View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 153 of 242 FirstFirst ... 53103143148151152153154155158163203 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Blog Entries
    Is there a point at which I should start making up a character for a later game?
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Warstory: Opti plays Dungeon World.

So today for the free RPG day I decided to do something different and join a Dungeon World game. My character was a Cleric by the name of Gunnar the Osseous, due to his bone armor, who hailed from the north and worshipped Kilgar the Northern Wolf God. The first thing he did upon arriving in town and finding out there was a party going on was to drink until he couldn't anymore and then burp so loud the entire party stopped for a minute. Funnily enough, he was the first to notice something was up, and let me say this, I love the Guidance cantrip in DW, almost enough to forgive the whole "you need to pass a check to cast a spell" shtick.

Depicted: Gunnar the Cleric, who pretty much acted and played like a Barbarian that could cast spells and turn undead. He could only read and cast from runes, and his prayers were instead animalistic sounds like howls or eagle screeches. And yes, he is Chaotic Good. He's not up for that necromancy nonsense, it's just his cultural garb.

The group had a Wizard and a Fighter who loved breaking stuff as much, if not more Gunnar did. She and Gunnar were back to back badasses while the Halfling also sneaked around and stole shit. I like the bonds system, rather than imperatives it gives you suggestions on how to create meaningful inter-party interactions that matter, which avoids the whole "lone wolf" situations that happen often within these games. I also liked how the system lets you swash buckles and make up cool shit without needing it to hold your hand. Only the DM (who thankfully was understanding enough to not) could really say "no" to Gunnar the barbarian cleric. That's underappreciated and pretty awesome. It was also very simple to play because each sheet is customized for the class and comes with everything your character can do in combat and outside of it, and it's simple enough that it can fit in a couple A4 sheets spells included without losing flavor, and it feels that each class is balanced so that they do something relevant in every encounter.

The spellcasting system has some things I like (smaller spell list with relevant spells thrown in earlier, so you still have prepared spellcasters but you only need 2 A4 sheets worth of paper instead of an entire book, which is appreciated in a one-shot or if you wanna try out a wiz, as well as cooler cantrips and racial abilities like detect magic as a cantrip) and others I dislike (needing to pass a check every time you cast a spell, and partial successes having the ability to fuck you up in the long term) but come with the baggage of retroclones and are ultimately necessary for balance.

In the end the big bad evil guy of the week got pissed off by something Gunnar did to his precious relic from his deceased beloved with a hammer and went even more berserk at him and started trying to crush his fucking face in with the pommel of his sword, not even thinking anymore, so in the end it was a contest to see who of the two was crazier and luckily, he and the rest of the party barely came on top, lamenting only the need to grab a new helmet and getting some badass facial scars that he's sure the chicks from the tribes of the north will dig.

My only criticism of the game is that lacking initiative, it's a bit DM and case sensitive like always, and it's a bit hard to keep up with when you can defend with an action and when you can, so I miss a solid action economy backbone upon which to rely upon, but otherwise it's a solid game worth a try. It does have its issues and sometimes feels too simple, but in the end, it's still swords and sorcery and fun if you have a DM that's willing to go the extra mile for it.

P.S. I now want to bring Gunnar to life in a long term campaign in Pathfinder or 5e. He's fun to roleplay, even if he's a tad annoying for the straight laced wizards, clerics or paladins.
    Last edited by Optimus; June 15th, 2018 at 08:04 PM.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I love Dungeon World. It's what I was GMing before I started with D&D. I love how it emphasizes a more narrative approach compared to D&D, though I like D&D too.

The rolls aren't to decide the probability of success, like D&D's, which tries to model a sort of game physics. It's more like a meta wind vane for plot, deciding if something good or bad happens next. It doesn't need to be linked to the actual action that prompted the roll. That way you always have something happening and driving the story forward. It's also super simple and perfect for play by post games... . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    Is there a point at which I should start making up a character for a later game?
    No, not until a group is assembled. I suppose I might set something up in the future where you just make a character and come in already prepared, but right now we only make characters after we get together.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Would you be fine with some character ideas thrown your way though, mAc?

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Dungeon World sounds interesting, and it sounds like a simple RPG idea I had: the base is just a bunch of skills you have - swordplay, climbing, etc. and everything you need to roll for is a skill check (or series of skill checks) to see the outcome. The DM should rarely need to roll because monsters etc just respond to the player's roll (good roll = monster gets hit, bad roll = monster hits player) and combat would be as simple as 'x successes needed to stop the monster' vs 'you can fail y times before being knocked out'.

I thought of this because my current campaign used a similar system for getting starting equipment/wealth for our characters - the DM would describe a situation our characters were in, we'd say how we responded to it and roll to see the results. It was pretty fun and the two newer players we had really liked it for being so simple.

All I really need is a list of skills and work out the dice to use and how to scale bonuses. Then I can addsome other stuff I thought of like a way to balance risk - like making a check that is less likely to harm you, but also has a smaller payoff, ie choosing when you make an attack whether a mixed success results in a mutual blow or neither side being hit.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Would you be fine with some character ideas thrown your way though, mAc?

Sure, go ahead and PM me. Though I am surprised you already have some. Not that that's bad.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Dungeon World sounds interesting, and it sounds like a simple RPG idea I had: the base is just a bunch of skills you have - swordplay, climbing, etc. and everything you need to roll for is a skill check (or series of skill checks) to see the outcome. The DM should rarely need to roll because monsters etc just respond to the player's roll (good roll = monster gets hit, bad roll = monster hits player) and combat would be as simple as 'x successes needed to stop the monster' vs 'you can fail y times before being knocked out'.

I thought of this because my current campaign used a similar system for getting starting equipment/wealth for our characters - the DM would describe a situation our characters were in, we'd say how we responded to it and roll to see the results. It was pretty fun and the two newer players we had really liked it for being so simple.

All I really need is a list of skills and work out the dice to use and how to scale bonuses. Then I can addsome other stuff I thought of like a way to balance risk - like making a check that is less likely to harm you, but also has a smaller payoff, ie choosing when you make an attack whether a mixed success results in a mutual blow or neither side being hit.
    In Dungeon World, the DM makes no rolls at all (well, aside from damage). He just poses situations to the players and when they react, they roll if it warrants it. So it's kind of like that, yeah.

Actually, I wrote about it a bit in an old blog post: http://blogs.nrvnqsr.com/entry.php/3...-kinds-of-RPGs

Check the storygame section, that's basically Dungeon World.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I'll check that out when I get home.

I wasn't sure about DW, but I thought even rolling damage waas unnessecary. The success/failure system can easily take the place of hit points, hell it can BE hitpoints with success/failure just being 1 hp damage (or more from particularly dangerous foes).

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's a very moddable system. For my friend's birthday, I ran a game of Conan the Barbarian, but using a fusion of FATE and Dungeon World I improvised on the spot to make them both simpler and require less set up.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Risis is my zero-prep, instant-setup system of choice.

I'd love to try things like FATE, but my group of players don't really play tabletop to work out their creative storytelling muscles. They just want top kick doors, bash monsters, get phat loot, and pretend being murderhobos is badass.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Fighting Fantasy with a few house rules is my go-to system for quick, improvised setups. If I have the time to actually prep things, I like using WEG's old D6 System - unless it's for a super-hero (or similarly-powered) game, in which case I use Mayfair's old DC Heroes game.

Blog Entries
    If any of you get a chance to play a Pathfinder Society game do so, but know that the module designers don't pull their punches when it comes to combat, especially for level 1s. The levels 1-3 fiasco where you live or die is real, doubly so given how prohitively high the cost for a raise dead is, and although we haven't had a single character death in a few sessions, save or suck paralysis effects and/or rapid fire/point blank shot enemies have brought us very close to it.

Also, due to how varied the tables can be, you can't afford to fully specialize either. Someone who's very good at social situations will shine very often but in exploration/combat based modules like the last one, Lem the bard was a fucking drag if not for their bardic inspiration, and characters who conversely are amazing in combat yet poor in social situations may struggle to contribute sometimes. To me, the key are traits and skills, even for the Half-Orc Fighter. That and wand of cure light wounds. I wish more people would purchase that.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    You’re about to be playing in a different society soon.

*dread intensifies*

Blog Entries

You know I can't wait.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    DarkMAN, Zurvan, and Optimus, check your PMs.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Is there no fourth member in that group?
    Last edited by Draconic; June 24th, 2018 at 06:19 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

*dread intensifies multiplicatively*

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Is there no fourth member in that group?
    That much is unclear; figuring out scheduling is the first step.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    GGs! Hope you guys had fun.