View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 101 of 242 FirstFirst ... 51919699100101102103106111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Blog Entries
    Somehow, it's not my fault.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And it's only partly my fault!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Easily swayed.

Blog Entries
    Good Persuasion rolls.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Blog Entries
    I loved that History check. "I'll propose a bad skill because I think it's appropriate even if I'm not likely to get much out of it."

19-1=18.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    I like how dice hate me when I'm doing rolls for things I should be good at. This plagues me IRL, too. High damage roll, good! Followed by... middling CON save, abysmal Persuasion failure, and then I quietly sort of gave up on rolling anything.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    You should just use your Inspiration when you can.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    But then something important will come up, and I'll just be sitting here, the lemon who used his Inspiration to redo an attack

Blog Entries
    Still salty I forgot to suggest Inspiring that CON check.

Thinking about it, I wonder if Inspiring the Persuasion check's lower roll would have helped me pull it off. Probably not.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    All things considered it's actually a lot more fun that I failed it. It builds character! Kind of literally.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    But then something important will come up, and I'll just be sitting here, the lemon who used his Inspiration to redo an attack
    But if you hold onto it always waiting for the perfect chance, you'll just end up never using it!

That said, sometimes failure is more interesting anyway, like you pointed out.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

When I dm I always roll the exact opposite of what I want, too. Easy fights turn into one nat20 after the other and hard fights have everyone missing everything. The unpredictability of rolls makes it a lot more entertaining though, it makes for pretty good memes

The more I set myself up for a persuasion slamdunk the more likely I was to roll a 1.

Blog Entries
    Lace DMs? That feels ... odd to imagine. Interesting.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I groaned when Snow's first roll ever was a 1.

Oh yeah, to fix this Inspiration analysis paralysis, here is what we'll do: from now on, you always start every session with 1 Inspiration. It doesn't matter if you had -5 or 5000 before, it's going to be 1 the next session. Thus, there is no reason to save up for the long term. Each session's Inspiration only lives in that session.

This is actually the default way I do things but I didn't think of including it here til now.

This also applies to all my games, but I'll bring that up on my own if people don't see this.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Hang on, saving up inspiration? I guess you were using different rules to 5E's base?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I don't recall anything about Inspiration vanishing after a set period of time, so I assume most people just carry them over.

But yeah I've tinkered with the Inspiration rules many times to try and find the perfect cocktail of roleplaying encouragement mechanics. After cycling through many attempts, some explicitly tying using and gaining any Inspiration to acting on character traits/flaws/bonds/etc, I threw in the towel and decided to go back to just having people use them for anything, with the caveat that it resets back to 1 next session.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Inspiration lasts 10 minutes (I think) and you don't get multiple inspiration, you either have it or you don't.

edit: Correction, only bardic inspiration wears off after 10 minutes. The rule about not stockpiling inspiration is like I said though.
    Last edited by Saiga; November 6th, 2016 at 05:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    I wasn't saving mine. I just forgot I had it.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    So, for anyone else who has played 5E Barbarian - so Seika at least - how often do you use Reckless Attacks? I literally use it every round because advantage is so good, but when I've watched other people play online they rarely if ever use it.

Barbarians love their crits, and in addition to just hitting more often, advantage grants more crits as well. Since Barbarians tank with their health rather than their AC, the advantage against them seems like an easy trade-off for that power.

Am I just being careless?