Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4444952535455565964 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1388

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    My brief research didn't show any specific religious significance to the Linden tree (which Waver mentions the 菩提樹 has), and I couldn't find any references to which leaf appeared in the Siegfried legend, so I went with sacred fig. I can change it if someone can point me to a good source for the name of the tree in the original myth.
    This might help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythology of Trees; The Linden Tree
    In Slavic mythology the belief is held that the Linden tree is sacred and in many Eastern European countries it is upheld as ‘Holy’, as a result many villages and towns are named after the Linden. In Slovenia the tradition of Lime trees representing places where common decision making or matters of importance are discussed holds with many towns and villages having a Lime tree growing in its centre. For Slovenia the lime is their national symbol and as a result has been planted to commemorate numerous historical occasions over the centuries. The oldest of these being over 700 years old. Equally in Germany where the tradition of planting Limes in towns and villages existed, we can also see in Berlin with the ‘Unter den Linten‘ has had an avenue of Limes growing down it since the 16th Century, representing the cultural heart of the city prior to the second world war.

Throughout the Baltic, the tree is also associated with the goddess Laima who is responsible for the fate of childbirth, marriage and the patron saint of pregnant women. Laima’s relationship comes from the belief that she can take the form of a cuckoo while influencing the fate of those who desire it. For this reason people, and predominately women, have given sacrifice and prayed under the Lime in hope of gaining good luck and fertility.

In Celtic and Germanic tradition the Lime is seen to inspire fairness and justice and as a result evidence was heard beneath a Lime. These traditions have much in common with the Baltic traditions of Lime’s representing meeting places and cultural centres, along with the more gruesome tradition of administering ‘justice’ or sacrifice beneath a Lime.
    Also, I believe it was the Nibelungenlied that stated it was a Linden leaf that stuck to Siegfried.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also this is not the shape of a fig leaf
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Ah, yep. It's definitely in the Niebelungenlied:

"Als von des Drachen Wunden floß das heiße Blut, Und sich darinne badete der kühne Recke gut, Da fiel ihm auf die Achseln ein Lindenblatt so breit: Da kann man ihn verwunden; das schafft mir Sorgen und Leid."
    Original German (https://www.lernhelfer.de/sites/defa...U2-0216-05.pdf)

"When from the wounded dragon / reeking flowed the blood,
    And therein did bathe him / the valiant knight and good,
    Fell down between his shoulders / full broad a linden leaf.
    There may he be smitten; / 'tis cause to me of mickle grief.'
    And English version (https://www.gutenberg.org/files/7321/7321-h/7321-h.htm)
    Last edited by Byte; October 2nd, 2019 at 02:25 PM.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Works for me. It's been changed.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 3 Part 3

Chapter 3

Part 3

In response to Reines' question, the maid said nothing.

Next to her, the Princess of Silver also had her mouth shut tight. Whether he had been taken completely by surprise by the situation, or he was still rattled from learning of the fate of the Talisman, all Lord Byron could do was blearily look between them.

"Well?" Reines asked again. "The Caleena that visited my room with the Princess of Gold must have been you as well, no? Go ahead and deny it, or even acknowledge it, just say something. Or your master could say it for you, I don't really mind."

As expected, the maid said nothing. With a cold expression, she stood unfazed by Reines' attack.

Atram snorted with a sneer.

"Has our brilliant Lord El-Melloi II come up with some conjecture for this as well?"

"I was wondering if I should just come out and say it."

"Of course. You're the one who made a big deal about taking on this case. It's the job of the detective to tear apart even the smallest mystery involved, isn't it?" Perhaps still angry from learning the fate of the Talisman, Atram Galiasta's previous eloquence had turned sharp.

In response to that sharpness, my master's brow furrowed.

As if shedding light on this case was a punishment for himself, he just took a drag on his cigar. With a puff of strongly scented smoke, he spoke slowly.

"...the real Princess of Gold was likely killed as a by-product of Iselma's research. Progress in Iselma's magecraft was already eating into the test subjects' genetic nature, so if that was to be pushed far enough, death of some sort is more or less inevitable."

As the Princess of Gold had said before, Iselma's magecraft had already failed. At this point, it was hardly a surprise that the result of that failure was death.

"However, Lord Byron didn't stop there. At least, not until the end of his display party. Though the original Princess of Gold Diadra had died, he invited Touko Aozaki in, and through her efforts Caleena was made into an even more successful case. As a result, the Princess of Silver and her maid Rejina must have had to steel themselves as well."

"Because...the Princess of Silver...would eventually die as well...?" Islo said, his speech faltering.

But my master shook his head. "No. There's a bigger issue than that. After that party, many magi must have thought - with her, they could possibly reach the Root. If the Magic Association heard that, then?"

"Ah..." I unintentionally blurted out.

Because we had heard a similar story just recently.

With a bitter smile, Touko whispered. "...a Sealing Designation, huh?"

A talent recognized in a magus limited to only a single generation, unmatched and unmatchable in both their past and future. The answer, to preserve them forever alive. The greatest honour possible for a magus. So Lord Byron should have had no worries. So Estella should have had no reason to refuse.

"Strictly speaking, the Princesses of Gold and Silver aren't actually magi, so they may not qualify for a Sealing Designation. And even regardless of that, Iselma's research isn't something bound only to this generation, so it wouldn't apply anyways. But, if the Clock Tower thought there was a possibility for the Root to be reached, there's no way it could just leave it be."

Touko nodded. "-So, before running away, the Princess of Gold's body needed to be destroyed. I see, so after doing so, the Princess of Silver and her maid planned on fleeing. Is that right?"

That possibility had already been taken from them. No doubt, Iselma needed to make that clear.

Before news got back to the Clock Tower from the Assembly and a judgment was reached, there was a need to show Iselma's research had had a crippling setback.

"Most likely. The false accusations against Reines were likely for the same reason. If someone from another faction - ideally, someone famous from the Aristocratic Faction, could be roped into it, then everything could be resolved within Iselma and Valueleta. For that role, Reines was perfect."

"...thanks to a certain someone, my name's gotten pretty famous in the Clock Tower, hasn't it?" Reines remarked sarcastically, glaring at my master. Though her gaze was full of enmity, I felt it was of a completely different nature than that shown by Atram.

My master continued.

"In short, the fact the Princess of Gold had requested asylum wasn't entirely a lie."

"Most likely, they had seriously considered it. But, they didn't trust Reines enough to actually bet on that."

Naturally.

Entrusting your life to a magus you had never even truly spoken to before was insane. It was no wonder Reines herself had been suspicious when she was asked. You couldn't trust a magus to act with common sense, let alone morals or ethics. While it was likely a plan they considered, there was no way they would have actually attempted it.

As a result, rather than abandoning the idea entirely, they used it as a roundabout lure to draw Reines and myself into finding the body of the Princess of Gold.

"In general, the moment Lord Byron saw the body of the Princess of Gold, he should have known it was the true Princess of Gold. After all, none other than he could have cut her to pieces like that. Oh, and I feel like I shouldn't have to explain the need for the body to be cut apart. As a magus, it is a matter of course to retrieve as much data as possible for the sake of the next test subject."

Lord Byron's mouth was firmly shut.

Neither did any of the magi gathered around him cast him any blame. After all, that was the ethics and common sense of a magus - the natural course for someone so immersed in that world.

"So, Lord Byron must have struggled to pick a culprit to blame. At that stage, there were any number of possible choices. After all, it made sense even for his supposed friends in the Valueleta faction to take action to trip him up. As far as he was concerned, virtually everyone had sufficient motive."

Factional Warfare.

The magi that would struggle with each other even within those factions.

The world in which my master and Reines had been ensnared since long ago.

"However, the second incident is different."

Suddenly, his tone changed.

"...master?"

"The first incident was entirely a farce, a front to cover up for the death of the Princess of Gold. During the chaos that ensued, the Princess of Silver and the maids should have made their escape. As such, the death of Caleena was entirely unnecessary."

"...what do you mean?"

"Of course, there is an actual murder here. One is Lord Byron's accidental killing of the original Princess of Gold. And second was Caleena, who was killed by-"

At that point, he stopped.

A silence so thick settled over the room, even the sound of someone swallowing could be clearly heard.

Faintly, the Princess of Silver and her maid began to shake.

"-by you," my master finished, pointing.

At the other end of his finger was standing only one person.

From the Neutralist Faction.

The young, pale man from
    Brishisan
    the Faculty of Folklore

The pharmacist Maio Brishisan Clynelles' eyes went wide.

minor spoiler for this part
    Apparently Sanda wasn't satisfied with the last cliffhanger, so he figured he'd try again.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I'd say the last one was rather effective. Though an update already! And the plot thickens, though I kind of already suspected those two end conclusions to be the case.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Maio?! Pourquoi?!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

"How dare this rando masquerade as my beloved childhood friend, and even surpass her!!" Or something like that is my imagined motive

Considering You did tell us the Iselma are basically the spiritual successors to the Tohno family, I imagine that or something more fucked up.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 3 Part 4

Chapter 3

Part 4

In the center of the lobby, Maio shook his head in a daze.

With a thump, he fell on his backside, scrabbling away from my master as his head moved from side to side.

"N-no...I...I..."

"Perhaps I should explain a bit further," my master's voice was terrifyingly cold.

As before, I felt a kind of self-recrimination in his tone.

"Flat."

"Yes!" As if he had been waiting just for this moment his hand shot up, showing off some clothes and a bag he had been carrying. "Like the Professor said, these were hidden near that spring!"

A travel bag, and the Princess of Gold's clothes.

By seeing those, I somehow understood what had happened. Once the magecraft had dissolved, Caleena went to that spring to change clothes. And in order to escape Lord Byron, she had prepared a travel bag and hidden it near that spring so she could make her escape right away.

"In many of the legends of Siegfried, he also spent time near such springs. For example, washing off the blood of the dragon, and also when he went out to meet his death. Of course, that has meaning too when it comes to Magecraft...but no, it's not so difficult. I was about eighty or ninety percent sure before, but it was just now that I became absolutely sure that you are the culprit."

The whodunnit was meaningless, my master had said.

Even the howdunnit was meaningless, my master had said.

If the culprit was a magus, there were any number of ways they could obfuscate those things. There were more tricks than you could count. Walk through a wall to make a closed room if you felt like it. Throw a single curse, and your job is done.

But.

Whydunnit, however meagre a finding, is the one exception to the rule.

"The only ones who could cover for Rejina and the Princess of Gold are you and Islo, correct?" my master whispered.

For the first time, at those words, the Princess of Silver and her maid began to waver.

"And the reason it couldn't be Islo is Trimmau. If it was the Grand Touko Aozaki or Lord Valueleta, then putting a stop to Trimmau would be possible. Even Atram Galiasta might be able be able to accomplish that."

"...no need to say 'might,'" Atram spat.

The fact that he left it at that was ample evidence that he had no confidence he could stop the mercury maid standing right in front of him.

"However, you two are far too specialized. For a weaver or a pharmacist, forget stopping her, they could hardly defend themselves. Stopping her completely would require an intimate knowledge of the formulas and construction of the Mystic Code. While my student Flat is particularly skilled at that I guess, in reality it's a rather difficult thing to accomplish. At the very least, I certainly couldn't. For you, it would require a chance to see and inspect Trimmau from up close. And as I heard from my sister here, apparently she did in fact let her guard down for a certain someone."

"...I was nervous from being in enemy territory. Don't be so harsh, dearest brother."

Ignoring Reines' pleading, my master continued.

"On top of that, adding the blood to Trimmau's hand was a step too far. There was just no need for it. Reines was already cornered, a suspect for the murder of the Princess of Gold. That made me think the culprit behind the Princess of Gold's incident and Caleena's murder were different people."

"...then, actually..." Islo said, pain clear in his voice as he turned around.

Looking at his childhood friend, his eyes seemed only to see a monster wearing an old friend's clothes.

This time, the pharmacist denied nothing.

Still sitting on the floor, he began to smile. His shaking stopping completely, his mouth spread in a wide, crescent grin as he sat their perfectly calm.

"...but..."

Finally, Maio spoke.

"...why...why is what I did wrong?"

His voice echoed in the lobby, painfully hollow.

There was no doubting our ears. In Maio's eyes we could see a conviction greater than that of a man who had received a direct revelation from God, his question a sincere plea.

No, that wasn't right.

Because even I felt that he was correct.

"I-I knew her, since l-long ago. S-since forever. I-I knew her b-better then anyone! B-but I didn't know that woman at all!"

Which woman did he mean, I wonder?

The true Princess of Gold, Diadra?

The maid Caleena that had always been at her side?

Or...

"...s-so, I thought I'd gather a little bit of her, f-from before she died..."

Probably, it was before Reines found those footprints, and sent Trimmau off to track them.

Just like us, Maio had tried to figure out who had killed the Princess of Gold. Or maybe he hadn't even thought of finding the culprit. Maybe just like he had said, he was just trying to gather up some of the lingering essence of her life. If he was capable of Strengthening his senses, then he would have no problem following the footsteps just as Trimmau had done.

And when he came across Caleena at that spring, she had likely been making her preparations to flee from Lord Byron.

"W-when I asked her, I was surprised. After all, she said Caleena was the P-princess of Gold. I-I couldn't b-believe her at first, b-but, could you imagine how happy I was? Because! Because! D-Diadra may have been dead, but the Princess of Gold was alive! T-that beauty was, even if it was just a piece, was still there!"

Maio shouted.

Pushing through his stammer, he poured out everything in his heart. After being enchanted by the results of the Cinderella Spell, he was like an evangelist spreading the greatest gospel.

"B-but! She said she was running away! S-She was going to run away from Lord Byron, she was going to take the Princess of Silver and Rejina away from the Towers! S-so, she asked me to help!"

As far as she thought, Maio was a reliable childhood friend.

Even if he found out the truth, he would no doubt help them. That's why she told him everything.

But they weren't thinking along the same lines.

No, their thoughts were running in the exact opposite directions.

"That...that, would be, unforgivable, right?! She was dead, so, that beauty should have been reclaimed! E-Even if she died, I had to stop her! The research for the Princess of Silver, had to continue! I mean, we s-saw! We saw the end! We had already t-tasted it, so we needed to keep, moving, forward! That's what a m-magus has to do!"

...he was right.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he was saying.

In the face of that _____, a single person's life, a single person's freedom was worth as much as dirt.

If you could recreate that, you would gladly offer up dozens, hundreds of lives.

That's why I had decided to become that hero. I accepted my changed self, because I thought I should make the people of my home happy. No, even now it wasn't too late. Add was still with me.

"-h-hey! Gray! Gray, keep it together!"

The voice coming from the box at my right hand seemed ever so far away.

Why did I need to hesitate? All I had to do was take that path. The one who had to confess their failure to do the right thing was me. The time to get on the floor and ask for forgiveness was now.

But, the back of someone wearing a black suit stepped in front of me.

"...you weren't wrong." The one who spoke was my master. "As a magus, you weren't wrong at all."

"...Lord El-Melloi II," Inorai muttered softly, her hand on her chest.

Ignoring her, my master continued.

"As a magus, sacrificing your childhood friend for the sake of achieving your dreams is a natural course."

In the darkness of the lobby, Maio's eyes began to waver.

Like a lost child who had found salvation, a cruelly innocent smile lit his face.

"T-t-then..."

"But-if that's the case, why didn't you ask her to die?"

My master's strike was straight, true, and sharp.

Even the other magi watching stared wide-eyed, wondering what he was getting at.

"W-what-"

"Rather than jumping straight to murder, why didn't you just ask your childhood friend to die for you? 'I want to see the ultimate beauty one more time, so please let me tear you apart!' Why didn't you ask? If that was your dream, why didn't you ask the Princess of Silver, or Rejina to do the same? Why didn't you declare it openly and proudly?"

At my master's words, Maio's mouth flapped open and closed soundlessly, as if he was trying to blow bubbles.

"-I-I-I, would never..."

"'I would never ask for something ridiculous like that,' right? Is that the best you can do?" My master spat, his distaste as sincere as I'd ever seen.

Those harsh words were enough to snap my brain out of its fuzzy state.

For some reason, I smelled iron.

The black suit that wrapped his tall frame seemed like an impervious suit of armour. The wavering smoke rising from his cigar seemed like a silver spear. As if he had come from a distant land, posing that question in front of me.

"You didn't have the will to trample any number of countries under foot, lacking any sort of divine will or moral cause, just to sate your desires. 'I want to see the farthest sea.' For a single desire like that, you couldn't squander the glory and pride of armies and Maharaja, you couldn't array armies to drive you forward. You have so little faith in your own purpose, and you think you can make your dreams come true?"

In my master's voice was something, something that said he would never waver on this one point.

A voice as if he had seen the very end of the world with his own eyes.

Even if that was something he had never seen himself, even if it was just a lingering shadow over his heart from seeing another person's world, that deep-seated dream was something no one could ridicule.

"Whether you call yourself a magus or you don't, for a person the Ego is absolute. No matter what good you accomplish or what evil you sow, no matter how many people you save or how many people you hurt, none of that is relevant. Even if it's just a misunderstanding or a misconception, if that's the way of life you've chosen, stick out your chest and be proud of it. If you are willing to fight for your own sake, then at least spill some of that self-righteousness on those around you. If that's what you think, then say it with pride before we get caught up in these stupid games. 'I saw Caleena trying to run away, so I killed her!'"

Because you didn't do that, you lost.

Because you couldn't do that, you're here crawling on the ground.

The meaning of his words cut deep into me. I didn't think that his morals were anything so great. For a normal person, let them be normal. For a
    monster
    magus
    , a
    monster's
    magus'
    ethics and common sense were fine. But both of those lived in him.

In a way, perhaps it was to be expected. Magecraft itself was history, was ideology. For my master, who had dismantled all kinds of magecraft, his knowledge of the architecture of ideology had to be greater than anyone else's.

Lord.

Regardless of bloodline or talent, one of the twelve magi crowned as kings of the Clock Tower.

To Maio's blank stare, my master spoke.

"-Your ambition is nothing more than greed."

The sentence was passed.

Somehow, I felt I heard the sound of the blade of a guillotine falling.

Now that a sort of calm had settled on the lobby of the Tower of the Moon, with an expression like the taste of his cigar had just turned sour, my master's gaze turned to the side.

"Why did you cover for him?"

As always, the Princess of Silver's face was unreadable behind her veil.

But this time, she finally spoke.

"...actually, we had intended to run away that night. We would have, had Maio not killed Caleena."

"So, why?"

"You understand, don't you? You said yourself that you only understood the reason. -Rejina?"

In a beautiful voice, Rejina answered.

"As her twin, though limited, I was able to feel her thoughts and feelings."

Among magi, it was common enough. After all, urban legends of twins having a telepathic link were a dime a dozen.

"But, I was able to clearly perceive her thoughts before she died...her desire to save Maio."

"Since a young age, Maio had eyes only for my sister Diadra. In the same way, Caleena had eyes only for Maio."

What was the best name for a relationship of that sort?

Could you call it love? But, did Maio see anything past Diadra' beauty? After all, he so innocently rejoiced in the Princess of Gold's return when he heard of Caleena's transformation.

Even so, did Caleena still have feelings for him?

I couldn't understand.

...no.

That had to be a lie.

I did understand. After all, even for all those people in my old home who wished for nothing more than for me to become that ancient hero, I never could bring myself to hate them. I would lose to the rejoicing of the people there at some point, wouldn't I? At least so I thought.

"That's why we decided to cover for Maio. That was all."

Almost as if relieved, Touko muttered.

"-in the end, if you had asked her to die, she might have just done it."

I can kind of see now why You compared them to the Tohno. Also, it was nice to see Waver spell out his ideology in such a forceful manner. Iskandar would be proud.

I like how Waver cut to the matter so succintly, that Maio was ultimately just greedy and didn't even have the strength of will to ask his friend if she was willing to die for him for that goal, instead just taking it.

If this ever gets animated, that moment would be one with an close cut of Waver's face, an epic, stately, yet resolute score, maybe an Iskandar superposition, and a cut to an absolutely flabbergasted, sweating Maio.

Throw the whole family away, what a convoluted messy situation, no one except maybe Islo is innocent in this.

Gray almost gave in to her insecurities, thank goodness for Waver. Though it's amusing how much of Gray's past was spelt out in this volume but the anime never gave much info.

It was honestly kind of terrifying how easily Gray almost accepted Maio's logic before Waver cut in.

She needs lots of hugs. Waver, I'm counting on you.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Almost home.

Chapter 3 Part 5

Chapter 3

Part 5

"I would also like to ask you, Lord Valueleta," my master whispered. "Regardless of the plastic surgery, you should have known something was up with the Iselma family. At the very least, you knew that the Princess of Gold shown at the party was a fake, no?"

"...did I now?" she answered with a small shrug. Looking around the room, as if deciding she couldn't quite deceive everyone, she let out a small sigh. "Well, I had my suspicions. The Iselma family was doing quite well, but they shouldn't have produced any results for another few generations. Then rumors started sprouting up about how they had skipped right to the end, to the point even my idiot student started poking her face into things."

"And so you let Atram Galiasta go wild in an attempt to flush that out."

"Something like that," as if she had given up, the old woman confessed.

From her perspective, the sudden contact from Atram must have been a surprise blessing. Perhaps it was the presentation of the Princess at the Social Assembly, or maybe Iselma's participation in that black market auction. Maybe even earlier than that, but regardless, something happened that necessitated a deeper look into Iselma's work. Her taking on Mick Grajilie must have been for that reason as well.

"-and from me, one more thing," Touko Aozaki said, turning to Inorai. "I've always wanted to ask, but how did you react to the news of my Sealing Designation?"

"I thought it was a good idea. You are one of the best possible choices to be selected for a Sealing Designation in this era. When asking others around me, they all supported it too. That Touko Aozaki and her Magic Circuits should be preserved for eternity in the depths of the Secret Judgment Division."

Inorai replied without a hint of hesitation.

As if to say, it's your own fault if you asked the question without thinking it through.

That was Lord Valueleta.

The very human, large-hearted smile that she showed at the Social Assembly was definitely not a lie. But at her core, she was the ideal magus. If she believed it would lead to the development of magecraft, she would sell out one of her students to a Sealing Designation without the least bit of hesitation. The ideal Lord.

That was no doubt the ideal way of being for a Lord of the Clock Tower.

"I figured as much," Touko replied gently.

-in the next moment, Touko looked down at her chest.

Sprouting there was now a green blade. Looking at it as if confused, Touko tilted her head to the side.

From inside Touko's body, the root of some strange plant was now protruding.

"-I-I-I, I d-did it!" A voice stammered out from its place on the floor.

As if he had suddenly grown old, over the past few minutes Maio had grown to look extremely exhausted. Now, he held a bottle of medicine in his fingers.

"...ah, the drug, is it?" As if it was no more than a nuisance, Touko muttered.

Did the memory blocking drug Touko was forced to take have something else mixed in? Most likely, some sort of plant that responded to some chemical in the air with sudden, explosive growth.

"Hahahahahaha!" The pharmacist laughed. "W-what good is a Grand? That title is meaningless! She's the only one that has meaning! The end of Iselma's...the end of my dream! Isn't that right, Lord Byron?!"

"M-Maio..." Lord Byron said, still having difficulty keeping up with the current situation. The despairing, grief-stricken gentleman could only shake his head from side to side dumbly, as the bone-thin face of the pharmacist roared with laughter.

"O-one more time! You just n-need to create it, one more time!" As he screamed, he turned to face his two childhood friends. "P-please, for my sake! O-one more time, do the plastic surgery on her! O-on the Princess of Silver, or Rejina! Whichever you like, j-just cut them up!"

It was like he had gone mad.

In contrast, Touko was deathly calm.

"Or else, you'll kill me here?"

"Yes! T-that root is wrapped around your h-heart! Around all your internal, organs! I-if you try to break that spell, it'll t-take all your insides with it! N-no matter what kind of amazing, Magic Crest, you have, you'll just die..."

"Well that doesn't mean much. I don't have a Magic Crest in the first place, so I guess that's that." Touko drew some sort of symbol on the root protruding from her chest. In the next moment, it withered and crumbled away.

However, she did nothing to close the hole it left. With a hole now in her chest the size of a fist, she spoke lazily.

"I see I see. It was sloppy of me to let my memories get erased like that, but since it would let me start fresh all over again, I figured it would let me enjoy it even more. Man, I have a terrible personality. Thanks to that, the ending is going to turn out a little disappointing. I have nothing against you, Maio, but at this point there's nothing I can do to stop it." Touko looked up at thte ceiling. "Recently, I've been dividing things up. Though there recently haven't been so many attempts on my life around the Clock Tower...I see, I didn't tell you, did I?"

A strange cracking sound filled the air.

Not like one that sends waves through the air, perceived by the ear.

Something more fundamental - a kind of friction that didn't belong in this dimension.

A sharp, scraping sound, that felt like it was being perceived directly by the soul.

"Sorry, but I'll have to ask you to hold this for me for a bit," Touko said, throwing a small paper box to my master.

A box of cigarettes.

Inorai's expression shifted. "Touko, you-"

"Haha, of course you figured it out," Touko said with a smile, the bizarre otherworldly sound increasing in volume as she did so.

No, I was the only one who understood.

(...when we were fighting, in that forest...)

At that time, I felt a bizarre presence from the too-large bag Touko carried with her.

An extreme, despair inducing magical energy that made me wonder if it could even stand up to Rhongomyniad.

Now, that same feeling was leaking out of Touko's own body.

This was the true form of the contents of that bag.

"Long ago, I got done in by surprise, so I've learned to take some countermeasures. Now, it's in here - oh, and don't worry. It is restricted to acting as a Counter. As long as you don't get in its way, it won't hurt anyone but the person who attacked me. Lord El-Melloi II, I'll be dropping by later to pick up those cigarettes."

With another crack, Touko's stomach broke open. Clothes, bone, and flesh alike split apart as if she was no more than a statue - and inside the open wound, a kind of 'door' awaited.

An oppressive darkness.

Not endless, but without dimensions altogether - an eternal, infinite hell.

I learned later from my master that that monster had no name. Since its existence was only known through Touko's magecraft, no one had managed to discern the nature of the Mystery that lay behind it. There was the possibility that even Touko was unaware of the truth behind that beast.

It was like a horror movie.

Unspeakably silent.

Understood by no one.

And more than anything...immortal.

Within the depths of that ceaseless darkness, where no magecraft could ever hope to reach it, two lights shined.

-the two eyes I saw at that time!

To the sound of Lord Byron's strangled scream, Touko's body completely broke apart, the shadow within her bursting forth.

Like a thorned plant, a clawed tentacle shot forward, taking hold of the pharmacist that had hurt its master.

"Maio!"

In response to Rejina's scream, Maio could only give a muffled grunt.

It appeared like he had already given up.

In less than a moment, he would be dragged into the 'door' that was Touko Aozaki, where he would be devoured by thousands of sets of jaws.

Ah, that's right. There's no way to respond to that.

In a way, it was on the same level as that temporary Princess of Gold. Though thoroughly its opposite, that monster's existence was enough to completely crush the soul of a human being. Even had it only been big enough to devour you one fingertip at a time, terror would overwhelm all other sensations.

The end. The end.

The incident, everything, everything was over.

Like some sort of Deus Ex Machina, everything would be concluded here, bite by bite.

(...is that okay?)

Someone asked.

A question posed to me, from myself.

I was afraid of that hero of the past that tried to overtake me.

This person had just been overwhelmed by that absolute _____.

Really, the difference between us was small. The difference between offering up oneself, or another. Whether we had a chance afterwards or not.

Thanks to that small difference alone, I was going to stay here, and Maio was being taken away.

"Hey, Gray!"

A voice called from my right hand.

Before, when that voice called out to me, and I was snapped out of it by my master's bold proclamation.

But this time? Was this just a trick of the imagination? Was this just a selfish illusion, forcing myself on someone whose circumstances were similar to mine?

"..........I....."

My voice spilled out.

At that moment, while still broken completely apart, Touko's eyes turned to me.

It seemed to me like she was smiling.

Like she was telling me to do as I liked. To live as I wanted to.

Up until this point, she must have been the freest person I had ever seen. And that was her assurance.

"---aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAH!"

My body moved.

In one leap, I crossed the five meters between us. Before anyone could move to stop me, Add had deployed, and the latent magical energy in the air had already been absorbed. With one powerful stroke, the thorned tentacle was severed.

Though Maio had already lost part of his legs to the beast, he was still alive.

"Maio!"

Rejina and the Princess of Silver ran up to him.

Even after hearing him attempt to offer their lives up for the sake of magecraft, their feelings for him had not disappeared. No doubt, their relationship was unbreakable. Though it had little to do with me, the thought that such a bond existed somewhere in the world was not unpleasant in the least.

"Gray!"

"...sorry."

With one more slash at the tentacled creature, I apologized.

I could feel the movement of magical energy. Touko's - no, the beast within the box that had once been Touko had turned to view us as enemies, and seemed to be changing its approach for that fight.

"He is the same as me. Just me, but a little bit braver."

If I had completely given up, then I would have been entirely overtaken by that past hero.

Even if I could use Add, I would become someone more worthy.

The people of my home would no doubt rejoice. After all, the clumsy person I was now would have ceased to exist.

But how was one to express that feeling?

Despite my obviously insufficient explanation,

"...good grief." My master nodded. He turned to look at that darkness, that box where a shapeless blackness was all that could be seen. "Seems like there's nothing I can do. But, the time and space within which it can act here should both be limited. I see, the perfect disposition for a horror movie. Vampires are loved because they are only unstoppable at night, zombies are feared because they can't speak at all. What a fitting creature for her to have made."

Muttering in admiration, he turned to the curly-haired youth beside him. "Svin, how much do you think you can handle?"

"I should be able to do seventy percent."

"Please."

In response to my master's quick request, Flat jumped in.

"W-wait, Professor! Aren't you going to ask me?!"

"Quiet. All you're going to do is get hit in the head and pass out again, right?"

"Well, yes, but! But hey, looking lightly on concussions is a big mistake! I might end up developing a snore or something terrible like that! Actually, I heard near-death experiences can bring up flashes from your previous lives. What do you think, Professor?"

"Svin, help Gray fight off that tentacle thing."

"Yes sir!"

Plainly ignoring Flat, he gave Svin instructions before turning to the other boy.

"Flat, see if you can interfere with the spell realizing that space."

"On it, Professor!"

With a carefree nod towards me, Flat drew some sort of magical sign with his fingers before touching the ground.

Beside him, Svin had wrapped himself in the form of the Phantasmal Wolf.

"Reines, support please."

"Yes yes, I figured you'd say something like that." As if satisfied by something, Reines dropped the hand that was coverig her right eye. Reclaiming the part of her that had turned into the star map, the mercury maid moved into a battle ready formation.

Then, my master called out from behind us.

"Lord Valueleta, Mick Grajilie. We will deal with that. Could we ask you to take care of Lord Byron and the Princess of Silver?"

"Well, I guess they are supposed to be my allies," Inorai accepted.

Lord Byron was still stuck in a daze.

No doubt, it was because he had looked directly into those eyes. Even to a magus who was well accustomed to the supernatural, after his life had been taken apart right in front of him, it was more than enough to drive him into abject despair. Even in this situation where he might die at any moment, he seemed completely unaware.

"If the boss says so, not much I can do," Mick said with a shrug.

At any rate, coloured sand had already spread to make a sort of Boundary field, showing the two of them were more than ready to do what was needed the moment that monster had appeared.

Finally, my master turned to the last person.

"I thought you would have run by now."

"Of course, that is my intention. However, since the chance is here, I figured I'd take the opportunity to measure your abilities." Atram replied, in a surprisingly good mood. Whatever had caught his interest, his eyes shone like they were watching over the work of a good friend.

"Spectating isn't free of charge, you know."

"Naturally," Atram replied with an exaggerated bow.

Apparently, that was sufficient for my master, as he then turned to me once more.

"Gray."

"...yes?"

"Well done."

Surprised, I lifted my face.

"This is an incident I said I would take responsibility for. Leaving the culprit to that monster would be a mark against the El-Melloi family's honour. Let's end things, by ourselves."

There was no way that was true. All he was doing was trying to make a lame excuse to make up for my selfishness.

How ridiculous. It was a gesture sweet enough to make my heart hurt.

"Here it comes."

Suddenly, the monster seemed to have made its choice.

From within that dark 'box,' the thorned tentacles were released all at once.

But by that point, the impulse driving me had already found its course, too.

"-here I go."

With an explosive speed, I leapt straight towards it. Making use of the magical energy spilling from it, I Strengthened myself. Then, relying on my sharpened senses and reflexes, I slipped through the gaps between the thorns, modifying the form of my scythe slightly to deliver a powerful strike.

Altogether, seven tentacles were cut apart.

Spinning again, I brought the scythe down once more.

The magical energy pouring out of that creature was so vast I almost hesitated to take it in. But even as I felt my Magic Circuits and nerves begin to corrode at the contact, I didn't. There was no reason to hesitate. This was as a desperate last stand - I couldn't afford to leave room for regrets.

Svin also grabbed a nearby tentacle, using his strength of his phantom body to tear it apart.

"Don't think you can just finish it," my master called out from behind. "If you try to wield too much magical energy at once, you'll just stimulate the main body to further action. Wait for Flat's analysis."

In short, Rhongomyniad was off limits. Even if that weren't the case, there was no way I could show that spear in front of a Lord who was, at least in name, an enemy.

As if in response to our attack, the thorns multiplied.

Would Svin and I alone be able to hold them back? Overcome by a sudden nervousness, I swallowed.

When suddenly, my body was wrapped in silver.

"-huh?"

"I really didn't want to have to debut it in a place like this," her voice was legitimately upset.

My arms and legs glowed with silver. Wrapping about my entire body - Volumen Hydrargyrum had transformed itself into a beautiful suit of armor.

"Allow me to lend you my dress. Steel yourself," Reines said with a smile.

Enduring the pain in her eyes, Reines focused on operating Volumen Hydrargyrum.

It took careful effort to align the Mystic Code's movement with Gray's, in a way that would disrupt neither her movements nor the Mystic Code itself.

From the beginning, Reines' magical energy was far and away inferior to her predecessor's - the previous Lord El-Melloi, Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald. She just didn't have the reserves to throw Volumen Hydrargyrum around on a whim like he could.

However, Lord El-Melloi II had discerned a different talent in her.

Precision control.

Her Mystic Eyes that reacted to excess magical energy were an expression of that.

As such, the incredibly difficult task of "layering magecraft on top of another's magecraft" was an ability she grasped at the age of eleven. Her ability to add a human personality to Trimmau, or her Projection of the Princess of Gold from a few hours earlier were both applications of that ability. When she first succeeded in that, her brother had made an expression so mixed with joy and misery that she remembered it clearly even now.

(...geez, how sad can you be?)

It was almost like he raised students of his own just to reinforce his own mediocrity.

Watching that man who couldn't stop raising those students, nor could he remove himself from a life entwined with magecraft, was one of Reines' greatest pleasures.

That was something she wanted to enjoy with all her heart.

For that reason,

(...it's all up to you.)

Thinking that, she focused on Gray's back.

Svin Glascheit kept fighting, taking the role of covering Gray's blindspot.

Truth be told, it was a situation that made him overflow with joy.

Having the chance to protect her was enough to make him want to break out in dance. The pleasure ran up his back in a shiver, and his brain was flooded with the sensation of pure delight.

It had been three months since he had fallen for her.

Was that really love? Even Svin hinself didn't know.

The Bestial Magecraft was a school of magecraft that was practiced widely across the world, but as if in inverse proportion to its geographical distribution, the number of actual practitioners was surprisingly small. As a form of magecraft that appropriated the nature of beasts, it inevitably led to the complete loss of humanity in many. For that reason, families that were able to continue a stable bloodline while practicing it were rare.

The Glascheit family was one of those rare exceptions, but that wasn't because they had conquered that weakness.

Within their line, even of the heir were to be lost to madness, the family's Magic Crest was nevertheless pressed upon them.

At times, Svin felt a sense of animosity towards that crystallized Mystery, that forced inheritance. As an example of phenomenal success within their family, he was sent off to the Clock Tower, and since their family had no strong connections to any of the Clock Tower factions, he was taken in by the El-Melloi classroom.

Lord El-Melloi II saw through to his true potential, and through his help Svin was able to reclaim a number of lost arts from his family's history in Bestial Magecraft...but, he was never able to overcome that feeling of alienation.

Not a magus, neither a human, not even a beast.

He felt just like a drain, a gutter that could never be filled.

Until he caught Gray's scent for the first time. For the first time, that feeling was drowned out by something else.

(...probably.)

Probably, it was because like him, she wasn't used to dealing with people.

Uncomfortable among the living, too weak to embrace death, and deathly afraid of ghosts.

Maybe, all he wanted was to be with her, to lick their wounds together.

That's why he thought, maybe that emotion wasn't love at all. A hunch he just couldn't ignore.

(Ahhhh...!)

Embracing that impulse, Svin howled.

As he did, his body split.

The thorned monstrosity shook as if bewildered, causing the sudden group of Svins to smile.

"This is what a Phantasmal Body can do."

In short, he split his magical energy down the middle to make copies of himself.

He hadn't used the technique against Touko because he was sure she could see through to the original, and in short order neutralize the spell. Against this tentacled monster though, there was no fear of that.

All at once, the six Svins charged.

El-Melloi II quietly watched Svin and Gray's actions.

It was an incredible sight to behold.

Despite the avalanche of thorned tentacles contesting them, the two managed to not only repel, but also drive back the monster. Thanks to their efforts, he was been able to find what he was looking for. And while it moved slowly, Flat was also making progress on his analysis of that space.

However, in that gap, a single thorn broke through. Unseen by any of his students, the limb struck straight for the Lord's brow.

At that moment, an Automata shaped like a spider dropped down from the ceiling. Throwing itself in front of the Lord, the tentacle punched through its shell with ease. But as expected of such a machine, it still had no problem twisting and wrenching the tentacle apart.

"One of the Automata my idiot student gave to Lord Byron, huh?" Inorai muttered.

It was the same Automata that had accosted Gray and Reines earlier.

"Thank you," El-Melloi II said, turning to the Princess of Silver.

Once she had decided to cover for Maio, she had probably used it as a method of buying time. It wouldn't be strange, after all, for her to be taught the method of utilizing the Automata from Lord Byron.

"At the end, I was prepared to die along with my father," the Princess muttered.

Rejina was now looking after Maio's injuries silently. The two of them likely felt the same way, though. It was then no wonder they were so calm despite El-Melloi II's indictment of their activities.

"...but, why...why are you...?" Her beautiful voice wavered.

Why did you choose to save him? Her voice shook as if she wanted to ask.

There was no reason at all for you to help us, after all.

"It wasn't me," he answered. Turning his back on the wide-eyed Princess of Silver, he continued. "However, my student decided to put her life on the line. Why would I not help?"

So saying, Lord El-Melloi II began to stroke the thing he had found just earlier.

Well, that was...something.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    At that moment, an Automata shaped like a spider dropped down from the ceiling.
    Aren't they in the middle of the woods?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    God it'd be awful if Flat started snoring from a concussion :/