Page 43 of 70 FirstFirst ... 333841424344454853 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Oh...this makes more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

You could go with "little one" for genderless affection.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 4 Part 4

Chapter 4

Part 4

After that, a few hours passed.

The sun had set considerably, and the Tower of the Sun's shadow had stretched out to match it.

Unfortunately, it was hard to say that we had come to a satisfactory conclusion. All we had managed to accomplish was filling my brother's notebook with theories and hypotheses, and then crossing them all out as unacceptable.

"Thinking of the Sun as a stand-in for Helios in the formula is no good. On the other hand, using Selena or Nanna in place of the Moon and utilizing the attributes of the Sacred Beast strays too far from the starting point. The Towers are too large of a factor, leaving them as just a superficial cover doesn't make any sense."

"...Master?"

"No...the Sun and Moon aren't part of it after all...is that treasure really not part of this?"

My brother's honest monologue continued. To think that this pathetic expression came from the same man who had so gallantly intervened, facing down the head of one of the Three Great Familiesm, was a strain on the imagination.

"Hey hey, are you getting stuck on that again? Are you going to finish within Lord Byron's time limit if you keep going around in circles like this?"

From the start, clearing up the mystery and solving the incident was only a single card in the game. In order to clear the doubt around me, and release the captured Trimmau, a much more powerful move would be necessary. That was why Lord Byron had only allowed us to move within a certain time limit.

Getting tripped up at this stage was not helping.

"Yes. Well. Perhaps as far as this is concerned, we'd be better off waiting."

"Just waiting?"

"Well..." he mumbled back. His voice seemed to hold a terrible melancholy. It was the kind of voice he used when grappling with a very personal problem.

However, as his gaze wandered across the damp ground, his expression slightly wrinkled.

"Oh."

Suddenly, I felt a faint pain in my eyes.

The reason for that was immediately apparent.

From the trees a short distance away, the shadows began to grow. While it was certainly nearing evening, the direction the shadows were cast was entirely different than that of the Tower of the Sun, even discounting their unnatural length. On top of that, though the shadows stretched across the gently swaying grasses, they were motionless on top of them.

Silently, my brother removed the cigar from his mouth.

Whispering a small spell, the flame at the tip of the cigar grew. Laying that flame near the grass, he placed it in the unnatural shadow-

"Ow! Owowowowowowow!"

The shadow screamed.

Leaping up from the darkness was a golden haired, blue eyed boy. Desperately trying to extinguish the flame on the seat of his pants, he continued his crying as he turned to us.

"Ah, I was discovered!"

"...what are you doing here, Flat?"

"I did it, professor! In Japanese it's like, how do you do? Japan's greetings are pretty deep, kind of gives off a Buddhist feel don't you think?"

With a simple-minded innocence, the blonde boy spoke vigorously.

Most likely, what we had just seen was Illusion magecraft. Using shadows to hide one's own body was a popular style in Germany, if I recalled correctly. I didn't know where he had picked it up, but his ability to see and reproduce magecraft from a number of different disciplines spoke to his considerable skill.

And then.

"-Flat!" An angry voice called out from the road. The new arrival, another young man with pleasant features, ran up already in the process of chastising the first.

"I told you to hurry on ahead and tell them I was going to be late!"

"Ah, it's Le Chien!"

"Don't call me that! Sorry for keeping you waiting, Professor!"

Similarly blonde haired and blue eyed, the new arrivals more masculine, rugged features made a good contrast. You could say he was like a hunting dog. A delicate wildness peaked out from his sharp eyes, and his bow of greeting was done with professional elegance.

Svin Glascheit. The oldest student in
    Norwich
    the Faculty of Modern Magecraft.
    Paired with Flat Escardos, they were peerless as students.

...but of course, that only lasted a few moments before the situation collapsed again.

"Gray!"

Earning a jump from the trembling Gray, Svin immediately leapt to her side, sniffing at her like a dog.

"Oh, Gray, Gray, Gray! So sweet, and grey, and sharp, like a smell that will tear me up inside!"

"...p-please, stop!"

As if he couldn't hear Gray's resistance, another voice called out to distract him as he attempted to get his fill of her scent.

"Svin."

"...r-right!" At my brother's cold voice, Svin suddenly snapped to attention. "M-my apologies! It was the first time in a while I have been within 20 meters of Gray, so I kind of lost control!"

"You guys..." Giving the deepest sigh since he had arrived at this place, my brother covered his face with one hand.

Realizing something, I also turned to him.

"By the way, didn't you say you weren't going to be using your students like this?"

"That's what happens when you leave them to their own devices. I came across them getting their personal rooms in order...however, I believe I told you to message me your results, and that I specifically told you not to come to the actual scene. Am I right?"

"But Professor! Reines is in big trouble, right?! There's no way we could miss such an exciting event!"

...an exciting event, huh? Well then, he was going to have to die. After he helped us, I guess.

"There's no way I could let Flat come out here unsupervised."

In contrast, Svin's response came across like a true honour student.

Well, let's forget what happened between him and Gray just a moment ago. Pay no mind to the girl hiding behind me.

There wasn't even a shred of tension left. Rather, you could say things just got right back to normal. We were in the territory of a magus we couldn't call friendly, burdened with the suspicion of murder, having lost Trimmau, and were operating under a tight time constraint. Even so, somehow a breath of normalcy had entered the situation.

This was likely the 'power' that my brother had worked for years to cultivate in the Clock Tower. I don't know where he had picked it up, but for my brother who was so much like a true magus - he sure had a way of being very un-magus-like. Though he'd probably just come back with an excuse like "a magus always treasures his pupils," or something.

After things calmed down a bit, my brother turned to Svin.

"How did the investigation go?"

"Here you are." While his gaze flickered over to Gray repeatedly, he pulled out a piece of paper and handed it over.

"...I see," my brother said, nodding as he read the paper.

"What's this? The key to reversing our fortunes?"

"That's right. Though we are still missing a few pieces. We'll have to make our move now regardless, though."

Pressing a hand to his temple, he slowly stood.

His jet black coat waveed in the breeze.

His red muffler fluttering behind him, he set out with bold steps, his pupils in tow.

"Now, shall we start preparing for the coming battle?"

Chapter 4 Part 5

Chapter 4

Part 5

For a moment, let's change the stage.

A fair distance from the Twin Towers, in the State Room of a hotel near Windermere Station.

In the stunningly resplendent room, the newest model of cell phone was being held up.

Not by the person using it. A maidservant, skin bedecked in all manner of gems, held it aloft, as the young man that owned it spoke in a listless voice.

"Then, everything is in order, Lord Valueleta?"

The man had a darkly tanned complexion. His blonde hair reached down to his chest, and beautiful golden rings hung about his neck.

"That's right. As far as this incident is concerned, your intervention is strictly unnecessary."

A brief moment after the response, the tanned young man signalled the girl to cut the call.

"...good," he gently squeezed his hand into a fist.

As far as he was concerned, the only enemy he feared was that Lord Valueleta. He had no concern for the rest of the riffraff, but in the end he could not afford to ignore a head of one of the Three Great Families. While the fact that she was old was enough of an obstacle, the years also had something to say about her magecraft.

But now, that obstacle was gone. There was no longer any object worthy of fear within the Twin Towers. Neither was there a need to get involved in that stupid murder investigation. All that was left was to go in with brute force and take what he wanted.

"Shall we move on to the harvest, then? If we're going to win, we'll need a method, after all. It's time to make Iselma regret refusing to work with us."

Looking around at the serving women arrayed around him, the man laughed. At the same time, one of them whispered into his ear.

"Then, you will go in person?"

"Yes. Doing it myself will ensure everything is done thoroughly, no? I have no intention of just joining in on the game, like that Lord El-Melloi." His lips curling into a sneer, as he declared it with pride. "That's not how Atram Galiasta works, is it?"

Afterword

Afterword, by Makoto Sanda

It was the ultimate beauty.

Beyond where any could encroach, untouchable by any threat.

Perched atop a mountain no human could ever climb, and yet a concept none but a human could conceive.

One of the strengths of writing novels is the ability to express 'a beauty beyond pictures.' The essence of something that could never exist in real life can easily be written down on a page. That is almost magecraft in itself. This is why I thought it was an appropriate theme for the 'Lord El-Melloi II Case Files.' Please join us again in the latter half of this magical mystery play of the twin princesses.

Now, it seems my goal of 'one book per year' that I wrote about in the afterword of the first volume of this series has already been broken. Let me replay a conversation I had at the beginning of this year to hopefully explain why that is.

"By the way, Mr. Sanda, could you release the next volume by this summer?"

"Um, Mr. Nasu, we already wrote that it was going to be one a year, remember?"

"Don't worry, I believe in you."

"Um, I kind of have the Chaos Dragon anime coming up this summer..."

"Don't worry, I believe in you."

"Well...If I try to make it one book it'll be quite thick...maybe if I split it in two and just release the first half?"

And with that, it was announced very quickly, but I wonder if any of you were surprised at some of the newly arrived characters?

Every time I wrote the names of these new characters, or the secret parts of the Clock Tower, I felt an extraordinary nervousness in spelling them out. I hope that with Lord El-Melloi II, I've managed to produce an attractive view of the rich world set out by Type Moon.

Finally I'd like to express my thanks to Mineji Sakamoto for cooperating with my unrealistic requests for illustrations and accompanying me on this battlefield, to Kiyomune Miwa for always helping me in the difficult research of magecraft, to Ryougo Narita for helping with writing the lines for Flat Escardos, and to everyone at Type Moon.

The latter half of this story is planned for release this winter.

July 2017
    Currently reading Hideyuki Kikuchi's "Twin Oni."

And that's it for Volume 2.

Volume 3 will begin once I'm done the Case Files GO Event. I'm hoping to get at least Act 1 done and posted by tomorrow, but that will depend if I can stop myself from playing long enough to actually do the work.

Thanks for sticking it out for my painfully long delays. I apologize to the few people who were relying on this translation to do translations of their own, I don't intend to have such big gaps in progress in the future, but obviously I can't guarantee anything.

Also hopefully obviously, I won't be able to continue putting out 100 pages a week like I just did since I'll actually be working after Golden Week. I'm hoping to get about 20~25 pages a week, which should be enough for more or less weekly releases, but considering my track record I'd say don't hold your breath lol.

EDIT: Apparently someone else is already translating the event over on Reddit, so I may not bother.
    EDIT2: It's....not very good. Hm.
    Last edited by TwilightsCall; April 28th, 2019 at 11:58 PM.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

US Friend Code
    Insert applause gif here, thanks so much for your work.

Thank you TwilightsCall. Also, is this really the end of Volume II? Is the final battle of this arc going to happen next volume then?
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Volume 2 and 3 are both one story. Same with 4/5, 6/7, and 8/9/10.

Ah, that's good. Thank you so much for doing this work.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Nice, Atomic Gatorade's gonna take the stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

I honestly wonder what he can do besides throw money at the problem.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Spoiler:
    IIRC he can control the weather with his magecraft? Or something like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Thanks a lot for your hard work, TwilightsCall!

US Friend Code
    Oh, I dont suppose anyone plans on putting volume 2 together into a pdf?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So I've decided to go ahead and do this anyways.

It will probably take some time - don't expect it to keep up with the Event timing., though I'm hoping to get a good chunk of it out of the way before I go back to work next week. As always, please no spoilers in this thread beyond what's translated.

Fair warning, I don't really keep up with the GO story, so if I miss anything important here related to that (like character/proper names) please point it out so I can fix it.

Prologue

???:
    So.
    As far as A Team is concerned, that is definitely the weak point.

To be honest, we're in a bad spot.
    We haven't so much as caught sight of the enemy's tail yet.

Even so, there's still Kirschtaria.
    Even if he isn't completely open with us, a great man is still a great man.

No matter what trial lies in wait for them, I'm sure he will answer to it perfectly.

However.
    There is one fatal flaw.
    With the current Chaldea system, there's nothing we can do.

If we lose our ability to observe them,
    their annihilation will be unavoidable.

But she's not ready yet, is she?

Unfortunately, it's just as you say.
    Even for a genius, there just wasn't enough time.

So, we'll have to leave it to the future.
    Let's pray that time will solve the problem.

Ah, so in short.
    We have high hopes for you.

Act 1 - The Magus' Disciple

Arrow 1

Act 1-1

(Black Screen)
    ???:
    -sir.
    -excuse me sir, we've arrived at your station. Please wake up.

Hey now, you can't be so lax with him.
    Like this! (Smack!)

Mysterious Girl:
    Finally, my apprentice is awake.
    Hey, what's that look for?
    It almost looks like you don't remember who I am or where we are.

Player:
    -Who are you again?
    -A blonde girl for a teacher...that's a new pattern, right?

Mysterious Girl:
    What?
    Come on, get it together!
    Isn't it obvious that I'm your tutor, Lord El-Melloi II?!
    There's no time to still be half asleep.
    Wait, you aren't going to tell me you forget who YOU are, are you?

???: 
    The Reyshift this time...observed...

???:
    As such, while adjusting the shadow border...
    ...happened.
    For me, I'm not happy with the idea of dividing up our resources. If you're going anyways...

???:
    In any case, Senpai. Please be careful...

El-Melloi II:
    So? Did you remember a little?

Player:
    -Not really...
    -Was that, Chaldea?

El-Melloi II:
    Chaldea? You mean the Chaldeans of Babylonia?
    Did you have a dream about your
    Animusphere
    Astronomy
    lectures or something?
    My goodness, you really are still half asleep.
    Anyways. Be a good student and get my bags for me.
    Let's go.
    Just because this is the terminal station doesn't mean we can keep the conductor all day.

Conductor:
    Please, come again soon.

El-Melloi II:
    Finally back to my beloved London!
    I'm glad to see it looks as gloomy as ever.
    I guess all that's left is to head home.
    Hm? Is something wrong?

Player:
    -Um, what's that black tower in the middle of the city?

El-Melloi II:
    Of course, that's the Clock Tower.
    The pride of all magi, the ivory tower where the essence of our knowledge lives.
    While they say their goal is to pursue the Origin,
    it's basically just a viper's pit of power struggles.
    Under the leadership of the 12 Lords,
    they spend every night in there plotting and scheming, over and over.

Player:
    -That must mean you're a pretty important person.

El-Melloi II:
    Are you really going to make me say that out loud?
    Even so, I shall answer. Though it is of the lowest of the Faculties, I am in fact the Lord of the Faculty of Modern Magecraft.
    Realistically, that just means that ninety percent of the people I see around me are enemies and spies,
    to the point I never know when the next attempt on my life will come.
    Even I, who was the last in line to succeed the title, had to deal with poison in my food since a young age.
    I ended up having to carry emergency rations with me everywhere, but as you might expect, they tasted awful.
    Thanks to that, I developed a quick fondness for sweets shops.

Player:
    -That is...
    -Sorry I asked such a careless question.

El-Melloi II:
    Hey hey, don't look so honestly depressed about it.
    See, you're already making me smile.
    Sorry, but seeing such unhappy expressions on others is too much fun for me.
    Be a good student and forgive me.
    Anyways, about you. Do you have amnesia or something?
    Did you hit your head somewhere? Oh, well I guess I hit your head.
    At this rate, you might have to start all over from Elementary School.
    I feel like you'd be cute, mixed in with all those school kids.
    But you remember about magi and everything, right?

Player:
    -Now that you mention it, I was given a rank...
    -Right, I did have the rank of Cause...

El-Melloi II:
    Cause? Are you serious? It's not that high of a rank, but it's only for people who are well established in their magecraft you know!
    No matter how I look at you, there's no way you're that proper of a magus.
    If you have time to be making bad jokes like that, work on your studies more instead.
    Like, practically speaking, carrying my luggage for me.
    Anyways, fun and games aside, shall we get going?

El-Melloi II:
    At long last, home.
    Don't get too tired carrying all that luggage, okay? Keep it together.
    Hm? Something's strange...
    Sure, there's a Boundary Field up here, but even so it's too quiet.
    I don't remember putting a sound lock in place.

El-Melloi II:
    Automata?!

Automata:
    Lord...El-Melloi...II?

El-Melloi II:
    What? Is that antique capable of fighting?!
    Well, I'm used to being hated by now, but even the Boundary Field aside, it's pretty surprising to be attacked out in the open like this.
    This should be a good warmup.
    Behold my skill, my student!

(Battle Starts)

Arrow 2

Act 1-2

El-Melloi II:
    Looks like it got away.
    They seem to be unnecessarily strong, don't they?

Player:
    -You're pretty strong too, huh?

El-Melloi II:
    Combat ability is a fundamental for magi, after all.
    Especially since the Clock Tower encourages settling issues by duels.
    However, it seemed odd that it would attack me.
    It was more like, it was trying to observe the surroundings...
    I have a bad feeling about this. Let's hurry home.

El-Melloi II:
    Hm. Have those guys from earlier already left?
    At any rate, it doesn't seem like there are any magical traps...
    But on the off chance, do you mind opening the door for me?

Player:
    -What am I, your guinea pig?!
    -I believe you would be better off taking the initiative, Master.

El-Melloi II:
    Oh, stop complaining. Now be a good student and die for your master.
    Open up!

El-Melloi II:
    Oh, looks like it didn't explode or anything.
    Now, shall we make preparations for our next lessons?
    ...wait.
    Something smells like blood.
    On your guard. Don't leave my side.

(Black screen)

El-Melloi II:
    W-what...

Player:
    -T-this is...!
    -A dead body? It looks...familiar...

El-Melloi II:
    No way...you...you...
    Brother...!
    Lord El-Melloi II...!

Player:
    -Huh?

El-Melloi II:
    No, wait, that's right. I'm not El-Melloi II.
    What have I been saying until now?
    Why did I think I was El-Melloi II?
    Why was that idea even in my head?
    Why is...my brother...

Player:
    -Master...?
    -By brother, you mean...

El-Melloi II?:
    ...ah, right.
    I don't understand what's happening either, but...
    ...hm. Something is written by his hand.
    This is...an M?

El-Melloi II?:
    Bah, no time to even think!
    Engaging!

(Battle Starts)

Arrow 3

Act 1-3:

Automata:
    El-Melloi II...?

El-Melloi II?:
    Dammit, there's no end to this!
    We're running!
    Out that window! Jump!

Player:
    -Um, this is the fourth floor though...

El-Melloi II?:
    Go, idiot!

(Smash sound, falling animation)

El-Melloi II:
    Trim!

Trimmau:
    Understood, Master.

El-Melloi II?:
    Landing successful.
    Now, how about a present?

El-Melloi II?:
    Now's our chance!
    Let's get out of here!

El-Melloi II?:
    Geez, I'm tired...
    Come on, being unable to strengthen your own limbs is too much, even for a dropout.

Player:
    -My apologies
    -By the way, what did you mean by not being El-Melloi II?

El-Melloi II?:
    Please spend some time reflecting on your weaknesses.
    Yes, as I said, I am not El-Melloi II.
    My name is Reines El-Melloi Archisorte.
    The body we saw earlier is my brother.

Reines:
    Someday I will indeed succeed the title of El-Meloi,
    but I haven't yet. So why did I think that I had?
    And why...is my brother dead...

Player:
    -Is he an important person to you?

Reines:
    My brother...to me...
    ...no, this isn't the time for that.
    Trim, how were things with you?

Trimmau:
    I was also under the impression that you were El-Melloi II.

Player:
    -Whoa!

Reines:
    You too, huh?
    Oh, this is my familiar, by the way.

Trimmau:
    Mystic Code
    Volumen Hydrargyrum
    Moon Spirit's Spinal Fluid
    . Master also refers to me as Trim.
    A pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Player:
    -Pleased to meet you.
    -Was Volumen Hydrargyrum like this...?

Reines:
    She's my familiar, maid, and bodyguard.
    Unlike humans, she will never betray me.
    As such, I've put an overwhelming amount of trust in her.
    But...
    Aah! Why was my brother killed?!
    Why did I think I was in his place?!
    Of course, Suggestion of that level is an elementary level magecraft,
    but were Trim and I so off-guard as to be caught by that?
    How about you? How are your memories?
    Do you remember who you are?

Player:
    -Not really...
    -Besides my name, it's pretty dark...

Reines:
    So, the same as me, then. I had thought you were my student up until now,
    but now I realize that's not the case.
    The idea of both of us just having amnesia is pretty hard to believe.
    Especially considering some of the memories appear altered.
    Who in the world is behind this?
    Wait, the culprit isn't you, is it?

Trimmau:
    Is that the case...?

Player:
    -No no no no no!
    -Whoa, what's up with your hair?!

Reines:
    No, that was just a joke, Trim.
    If this guy was the culprit, he would have had a better reaction
    when I told him to jump out the window.
    Come to think of it, this whole city feels wrong. Almost like...it's older.
    It's almost like it's the 19th Century, or maybe the beginning of the 20th.
    No, this world...

Player:
    -Reines!
    -Space is...!

Mashu:
    Senpai, can...hear...?!
    We...contact...reyshift...!
    You...caught...
    It's useless. We can't...establish....connection...
    At least...Saint Graph...trunk...

Reines:
    Saint Graph?

Reines:
    What...?
    We realized the anomalies in our memories and the world, so our obstructed senses were restored?
    But...where is this?
    It seems like you also got some sort of odd transmission.
    What was that all about?

Player:
    -I couldn't quite tell through the white noise...
    -Something about a trunk?

Reines:
    Now that you mention it, we have been carrying around a trunk that doesn't belong to me.
    Is this what it was about?

Reines:
    Hm. Well if it's yours, then take it.
    My goodness...we've got nothing but mysteries here, do we?
    What ever happened that brought us here?
    ...at any rate, we need to find the person who killed my brother and messed with our memories.
    Alright, let's go!

Player:
    -Uh, "Let's"?
    -Wait, we're going together?!

Reines:
    Hm? Of course we're working together.
    There's no way your leaving a fragile young girl like me alone in this situation, right?

(Fade to black, comes back to Reines' Internal Monologue)

Reines:
    Definitely...I'll definitely catch you.
    I'll make sure you pay well for what you did to my brother.
    And I won't let anything stop me!

(End of Act 1)

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    -I believe you would be better off taking the initiative, Master.

El-Melloi II:
    Oh, stop complaining. Now be a good student and die for your master.
    I like bants, bants are good civilization.
    Player:
    -Is he an important person to you?
    wtf Gudao of course a sibling is an important person

This definitely reads better than the other translation; thanks TC.
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Thank you for the translation of Volume 2. It's great to see it finally fully translated.

How bad is the Reddit translation of the Case Files event?

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    its very literal
    I haz a patreon please support onegai
    Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Not to drop shade on the Reddit guy or anything, but from what I saw it had a lot of errors. Like...a lot. And not minor nitpicky ones either.

(And I know if I don't translate it myself, I'll never read the story, so I figure I might as well use self-induced public shaming to force me into working on it by sharing it with other people lol)

Act 2

Act 2

Arrow 1

Reines:
    Most urgently, we need to discover who exactly we are.
    Hold on, that sounds pretty cringy in this day and age.
    The only thing we really have to go on as a clue is that M.
    Some sort of dying message I guess?
    First of all, where even are we?
    W-what was that shaking?

Giant:
    Patchwork London! It's Patchwork London!
    It's a patchwork of fairytales!
    Everyone is happy! Everyone is always smiling!

Reines:
    That giant is...!
    At any rate, it must be related to this place.
    Hey, you! Wait!

Giant:
    What is it?
    My name is Bunyan, small friend!

Reines:
    I see.
    Would the letter M happen to mean anything to you?

Bunyan:
    Yep!

Player:
    -Wait, really?
    -Hold on, this story is moving too fast!

Bunyan:
    Come here, come here!
    Get up on my shoulders! I'm really strong, so it's okay!
    This is M!

Reines:
    Well...I guess that's an M...
    Museum starts with M, doesn't it?

???:
    Hey, you're back, Bunyan!
    Oh, did you bring some guests?

???:
    Welcome back, Bunyan!

Kintoki Sakata:
    Oh. You guys.
    ...are you the 'heroes' that guy was talking about?

Fou:
    Fou?

Mordred:
    Heroes or whatever, I don't care.
    More importantly, looks like you got in a fight with him.

Kintoki:
    Yeah...anyways, I got rid of that annoying fog.
    Now I'll leave the rest...I'll leave the good parts to you guys...while I rest...

???:
    ...hey, what are you? Human? A magus?

Jack the Ripper:
    Shall I kill you then?
    One, two, three. So many. So many.

Kintoki:
    Hey, what's wrong?

Reines:
    You're looking awfully pale all of a sudden.

Player:
    -I feel like this isn't the first time I've met those two...

Jack:
    Us? Maybe you met a different us?

Bunyan:
    Hey, hey, Jack!
    Maybe these people will be able to find it!

Player:
    -Able to find it?
    -What?

Bunyan:
    One of our friends has gone missing!

Reines:
    Hmm. Gone missing, huh?
    Who exactly is missing?

Kintoki:
    We have no idea, gal.

Player:
    -Huh?
    -What?

Bunyan:
    We don't know, but we know someone is missing!

Kintoki:
    I know it sounds weird, but I've got the same feeling.
    Someone who should be here just...isn't.
    But I have no idea who that someone is.
    I know it sounds like a joke, but it's the truth.

Jack:
    We're the same. Almost like if you opened us up, you'd find nothing inside.

Bunyan:
    Also, the museum is full of annoying things. With just Kintoki and Jack, we can't get through all of them.
    I can't go into the museum, so I was looking for help, and then I found you guys!

Reines:
    I see, what a difficult problem.
    Very well, my disciple and I shall assist you.

Player:
    -Whoa, aren't you agreeing a little bit quickly?!
    -...so I'm still your disciple, now?

Reines:
    We still have no idea what this place even is.
    In that case, isn't it better for us to have allies?
    (...and also, Mystery is something caught up in the bizarre. It's hard to imagine our meeting with Bunyan was just a coincidence.)
    So, I'd like to ask for some more details. Practically speaking, what are these 'annoying things' in the museum you were talking about?

Bunyan:
    Lately, there've been a lot of bad guys around!
    They attack us all the time in the museum!

Jack:
    Wait...I heard something.

Bunyan:
    It's them!

Kintoki:
    Tch, you guys again!

Reines:
    These are...completely different from the Automata we saw earlier!

Reines:
    Dammit, there's so many!
    Even if I help, it won't be enough...!

Player:
    -There must be something we can do...!
    -If we use the trunk from earlier...!

Reines:
    You can use that trunk for something?

Player:
    -I'll try!

(Battle Starts)

Kintoki:
    Man, they're as un-golden as ever...

Bunyan:
    Thanks, sis!

Reines:
    That trunk was really something.
    What was that? It felt like the shadow of some incredibly powerful familiar...
    Those wouldn't have happened to be your contracted familiars, would they?

Player:
    -Probably, something like that?
    -It seems like I can summon them, now.

Reines:
    Hm. They seemed similar to Bunyan and the others.
    Are you a magus from
    Eulyphis
    the Faculty of Spiritual Evocation
    ?
    Anyways, this is the real deal.
    If that's how things are, you seem pretty reliable.
    Shall we get started evicting these 'annoying things'?

Arrow 2

Player:
    -This place is huge!

Kintoki:
    Yeah, I like this place. It's full of gold things.

Jack:
    There's...so many things! Paintings, objects, bendy things, straight things!
    It's like the inside of a body!

Player:
    -You're pretty stuck on that, aren't you?

Reines:
    It's different from the real deal, but it's still about half the size of the British Museum.
    If you really wanted to take a look around, a week wouldn't be enough.
    Let's get these creatures out of here as efficiently as we can.

Reines:
    Servant, you say?

Kintoki:
    Yep, we're just wandering Servants. Something in this place must have called us.

Jack:
    Don't know why!
    Probably so we could spend every day having fun though!

Reines:
    I see, I understand your existence.
    So that makes you what we call Ghost Liners then, does it?

Player:
    -Ghost Liner?
    -What's that?

Reines:
    Well, in this case, Heroic Spirits carved into human history.
    You can think of it as figures that were once great people or renowned heroes.
    As a Magus, when considering an incident related to Mystery like this, the investigator has to change their thinking a bit.
    After all, once magecraft and Mystery are involved, though there are still some rules, basically anything goes.
    Things like flying, or moving through walls are perfectly reasonable.
    You could even have artificial people, if you were so inclined.
    But in the end, depending on the strain of magecraft being used, the rules change completely.
    Normal investigation or logic becomes completely useless now.
    As such, the important question becomes neither who did it, or how.
    There are any number of cheats that can be used to hide that.
    What we need to look out for, is 'why did they do it?'

Player:
    -Why they did it?
    -Sounds like a mystery novel.

Reines:
    Precisely. Those are the three fundamentals to a mystery.
    The culprit, the trick, and the motive. It's a question of which to focus on.
    Though that's something I borrowed from my late brother. It's a thing he often used to say.
    Even if they are a magus, they are still human.
    Rather, more than an ordinary human, a magus' motive will be easier to pin down.
    A true magus will give up anything in the pursuit of magecraft, after all.
    It's a life that shaves off every bit of excess, so their motivation becomes pure and simple.
    In that regard, no magus can lie.
    Servants are likely the same.
    No matter how powerful they may be, they are simply dead people engraved in the Throne.
    As such, their nature will be similarly pure. Whether they are evil, or after deceiving people, that purity remains unchanged.

Player:
    -Pure...
    -Whether they are evil...

Reines:
    In short, what we need to worry about is not who disappeared or how.
    What we need is 'why' they disappeared.

Jack:
    What are you guys talking about? Sounds hard.

Reines:
    Not at all. For now, let's just take a look around the museum.

Arrow 3

Reines:
    Hmm.

Reines:
    Oh?

Reines:
    I see I see...

Reines:
    What's this?

Reines:
    Oh! 'The monsters surprised you!'

(Battle Start)

Reines:
    I see. And with that, we've finished our first pass of the museum.

Player:
    -We didn't see anyone...
    -Exterminating monsters is tough work...

Reines:
    By the way, there's something I'd like to ask.

Jack:
    What is it?

Reines:
    When exactly did you start thinking that someone had gone missing?

Jack:
    Umm...I don't remember that either...

Kintoki:
    Sorry, gal. I'm the same.

Reines:
    I see, I see. A disappearing incident, but we don't know who disappeared or when.
    What a bizarre set of circumstances.
    Then, this time just my student and I will take a look around. Is that okay?

Kintoki:
    Whoa, don't get so close!
    I feel like we've cleared most of them out, but be careful, okay?

Reines:
    Of course. Then, we'll be back shortly.

Player:
    -What's up?
    -Did you find some clue?

Reines:
    Well now, let's see. I may have just caught on to something.
    So, how was it, Trim?

Player:
    -Whoa!

Trimmau:
    I searched around in liquid form, but was unable to find any sort of hidden rooms.

Reines:
    In that case, one more option has been eliminated.
    Now, my disciple. Do you know where we're going next?

Arrow 4

Reines:
    Aha, the library. I'm glad to see you were paying attention.
    Hmm. Ahh. I see.

Player:
    -Wait, hold on, your neck-!
    -Aren't you bending a little bit more than should be possible?!

Reines:
    Well, I tried to turn it, and it did.
    I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be able to do that, but it seemed possible, so when I tried it worked.
    Anyways, the person we need to ask is right there.

Player:
    -Uhh...there's no one there?
    -All I see are bookcases...

Reines:
    Precisely, we have books. Go ahead, take out the third book from the right.

Player:
    Um, okay...

Book:
    Kya!

Player:
    Wah!

Book:
    W-what are you doing?!

Reines:
    As expected, you were turned into a book.
    Or maybe more accurately, you were a book from the start?
    Servants really are interesting, aren't they?

Nursery Rhyme:
    Nursery...Rhyme...
    No, wait...that's not my name. My name is Alice.

Reines:
    Spacing out again? Are you okay?

Player:
    -Er, yes!
    -I'm fine!

Reines:
    Anyways, it looks like they are waking up as well.

Book:
    Uh...uhh...I...

Reines:
    Ah, so you have a human form, too?

Book?:
    I, I was spoken to, and now I can move...

Reines:
    That sounds about right. You probably forgot that you could, right?

Player:
    -What do you mean?

Reines:
    Why was she hiding the whole time? Well, that's obvious.
    The three of them all forgot who it was that was missing. But they also forgot when she went missing.
    So wouldn't it make sense that the one hiding had also forgotten everything?

Player:
    -Ah!
    -She forgot who she was...

Reines:
    And there we have our answer.
    It's similar to how we lost our memories, after all.
    Since someone like Bunyan is here, I figured it wouldn't be strange if their missing friend had a similarly strange ability.
    As such, that left two options: They weren't in the museum, or they were and couldn't be found anyway.
    There was the possibility there were hidden rooms, so I had Trimmau search, but apparently there weren't any traces of them.
    As such, that left the possibility of an invisible person, or someone transformed into something else.
    And that's why I tried such a surprising gesture.
    Though I must say I'm glad I only had to do it once. My certification as a beautiful young girl was at risk after all.
    Can I ask you your name, now?

Book?:
    I'm...
    Nursery Rhyme
    A Story for Someone Else
    Umm...do you think Bunyan and them will remember me?
    Even though I saw Jack and Kintoki looking for me, I couldn't remember, after all...

Player:
    -It'll be fine.
    -Jack and Kintoki were looking really hard for you, you know.

Nursery Rhyme:
    Okay!

Reines:
    Now, you should go meet your friends. They should be at the entrance. You'll be fine on your own, right?

Nursery Rhyme:
    Yeah! Thanks, you two!

Reines:
    ...sure it was strange, but that was certainly an easy mystery, wasn't it? Almost like it was intended for a novice.
    But solving something like this...hm?

Player:
    -What's wrong?
    -Behind that wall...

Reines:
    In that place, where the Book Servant was until now...

Reines:
    What is this paper?
    Memory
    Mnemosyne
    ? Is this what that M was supposed to mean?
    But even if we get this...
    Ugh!

Arrow 5

Reines:
    I remember...!
    That's right...I'm also a Servant!
    Using the body of the person who summoned me as a vessel, I possessed her!
    Did you remember anything?

Player:
    -Well...
    -My head...hurts...

Announcer:
    DNA Sequence - Human Genome confirmed.
    Spiritual vessel alignment - Neutral good confirmed.
    Welcome to the library of humanity's future.
    This is the Organization for the Preservation of Humanity, Chaldea.
    Finger print - voice - genetic confirmation clear.
    Analysis of magic circuits...complete.
    Name confirmed to match the record.
    Status as primate confirmed.
    Greetings.
    You are, today, the last member to join.
    Please, enjoy your stay.

Announcer:
    ...our deepest apologies.
    Your induction procedure will be complete in an additional 180 seconds.
    In that time, please enjoy this mock battle.

Fou:
    Fou! Fou!

Mashu:
    ...I see, Fou came back as well. Maybe he is a kind of lucky animal after all?

Dr. Roman:
    Oh...Ohhhhhhh!
    We did it! The correction of 15th Century France is perfect!
    It's only one of the seven, but...
    We managed to return human history to its original state!
    Well done!

Player:
    -That's right, I was Chaldea's...
    -Humanity's last Master...

Mashu:
    ...Senpai! Senpai, can you hear me?!
    Thank goodness! We finally got a good connection!

Player:
    -Mashu!
    -A message from Chaldea!

Mashu:
    Senpai! Ah, finally...finally we got through...
    I'm so glad you're okay...!
    We can monitor the condition of your body, but can you tell us about the situation over there?

Player:
    -Mr. El-Melloi was...killed.
    -I had completely forgotten about Chaldea

Mashu:
    El-Melloi was...? And your memories, too?
    No way...
    My apologies. In that case, allow me to explain the situation.
    This time, we Reyshifted into the end of 19th Century London, where a new anomaly was detected.

Player:
    -19th Century London?
    -Wait...isn't that the 4th Singularity?

Mashu:
    The coordinates are indeed close. Of course, there are still occasional tremors from the old Singularity.
    Noum Chaldea's Reyshift capabilities were restored, so we sent you ahead, but...

Player:
    -By any chance, with Mr. El-Melloi?

Mashu:
    That's right. As a Servant familiar with the London area, Lord El-Melloi II was chosen to accompany you.
    However, partway through the Reyshift, our signal was suddenly cut off, and we lost all contact with you.
    We never thought...something like this would happen...
    My apologies. Allow me to continue.
    The current situation is very unstable, but the necessary data has just barely come in.
    By switching the system here to use my sense organs as a focal point, we finally managed to establish a connection.
    But as a result, I'm the only one who can talk, and we can only maintain the connection for a short period of time.

Player:
    -Well done, Mashu!
    -Sorry for the trouble.

Reines:
    I'm listening too, you know. More importantly, you just said Chaldea, right?
    My name is Reines El-Melloi Archisorte. Would you guys happen to be associated with Animusphere?

Mashu:
    Nice to meet you, Miss Reines. Your name is also in our records.
    But in the current situation, we can't really explain...

Reines:
    That's alright. Now that my memories are back, I can make a good guess.
    No need to add unnecessary information from parallel worlds.
    The idea that I am a Pseudoservant is already enough of a bomb. It's kind of hard to deal with.
    Of course, if it becomes necessary, I'll have you explain, but for now the risks outweigh the benefits.
    It sounds very much like a Clock Tower kind of thing to say, but let's work together when our situations overlap.

Mashu:
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Since this transmission was opened, we finally managed to obtain some more accurate data.
    In order for you to return here, you will need to find the source of the anomaly...

Player:
    -Same as always, then.
    -I'm used to it by now.

Mashu:
    Okay. I'll support you with everything I have!
    By the way, there seems to have been a significant change in the landscape of the Singularity a little while ago.
    Can you confirm the change?

Reines:
    Aha. It seems like something's happened again.
    It seems we have added a reliable ally to our ranks.
    Shall we go, my disciple?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    How much of this event has been translated on Reddit?

Please don't waste your effort on FGO.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Good work so far and thanks; I'm looking forward to the more interesting parts of the story later on.
    canon finish apo vol 3