View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 139 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3989129134137138139140141144149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    you asked for this five
    I did, and it is good. Thank you!

It's interesting to me, how D&D is ostensibly, or at least popularly, "medieval (European) fantasy" when it seems more to take place in an analogue to the early Renaissance, yet with distinctly post-Westphalian concepts and structure. The strange union of late feudal polities and modern-lens political and military writing is unique and in its own way charming.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Are Paladins generally considered representatives of law and justice, free to be judge, jury, and executioner with that trust invested in them, or are they more like freelancing good guys like the rest of the classes?
    From what I remember of most D&D settings, they're freelancers unless they belong to specific organisations which are generally limited in scope and / or area of influence, such as the Knights of Solamnia.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    Congrats dude! My last campaign kind fell apart because the players moved all over the country, some were to busy to play while others simply lost the passion for it which was a shame really. On the other hand I'll be DM'ing for a new group and taking place in the Critical Role setting.

So for something inspired by KanColle, how did it all conclude?
    It would take too long to summarize the whole sequence of events, but anyway: They destroyed Yathaiocta, the Lovecraftian monstrosity whose emanations allowed shipgirls and all sorts of weird stuff to exist. The "final boss" was IJN Satsuki, who had been the PCs' main NPC ally throughout the whole campaign, and she basically got them to do everything she needed to complete her plot to kill herself and all other things born of Yathaiocta. Only two shipgirls survived: HMS Cyclops, who the PCs liked a lot and went through great efforts to protect, and IJN Kisaragi, who basically blackmailed her sister into ensuring she survived at the end.

It was pretty ridiculous, but having "bullshit alien abomination powers" at hand allowed me to come up with all sorts of different challenges, and some very spectacular encounters.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I did, and it is good. Thank you!

It's interesting to me, how D&D is ostensibly, or at least popularly, "medieval (European) fantasy" when it seems more to take place in an analogue to the early Renaissance, yet with distinctly post-Westphalian concepts and structure. The strange union of late feudal polities and modern-lens political and military writing is unique and in its own way charming.
    D&D has always been more of a fantasy analogue of the American Wild West with medieval trappings.

Paladin = Lone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    From what I remember of most D&D settings, they're freelancers unless they belong to specific organisations which are generally limited in scope and / or area of influence, such as the Knights of Solamnia.
    Yeah, after comparing it to Faerun itself and how I've treated them implicitly during my games, that's the answer I arrived at. They're more like superheroes; good guys that work on their own but help law enforcement.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    KT is a rolling god

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Reminds me of a game where I was trying to climb over a wall. Only needed to roll an 8, failed 5 times in a row, 2 times so bad that I knocked the wind out of myself falling down, wasting a turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Gdi

One of the homebrew subclasses I was working on was basically done in January's Unearthed Arcana

I was making a 'Circle of Decay' and they came out with 'Circle of Spores' and tied it to mushrooms for much more thematic fit

I just wanted my blight droods...

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I swear, my rolls are cursed. Every time.

Blog Entries
    Heeey, Firestorm Peak's 5e canon.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quick question, folks: anyone here still plays the old Star Wars D6 system, or any of the other D6 System games?

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I played ye olde SW D6 last year (as a player).
    don't quote me on this

マリーの味方
    Started playing 5e with a bunch of online friends using roll20. Only did their tutorial campaign so far, and we are all new to tabletop in general so we had no idea what we were doing. I also had to DM because nobody else wanted to.

It was fun. Will probably start Lost Mine of Phandelver next with custom characters rather than premade ones.

- - - Updated - - -

do sort of wish I could make my own character, but I heard DMing and having a custom PC is a bad idea

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Started playing 5e with a bunch of online friends using roll20. Only did their tutorial campaign so far, and we are all new to tabletop in general so we had no idea what we were doing. I also had to DM because nobody else wanted to.

It was fun. Will probably start Lost Mine of Phandelver next with custom characters rather than premade ones.

- - - Updated - - -

do sort of wish I could make my own character, but I heard DMing and having a custom PC is a bad idea
    If there's room for one more, any chance I can join in? Been in too many groups that just quit playing after one or two sessions.
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

マリーの味方
    Potentially, yeah. I'll keep you updated though as one of our guys just flew to Vietnam and will be staying there for a month for family reasons, and we haven't figured out what time exactly is best yet.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Cool beans. Just shoot me a PM when you get more info.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! LMOP is great. It's my favorite 5e adventure because it gives you a strong skeleton to work with, but leaves enough blanks that you can flesh them out and make them your own.

Yeah, you don't want to make any DMPCs. It creates a lot of problems that are best avoided, especially for a new Dungeon Master. You could have an "adviser NPC" or a sidekick type of person, as most adventures do, but I would avoid having a character that lets you get your "player experience" at the same time since it just doesn't work.

Mainly since it can create conflict of interest or perceptions of favoritism. It can be hard to separate what the character knows from yourself, and the other players might be subconsciously motivated to just follow that character because they think as the DM's character what they decide is truer than their own decisions.

Note that this is different than just having an NPC in the story that the players get attached to and pull along with them. That happens all the time. What you don't want to do is deliberately set out with the mindset of "I want to play in my own game as a player so I'll create a player character while I DM."

If you really hanker to play, then you want to wait for someone else to finally DM, or find a different group to be the player in. When you finally do get to play, make sure to leave your own DMing attitudes at the door, or you'll be disappointed at how the other DM doesn't do things the way you would do them.

As for not knowing what you're doing, that's part of the fun for everyone when you start out. Don't worry about getting everything "right," as long as everyone's having fun then that's what matters. Figuring out all of the rules and little ins and outs of the game will be something you progress on session by session.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Also you'll find that you just can't devote enough time to a DMPC to get the same enjoyment from them.

If timezones would permit, I'd be happy to DM for a few of you though. I haven't used roll20 before though.

マリーの味方
    I mean, I'd be interested, as I'd like to experience being a player.

Roll20 is pretty easy to pick-up I think, but I'm not sure how it compares to DMing irl.

DMing to start off, that sounds unbelievably brave. I've been playing for a while now but only on the PC side of things and DMing still feels like an impossible task to take on.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    I'd ask if you had room for me too, but my most recent experience with D&D was when 3.5 was still recent. I've tried to get games going since then, but literally entire world seems to conspire to prevent me from playing tabletop. And PbP, now for that matter.

My last attempt ended before it started because all the players got sick. Our host decided putting out the chicken faster was more important than making sure it wouldn't have salmonella. Which it did. That shit comes on fast. That was a fun night.

I stopped trying after that because someone stole my $2000+ worth of D&D merch. I nearly died on the spot. It's been about seven years since then.
    Last edited by Draconic; February 9th, 2018 at 09:45 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.