View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 1 of 240 12361151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Tabletop Games Thread

Here's the D&D thread. My Druid Mage that rides a Dire eagle and had a Blink Dog familiar just got electrocuted by a Chimera after escaping from a banshee that some party members new about but didn't tell us and decided to sleep in the tower anyways.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    What about 5th edition. It's supposed to be like what people remember 2E being like, except for real.

Do you play with a school group or something?
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    What about 5th edition. It's supposed to be like what people remember 2E being like, except for real.
    I playtested 5e for years, while it was still "D&D Next". Haven't had a chance to play the official finalized 5th Edition since life got busy but I am sure it's equally great.

D&D 4e was my introduction to tabletop RPGs, and while it was very easy to pick up I realized how valid the criticisms were after getting some experience. A lot of official (textual) support for role-playing got removed or over-simplified in favor of tons of tactical RPG-like mechanics. As a result, official adventures/campaigns felt too combat-focused, with frequent and difficult monster encounters.

WotC realized this later on and you coudl see them moving away from it with later D&D Encounters mini-campaigns (weekly events) and the Essentials line of books. But 5e really brought it back to a more 2e feeling where the players aren't so governed/constrained by rules. There are far fewer calculations in 5e compared to 4e and 3.5e.

Basically in 4e, if you wanted to have a good role-playing game, all of that burden was on the personality of the players and the planning/style of the DM. The books themselves didn't have that much lore info. But it was fun, from a video gamer or wargamers' perspective. Which, understandably, is not what most tabletop role-players are looking for. I was fortunate to start with a fantastic D&D Encounters group of actually normal people and not stereotypical neckbeards.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Moony avoided becoming fish food in our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eriko View Post
    Normally DM's would have you reroll any 1s.

- - - Updated - - -

And now I chill and wait because I just quadposted...
    I feel like if you're going to go with rolling stats, then you shouldn't back out if you get a bad roll. It's part of the package. Otherwise it just turns into a shitty point buy.

That said, you can try to do damage control by changing the dice you roll or what bonuses you add. I heard 2d6+4 is good. But even then you always have the chance of somebody rolling all 8's and 9's.

In a way that's better for highly lethal games where the bad stats can just get killed off and you can roll a new guy. Unless you aren't particularly bothered by low stats or use that for your roleplaying.

Still in 5e I think standard array is probably best. You get a pre-set array of numbers that you distribute. Something like 15, 13, 12, 10, 9, 8. Everybody gets the same spread and can redistribute.

I'm still deciding. That grid method looks cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    I playtested 5e for years, while it was still "D&D Next". Haven't had a chance to play the official finalized 5th Edition since life got busy but I am sure it's equally great.
    The promise of a streamlined D&D that tried to recapture the feel of the older editions is what finally convinced me to start playing. I'd been aware of 4E and 3.5/PF for years but always looked askance at the dozens and dozens of extra books and rigid rules I'd have to shoulder just to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Although one day I /want/ to be able to play as a straight-faced, non-nonsensical warrior who's too old for this shit.
    lool this is what i was gonna do for my 9 CHA paladin

aldayeah's "loveable but foolish" idea sounds good too though so im gonna switch that 9 for a 16.

also check this out

some guy made a "real life to D&D stats" calculator to determine your stats if you were a D&D character

http://www.kevinhaw.com/add_quiz.php

MY RESULTS:

STR: 9
    INT: 16
    WIS: 16
    DEX: 9
    CON: 6
    CHA: 15
    Last edited by mAc Chaos; June 26th, 2015 at 02:57 AM.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    MY RESULTS:

STR: 9
    INT: 16
    WIS: 16
    DEX: 9
    CON: 6
    CHA: 15
    CON 6? You're the squishiest mage ever.
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    CON 6? You're the squishiest mage ever.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I played in highschool, and am still playing with the same group. My DM calls it ED&D. it's a cross between 2e and 3.5 and very detailed. so since I know off both editions I put both editions in the thread.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Oh, so he basically made his own version. Neat.

I just started playing last December. Which made me realize I should've started playing years and years ago. I could have had all those years of terrible awkward games everybody tells stories about later. Ah, the possibilities.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    All my characters are high optimization but I keep getting killed for the stupidest reaseons. destroyed a church and failed a will save got knocked out cops took my invis ring and my empowered brootch of non detect I was only level six but due to specialization I cast lighting bolt as a level 10. later I destroyed a fortress while I was inside and killed the entire party when it collapsed on us.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Me and my current DM have this little game where I make a wizard and he tries to make him useless.
    don't quote me on this

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Pathfinder is the only true way to play.

Currently have a Sorc/Bard Half-elf noblewoman @ lv 6 in one game and a lv 2 Barbarian half-giant in another.
    Last edited by Christemo; June 18th, 2015 at 10:58 AM.

Blog Entries
    Turns out if you want to make level 1 players run you don't need stats, you just need to show them glimpses of a model roughly four times the size of their characters accompanied with roar sound effects.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Turns out if you want to make level 1 players run you don't need stats, you just need to show them glimpses of a model roughly four times the size of their characters accompanied with roar sound effects.
    Not my group. We met a Beholder at Lvl 1 and tried to kill it. Then again, "murder it!" was pretty much our whole MO that module, including the suspicious looking scenery.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Not my group. We met a Beholder at Lvl 1 and tried to kill it. Then again, "murder it!" was pretty much our whole MO that module, including the suspicious looking scenery.
    So how long did it take to roll up your new characters.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So how long did it take to roll up your new characters.
    Actually the DM was so flabbergasted that we, as level one's attacked a level ten monster that he just stared off into space at our stupidity. He then had the beholder interrogate us as it was working towards the same goal we were. It let us go, but we didn't get cavalry against the dungeon boss.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haseo Nanaya View Post
    All my characters are high optimization but I keep getting killed for the stupidest reaseons. destroyed a church and failed a will save got knocked out cops took my invis ring and my empowered brootch of non detect I was only level six but due to specialization I cast lighting bolt as a level 10. later I destroyed a fortress while I was inside and killed the entire party when it collapsed on us.
    Sounds like your dice don't like you. I suggest coaxing them to your side or buy new dice. As silly as it sounds, sweet-talk them and infuse luck/will into them.

Back when I used to play, I was infamous with my group for coaxing the dice to my side. Usually it was just my dice. I got Crit.s most of the time. I almost once wiped out the PC party, playing as an NPC (in a friend's non-DnD game), with a tennis racket because I kept getting Crit.s

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Sounds similar to my old group. We were pretty insane when it came to playing. Even making characters... I think we made half-monster characters once...

I used to play mostly 2nd & 3rd ed. but I think we tried 4th. I still have my books but I don't really play anymore.
    I liked to play rogues and druids. I think I might've played a monk once... I'd have to find my old sheets to know for sure.

#OwO#

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunara_Ishi View Post
    Sounds like your dice don't like you. I suggest coaxing them to your side or buy new dice. As silly as it sounds, sweet-talk them and infuse luck/will into them.
    Yeah just put a piece of cheese on a mousetrap and watch the dice roll themselves.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunara_Ishi View Post
    Sounds like your dice don't like you.
    Really? To me it more sounds like what someone who has vaguely heard of D&D would say.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    Yeah just put a piece of cheese on a mousetrap and watch the dice roll themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Really? To me it more sounds like what someone who has vaguely heard of D&D would say.
    I'm sorry that you guys took offense to that. I didn't mean it as an insult or anything. I have learned that some dice roll better than others. Some are just jinxed and will roll bad rolls no matter what.

"..." I played for 6+ years... -.-;
    ~~~~~~~~~~

On a different tangent: do you guys play online, tabletop, or both?
    I keep hearing about the online versions but it just doesn't seem the same to me.

#OwO#

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ;_;