Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revised Sanctions

Blog Entries

Revised Sanctions

Over the past few months, new and old staff members have been consulting about our punishments system in the mod forum. Various concerns were raised, solutions were proposed, and we hammered out some revisions to the sanctions.

In detail:
    Some of you may remember Siriel's topic about private warnings being given in public, and my mentioning that privates were a matter of debate among us. In the end, it was decided that private warnings were not effective: they didn't seem to hit home hard enough for people, they didn't display to the rest of the forum what unacceptable behaviour was, and users got frustrated that reports didn't seem to be acted on, even if they actually were. As a result, the first private warning has been replaced by a public warning.

Temp bans have been decoupled from strikes. We decided it was too limiting to keep this very useful tool just linked to one of our most serious punishments, in permanent strikes. Now a second warning may be accompanied by a short temp ban. We hope that this will actually decrease the number of people going to strikes, because they'll get a period to settle their tempers in, rather than bulldozing right on after a public warning as certain people do now. Otherwise, we now have a heavier hand with which to slap people who are idiots but haven't quite been bad enough to get a full strike.

The strike system hasn't been touched, other than an increase to the cooldowns attached.

The full system of sanctions as it currently stands follows below:

- An infringement of the rules of Beast's Lair is cause for a public warning, presented with formal notice at the point of offence by a member of staff.

- A further infringement within the undisclosed period of 'cooldown' for a first offence is cause for a second warning and, at the discretion of staff, a temporary ban of between one and three days. It also comes with its own cooldown period.

- A third episode of rule-breaking within cooldown is cause for a permanent strike on the record of the member, accompanied by a mandatory ban of one week. You remain on an extended cooldown after you return from your ban, during which we consider you to be on your first warning.

- Another series of offences leading to a second permanent strike is cause for a mandatory ban of two weeks. Your cooldown on return is further increased.

- A final series of offences leading to a third permanent strike is cause for a permanent ban from the forums.

Sufficiently aggravated breaches of the rules may lead to an offender being elevated multiple steps up the ladder at staff discretion. Amongst others, unsolicited advertisers are subject to immediate permanent bans. Other behaviour likely to lead to extraordinary punishment includes (but is not limited to) direct personal attacks on other members of the forum, sock-puppeting, and breaking the same rule time and time again in the face of cautions from staff.

At this time, it may be useful to re-read the rules of Beast's Lair, as laid out in the Forum Rules sticky and the Rules page.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So what I get from this is cooldown is back and is ignored in cases where someone's clearly gaming the system?

wow new staff blood is working and actually changing things for the better, i might have to lay down for a bit and process that
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    All very reasonable changes tbh, almost sad that there won't be much forum drama over this
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    the tyranny of private warnings are kill
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    So what I get from this is cooldown is back and is ignored in cases where someone's clearly gaming the system?
    Cooldown never went away?
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Cooldown never went away?
    Bans, however, now operate on a three strikes system. A temp ban no longer expires and we will not wipe your slate clean.
    ?
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    cooldown doesnt mean it goes away

it means youre on probation

- - - Updated - - -

at least in that instance
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    what to heck BL, reasonable changes? Is this still BL?

To be serious good hecking job.

Blog Entries
    Temp bans were the same as the permanent strikes, before. Strikes were and continue to be an indelible mark on the record. No cooldown.

Under both this and the previous system, however, you are on a general cooldown after warnings and bans, which just means that you're noted as being at a certain step of the ladder.

For example, Mike earns his first strike and accordingly gets tempbanned for a week. We note that strike on his record. After his week's up, he's considered at the first step of the ladder for a given period. If he keeps his nose clean throughout that period, he reverts to normal, but still has that permanent strike on file. If he then goes all the way back up through the system to another strike, it is his second strike and he earns the accompanying longer tempban and comes under threat of a perma if he repeats himself a third time.
    Last edited by Seika; June 18th, 2015 at 01:01 PM.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I still find it highly suspect that this was only implemented after​ my second strike >.>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I still find it highly suspect that this was only implemented after​ my second strike >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    The strike system hasn't been touched
    So keep your nose clean and nothing will have changed. :v

(Not that we're into post-facto implementation of the rules: remember everyone getting resets when the previous system came in?)
    Last edited by Seika; June 18th, 2015 at 01:11 PM.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Banned
    Blog Entries
    oh sweet

Blog Entries
    That's not that you are getting a reset. Just that if anything had affected you, we would have looked at a way not to unjustly hit you with something you had no way of knowing about.

Since the strike system is unaltered, nothing's actually changed for you. So no wipe, I'm afraid.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Never lucky

I didnt expect a full sweep anyway but myeh.

So, if I did read it right...
    Nothing will change, except the Private Warnings are gone?

Quote Originally Posted by KosakiFag View Post
    Why don't you love him too then?
    You're both Grails.

Blog Entries
    Private warnings aren't an official punishment (though you may still receive PMs from mods when warranted). Shorter temp bans are now a punishment detached from strikes, meaning you can get a three or one day temp ban without it becoming a permanent mark against you.

It used to be

Private warning
    Public warning
    Temp ban with a strike

Now it is

Public warning
    Public warning + temp ban
    Temp ban with a strike

Ok, thanks.
    Good to know this.

Quote Originally Posted by KosakiFag View Post
    Why don't you love him too then?
    You're both Grails.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The title sounds like a fanfiction title.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's all a lie I made up to salve my disappointed hopes for reform.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    This is unreasonable. It should be:
    Public warning
    Public warning plus cut funding
    private warning + double secret ultra probation
    dissolve the fraternity