all time.

The unluckiest one shot player yet

Blog Entries
    all this d&d talk just makes me wanna play even more. can't wait to join the next party of idiots brave adventurers!
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

it was fun

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    bloble ruined my ability to handle pronouns

Blog Entries
    Just popping in to recommend Prepared! by Kobold Press. It saved our hides when our DM went missing and I had to offer myself to DM so we could have D&D evening, and for first time DMs it does offer a lot: you can insert the adventures into any campaign you wish to, and if you have a little time since most of the combat and atmosphere of the adventures is done for you, you can focus on adding NPCs and trying to make the scenes and the world feel alive and thriving, and give the PCs chances to shine.

That being said, I also DM'd today, it was a very fun experience that also changed my perspective on the work that it takes to DM something and also, on how to be a better, more relaxed sort of player who can enjoy himself no matter where the story goes or how fucked is the situation and make the table have a better atmosphere, so it's a win-win. Even though I felt like there were times when the mood was lost, my players told me they had a blast so I hope I can repeat that again and weave together a new story! This time with kobolds to give the poor goblins a rest, they really took a beating from the PCs today.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

マリーの味方
    If there is any lesson I've learned so far DMing, it's that I will always overestimate how much progress my players will make. Three hours seem to go by so quickly.

Anyway I'm still barely scratching the surface of Forgotten Realms lore but the new campaigns that were announced recently do sound exciting. Always thought Waterdeep sounded like a fun city, would love to run something there eventually.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm just happy there's finally content for tier 4 (17-20) players in hardcovers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Posting this on behalf of Christemo, who was too beautiful for BL. He's interested in running a oneshot:

THE DEFILER'S LAIR
    Wide and far is spoken only with fear the name Uzma the Defiler. Perched within his lair among the hills of a less sparsely populated sector of the world, he pollutes locals, settlers, nature, wildlife and magical creatures alike, or slaughters them if they are lucky. For over a decade, his servants and twisted creations have run wild, and the Kingdom of Rhedania, having established positive relations with the tormented locals in hopes of expanding and integrating them one day, has had enough.

Decreed by the King, many factions, criminal and virtuous, unholy and not so, have been called to put their differences aside and assemble a team of their very best to bring down Uzma, with public acceptance and cheer, monetary rewards, and even an opportunity for having your family awarded noblehood in these new lands, should they succeed. The rewards are great, but the challenge before you much greater, as you prepare to take on the vilest despoiler this world has ever known.

Game format: Pathfinder
    Game length: Oneshot, possibly twoshot if we end up going long.
    Number of players: 4-5
    Player Level: 8
    Character Restrictions: If you wish to use 3rd party material, ask the GM, but generally he'll permit anything. All alignments and classes save Path of War ones are fine, and he’ll even allow use of things like Monstrous races like Centaurs (though he will drastically reduce the power of their racials to bring them in line with other more reasonable races).
    Character stats: DM Christemo#1337 on Discord if you're interested in joining for a link to the Roll20 page for the game, and if you have any questions in general. In the chat, /roll 4d6d1 6 times. You then have the choice of a full reroll, or rerolling a single stat. Afterwards, you may swap the places of a single stat.

Setting
    In this world, nature is extremely fertile with magical energy, and often gives birth accidentally to minor spirits, nymphs and other magical creatures that serve as guardians or rulers of the plot of nature that spawned them. Depending on the group or faction, these spirits are either looked at with respect or disdain, as some prey on them to harness the magical energy innate to them, while others leave them offerings or broker deals with them for good harvests, protection or even sage advice. Unfortunately, while usually either pure or wild of intent, these beings are not incorruptible, and the druids of the land who protect and form partnerships with these spirits are among those who have begged Rhedania to do something about Uzma the most. By the work of the Defiler or his minions, several of these spirits and creatures have ended up cruel parodies or outright abominations through his machinations, unloved and reviled by powers good and evil both.

The Kingdom of Rhedania:
    Possibly the only real power of the Crescent Moon continent, where mostly small fiefdoms and villages prosper, barring some more supernatural locations like the Druid’s Grove and the Defiler’s territory. A blossoming nation where meritocracy is prized and valued by the mighty Rhenados line of kings, it’s status as the only true civilization known on the continent makes it a place where all sorts, good or evil, gather and play politics and power games. Due the meritocratic nature of the kingdom where value is determined by what you contribute, even groups related to evil gods are allowed to do their work, though a strict contract with the Rhenados kings forbids the practice of the truly vile arts such as necromancy in return for the overlooking of the occasional ritualistic violence or political plays.

The Rhenados family never makes public appearances and governs mostly through their use of a mysterious and very efficient praetorian unit that upholds public order and announces the king’s decisions and sees them carried out. This has caused many rumors and stories to circulate as to whether the family even exists at all, but no one can quite question the great prosperity that occurs when things go the way this praetorian unit, nicknamed the Black Cloaks because they have never named themselves, wants them to go.

Uzma the Defiler:
    Uzma’s true identity, though his name is widespread, is still somewhat of a mystery. Due his ruthlessness, barely any eyewitness records worth a damn exist of him, and scrying of his lair has never revealed much of worth either, only visions of horrid vistas that have left some seers sick to their stomachs or at the very least unwilling to investigate further, even with the promise of ample rewards. Some speculate he’s a demon or other evil entity from another plane of existence that has established his dominion on this budding world, others think him a horrible former mortal that gained a twisted thirst for power and ruination. Those who try to live close to the Defiler’s lands speak of gardens of organs, bloody river streams and rotting, diseased trees with cavities in them resembling toothy, screaming mouths, and of the many twisted creatures and men that walk the roads with some ungodly purpose in the defiler’s name, leaving desolation and corruption wherever they go.

One thing is for certain: The threat posed by this Defiler is very, very real.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Ooh, I've never played Pathfinder (and I've still got a lot of free time to use). I'd be interested, should I just DM Christemo for more info?