Page 41 of 70 FirstFirst ... 313639404142434651 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

夜魔 Nightmare
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    Last edited by TwilightsCall; Today at 05:06 AM. Reason: Should I translate and post the Case Files GO event in this thread?
    Post here or in the GO story and lore thread, as long as it's linked in the first page. If it's posted here should discussion of the event be here, it probably won't spoil the untranslated stuff right?
    Last edited by BHP; April 25th, 2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: am interested

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 4 Part 1

Chapter 4

Part 1

"As Lord El-Melloi II, I shall take over the investigation of this case."

Those words were like a declaration of war.

Coming in out of nowhere, covering for one's sibling by declaring you would settle everything yourself - what else could it be taken as?

In reality,

"Of course I can't agree to that," Lord Byron rejected his request. It appeared that his willingness to sit in the sidelines and leave everything to Lord Valueleta was gone now that my brother had shown up. "The suspicion on your sister is beyond extraordinary. Even if you are a Lord, it is not a case we can so simply hand off to you."

Somewhere far away, a bird was singing.

Deep within the forest, the hostility directed at us from the gathered magi seemed unbearable.

Turning to face the head of the Iselma family, for a moment my brother dropped his gaze.

And then,

"Of course, you weren't planning on hiding the Princess of Gold's formula, were you?"

"...what? What are you talking about?"

Seeing Lord Byron's breath catch, my brother continued.

"Tower of the Sun, Tower of the Moon. Princess of Gold, Princess of Silver. Naturally, it's clear enough to see that the formulas of the Sun and Moon are patterned after gold and silver. On top of that, the foundation of the magecraft seems to have an alchemical motif. The use of the Sun and Moon in metaphor is a common pattern in Western Alchemy. From the beginning, the objective of Alchemy was to turn Fool's Gold into actual gold - following that metaphor, it is an
    Great Craft
    Ars Magna
    intended to transform the lowly human into a being capable of being compared with God. In short, the Princesses of Gold and Silver and their unspeakable beauty are a result of that process."

Smoothly, as if reading it out of a textbook, my brother summarily shattered the mystery behind the Princess of Gold.

No, in this case, that might literally have been true.

Lord Byron, whose expression had gone dark from my brother's first words and had only continued to worsen from there, seemed to be ample evidence of that.

"However, when I actually saw the Towers of the Sun and Moon, I was truly impressed. In actualizing the form of the Princess of Gold, you've internalized the motion of the planet into the human body. Certainly, correspondence between the Microcosm and the Macrocosm is a fundamental of magecraft, but rather than incorporating that into your living space, you've incorporated the motion of the planet directly into a human's life. Even if it's an idea proposed often enough, those who are able to actually accomplish it are vanishingly few.

I imagine your meal times, sleeping schedules, even your bathroom breaks are strictly regulated for time. As it was once said, 'you are what you eat.' The things you put into your body are what make up your physical structure. For example, as a certain emperor attempted in his quest for immortality, the imbibing of mercury isn't actually wrong per se, but if it isn't done with a body built the same way as the stars, then it will just become poison. Understanding that, not just your food and lifestyle, even your environment were made to unify with your physical bodies. Even the leylines in the ground here are the same. Like the styles of magecraft unique to places in the east like Tibet, drawing magical energy forcefully from the earth was probably a daily habit for you.

The Sun and the Moon are the forces of the heavens. Food and lifestyle are the forces of earth. In short, the Princesses of Gold and Silver could be better described as manifestations of the land itself. In addition, if your bloodline has continued to stack up this behaviour over the generations, then-"

"Stop!"

A sudden shout interrupted him.

Lord Byron glared at my brother with obvious enmity.

It was understandable. Having one's magecraft so thoroughly explained right in front of your eyes was like watching your own soul get pillaged. On top of that, having it happen in front of so many high ranking magi, even if it wasn't something so simple to copy, the chances of their carefully concealed magecraft being stolen away was quite high.

The trade secrets and patents of magi within each faction were akin to a lifeline to those magi that owned them.

"Right. Then let's stop here." Without missing a beat, my brother nodded.

The heavy silence felt like a gathering of dark clouds. Lord Byron continued to glare at my brother like a vengeful ghost, as if he had just watched his family's treasured heirlooms be pilfered right in front of him.

"I see. So this is the infamous Lord El-Melloi," Lord Byron finally managed to spit out.

"'The Second,' if you please. I don't really live up to the original name."

In response to that, Lord Byron nodded with a bitter smile. Seeing that, my brother gave a deep bow.

"...and thus, taking advantage of your great generosity, I would like to request permission to open my investigation."

"...very well." Grudgingly, Lord Byron acquiesced.

Refusing him now would prompt him to continue his earlier explanation. The needle my brother had so expertly inserted had cleanly sealed off Lord Byron's options.

After mulling over the situation for a few moments, grinding the weeds of the forest under his shoes, Lord Byron spoke again.

"However, I will of course have to put a time restraint on it. There's no way we can allow the current situation to go unresolved for even a few days. Yes, I shall quietly allow you to continue until tomorrow night."

"Understood."

"...is that really okay, esteemed brother?" I tried to get my brother's attention for a bit, but after giving me a signal with his eyes, he continued to face Lord Byron.

In the thick atmosphere of the forest, the smell of rusting iron reached deep into my nose.

Of course, it was but an illusion. But even knowing that, seeing the two face off against each other made that sensation grow ever more intense. If that atmosphere could be converted to magical energy and put to work, there was no doubt it could fuel any number of magecraft. Certainly, it would be enough to obliterate either of the two facing off here.

Which magus was the stronger in this situation was decided long ago. Even so, the weaker's gaze did not waver.

"...tch."

Lord Byron clicked his tongue quietly. As he did so, his gaze flickered over to Trimmau, still standing frozen on the bank of the spring.

"One more thing. We will not be returning your Volumen Hydrargyrum. There is a possibility that it is the murder weapon, after all."

"Indeed. There is nothing to argue there." Once again, my brother simply nodded.

However, as he did so, he pulled a slip of paper out from his coat pocket, before continuing bluntly.

"In exchange, I'd like to have you sign an official contract of custody."

"...heheheh. You're really something else when magecraft isn't an option." Inorai gave a bitter smile along with her commentary.

Even besides the Geis Scroll, there were any number of ways to make deals between magi move smoothly. But considering my brother's ability, trying to force a poorly made spell like one of those was suicidal. As such, the method he chose - the Contract of Custody - was a terribly primitive method.

With an annoyed expression, Lord Byron returned the signed paper and began making his way back. Reluctantly, the maid beside him turned to follow.

Then,

"This has been quite a show, Lord El-Melloi II. Good day."

Once more, Inorai put a hand on the bag at her hip, and sand poured out of it to pick up the still-bound Trimmau.

In principle, it was the same sort of magecraft as Trimmau herself was, but even if the sand was the same sort of catalyst, the chances that it was a Mystic Code on the level of Volumen Hydrargyrum were slim to none. Rather, considering the enormous cost and ability required to operate in that manner, it was more just a demonstration of her position as head of one of the Three Great Families.

As the three of them left us, it was all I could do to not collapse on the spot. If I collapsed here, I felt like I might not be able to get back up again. But more importantly, that was a side of me I definitely didn't want to show the guy who had just shown up.

"...my goodness. Your arrival was certainly quick and flashy, wasn't it?" I fixed him with a slightly disapproving look. Honestly, more than the relief I felt, I was more lamenting what he had just done. "Honestly, exposing someone's magecraft like that. I'm not even sure you were doing it on purpose."

"...I don't do it by accident that often." As if he was seriously upset by that, the ever-present wrinkle in his brow grew slightly deeper.

Even if he was going to say something like that, after his exchange with Lord Byron, that was pretty hard to believe. For someone who was so troubled by violence, he was awfully violent himself. Speaking of which, it was him that decided to selfishly steal his predecessor's relic for the Fourth Holy Grail War.

"...as expected, completely unconsciously."

"This time was special," he replied, shifting his gaze away. Oh, that was a brand new reaction. It seemed there was still new ground to break. Even after knowing someone for ten years, there was still more to discover.

"Well, I'll just chalk it up to you being overly zealous to protect your little sister. Yes, at least in that regard I'll give you my thanks."

"Why is it that your appreciation always comes out at the end of something like that? It's no wonder you don't have any friends."

"Hey! My friendships are none of your business, thank you very much!"

"Even if not by blood, as your older brother I have some responsibility to take care of you. Having literally zero friends is really not good for you."

"...are you sure you want to go there, though? Dearest brother, I believe that's a blade that may quite easily be turned against you."

My brother stopped dead.

"Oh, excuse me, I completely forgot. You have an excellent friend, don't you? Someone so special that you left your most important collateral in their possession."

"That is completely unrelated!"

"...Master..." Finally released from the overwhelming tension from earlier, we had smoothly slipped into our normal routine. Gray, however, was quick to pull us out of it. "Someone else is coming."

The two of us turned to face the shadows in the forest that had taken Gray's attention.

In exchange for the two that had visited us earlier, this time it was a woman with dark scarlet hair.

"My my. After being in such a rush to take a look, isn't this an interesting guest?"

Seeing her, my brother's eyes went wide.

"You..." Looking long and hard at her features, he muttered as if short on breath. "...are completely unchanged."

"Hey hey, that's the first thing you have to say to me? Please, stop before you make me want to kill you, Lord," Touko replied with an undeniable ferocity.

From there, she pulled a pair of glasses out from her pocket. After putting them on, she smiled softly.

"A pleasure to meet you, Lord El-Melloi II. It truly is an honour. Introducing myself as Aozaki should be enough, I trust."

"Touko Aozaki..."

In the exchange between my brother and Touko, I was able to detect the hidden message.

Though I hadn't considered it earlier, the problem was her age. I didn't remember it exactly, but at the very least Touko's promotion to the rank of Grand was some decades ago. Even so, she unequivocally had the appearance of a woman in her twenties.

Please don't misunderstand.

This wasn't simply a matter of her putting on false appearances. Sure, in magecraft, there were any number of ways to slow down aging. One could even say that eternal longevity was the driving force that permitted the advance of magecraft as a whole. But her appearance wasn't even close to that level.

She was perfectly, exactly unchanged from her youth.

And not just her face. Her entire body seemed perfectly unchanging. True it was just an impression, but giving off such a first impression threatened all sorts of implications.

Of course, there were those who would take the opposite implications from that as well...

"Lord Byron explained the situation to me as I passed him on my way here," Touko smoothly shifted the topic of the conversation. "So you will be taking over this investigation?"

"That is my intention. I may be of small talent, but I will endeavour to expend all efforts I can."

"Ah yes. That defiant attitude indeed is so like Lord El-Melloi."

"...I believe this is the first time we've met, though."

"Ah, not you. I had some dealings with your predecessor. Long ago, I made a prosthetic arm for him, you see."

Gray's expression shifted.

"That was...in the Fourth Holy Grail War..."

"Ah, so you know already?" Touko said, momentarily surprised, earning a choked response from Gray.

"...you were involved in that War too?"

"Ah, no, please don't misunderstand. I didn't participate in the War directly at all. As he mentioned before, this is the first time I've met the current El-Melloi head face to face. Though I did have him pay for the work."

"...I see."

My brother cleared his throat, a hollow sound in the empty forest.

"I heard that your Sealing Designation was put on hold."

As expected, my brother had heard of Touko's change in status. Well, as part of the Clock Tower's leadership, him being familiar with the news around one of the few existing Grand's wasn't particularly surprising.

In contrast, Touko responded with an uninterested smile.

"For the time being,
    you
    the Clock Tower
    and I have come to an agreement. I wonder how many years that will last for."

She spoke as if it was an issue completely unrelated to her.

It seemed to her that the idea of a Sealing Designation, both feared and idolized by countless magi the world over, was nothing more than a boring news story to her. Was that the perspective of someone who had reached the pinnacle, a true Grand? Or was it a perspective uniquely hers?

"At any rate, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to meet you. I have high expectations of you, Lord El-Melloi II."

With a wave and a smile, Touko took her leave.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Ah, not you. I had some dealings with your predecessor. Long ago, I made a prosthetic arm for him, you see."
    Was this mentioned in Zero? I don't remember it.

also how old is touko
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Interesting and fun how Waver starts explaining how one's magecraft works as a threat~.

Makes me wonder if he could've easily explained Shirou's magecraft after a short observation of it if he ever saw it in action during the 5th War.

JP Friend Code
    Thanks for all these translations Twilight!!

*looks at BHP’s post* also Id be totally interested if you had plans to translate the GO event!

So what volume is this translation of? Volume 2 or 3?

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    2, I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Yeah it was. Not by name but when a puppet master is mentioned in a Fate work, there is a 95% chance it's Touko.

How the hell is Waver still alive?! I feel like any self-respecting magi should try murder him at sight

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
    How the hell is Waver still alive?! I feel like any self-respecting magi should try murder him at sight
    Because murdering a Lord at sight would bring you a lot of problems.

also how old is touko
    Let's say she's in her early-mid thirties here and leave it at that.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
    the scariest thing about El-melloi II is his students.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    also how old is touko
    She's been 20-something for at least 20 years, and probably longer. Also, she's guilty, already calling it.

- - - Updated - - -

In any case, since Waver is compared to Sherlock in so many ways, could he perhaps share an Origin in Deduction, or would that qualify as an "interesting" origin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    this is amazing
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Who among those knowing his past circumstances would have thought that he would have been reduced to such a condition? But in his eyes was a strong willpower that could be called obsession from which the stubborn, intolerant personality of the former prodigy magus could be vaguely perceived.

Although Kayneth had sustained great physical injuries that made it almost impossible to re-establish his glory, he had more or less retained the use of his hands through the contacts of the El-Melloi clan, exchanging an astonishing sum of money in gratitude to make a deal with a doll-maker residing in Japan, and through great difficulty had obtained the ability to move freely within the parameters of the wheelchair's mobility. His left little finger, covered in a thick layer of plaster, had also regained its sense of pain.

"Father, regarding my application— what exactly is the judgment?"
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Everytime you see something from Case Files, it makes it look like the savior TM needs, but does not deserve.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    That Discerning Eye, nice one Waver.

Thanks TC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 4 Part 2

Chapter 4

Part 2

-This time, for sure.

Once all the others had left, my brother began examining the body.

Unexpectedly, he didn't seem all that bothered by the corpse. At least as far as the examination was concerned, he seemed pretty well composed. Just because a magus never shied away from battles that risked his life, that didn't necessarily mean he was comfortable around dead bodies.

So, if we think about where he got over the innate human fear of dead bodies...there was, of course, only one answer we could draw. There really was no separating this man's character and that Holy Grail War.

Retrieving the body from the spring, he laid it on the ground and began inspecting its injuries.

"...cause of death, a single stab to the heart, huh?" he muttered quietly.

No matter how powerful a Magic Crest one may have possessed, if the heart is destroyed that's the end. This maid may have had some manner of familiarity with magecraft, but evidently it hadn't done much to help her. Conversely, we could say the culprit had absolutely no hesitation in their intent to kill.

"What's this?"

From under her clothes, he pulled out an ornament of some kind.

A necklace, made of a string threaded around a broken stone. The stone itself had a whirl engraved on it, meaning it likely had some sort of magical significance.

"...looks like a Celtic protective charm. Unfortunately, doesn't look like it did much good."

With a pained expression passing over his face for just a moment, he closed the corpses eyes.

"Let's make arrangements for the funeral tomorrow."

And after that, we returned to the tower so he could inspect the corpse of the Princess of Gold.

As we had requested, the scene of the crime had been preserved. Upon seeing the Princess of Gold's beauty, even in death, for the first time, my brother gulped. After giving the room a once over, we once again returned outside.

The place he chose next was the grass outside, where we could look at both towers. Feeling the warm wind brushing over us, he found a suitably sized rock and took a seat, as if to say he was done with walking.

After muttering something about how we couldn't talk about important matters in the living space of another magus, my brother had decided we couldn't stay in the towers. Within the territory of an old magus family, even each pebble would be carefully monitored and controlled, but compared to being inside their Workshop this was much better.

Sitting on the rock, after a short while he hung his head, rubbing his face.

"...I honestly thought I was going to die," he said, as if spitting it out from the deepest reaches of his stomach.

"Could you not sound so weak right after investigating so quickly?"

"I barely slept at all last night, you know. I couldn't sleep on the train, and since Windermere Station I was basically running to get here. And now it's just investigation after investigation! Can you please acknowledge my effort a little bit here?!"

For a moment, I wondered how appropriate it was for a Lord of the Clock Tower to be complaining like a greenhorn Salaryman. Though, I'm not sure any company would take in someone who said things like 'please acknowledge my effort.'

As if he needed it to stave off a headache, my brother pulled a cigar out from his pocket. Clipping the end with a knife, he lit it up before taking a deep pull.

"...for now, let's see if we can sort out this situation so far," he said in a puff of thickly scented smoke.

"For the incident? I gave you the gist of it in the text I sent you."

"No, what I want to get a handle on is how the Princesses managed to become so beautiful."

At that, I couldn't help but scowl.

"Wait a minute. Esteemed brother, did you not come here to find the killer and rescue your little sister?"

"...Master..." Even Gray's tone held a reproachful air.

"Hold on, this is important. For the investigation."

"...really now?" Surprisingly, it was Gray that elected to push back on him. No doubt it was because she knew that when it came to magi, this man had a particular penchant for getting caught up in the unnecessary details. Compared to his considerably lacking talent for magecraft itself, that was really a much more magus-like part of him.

"Alright, for now I'll take your word for it," I said. "What about the Princesses magic are you interested in?"

"Hold on, if you sound that bored by the subject, I'm going to get worried. Isn't the desire to become more beautiful something held by pretty much all women?"

"Not me, apparently."

Hearing my honest reply, he gave a deep sigh.

"You are either deceiving yourself, or living a far too brutal existence. Even among the actresses in Hollywood, there are huge numbers of people who look for plastic surgery. Especially today, there are all kinds of methods available. There are ways now that don't even need a scalpel."

"...really?"

Timidly, Gray spoke up.

Oh my. That is not where I expected her to get stuck. Yet it was hard not to hear just a little bit of gloom mixed into her voice. As I made a mental note to get some cosmetics for her once we returned to the Clock Tower, my brother nodded.

"Make up was originally magecraft, after all," he said, stroking his own cheeks.

"From what we can tell, the earliest cosmetics existed before we were even the humans we recognize today - tens of thousands of years ago. Afraid that things like insects, demons, or evil spirits could enter the body through the eyes, nose, ears, or mouth, they were painted with brilliant colours. Even today you can see cultures mimicking this, from the tribes in the depths of New Guinea to the Amazon Rainforest. In contrast to stopping evils, there were also cosmetics designed to invite in benevolent spirits or gods, something that has continued in the practices of Mediums even today.

While it was first used to ward off evil and insects, around the time of Ancient Egypt it changed drastically. In a famous example, there was the princess Nefertiti in the 14th Century BC. It seems she crushed lapis lazuli into a powder and used it as an eyeliner. Of course many cases involved the use of materials that were quite toxic, but it seems more than that they were recognized for the beauty they brought. Even despite knowledge of their toxicity getting out, the fact that such cosmetics became so widespread and were used for such a long time speaks volumes of the value that had been attributed to beauty even then."

As my brother continued going on and on, I couldn't help but feel that he was stranger and stranger. The bizarre feeling of the juxtaposition of a man who looked like he couldn't care less about the appearance of women giving a lecture on the history ofcosmetics was hard to shake.

Perhaps because he recognized that himself, he cleared his throat before continuing.

"If you consider plastic surgeries that did involve knives, the oldest techniques can be traced back to ancient India. At that time, there was a punishment practiced where the nose was chopped off, but there were also techniques that involved transplanting of skin to different places in order to improve the shape of the face. There were also techniques for piercing and extending the earlobes, all located in the Suśruta-saṃhitā, a medical text from the time. Well, the pursuit of beauty performed by the Iselma here is well above the examples we can see in history. According to the records, just the research they have done in this location exceeds ten generations of work - in otherwords, a length of time measurable in centuries."

At that point, my brother's speech briefly stopped.

As if to say he had no plan on moving on for a while, he silently shifted his gaze to me. His intention was so clear I couldn't help but snort.

"As long winded as always, I see, but in short what you want to say is the fact that their research suddenly bore fruit after all this time has to have some sort of catch to it. Am I right?"

"Precisely," he nodded.

Slowly, he spun a fingers in the air, a habit he had brought with him from the classroom. Holding his cigar in two fingers, he continued.

"In regards to that, a number of suspicious rumors have started springing up. Apparently, Iselma came into the possession of a considerable treasure last month."

"Treasure?"

Seeing my frown, he shrugged.

"It apparently came from a black market auction, so the details are beyond me. It was something in the sights of a number of magi, however Iselma apparently focused all of their resources on obtaining it."

At my brother's words, Gray spoke up in a curious voice. "Is the Iselma family that rich?"

"Not according to my knowledge, at least," he replied.

As such, it would not be strange if the Iselma had thrown themselves considerably into debt. Magecraft was already a cost-intensive profession. Pretty notions like 'equivalent exchange' were nothing more than window dressing. To produce even a single gram of gold, an equivalent value to a whole pool of it needed to be spent. That was the nature of magecraft.

After all, there existed such things that could only be achieved with such lavish waste.

"Speaking of which, we did hear a similar story before, didn't we? Something about a Talisman that he wanted so badly." I decided to leave out the fact that 'he' in this case was a self proclaimed spy.

Mick Grajilie. The man who had casually requested our help in destroying the Iselma family. It was such a bizarre request I had kind of forgotten it, but thanks to that we did have confirmation that this treasure really did exist.

"I see. So you are saying that this treasure must have been used to complete the Princess of Gold?"

"...well, that's what I thought at first, at least." Speaking somewhat haltingly, he scratched his head. "But no matter how I look at it, the time frame just doesn't add up."

"The time frame?"

"Right. I said it before, but the spell for the Princesses revolved around the Sun and the Moon. In short, whatever treasure they might have obtained, they would have needed to wait for that timing...but the movements of the moon have been all wrong for that. If it was just about the Moon, sure they could have just waited for it to move into the right position. But if you also are involving the Sun, then things aren't so simple."

Hearing that much, I finally understood something. "...I see. Being my brother, you are pretty bad with people, after all."

"What do you mean?"

Seeing Gray was also confused, I continued with a bitter smile.

"In short, your little show for Lord Byron, exposing the magecraft behind the Princesses, was really about determining whether it was the Sun and Moon behind it, no?"

"...ah." As if something had finally clicked in her head, the hooded girl's eyes went wide.

"I thought that it was a bit hard to believe that anger was all just an act. My, you have become quite settled in to your surroundings at the Clock Tower, haven't you?"

"...in order to avoid discovery by other magi, they will often give things intentionally misleading names. In that case, it still has to be somewhat close, or else the strength of the symbolism is lost."

I'll have to ask you to forgive me for enjoying your mumbled excuses so much. In exchange, I'll avoid pressing you too much farther on the subject.

"Though, considering the scenery here, there was really no need to hold such doubts."

"Hm? What do you mean?"

At my question, he narrowed his eyes at me, as if to say he was fed up with students like me.

"Oh come, there's no need to be like that. If you've realized something, surely you can tell your cute little sister?"

"Stop swapping places between student and sister to suit your whims. Anyways, take a look at those two towers."

As I was told, I turned to look at the towers. Just like when we had first arrived, the bizarrely leaning towers had the look of an antlion's nest. But from this angle, the angle of the sun put it in our field of view, matching its brilliance with long shadows.

(...hm? Shadows?)

As soon as I noticed that, I understood what my brother was trying to say.

"...ah!"

"...Miss Reines?" While Gray was inquiring quizzically, I was just holding my head. How could I have overlooked something like that? I couldn't even be angry at my brother for jabbing at me for missing it.

Pulling his cigar from his mouth, he puffed out a cloud of smoke as he spoke.

"They're a sundial and a moondial. Though with how grand their architecture is, it's normal to miss it."

"Ah-" At that, Gray nodded deeply.

The Tower of the Sun was actually an enormous sundial. I thought its lean was suspicious, but I never considered it had that sort of meaning behind it.

"...then, a moondial is..."

"In short, the same thing as a sundial. But a moondial only works when the moon is full. To add to that, really they don't have the correct slant on their own, but that's likely a correction to account for the tilt of the land itself. Do you understand now, Lady?"

"Yes. With a construction of this magnitude, there's no way the towers are unrelated to the Iselma magecraft - and thus, to the Princesses themselves," I answered, hanging my head. This was really making me feel pathetic. There was really no excuse for missing something this big.

"Then, when you said the formulas for the Sun and Moon didn't match up, you were talking about this clock."

"Right. The moondial of course would only be accurate once a month, but even the sundial has a similar level of error baked into it. The orbit of the Earth around the Sun is an ellipse, thus the necessity of calculating a more precise solar time becomes hard to avoid. As such, those who use spells involving the motions of the Sun and Moon together tend to rely on the precise solar time as it coincides with the full moon...but if they included the usage of their recently acquired treasure, the timing just doesn't add up."

"The timing?"

"Right. In reality, if you are using a spell that takes into account the motions of the Sun and Moon, the best time is a solar eclipse exactly at noon. Of course, that's because the Sun and Moon are then at the same location. The next best time after that would be at noon while the moon is full, an option creating a straight line directly through the Sun, the Earth, and the Moon. Technically in Astrology it's a bad omen, but in other fields of magecraft it's considered good circumstances."

Picking up a nearby stick, he began drawing a circle and pattern into the ground.

While I couldn't help being amused at the fact his habits as a lecturer didn't leave him even in these circumstances, after seeing what he was drawing, I blinked surprised.

"What, a horoscope?"

Effectively, it was a map of heavenly bodies.

Even if you weren't a magus, it was a pretty common sight in things like fortune-telling magazines. My brother continued drawing in the map, including the positions of the planets and the constellations.

"Right. Even if you aren't in the
    Animusphere
    Faculty of Celestials
    , this is at the absolute basic level. Anyways, for this option, you have at least one point a month, but there's a reason it's called the second best. On top of just being a bad omen, you also have to deal with interference from the positions of the other planets. The fundamental points are having the Sun and Moon in either the same or exactly opposite positions, but the relevant planets also need to be within the Trigon. In this case, since it's magecraft related to the Princesses, Saturn - the planet governing art and creation - needs to be within the 120 degree mark. With the positions of the planets in this past month, that's impossible. Oh, and we're working within Classical parameters, so Neptune and Pluto aren't taken into account."

Writing down the positions of the planets, he pointed out the position of Saturn at 120 degrees from the intersecting line of the Sun and Moon.

"I see...so the full moon at noon isn't enough to produce the ideal conditions. Come to think of it, I feel like a similar thing came up in my Clock Tower classes."

"It's vital information if you use any magecraft involving celestial bodies. Though if you aren't interested in the Sun and Moon specifically, you don't need to worry about the time of day."

After a brief moment of thought, I spoke again.

"So basically, this treasure may not have been used on the Princess of Gold?"

"...quite possibly."

As he began to mumble, my brother started tapping his temple. He had a very effeminate way of mulling over his personal theories...in short, like someone who was used to being poor, he never wanted to let any of his hypotheses go to waste. As such, his essays tended to push his ideas as much as they could. He was a man whose preferences and talents had unfortunately little in common.

After a moment,

"...And then, the fact that Touko Aozaki is here completely changes the line of thought we need to follow." The sigh that followed was even gloomier than before.

In a way, her presence here was a far more important mystery than discovering who the true culprit behind the murders was. It appeared that despite our respective silence, my feelings were communicated quite clearly.

"It seems you've given that some though, Lady."

"Yes, of course I understand," I nodded, letting my frustration leak out in my voice.

"Was the Princess of Gold that died even the real one?"

Ever since the presence of the Grand known as Touko Aozaki was discovered, it was a question that had been scratching incessantly at the back of my mind.

My brother pushed the question one step further.

"And on top of that, doesn't it make you wonder if one of the two Princesses is a puppet in the first place?"

"...eh?" Gray blurted out with a stunned expression.

As if her whole world had just turned ashen, she looked between the two of us.

"...a puppet...but the Princess of Gold we saw was human..."

"Right. She couldn't have been anything but human. But the moment Touko Aozaki is in the picture, you have to throw out all your preconceptions." Saying that, I raised two fingers. "The services she provides for the Clock Tower are varied, but there are two that she's famous for."

Yes, two things. I said that she was famous for them rather lightly, but in the Clock Tower, where the most elite magi of the world are gathered, there was rarely any research that deserved attention from outsiders. At a basic level magecraft was a discipline that focused on the past, but more than that the highly individualistic nature of magi meant they had little time to concern themselves with the research of anyone but themselves. As such, for something to get the attention of others, it needed to be powerful enough to completely overwhelm each observer's own individual research.

For magi that had spent a considerable amount of time in the Clock Tower, their own individual purposes and principles is generally what drove them into one of the long-standing factions. The Clock Tower was broadly speaking the best environment a studying magus could hope for, but those who truly wished to cooperate in search of the deepest Mysteries, prising free the secrets of the already entrenched factions was a precondition to even trying.

However, from what my sources told me, after wandering through a number of
    Value's
    the Faculty of Creation's
    classrooms, she ended up not aligning herself with any particular faction.

In any case, her work lined up as-

"First, the reconstruction of foundational runes that had fallen into decline," I said, dropping one of my fingers. "Rune magecraft itself is quite famous, and a certain portion of magi today have been using and researching it for a tremendous amount of time. However, most of them have been lost to time. Despite that, she was able to recover and reconstruct a large portion of those lost Runes. If the rumors are to be believed, even beyond recovering the 24 Runes of the Futhark alphabet that undergirds the magecraft as a whole, she also managed to parse out a number of Primeval Runes that were supposedly lost back in the Age of Gods. The rights to the former were sold throughout the Clock Tower, while the latter were apparently sealed away for safe keeping in case of her Sealing Designation being fulfilled."

The Clock Tower really pulled no punches.

Comparatively useful or low level formulas were regulated by way of patents, but the high level spells - the kind that could serve as the backbone for an entire faction, were sealed away in a treasure trove somewhere under the pretext of keeping forbidden magecrafts in check. Would that regulated knowledge ever find its way out to be used by someone? As far as Runes were concerned, the originals supposedly existed with the Thule Society, but it seemed to me like they were happy to hoard them away until the magical foundation of Runes declined to nothing anyways. Magi truly had an astonishing penchant for holding onto their secrets.

"The other is for her abilities as a peerless puppet maker," I lowered my second finger.

Gray responded by tilting her head. "...I thought...the Concept of Human Imitation was...?"

Of course, that was the same thing I had thought when the Automata first attacked us.

"Right. The circumstances are a little different than they were with Rune Magecraft, but the Concept of Human Imitation is certainly in decline. Which means, she has somehow managed to resurrect two strains of magecraft that were thought to be defunct."

Though Gray remained silent, I nodded strongly.

That's right. It was ridiculous. To bring two lost forms of magecraft back from the dead, even if imperfectly, felt more like a comedy. It was akin to bringing someone back from the dead, reaching into the realm of blasphemy. Who did she think she was, trying to play God like that?

But, that was of course why she was a Grand.

The ultimate peak of the Clock Tower, above even the highest realistic rank of Brand.

As if Gray had just realized something, she suddenly looked up.

"Then, that Automata was-!"

"Naturally, one would think it was a creation of Touko Aozaki..." I could feel my speech beginning to degrade.

Until now, I wasn't very confident. Of course, there were no other magi that could make such an Automata. If you looked at the whole Clock Tower, besides her...you'd be lucky to find one or two.

However, if that were the case, would she use an Automata like that for a crime against another magus? It was like leaving her nametag at the crime scene before leaving. She couldn't be that foolish, could she? Or perhaps, she had prepared another trap to corner us further should we attempt to expose her?

From the start, it didn't seem like there was much intention of trying to find the true culprit. If this was all a ruse to get at me as a member of the Barthomelloi faction, then that was certainly a possibility, but...

"...but there are plenty of other possibilities," my brother, who had been quietly listening, spoke up. "For example, an Automata made before the field collapsed could be refurbished to look new. Basically, the opposite of trying to make a counterfeit antique.

"...ah, I see."

That kind of crisp, clear jump to a new train of thought was very much like my brother.

The wind howled, as if taunting us. 'Only I know the truth behind this mystery.'

"...following that logic, would that mean the dead body was a creation of Touko's, and the real Princess of Gold is still alive?

"That's how it looks, doesn't it?"

"Then, the culprit's motive is?"

In response to Gray's simple question, my brother pressed his chin in thought.

"...at first, I considered it might have been a ploy by Iselma to strike a blow against us, but the risk doesn't appropriately match the reward. If there plan was to attack the El-Melloi, they'd need to do it at the lowest cost possible in order to strike a profit, as it were. As it is, they are far too deep in the game. Even if we are taken down, if it looks like an obvious trap, there's no way Barthomeloi will just sit back quietly and watch."

"...ah," I nodded.

"If their goal was to mire the Clock Tower in an all out war, then that's different, but the difference in strength between Trambelio and Barthomeloi isn't that extreme. It would just devolve into a bloody swamp where no one wins. Well, the Church would probably be happy with that, at least."

The Holy Church, who leaned towards the annihilation of Mystery, and the Magic Association, who leaned towards its preservation, were like water and oil. Well, from the start, it was foolish to think that an organization that existed to worship God and an organization that sought to discern the nature of magecraft would get along well in the first place.

According to my brother, many Western forms of magecraft operated under the presupposition of God's existence, but they viewed God more as a means to an end. To those who held a true faith in God, that was all the more unforgivable.

For a while after that, with the topic exhausted, silence settled over us.

"Oh, right." Suddenly remembering, I pulled a handkerchief out from my pocket.

Or to be more accurate, I pulled out the thing wrapped in that handkerchief.

"Dearest brother. Would you mind taking a look at this powder?"

It was the powder I had picked up at the scene of the Princess of Gold's death. I knew that it had a certain amount of magical energy in it, but beyond that I couldn't discover any more.

"Hmm...hold on a minute." From a small bag, my brother pulled out a magnifying glass.

An alchemist - or maybe more appropriately, a police investigator from a hundred years prior. He gave off that kind of impression, but somehow it felt appropriate for him. He was the type that just wouldn't get along with the magi of the Clock Tower.

"...is this some sort of ash?"

"I thought so as well, but beyond that I've got nothing."

My brother was oblivious to my shrug. For a while, he stared at the ash as if entranced. After staring through the magnifying glass for a while, he removed it and looked at it with his bare eyes. Then, he took a small bit in his fingers, and threw it in his mouth.

"Hey! Are you mad?!"

Without answering, he played with it in his mouth for a bit before spitting it back into his hand. After looking at it in his hand for a bit, he whispered.

"...ah, I think I know what this is."

"Oh? I thought your previous life as a dog was resurfacing or something."

"That's a pretty Eastern idea, if you're talking about reincarnation. But...Perrault? Basile? Or perhaps the Venus de Milo, all the way back from Greece?"

With his head bent down, he humbled for a while. It almost felt like he had forgotten I was there.

"...hey, you in there?"

"Please, let me think for a bit," he said, as if groaning.

Now that translation is finished, all that's left is editing them to post. I suspect I'll post part 3 tomorrow, and then Part 4 and 5 the next day. Maybe the Afterword, too, but we'll see. If I can find the time between bouts of rushing through the Lostbelts so I can actually participate in the Case Files GO event.

On another note, I feel like this is a stupid place to ask, but does anyone happen to have the digital version of Volume 3? I'm considering shelling out for it, since it seems like it would be considerably easier to work with than the print version, but I don't have much experience with Ebook stuff so I'm kind of hesitating. If anyone can tell me if 1) its text selectable (I can copy+paste text from it into other programs) and 2) how hard it is to lift images out of it, that would be super helpful as I sketch out how I'm going to approach the next volume.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen..._Files_v03.pdf

you can copy paste text, image lifting is difficult. I usually just print screen the image.
    If you actually buy the kindle version, you can convert everything into jpgs with after de-DRMing with calibre and also make a pdf like this and you'll have the pictures as separate files too.
    Last edited by You; April 27th, 2019 at 03:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Excellent, that's exactly the info I needed (and wanted). Thanks You.