Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1924272829

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

Blog Entries
    They glow red in the presence of mana, I think

- - - Updated - - -

Dropping her gaze, Gray spoke up in a reserved voice.

"Why are your eyes a different colour now?"

As Gray had pointed out, normally my eyes were a fiery red colour. Now, however, they probably looked more like a brilliant blue.

Gently touching the area around my eyes, I smiled.

"This is their natural colour, you know? Ah, now that you mention it, it's about that time isn't it?"

I took some of my eye medicine out from my coat. Holding my eyes shut, I waited for the medicine to soak in before opening them again.

"It's because of my particular kind of Mystic Eyes. When my eyes come into contact with magical energy, they start turning red as a side effect."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    So are Reines' Mystic Eyes just useful for telling her that there is magic in use somewhere or is there more to them than just going red and giving off a burning sensation?

Also I've been wondering, TwilightsCall, what was the cause of the schedule slip between Chapter 2 Part 2 & Chapter 2 Part 3? It was quite a long wait.
    Last edited by warellis; March 19th, 2018 at 09:28 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    On You's tombstone it will read
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's exaggerating my point.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    I volunteer to do the final editing again once this is finished when I compile the chapters into PDFs.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Spoilers
    Haven't they been spoiled for some time in the stuff discussed in the main Case Files thread?

Spooky Scary Counter-Guardian Balthizar's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Haven't they been spoiled for some time in the stuff discussed in the main Case Files thread?
    Case files is one of the few things I haven't been spoiled on. Since it's been one of my favorites so far, I'd like to keep it that way.
    Nasuverse in a Nutshell
    Gilgamesh fired weapons like rockets back in the day, Enkidu was a shapeshifting mud doll, Elizabeth Bathory had dragon blood, the origin of life is an insane giant, and vampires rule over humans in this odd way where they claim to be the apex of life and are perfect beings. Also every planet has super ultimate beings that are the apex of each planet and will one day come to Earth to rock our shit, and each of these ultimate beings are comparable to vampires.

Lostbelt P1 in a Nutshell
    Fighting Ivan the Terrible (who's a giant ice man with electric powers) on his giant mammoth while a giant Golem that's supposed to be Adam fights the mammoth. Meanwhile Salieri is playing the piano in the background.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    One might wonder why this took so long to come out. I'm sure there must be some really interesting story behind it, right?

...right?

Chapter 3, Part 1

Chapter 3

Part 1

The news of the Princess of Gold's death spread through the twin towers like wildfire.

In order to preserve the scene, I stayed in the room and sent Gray off to spread the news. The situation being what it was, it was no time at all before people began gathering in her room to see for themselves what had happened.

Her body was just too hard to take.

While it had its own beauty to it, it rather inspired dread. Whether dead or alive, her expression was still as always. If I hadn't thought to send Gray away to contact the others, I might have stared stunned at her remains for an entire day.

At any rate, within thirty minutes, the entire group of those who had stayed behind after the Social Assembly had gathered.

"...Miss Reines..."

First, Maio came in gasping for air, staring at the scene with wide eyes. His expression had given away that he was weak to this kinds of scenes, and at first it appeared as if he might faint. However, as if thinking now wasn't the time for such things, he seemed to harden up.

Next,

"Well, this has certainly taken a turn for the annoying," a dark skinned man said, scratching his head.

"And you are?"

"Mick Grajilie. Working for
    Jig
    the Faculty of Curses
    ."

Jigmarie
    The Faculty of Curses
    was part of the Neutralist faction with the Meluastea family.

With his hair cut short and his muscular frame, he looked like some sort of athlete.

Of course, even my brother could lift someone like Flat into the air one-handed once Reinforcement was taken into account, but it went without saying that such reinforcement would be many times more effective if the base level was higher.

"Ha! Ahahahaha! What even is this?"

The third person to enter the room did so with a dry laugh before sinking down to the floor.

"Unbelievable...to think someone would do something so horrible to the clothes that I made..."

The one now lamenting on the floor was a man with outrageous hair. I believed it was called a "blaze," his tremendous amount of hair tied into three wide braids. While it was a style popular among female black singers, his was even more complex, making it look less like hair and more like some sort of plant.

It seemed from his comments that he was more worried about the dress than the person who had been wearing it.

"And you are?"

"Islo...Sebunan. I am the one who made the dresses for the Princesses of Gold and Silver."

Later, I found out these were the first three to arrive because they had the shortest distance to walk to get here. Apparently they had intended to invite the Princesses to breakfast before returning home from the Assembly, so they had been lounging around tower.

The one thing they all had in common was belonging to the Neutralist faction.

Unlike the Aristocratic and Democratic factions, the Neutralist faction had no collective position when it came to the political disputes of the Clock Tower. Rather than vying for power, they instead focused their efforts on their research, and just like that a sizeable number of families had gathered under them. The strongest force within the Neutralist faction would be the Meluastea faction, but internal conflicts within the faction were plentiful.

The sound of wood striking the stone floor filled the room. As if the world itself had died, a mournful cry filled the room.

"But...how could...Diadra..."

"...sister..."

Their shaking voices made one think we were watching the performance of a tragedy.

In this room drenched in blood, the cruelest thing might have been showing it to these two.

"...Lord Byron, Princess of Silver..."

Similar to our first meeting with the Princess of Silver, her face was covered by a veil. Behind that thin veil was a face reminiscent of the Princess of Gold's, but her expression was invisible.

However, it seemed she was transfixed at the sight of the severed head, and the slowly growing pool of blood on the white sheets beneath it.

If that veil truly hid a face comparable to that of the Princess of Gold's, this place would be like a scene not even visible in heaven. In reality, despite the situation we were currently in, something in the back of my head started to heat up at the thought.

Then,

"I see. This is quite the issue," another voice called out.

Now, she wasn't wearing her glasses. Holding back her scarlet hair with a hand, her face had changed completely. With a cold voice, she spoke as she swept her gaze across the room.

"Oh dear," she shook her head. "That makes those of us left here the suspects, doesn't it?"

"Miss Aozaki!"

Paying no mind to Maio's chastising tone, Touko continued without breaking her smile.

"I don't dislike detective novels...though I had never imagined I would be a suspect in one. Really, I expected myself to be more of a victim type," she said her shoulders shaking with a faint chuckle.

After seeing the severed head of the Princess of Gold and inspecting the inside of the room for only a few seconds, she was already laughing, becoming more and more relaxed. I couldn't think of it as much more than incriminating behaviour.

"Now that I think about it, it is amazing. What on earth were they thinking, doing something like this in a place full of magi? It's enough to make you laugh."

"...what is?" Gray asked without hesitating.

"Think about it. I heard the story on my way here, but before you forced your way into the room, the door was locked, right? I've been here for a little while, so I heard about the locks on these doors. The doors to the Princesses' rooms are sealed by a Mystic Lock. It's a type tied to the wavelength of magical energy of the user, so any random person wouldn't be able to open it. They are used pretty commonly to seal treasure vaults in the Clock Tower as well. In short, no one except the Princess of Gold could have opened this door."

A Mystic Lock.

I had been told the same thing by Diadra. There were a number of different types of Mystic Locks, but in general they were a type of Mystic Code that used particular wavelengths of magical energy as a key. They had a number of disadvantages, from their high price, to the fact only magi could open them, to the nuisance it caused trying to switch who was capable of opening them. Even so, those disadvantages added a heightened level of security which made them popular in a variety of places.

And one of those locks was on the Princess of Gold's door.

Regardless of the fact the Princess of Gold was dead, the lock had been set. Which meant...

"...which means, this was a Closed Room."

For a moment, the room was filled with silence.

Because everyone had already reached that same conclusion. Even in the world of magi, it was an unreal situation - just like she said, we could only wonder what meaning such a state of affairs held.

"Well, when it comes to magi like us, killing someone in a Closed Room without entering it ourselves isn't something all that difficult. For example, your Volumen Hydrargyrum would be able to accomplish something like that with ease, wouldn't it?" Speaking carefully, Touko shifted her gaze to the silver maid standing at my side. "It's a common rule to suspect the one who first discovered the body, but...you were also the last ones to see her, weren't you?"

My heart suddenly jumped. I'd like it if you appreciated my ability here not to let my feelings show on my face. Suppressing the sound of the loudly racing heart in my chest, my voice came out perfectly even and natural as I responded.

"Is that so?"

"Lord Byron?"

At Touko's request, the gentleman nodded his head. Stiffening his body, he shifted his cane to his wrist and snapped his fingers. At that sound, two more people entered the room - the twin maids of the Princesses of Gold and Silver.

"Caleena, was it?" Calling to the maid that had been the Princess of Gold's personal servant, Touko asked her question. "What was it that Diadra and the El-Melloi princess spoke about last night?"

"I-I...wasn't present during their discussion, so..." Caleena hung her head, giving nothing away.

But there was no way Touko would let that pass. Unburdened by her glasses, Touko's cold and stubborn personality pressed the young maid for more.

"Yes, you weren't there, I am well aware. But surely you must have had some intuition as to what they were speaking about?"

For a while, Caleena remained silent, staring at the floor.

"Caleena."

This time Byron called the maid's name. As if unable to disobey the orders from her master, Caleena finally responded.

"Lady Diadra was...asking for asylum with the El-Melloi family."

Besides Caleena and Touko, the maid's confession earned a surprised gasp from all present.

(Dammit...!)

I bit my lip in frustration.

We were completely trapped. There was no way we could just pass this off by saying that we had no intention of granting that asylum. On top of that, being that we were the only ones here representing the Barthomelloi faction, we had no back up either.

"Caleena...why...?"

"Rejina..."

The remaining maid called her sister's name. Caleena and Rejina, was it?

Either way, her words were nothing if not lethal.

"...this is...something I can't overlook." With a dramatic tone, Lord Byron turned his attention to me.

Of course, there was no way I could be so brash as to say this was the first I had heard of it. Having been driven so thoroughly into this corner meant, at the very least, I had a good grasp on what had happened in the time since the Princess' death was discovered.

"I would appreciate an explanation, Princess El-Melloi."

"Yes...I had in fact received such a request from Lady Diadra." With the barest hesitation, I answered.

If I were to remain silent here, it would be the same as confirming everything they had said. If I was going to come up with some kind of refutation, I was going to have to think of it while I was talking.

"However, I give you my word I never laid a hand on her. After all, what would be the point in killing someone who had come to me to ask for asylum?"

"A fight ensued after negotiations broke down...doesn't sound so far-fetched to me," the dark skinned man who had been listening quietly until now - Mick spoke out.

Before I could even grind my teeth at his unsolicited opinion, I felt the gazes of every magus in the room snap to my hands and feet. If I were to do anything careless, I would be dead in the blink of an eye, and the few assets that remained with the El-Melloi family would be thoroughly seized.

Enemies on all sides.

After all, it was none other than I who had attended the Assembly.

"...Reines," Gray whispered. She was already in combat mode, her right hand hidden beneath her cloak.

"...no, Gray," I told her to stand down.

"But..."

"Yes, if you use that, we might be able to get out of here. But doing so would deal a fatal blow to the El-Melloi family. That is a much more severe problem than just my life."

Though I couldn't keep the bitterness from my voice, I explained our situation.

Ah, it was truly unfortunate, that my values were aligned so.

If it had been my brother, he probably would have had no issue running away. 'The people living now are more important than politics or the family,' he would no doubt say. 'That's why your only second-rate,' is how I would no doubt reply.

But I was not my brother.

Just a little, I felt some regret at that.

Lord Byron took a single step into the blood-drenched room before speaking again.

"In any case, it seems a more detailed investigation will be required."

"So it appears," I nodded. Remaining as calm as possible, I turned my hands palm up. "Until then, I'll be relying on your hospitality. I especially hope we can arrange some good tea and scones for breakfast. My stomach really won't settle for anything else. And we wouldn't want to put our new-found cooperation at risk now, would we?"

"Cooperation? What are you trying to say, Reines El-Melloi Archisorte?"

"It should be clear, shouldn't it?" In response to Byron's invocation of my full name, I replied in a voice feigning surprise. "I'm going to smoke out the culprit behind this incident. On the honour of El-Melloi family itself."

Well I'm happy to see it despite the delay. And hopefully the story behind the delay is interesting.

And it's great to see a detective novel slowly open up.

Considering what you said, was the translation for this really hard or it's tull of difficult words?

Or was it that you had to focus on your job or your life went down a sudden bad turn?
    Last edited by warellis; May 13th, 2018 at 10:38 AM.