View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 175 of 242 FirstFirst ... 75125165170173174175176177180185225 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    That was my thought as well. I had no idea they came out of the blue.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Then suddenly they're an organisation to be spoken of in the same breath as the Harpers and the Zhents, who've dominated FR storytelling since the beginning? They're sending agents (and giving them settled positions) not just out of Vilhon, and not just to the Eastern Heartlands (which are, at least, still on the Sea of Fallen Stars), but to Waterdeep and Neverwinter and parts farther North? That's more than two thousand miles away from their homeland. It's a massive and weird change of direction: it feels like they really could have used some other organisation, or made one up, rather than take on the Enclave and alter them this much.
    That's in 5E, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there still a campaign guide for the Realms now that they're the main setting? I'm curious about the current status of some of my old favourite realms and gods.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    The main book is the Sword Coast Guide.

Also is it just me, or are the Harpers villains? They just decide they can go run around overthrowing any government and do it from behind the scenes like some sort of Forgotten Realms CIA.

Then again that's not that different from adventurers...

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Thanks, Mac! I'll see if I can try and catch up.

As for the Harpers, they were supposed to be one of the few unambiguously Good forces in the Realms, but I think I remember some books trying to show they also had some moral greyness to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Time to set up a game where the adventures plunder all the riches of a kingdom aye

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga
    With no knowledge of lore prior to 5E, my thought with its factions was that they appeared to be set out to appeal to specific classes so that players would be interested in them. I'm guessing the Emerald Enclave was used because they wanted something that Rangers and Druids would want to join, and the name was evocative enough to fit the bill. Since I don't know what other organizations Faerun has, I don't know if there were any that would appear as compelling to new players.
    See, traditionally, this would just have been the Harpers. Bards, druids, and rangers are the three Harper classes (despite Elminster, Khelben, et al. making everyone think of mages) and protecting the wilderness from untrammelled explotation was a consistent feature of their mission statement.

I presume they felt they wanted to split out a nature-themed organisation and a rogueish-but-good organisation for AL purposes, to give them more clear and singular identities, but it's kinda off when you're aware of the history.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    That's in 5E, right?
    Yeah, although it's mostly in the adventures and AL rather than much explored in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide proper.

Is there still a campaign guide for the Realms now that they're the main setting? I'm curious about the current status of some of my old favourite realms and gods.
    Eh, main setting's a bit of a reach. Official adventures mostly take place there (although Curse of Strahd and the Eberron AL line took us away from that), but 5e is quite explicit that there's no "default" setting beyond the D&D multiverse as a whole. The SCAG is the only real setting material for FR and, as the name suggests, only deals with one area in much detail. There's some generic setting material (Time & Calendar, the gods, the Weave, all stuff you'd know about since 1e), and about half-a-dozen pages on the rest of the Realms (mostly "yes, we promise we reset it all after the 4e nonsense"), but the bulk of the description just for the North and the Western Heartlands. If you want to know what's going on south of Nashkel, west of the Moonshaes, or in Anauroch or anywhere eastwards, you're mostly out of luck. (Although Chult, of all areas, got the Tomb of Annihilation adventure and accompanying AL season, so those provide some resources if you're interested in the peninsula).

Also is it just me, or are the Harpers villains? They just decide they can go run around overthrowing any government and do it from behind the scenes like some sort of Forgotten Realms CIA.

I'm not sure even Greenwood himself has been terribly consistent with the Harpers' characterisation, never mind all the other authors of the Realms. Certainly toward the end of 2e, there was a question hanging in the air in-universe as to whether the Harpers were doing honest work, partly prompting Khelben's breakaway with the assistance, or at least willingness to stand aside, of other senior good Harpers.

I think it's best to think of them as trying to be good - they don't seek reward, profit, fame, or any other selfish motive like that; nor do they promote torture, cruelty, or savagery - and noting that they assume larger states inevitably fall to tyranny (and do far worse damage than smaller ones in the process). While evil states, organisations, and leaders therefore need to be vigorously opposed, growing and vigorous good states tend to just see Harper attention and support withdrawn to elsewhere. At need, they might support local rights, empowerment, and decentralisation against the central authority. One of the notable cases was Azoun IV of Cormyr, where the Harpers judged him good and understanding enough to tell him that they were doing this, and both sides tried to avoid escalating matters too far in one direction or the other.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

There's some generic setting material (Time & Calendar, the gods, the Weave, all stuff you'd know about since 1e), and about half-a-dozen pages on the rest of the Realms (mostly "yes, we promise we reset it all after the 4e nonsense"), [...]
    Well, "reset". They brought back a lot of stuff, like Unther and Gilgeam (though, to be fair, it was the 1st-to-2nd-edition transition which did away with those), but they also kept Midnight!Mystra's death and the Spellplague, for instance.
    The book is kinda disappointing. I know it's mostly focused on the Sword Coast, but even then it feels too sparse.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget chapter 3 of Storm King's Thunder. That's got you covered for the Savage Frontier, leaps and bounds better than the whole of SCAG.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    See, traditionally, this would just have been the Harpers. Bards, druids, and rangers are the three Harper classes (despite Elminster, Khelben, et al. making everyone think of mages) and protecting the wilderness from untrammelled explotation was a consistent feature of their mission statement.

I presume they felt they wanted to split out a nature-themed organisation and a rogueish-but-good organisation for AL purposes, to give them more clear and singular identities, but it's kinda off when you're aware of the history.

Wow, I had no idea. The impression I got of the Harper's is that they were for Wizards and maybe Clerics, based on being about information and fairness.

I looked up the factions and they actually explicitly link classes to each faction:

Emerald Enclave: Druids, Barbarians and Rangers
    Harper's: Wizards and Bards
    Lord's Alliance: Bards, Paladins, Fighters and Sorcerers (???)
    Order of the Gauntlet: Paladins, Monks and Clerics
    Zhentarim: Rogues and Warlocks

So yeah, the Enclave is THE druid/ranger faction in 5E and the Harpers on intelligence gathering. Feels like maybe they should have created a new faction for Wizards rather than putting them in the Harpers and booting out the nature classes.

Also I like how the Harpers make a big deal about using spies but only the Zhentarim name-drops Rogues. If you're a Rogue you're either a thief or an assassin apparently!

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    The main book is the Sword Coast Guide.

I mean, they were always an odd bird as far as morality goes. On the one hand, they're dedicated to the Good of the Realms; on the other hand, they're extremely secretive, fractious, and involved in more oddball plots than you can shake a stick at.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    So far I've run them as more grey Kiritsugu types. Good goals but willing to go to extreme ends if necessary.

Yeah, that's a fair representation.

One interesting thing about the Harper Bards (unless 5E changed that, too) is that they tend to be (if not mechanically, at least conceptually) holdovers from 1st Edition's version of the class, which used druidic magic and are just as much teachers and lorekeepers as wandering minstrels. I suspect that's why 3rd Edition had the Fochluchan Lyrist prestige class, and I also suspect that much like the Ranger class was changed to better fit Drizzt's mold, the Bard class became quite a bit more Roguish from 2nd Edition forward thanks to Storm Silverhand (who was actually an exception among Bards, since she went the Rogue -> Fighter -> Druid path instead of the usual Fighter -> Rogue -> Druid one).

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    The Harpers are either really shady, or really dumb:
    The Harpers has the following beliefs:

One can never have too much information or magical secrets.
    Too much power leads to corruption, and the possible abuse of magic must be watched.
    Knowledge is power, after all.

Blog Entries
    Everyone's favorite plane-hopping lich-god Vecna has begun to subvert the Harpers.

Discuss.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

Knowledge is power, guard it well.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    GGs, canaki, tang, five, pai, mcjon!

Only one group left...

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "GG" stands for "Gaem Gaem"
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Now that sounds like a group I'd read the transcripts of.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    ARK OF HOPE GAMES ~> COMPLETE. Finally, all of them are done, after like eight months.

I hereby lift the ban on talking about its contents. You can post about it with anyone anywhere openly.

The final group was Seika, Bridge, and Nil. GG!

You can post about it with anyone anywhere

o-oh