View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 134 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3484124129132133134135136139144184234 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    just rolled up a new character for tomorrow's session

I'm finally playing a Bard, which has always been on the to-do list since there is so many appealing things about them

but god damn, the spell selection is so hard! trying to be thematic, but also pick spells I will actually use, but the situational spells are so tempting with "but if that situation ever comes up, i will look SO COOL"

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    shoot for the stars
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    i've changed my final spell choice like 5 times in the past five minutes

i'll just settle on Heat Metal

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Almost as good as Death Metal, but you're not high enough level to cast that yet.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    i didnt use heat metal once gdi

My Bard's backstory: he's a young (31) member of the vistani, a performer and musician who has travelled barovia and fell in love with a woman named Illyena. He made a pact at the crossroads with a devil to gain great musical talent, but when the time came to give up his soul, Illyena sacrificed herself to spare him. This is represented in my Magic Initiate: Warlock feat, where I have two cantrips as vestiges of my pact and Protection From Evil and Good representing Illyena's protection (her spirit appears to embrace the target of the spell when I cast it). Mashed up Faust, Harry Potter and the Devil Went Down To Georgia for funsies.

that was another intense session. My character and the Rogue's replacement character were introduced (a champion fighter since he didn't create a new one himself) and quickly joined the party.

We started sussing out the Hag's windmill to see if either character's body or equipment were left outside, and recovered the Cleric's equipment. At this time, the Cleric found a weird patch of air that felt "viscous" and so I pushed him through it. He ended up on the ethereal plane, but had trouble communicating with us - any changes he made in the ethereal plane took five minutes to appear in the material world. Neither of us could find the portal after that, and I thought I had accidentally gotten rid of ANOTHER character. The new fighter managed to find the entrance (the portal kept drifting) and we went in.

The Cleric had gone ahead, and struck up a conversation with Lester, some weird entity in a barrel in the hag's lair. He wanted to make a pact, which the Cleric thought was legit. Once we caught up, the Barbarian and Fighter decided to sign his 'accord' to get assistance rescuing the rogue and children held upstairs, and each were given a temporary Dretch minion. The Cleric was going to make a pact, but his holy symbol burned him before he signed it. Given my backstory, I was sitting here going "this is a baaaaaaad idea, srsly does not work out".

We travelled upstairs, to find the two remaining hags were on the material plane and didn't notice us. Continuing further up, we found the children and rogue on the top floor, unguarded. Since it took a while for changes to be reflected on the material plane, and I had already tested that changing something and putting it back in time didn't change the material plane, I came up with a plan: make a hole in the thatch walls of the top floor, exit the ethereal plane through the portal, then send the dretches to distract the hags while the fighter scales the outside of the windmill and rescues the characters through the hole.

Unfortunately, we didn't make it out before the hole appeared in the material plane, and the hags shifted into the ethereal plane and cut off our portal. I thought we were screwed - at-will magic missile, stronger claw attacks, and everyone but the fighter and I were out of resources. But thanks to my Protection From Evil and Good (I picked that as a flavour choice!) the Barbarian actually tanked the hags without his rage, and I used Cutting Words to keep the Fighter up as long as I could and Healing Word whack-a-mole after I ran out of that.

Funny moment - the barb and fighter order their dretches to attack, and the fighter tells it "do you have some sort of super move? use that!"

So it used a poison cloud on the hag that was in melee range of the fighter and barb, poisoning all of them. It actually really hurt the hag, which was nice, but the lack of reactions from the poison meant i couldn't use Dissonant Whispers

Eventually, we very narrowly won and retrieved some weird stone from them. We realized during the fight that we probably couldn't get back if we killed them, but decided Lester would help for a price. He, in fact, could help us get back to the material plane if someone became his Warlock. The fighter instantly agreed, seeing no downside to this. Lester gave his new Warlock a one-time use of identify, and we found out that the stone allowed us to return to the material plane. After we did so, the stone's last charge was expended and it crumbled.

At which point we realized we could have figured that out with a short rest, and didn't need Lester's help at all. Classic devil deal. The Rogue got his original player back, so the Fighterlock is taking the rescued children back to the starting village while we continue on our quest. I'm really happy we got to finish those hags, and our DM told us that they hadn't taken the time to heal from their last encounter during our short rest because they were working on creating a third sister - if we'd waited long enough for them to do that, they'd be a full coven again and we'd be screeeeeeewed.

I think I'm going to stick with the Bard, instead of my revived Blood Hunter (who is currently in the town we're going to). It's a lot of fun, and there's so much flavour in being one of the Vistani.
    Last edited by Saiga; November 4th, 2017 at 06:50 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    > run D&D on my friend's birthday
    > his character dies

welp

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    > run D&D on my friend's birthday
    > his character dies

welp
    "Happy Birthday, you get to roll a new character?"
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We actually resumed the wolves campaign!

Also, Thorn Whip is one hell of a cantrip! You can pull people into holes, pull them out of range of stuff, pull them out of grapples (cover may apply), throw them into the air, fetch objects...

...We keep calling it Vine Whip, though.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    So do we, aldea, so do we

And yeah it's pretty dope. I wish more cantrips or abilities were as simple and useful as that

When I DM'd a campaign for my sister and her friends she pulled someone off a bridge they were underneath and immediately horrified herself with the effectiveness of it

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    "Happy Birthday, you get to roll a new character?"
    giant spiders are up there with wolves in PC killing

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Essential components of any fantasy rolepaying group:

-The player who brings exactly the same swishy elf character to every table; 50% chance of wizard, 50% chance of bard, 100% chance of banging a dragon before the campaign is done.

-The player who favours dwarves because they’re uncomfortable with speaking in character and dwarves aren’t expected to have personalities.

-The player who thinks they’re cleverly subverting expectations by playing their halfling as a bloodthirsty, sexually promiscuous drug fiend, unaware that - thanks to players like them - literally 80% of all halfling player characters are like that.

-The player who designs their character purely for novelty value - like, this time they’re a giant telepathic praying mantis, or whatever - yet inexplicably manages to have the deepest character arc out of anyone.

-The player whose character’s stats honestly don’t matter because their real contribution to the party is being the only adult in the room.

tag yourself I'm 1

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Every character I make has stacked dex and cha and uses some form of rapier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Dwarves are expected to have the Gimli personality.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    90% of the time I play the same mercenary minded dual wielding rogue. Every other instance is a gimmick I wanted to try, like a fanatical cleric on a team with a necromancer, or a werewolf wizard with the proper feats letting him carry a 17-20 X4 crit scythe as his staff.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    1 is my best friend, except instead of 100% chance of banging a dragon it's starting fights in extremely OOC ways

He's always making characters who are wise, peaceful and lawful... but in practice he is always the first to resort to intimidation and violence

I'm similar except instead of violence every character ends up scathing and sarcastic regardless of what I originally envisioned, and i end up trying to be the party face regardless of my charisma

The other players I've had don't really fit any type. Well, aside from the edgelord and (previously) the Main Character.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    From what little I played (3 out of 3 Paladins dying aw yiss) I end up as the "adult in the room" character.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    In D&D-based games I'm often Charisma based Sorcerers or Paladins and I like to romanticize my situation as much as possible (pursue beautiful NPCs, always favor swords, ect)

VtM I'm the last one because I was the Brujah that forced other players to stop overthinking things by somewhat Leeroy Jenkins-ing into situations

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I want to be the fourth so bad but invariably end up as the fifth.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    In D&D-based games I'm often Charisma based Sorcerers or Paladins and I like to romanticize my situation as much as possible (pursue beautiful NPCs, always favor swords, ect)

VtM I'm the last one because I was the Brujah that forced other players to stop overthinking things by somewhat Leeroy Jenkins-ing into situations
    My group gets really weird about any romance so that's a no-go for me

Mac... playing Paladins?!

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    it is a fate i cannot escape