View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 149 of 242 FirstFirst ... 4999139144147148149150151154159199 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I really liked 4th Edition and I think it's a shame so many weren't willing to even give it the benefit of the doubt. It's the only D&D edition I've played and GM'ed for a significant amount of time I actually liked.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    It's D&D 5e. Look at the google doc.

I guess theoretically games I run in the future don't have to be 5e though. To comment on what canaki said earlier, there's actually a ton of other systems out there and they all have a presence online. Some are even very similar to the pbp systems people make here, diceless and all. D&D is just the big gorilla in the room. FATE, Paranoia, Amber, and Dungeon World are some I like.

Thanks Trubo, it actually came up last night. I decided the adamantine process itself is what is Uncommon, like silvering being 100 gp (the equivalent of a common magic item).
    Also, if you go the common magic item route, Cast-Off, Gleaming, and Smoldering would give you options for getting Half-Plate and Full Plate for 100 GP.

But that aside, I'm not talking about Adamantine Armor, as that's Rare. Mithral Armor is defined to be Uncommon in the DMG. Huh, they're both Uncommon items, didn't know that.
    Last edited by Trubo; May 15th, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Blog Entries
    To comment on what canaki said earlier, there's actually a ton of other systems out there and they all have a presence online. Some are even very similar to the pbp systems people make here, diceless and all. D&D is just the big gorilla in the room. FATE, Paranoia, Amber, and Dungeon World are some I like.
    This is all interesting to hear since I've only played a bunch of systems made in Japan in the past, and only heard of the few imported systems that are well known.
    Like say afaik Cthulhu and Paranoia are probably the most successful imported systems in this end of the world, along with D&D (probably 4th?). Never heard of FATE, Amber, or Dungeon World. Nice to know there's also a lot of systems over here too.
    FGO Supports (Last Update: 2019-08 Anniversary)

Quotes

<dyingcomputer> canaki <dyingcomputer> is the embodiment of notes

Quote Originally Posted by canaki View Post
    I stick to my opinion of Shinjuku = Higashide, Agartha = Minase, Shimousa = Sakurai, Salem = Meteo

(Since I'm repeating this a lot)

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    I really liked 4th Edition and I think it's a shame so many weren't willing to even give it the benefit of the doubt. It's the only D&D edition I've played and GM'ed for a significant amount of time I actually liked.
    I've thought of running that before as an experiment but I don't want to spend 8 hours fighting 4 goblins.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Also, if you go the common magic item route, Cast-Off, Gleaming, and Smoldering would give you options for getting Half-Plate and Full Plate for 100 GP.

But that aside, I'm not talking about Adamantine Armor, as that's Rare. Mithral Armor is defined to be Uncommon in the DMG. Huh, they're both Uncommon items, didn't know that.
    Ah. Anything like that, I'd take the base value and just add the value of the magic item. So adding the "cast off" property would be 100 gp, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by canaki View Post
    This is all interesting to hear since I've only played a bunch of systems made in Japan in the past, and only heard of the few imported systems that are well known.
    Like say afaik Cthulhu and Paranoia are probably the most successful imported systems in this end of the world, along with D&D (probably 4th?). Never heard of FATE, Amber, or Dungeon World. Nice to know there's also a lot of systems over here too.
    Cthulu is pretty popular here, along with Star Wars.

Oh, Dungeon Crawl Classics is another favorite of mine, as well as Palladium. DCC takes the dungeon crawl factor to an extreme, where you roll up 4 characters and keep the one that actually survives as your main one. It's fun to play when I want to just set something quick up with some friends casually, but it also has a very developed system for long term play. Palladium lets you play out Arthurian mythos and fantasy, and is a generational game; you play the father, then son, then his son, then his son, etc.

I'll tell you what, Canaki, next time I'm at the game shop I'll take a picture of their tabletop section. You'll see how many books there are. It fills up the entire wall.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I've thought of running that before as an experiment but I don't want to spend 8 hours fighting 4 goblins.
    I'll be honest, at higher levels and using the original M&M monsters, fights can be a bit long, but that problem has been exaggerated.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; May 15th, 2018 at 06:38 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Also I just realized:

Gold armor + castoff

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

I'd be interested.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I'd be interested in a short length game, but I tend to really suck at dungeon crawls...

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Mac, I'm still in Germany until the end of the month, but I'd love to do this one shot if you run it when I get back! This looks amazing

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ah. Anything like that, I'd take the base value and just add the value of the magic item. So adding the "cast off" property would be 100 gp, etc.
    One more possible min/max question that I don't know if you've had to deal with yet. What restrictions do you impose on the item you can obtain from the Inheritor Background?

I know that for AL, you can't select an item that has a gold value greater than 75 GP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

マリーの味方
    I'd also be interested.

Oh, it seems I missed some things

I'd also be interested

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Good, good, keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    One more possible min/max question that I don't know if you've had to deal with yet. What restrictions do you impose on the item you can obtain from the Inheritor Background?

I know that for AL, you can't select an item that has a gold value greater than 75 GP.
    I would take it on a case by case basis; it would depend on what idea the player has, so I wouldn't want to make a general hard and fast rule without anybody actually being interested in it for their character. The Inheritor background is a very roleplay heavy background reliant on a concept the player has, so it's primary value is in the story telling potential it has. One could imagine it being anything from The One Ring to having a stipend. If someone was really just trying to squeeze out every mechanical aspect of it I'd probably just go with the AL rule.

But it's not like gold value is the same thing as the story value. There could be a relatively worthless item gold wise that is sought after by the villain of the campaign, for instance.

Never did DnD but I'd like to throw my hat into this.

Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    By the way, Mac, are you able to rate the combat/exploration/social pillars of the adventure? I had thought it'd be a dungeon crawl but it really looks like there's a lot of socisl stuff in the google doc.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    By the way, Mac, are you able to rate the combat/exploration/social pillars of the adventure? I had thought it'd be a dungeon crawl but it really looks like there's a lot of socisl stuff in the google doc.

I don't include things as options necessarily because they're required or optimal for the game. They're just there for flavor and setting atmosphere.

Who knows! It's like Stanley Kubrick. There might be nothing social, or it just might be an undead Congress in there.

Just focus on what you think is cool. It will all work out.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Actually, here's a question I thought of recently that would be useful to me.

When you guys make D&D characters (specifically), do you tend to dwell on concepts until you come up with a fully realized character? Or do you make more of skeleton of an idea that you then flesh out as you play on?

It depends on the D&D sessions , what kind of group you play with, as well as is it a long campaign or more of a one shot kind of deal

For the bigger/longer games, I tend to wait until I get inspired by something (usually a concept or particular personality), create a backstory and try to leave openings for the DM, so a bit of both?
    Generally I find it a bit difficult to rp something I'm not sure of, since I'd likely end up rping something close to myself.

Blog Entries
    I like to start out with a two-dimensional character and from there I try to flesh out the "person" aspect to make it multidimensional. Everyone knows what Indiana Jones would do when there's an artifact in the grasp of his hand or what Spiderman would do when there's someone who needs help. That kind of certainty about what your character would do makes it easier to play them, or at least to show what's in their minds when they have to make a difficult choice. Building around a core concept or idea about them helps me narrow down a lot their thought processes and ideas into something playable like "cowardly scoundrel who's deep down good", such as what you see in Nobby Nobbs. He won't be first in battle, doesn't mind resorting to cheap tricks/spells/whatever to get himself out of situations, can't be trusted with a dollar but you can trust him with your life.

That's the blueprint from which I build the rest. I have always liked to write down a personal ethics code of sorts for each character that defines what they will and won't do normally, what is their biggest dream/aspiration and what little stupid thing frightens their grown asses, such as superstitions, critters, certain race or certain kinds of behaviors. The times I haven't, that character ended up dead and very forgettable.

I did the skeleton thing for a while, but now I find the best approach for me is a mix of both, have certain things set from the start and then see how this character evolves depending on their personal experiences. A character that hasn't been on a game is kind of a blank slate in a sense, because each adventure is as close to a death experience as you can get, and invariably those are the sort of things that make you use your noodle. Perhaps all a Paladin needs to start not throwing themselves into each battle thinking their armor will keep them safe is being nearly killed in an ambush set by a thief who can be very creative about tripping you towards a fall of doom, or a Bard to see the fruits of his teacher's lessons saving his life to re-start his studies in the arcane with more discipline and effort than ever. I like characters that have leeway to evolve, learn from others and gain new aspects as they adventure while having something to lean on as well to make them be able to stand on their own as people, and not as stand-ins for me. I did that once with an EK and he died a disappointing death. On the other hand, once I learnt my lesson the rest of my characters have had memorable reactions and experiences.

You can do this for both one-shots and longer campaigns, albeit the longer you play the more noticeable these changes in personality and behavior will be. If you start at a higher level, you also need to come up with what kind of experiences and life justify them being badass mofos, considering that a Level 1 Fighter is already nothing short of an experienced war veteran or an officer in terms of skill. It depends on the person but I like a show don't tell approach, where rather than making long ass backstories I like to focus more on things to show about them, such as habits, likes or dislikes, or mementos/hints from star moments in their backstories.
    Last edited by Optimus; May 19th, 2018 at 04:21 PM.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes