Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1388

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

not available due to uni Wallacia's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    On-hold (TBA)
    US Friend Code
    may post it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    "Case Files," the work, takes place in the FSN timeline.
    The events of case files, due to what Flat says in FSF that AllFiction posted up theme, have taken place in FSF timeline which is a Fate + Dead Apostle Ancestors mixed timeline.
    wait, DAA exists in FSF?

I thought only dead apostles did...you, explain yourself!
    Last edited by Wallacia; November 17th, 2019 at 08:27 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Arc’s real master is a boy in a school uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    I was just about to ask if anyone planned on compiling a pdf of it.
    Is there a compiled pdf of vol 1 and vol 2?
    Last edited by Yosuk; November 17th, 2019 at 07:22 PM.

US Friend Code
    Yeah they're linked in the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Wallacia View Post
    wait, DAA exists in FSF?

I thought only dead apostles did...you, explain yourself!
    The organization called Dead Apostle Ancestors doesn't exist, but "Superior Dead Apostle"s do exist, who seem to be roughly equivalent

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by CO9p5JMGv!p9 View Post
    The organization called Dead Apostle Ancestors doesn't exist, but "Superior Dead Apostle"s do exist, who seem to be roughly equivalent
    I thought it was implied that Dead Apostles in Fate timelines are unable to reach the height of power that Dead Apostle Ancestors can reach and, in addition, are passively weaker than their Tsukihime counterparts?

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    I thought it was implied that Dead Apostles in Fate timelines are unable to reach the height of power that Dead Apostle Ancestors can reach and, in addition, are passively weaker than their Tsukihime counterparts?
    Just because the Human Order is stronger in Fate timelines, it doesn't mean the individual DAs who'd form the DAAs in Tsukihime timelines aren't just as strong. I feel those guys are at the exact same individual strength, but due to some events, never banded together as an organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

I mean, most of the ones we know about are either dead, not DAs whatsoever, or are explicitly not on the same level (Roa). So i think there's a slight flaw in that reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    But I don't think it's directly because the Human Order is stronger. Besides, we only know about some of them for sure, and without any specific circumstances, I'm going to assume the rest are roughly as strong as their Tsukihime counterparts, but are organizationally weaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

I don't really see why when the majority we know of fall into the categories I mentioned, you would assume that the majority of the unknown ones would be as strong as their tsuki-counterparts and not the same as their Fate-brethren.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.

It seems that Case Files is getting a sequel series.

JP Friend Code
    Ya book 11 in the works maybe more i can only imagine how twilightscall feels xD.

It's not a "book 11". Whether it's a continuation or a spin-off the title makes it pretty clear that at the very least it's not the same thing. More than that, we don't know yet.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's been a while, hasn't it?

Let's start something, then. Just a teaser, to whet your appetite.

Though I imagine most people will already know this story by now, I feel the need to reiterate.

Please tag and label all spoilers with spoiler tags. This includes information from future novels and anime comparisons.

Prologue

Prologue

"-that was back when I was travelling around the world."

My master was in uncharacteristically good spirits that night, holding a silver glass. Supposedly the drink inside was a vintage home to Macedonia, one he only unstoppered for special occasions. At least, so I heard from an old student.

We were in my master's apartment.

As usual, garbage, books, and game consoles littered the room. On a sofa that had some small relief from the surrounding mess, my master sat drinking. He was celebrating the promotion of one of his students - Svin Glascheit - being raised to the rank of Pride.

The El-Melloi classroom was famous even within the Clock Tower for putting out excellent students one after another. Whenever the conversation turned that way, however, my master would always respond with a confused mix of happiness, sadness, frustration, and bitterness.

As if he was watching small birds leap up to a place he could never reach.

But this time, my master's grief was unusually faint. Perhaps because the achievement of the rank of Pride was rare for those under twenty years old, even within the El-Melloi classroom. Or perhaps because it was his longest serving student, one who he had trained from the very beginning, who had been honoured. Or maybe there was still some other reason we didn't know.

For whatever reason, after returning to his apartment off Druid Street, he once again took out his glass and alcohol.

And even rarer, he began to tell me a story of his past of his own volition.

"After all that had happened in Japan, I wasn't so keen on returning to the Clock Tower straight away, you see. Using the little money I had left, I wandered for a bit. The main push of my trip was through India and Persia, eventually ending up at Macedonia. Since Japan aside, it had been my first time outside of England, everything I saw and heard was novel. ...well, even my time in Japan was rather busy, so it was really my first time travelling by myself as well."

My master continued to speak, his face beginning to faintly flush.

As I saw his long dark hair occasionally cover the flush in his skin, a question suddenly occurred to me.

"Umm...if you were travelling alone, how did you deal with your hair? Did you brush it every day yourself?"

"Haha, back then my hair was much shorter."

My master gave a faint smile. Gently, he swirled the drink in his cup.

I could even smell the mellow aroma it gave off from where I was. It made me think of the colour of the far off Mediterranean Sea. Depending on the season, it shifted in colour from a sapphire blue to a wine red.

"Well, for my journey, it was better that way. Every country I passed through was blistering hot, after all." With a nod, my master narrowed his eyes. "At the beginning I was terrified of everything, though. At one point my bag was stolen, and I just broke down crying. I also ended up getting in a fight with some gang, and had to use some otherwise useless magecraft just to escape. In the end, maybe what gave me the confidence I could survive back at the Clock Tower was feeling so close to death there."

What was he like back then?

I couldn't even imagine my master with short hair, let alone with tears in his eyes. But if you were to tell me that he was always like he was now, I would certainly think that was wrong.

I was sure that the master I saw now was a product of great hardship and conflict. Something that could never be wiped away, no matter how many achievements he piled up as a Lord. Regardless of his humiliation and sense of inferiority, of how he envied the inborn talents of others, some of those others in turn offered him support.

It was like someone who had made a terrible mistake in the first move of a game of Jenga.

Even though the tower was constantly swaying, ready to topple at any moment, by sticking blocks in at just the right time and place, he was able to maintain a miraculous balance.

"Greece wasn't bad either. The weather there is always dry. Many parts of their culture, like this drink that is fondly reminiscent of the sea, is built around longing after something. Not just because the Mediterranean was so close, they loved the water itself."

The aroma of liquor drifted lazily out from the sofa. The contrast from the usual smell of cigar smoke made the whole scene feel completely out of the ordinary.

"What was I talking about again? Right, about Greece. That was the first time I got into the mess of teaching. While I was visiting some sites around there, I went ahead and introduced myself to the Second Owner. Apparently, it was quite rare for someone from the Clock Tower to show up around there, so I ended up teaching a few of his sons for a bit. Not that we had a good enough room, or any decent textbooks to work from."

"Then you became a lecturer at the clock Tower?"

In response to my question, my master gave a soft sigh.

"For some reason, I thought that wouldn't be so bad. Actually, I had expected to end up as a lecturer, much farther down the line. But when I returned to the Clock Tower, I got wrapped up in all kinds of things, and I ended up starting right away to start chipping away at a few debts."

He took another long drink from his glass.

From the smell, it seemed to be quite a strong drink, but that didn't stop him from refilling the glass the moment it was empty.

"...aren't you drinking a little too much?"

"Come on, Gray. I may not be that good with alcohol, but I can handle this much. At the party earlier, Reines drank ten times as much as this, didn't she?"

"I think Miss Reines is a bit too strong for her own good, though..."

In Britain, it was acceptable for children to drink after five years old if accompanied by a guardian, but even then she was much stronger than was reasonable. According to her, being able to hold one's liquor was an important factor when mingling in high society. But the way she knocked out every challenger from the El-Melloi classroom, and still was able to stand over them laughing at the end...maybe she had been a bit drunk, after all.

At any rate, it was time for me to relieve my master of the bottle.

"...hmph."

"...you're going to start regretting this come tomorrow, so this is your last one."

"Bah."

Though his expression was that of a petulant child, he settled with guarding the last glass he still held.

And then, he suddenly spoke out again.

"Apparently, my predecessor also reached the rank of Pride in his teens."

My breath caught.

If talking about his predecessor, there was only one person he could be referring to.

The Fourth Holy Grail War - a battle between seven magi and their summoned Heroic Spirits, to win the wish-granting Holy Grail. In that conflict, the previous Lord El-Melloi had stood against my master.

Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald.

"That was why he was so firmly regarded as a prodigy. The El-Melloi faction at that time had powerful families aside from the Archibalds, but once he had swept aside the competition and received the Source Crest, anyone would have had to admit that he was in the ideal place for a magus."

Once, my master had said this about his predecessor.

'-the fact such talent had been wasted for nothing, that we were never able to see things in the same way...it was just sad.'

Their relationship couldn't have been a good one.

As with many other excellent magi, he was not a particularly amicable person. Someone as mediocre as my master was at that time wouldn't have even entered his notice. That he would someday rise to the name of Lord El-Melloi II was a thought that never would have occurred to either of them...so Reines said with a mischievous laugh.

Even so.

I'm sure the image of his predecessor was still burned into his eyelids. So much so that when someone mentioned the ideal for magi, he was the first thing that came up.

"Ahh...finally..."

As his speech began to slur, my master let a long, drunk breath out into the room.

"Finally...one of my students...made it there..."

His words cut off.

Dropping his head, he fell asleep right on the sofa. Maybe I should have praised him for at least putting down the cup without spilling any.

For a while, I didn't move.

Watching his sleeping face, I poked him in the cheek.

Maybe because he was never getting enough sleep, it seemed a bit thin. Not just for his students or his classroom, he never failed to keep up the lessons for himself as well. Even though he knew he had neither the bloodline nor the talent to succeed, he hadn't given up on a single thing.

"Ihihihi! He's completely defenceless now! Why don't you try going for the lips?!"

As Add started saying stupid things as usual, I decided to shut him up using force for now.

Placing a blanket over my master, I sat down on the floor nearby. I was supposed to head back to the dorm, but I decided today was a special occasion. After all, if I went back now, by the time I arrived in the morning and got his hair all untangled, we would be late.

Wrapping myself in my own blanket, somewhat annoyed at the scent of tobacco still clinging to it, I stared at my master.

The wrinkles in his brow were still there, so I ended up poking him again. No matter how much I tried to straighten them out, those deep wrinkles just wouldn't completely disappear.

At this rate, he would just keep building them up. Not running from the pain, not running from his own inferiority. With that straightforwardness...with that foolishness, he would still raise his head. That resolve and frustration would just carve those wrinkles deeper and deeper.

"...even so, do you still want to meet him?"

I ended up saying something I could never say to his face.

I remembered the sight of my master holding the relic after the conclusion of the previous incident. What did it feel like, to spend one's whole life thinking about one single person?

(...at least...)

I thought, even as sleep was fast approaching.
    I hope I can be of at least some help.

If I could help someone who was so dedicated in some way, maybe then I could feel proud of myself for the first time in my life.

-Probably.

I had a premonition.

Since i had come to London, a little more than four months had passed.

The reason my master had called me here.

The Fifth Holy Grail War, in which someone from the Clock Tower would be elected to participate.

While making all sorts of preparations, he was trying to bring about that one future.

At that time, I understood very clearly - or maybe, I realized for the first time - it was that kind of incident.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

US Friend Code
    Welcome back, and thanks as always! Gray poking at Waver's face is cute.

Spoiler:
    "Well, for my journey, it was better that way. Every country I passed through was blistering hot, after all." With a nod, my master narrowed his eyes. "At the beginning I was terrified of everything, though. At one point my bag was stolen, and I just broke down crying. I also ended up getting in a fight with some gang, and had to use some otherwise useless magecraft just to escape. In the end, maybe what gave me the confidence I could survive back at the Clock Tower was feeling so close to death there."
    I guess this is where the anime's flashback to Waver's globetrotting in episode 1 comes from, like how episode 0 took the stray cat story from volume 1.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Gray is always cute.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update and wb.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 1 Part 1

Chapter 1

Part 1

Winter is here - so I thought the moment I stepped out of the dormitory.

It was already nearing the end of November. Maybe I was a bit late in noticing it, but these past few months were really the first time I had lived outside my home town for any length of time. The coming and going through the cold made me feel like I had come to rest in one place, like I had finally settled into this town of stone and brick.

I could see my breath misting in front of my face.

I had heard that the Museum of Natural History had set up a kind of Ice Skating Rink. I was a little intrigued by the idea, but naturally I didn't have the kind of time to go visit it. Putting on the gloves that the dorm advisor Krishna had pressed on me, I left the entrance of the dormitory behind.

Stepping out onto the asphalt, I made my way to the bus stop.

The famous, all-red double decker bus.

Though I had taken a liking to the cute new linked buses that reminded me of a mother and child kangaroo, even the older models had a certain charm to them. They didn't really run enough buses to keep up with the demand for them, so depending on the time of day it was often very crowded, but I had since become used to that.

Though the idea of so many living people still struck me as a little unnerving.

I thought maybe, just a little, I might have changed.

Before, I definitely would have run away from a crowded bus.

When I first arrived in London, the sheer number of people was beyond my ability to bear, so I woke up early every morning to have time to walk where I needed to go. At the time, that had made my schedule offset from my master's, meaning I had to rely on others if I needed help with anything. Even now, thinking back on it made my face flush.

Whether it was Flat who was always running wild, or Svin whose nose would go into a terrifying frenzy the moment he saw me, I had no doubt caused all sorts of trouble for them. So if I had become a bit braver, it was probably because of them.

Outside the school, I got off the bus.

As I made my way along the street, my nose caught a cold smell.

That was one of the Bounded Fields, set up by magi and imperceptible to normal people. I now understood that. In my master's lectures I had learned that there were all sorts of Bounded Fields. From the obvious ones that altered sight, there were those that could prevent hearing and smell, and even those capable of inducing touch and taste sensations.

I also learned that the way to break a Bounded Field was meditation.

The fundamental trick was was to get a firm grasp on your own location and posture, allowing you to avoid being led astray by the elements constructing the Field. Recalling that lecture, I steadied my breathing, making my way down the street with hardly any awareness of my surroundings.

Before long, my field of vision opened up.

With modern looking Mirror-buildings and nostalgic, old fashioned ones lined up with each other, the cityscape had a very patchwork feel to it. Though its impact was far from that of the Golden Lane of Prague, it was certainly a quiet street, where one could feel magecraft's influence.

In short, it was the city of Norwich, the Faculty of Modern Magecraft, the main headquarters of the El-Melloi Classroom - Slur Street.

(Though calling it a city may be too modest...)

Unconsciously, I began to smile.

The four day overnight intensive course I had just spent here made that impression stronger in my mind. Just on the other side was the immovable heart of the Clock Tower - the First Faculty of Mystile, governed by one of the three Great Families of the Clock Tower, Trambelio. Being so close was kind of unfortunate for us.

(...master, did you remember to brush your hair? Did you sleep in this morning too?)

As I approached, I suddenly had an uneasy feeling in my chest.

Though he must have been able to do it himself at one point, the one who treated it like a hassle was the man himself. Or rather, maybe having someone to do it for him was what made him fall into laziness. Maybe as his disciple, it would have been more proper for me to leave it to him, acting as if he was capable of doing anything he needed on his own.

So thinking, I pressed straight through the intersection on the ivy-covered road, entering the main building.

Passing through the hall that seemed singularly charged with a strange energy, I went up the stairs and turned down a hallway, where I immediately met an acquaintance.

"Miss Reines?"

"-oh, if it isn't Gray," the blonde-haired, blue-capped girl looked back. Staring fixedly at me, her red eyes shone as if at some private joke. "Yes, yes. You look good, today. In this season, just like a fairy out of the kingdom of winter."

"U-umm..."

Not knowing how to answer, I just hung my head.

Was it just my imagination that she seemed so much happier to see me flustered?

Though she watched me with that smile for a while, she eventually made a sudden turn to the window at her side.

"My apologies, but could I ask you to wait for a bit?"

Through the window, she was watching my master in the middle of one of his lectures.

The classroom was right beside us. Though it was a lecture on magecraft, the setup looked like any other university. I had heard they were constructed extra sturdily, in the case of experiments gone wrong or altercations between magi, and that they were built over top of leylines, but as someone who wasn't a magus myself, all I noticed was a strange chill from time to time.

It seemed the lecture was just coming to an end.

From those who quickly gathered into noisy crowds to those who descended into silent review of the lesson just finished, the students all did as they pleased. After reluctantly answering a few questions from some students who seemed just a bit too eager for his tastes, my master made his way to the exit where we were standing.

"...Reines," he said, stopping immediately as his brow furrowed.

He was wearing the same suit and red necktie as always. His hair was well brushed. Having just finished his lecture, he hadn't had the time yet to get a cigar. That displeased posture was a state I had long grown familiar to seeing in him.

But,

(...huh?)

For some reason, I found myself stunned.

Was it unease? More than just the faint sign of dark circles under his eyes, something seemed wrong much deeper down.

"A pleasure to meet you, dearest brother."

"What do you want now?"

"Am I only allowed to see you when I have business? I'm your sweet, adorable little sister, after all."

"Of course I don't want to see you if you don't have any business with me."

"How cruel. I may just have to charge you for all the pillows I'll ruin with my tears."

Without any impression that her feelings had been hurt at all, she answered back.

As if afraid of drawing her attention, even the other students in the classroom were covering their mouths as they whispered to each other. All of them knew that Reines El-Melloi Archisorte was the true power behind the El-Melloi Faction, the puppet master holding the strings of the glorious Lord El-Melloi II. Whether they greeted her with glares or kindness, they all knew they could easily be dragged into the power games of the Clock Tower and could guarantee an end to their everyday life. Those who knew all this yet chose to ignore it were Flat, Svin, and precious few others.

Reines dropped her voice low, jerking her chin toward one of the students in the the classroom.

"Anyways, I do have a question...what's going on here, dearest brother?"

"Hmm? He's a new student who joined the class last month. His name is Caules Forvedge."

I looked to the person Reines was indicating - an unassuming boy wearing glasses.

While most of the students admitted to the El-Melloi classroom were problem children in one way or another, he didn't seem especially like he matched that description.

Playing with some sort of ceramic pot, he seemed to be trying something. Though he didn't seem especially skilled, his earnestness was plain to see. I imagined there were some people who might find that kind of person endearing.

However,

"That's not what I mean," Reines immediately countered. Her finger moved a little. "Why does this new student have one of Atram's Primeval Batteries?"

"Ah..."

I blurted out, my eyes opening wide.

Looking again, the ceramic pot Caules was toying with certainly did seem reminiscent of the Primeval Batteries used by Atram Galiasta, the magus we fought at the Twin Towers of Iselma.

"There's no 'why' even if you ask," my master answered, shaking his head. "Flat completely analyzed that spell during the previous incident. And asking around the Clock Tower, there was no evidence he had ever made a patent for it, so I helped develop a theory for it. Then, I came across a student who happened to have a good affinity for it, so I figured I'd try teaching it to him. See, nothing strange about it at all, right?"

"What part of that isn't strange?!"

Even I could understand the frustration behind Reines' muted shout.

For a magus, the secrets behind one's magecraft were like their own life. When someone hadn't claimed a patent for something, it wasn't because it was a trifling piece of magecraft, but because it was too important to risk putting in the hands of other magi. In short, rather than worrying about the problem of rights and patents, the need to conceal it took precedence.

...once again, I understood why normal magi so thoroughly rejected my master.

Of course, as far as magi were concerned, my master was nothing special.

If Flat hadn't coincidentally managed to analyze the spell, there was no threat at all of my master being able to reproduce it. From the start, it was something no one would have even considered. But, once certain conditions were met, my master could suddenly obtain a blasphemous level of results.

The reproduction of another's magecraft was, in a way, the destruction of that magecraft.

"Sometimes, you act so much like a Lord," Reines sighed, closing one eye. "At any rate, what made that oil baron so interested in you that he's come by once a week to visit you?"

"I'm not entirely sure what he's thinking, but he's always coming in bragging about some Talisman he's bought, or some Mystic Code he's made. Well, he's bragging, but only about things he wouldn't bother to keep a secret about."

One time when I had met him, I had also come dangerously close to showing Add off in front of him.

In short, the Middle-Eastern magus had, in his typically overbearing and shameless way, said 'Your master has his own tastes, right? Hopefully it's something I can use to bribe him with.' Maybe when he had come to take an interest in my master, he had begun to become aware of the things his friends had. I'd heard that long ago, noble families regarded those who weren't nobles as less than human. Maybe this was similar.

With a cough, my master cleared his throat.

"At any rate, I'm being careful too, so it's not like I'm being used by someone outside of Norwich."

"As if I'd let that happen!" Her second shout had a ring of sincerity to it.

Being that their positions were more often than not reversed made the scene all that much more serious.

"...even I don't know when the knife is coming for your back, after all."

A chill ran down my spine.

Having already experienced many incidents in which people lost their lives first hand, that scene was too easy to imagine. Without thinking, I spoke out.

"When that time comes...I'll keep him safe."

"Oh?"

Reines and my master turned to me.

When they looked at me, I realized what I had said, and my face and ears turned beet red. My began to shake down to my fingertips, with a feeling like I was about to throw up my own heart.

Seeing that, Reines just shrugged.

"How noble for someone who is only a disciple. Please, share some of that with my brother, if you would."

"...thank you, Gray,"

I heard a curt response.

There was no way I could meet his eyes. The only thing I could think of was how glad I was that no one had laughed at my overly conceited claim.

"Anyways, to the matter at hand-"

As Reines tried to change the subject, a new voice called out.

"Oh, what's this? If it isn't Reines!"

(...huh?)

For a moment, my thoughts were occupied solely by a question mark.

As far as I knew, the only one who referred to Reines so flippantly was Flat. But this time, the voice was definitely a girl's.

When I turned, I saw a flashy looking, star-shaped eye patch.

She appeared to be around 16. With hair so pink it must have been dyed, her clothes evoked what I guess was called lolita fashion. With her frilly, snow white dress, she looked less like a magus and more like some sort of idol.

"Ah, the rumoured disciple too! This is the first time we've met, right?" the eye-patched girl said, energetically grabbing my hand.

Facing down the overwhelming tension between us, she just nodded over and over.

"...um, you are...?"

"Heheheh! Maybe it's presumptuous of me to say so myself, but I'm the always fashionable Mystic Eye Girl! The lone flower blooming in the El-Melloi Classroom, I am Yvette L Lehrman!"

As she spoke, she threw a sideways peace sign over her eye patch.

"Though I originally belonged to
    Kischur
    the Faculty of Mineralogy
    , my application was finally accepted, and I've moved to the El-Melloi Classroom!  A pleasure to meet you!"

"I...I see... I'm...Gray. Nice to meet you."

"Oho! A name that perfectly matches your atmosphere! I had heard he had a personal disciple, but man, between me and Reines and you, our professor is building quite the harem, isn't he? At this rate, he'll be the number one most sought after guy in the Clock Tower in no time! Ah, if you're curious, he's only at number four right now!"

"...and who exactly did that survey?" my master muttered, the wrinkles on his brow growing deeper and deeper.

"Oh no, that is definitely a girls' secret! Even if you're my professor, I can't just spill the beans, can I? Though, if you feel like going on an Aventure Lesson with me now, I might let that rule slide a bit?"

"Sorry, I've got another lesson to prepare for. Reines, I'll talk to you later as well. Gray, let's go."

Turning his back on them, my master quickly left us all behind.

With a quick goodbye to Yvette and Reines, I hurried after him.

Chapter 1 Part 2

Chapter 1

Part 2

Entering my master's private room, I shut the door behind me as I stared on in surprise.

Compared to his apartment, it was terrifyingly well ordered. I had been here any number of times before, as evidenced by the shoe rack and tools for polishing them. The tools themselves were new, bought with money I had made at my part time job cleaning the dormitory.

But...

There was definitely something off.

Compared to my memory from a few days earlier, the position of a few books and game devices seemed a little off, and the usual dust seemed strangely disturbed. It was common for my master to turn his apartment upside down looking for some document or other that he had lost track of, but for it to happen in here was quite rare.

On top of that, while each book on his bookshelf was put away neatly, it seemed almost as if someone had done so just to hide the fact they were searching through them...

(...nevermind)

Putting a stop to that line of thinking for now, I decided to try and soften the atmosphere.

"She's quite a strong character, isn't she?" I smiled a little, recalling Yvette.

Though in a different way than Flat, she certainly had a very overwhelming personality. Of course, the El-Melloi classroom had more than enough eccentric characters, but I couldn't help but feel like she was getting close to the top of that list.

My master just gave a light snort in response.

"Powerful indeed. The first time I met her, she introduced herself as a spy for Meluastea, just plain as day."

My breath caught.

I had heard there were a number of different factions within the Clock Tower. The Aristocratic Faction headed by Barthomelloi, and the Democratic Faction headed by Trambelio. Beyond those two was the Neutralist faction. Wasn't Meluastea the family that served as the faction's head?

"Uh, if she's a spy, then..."

"Yes. In short, she's there to keep us in check. There's nothing we have that particularly needs to be kept hidden from them, but there's meaning in them going through the motions. And even without her, it seems Meluastea is trying to establish a connection with Norwich.

"...I see."

I remembered what happened at Iselma.

The head of one of the three great families of the Clock Tower, the old lady Lord Valueleta, came to regard my master rather highly. At the same time, it appeared as if she was trying to find some way to pull the El-Melloi family out of its native Aristocratic faction, according to Reines.

If that was the case, it only made sense that Meluastea was trying to do the same.

"Not that they have any intention of trying to move us. For better or for worse, as opportunistic as Meluastea is, they don't have the guts to try a move like that. That's why they were so brazen about placing a spy here."

"...now that you mention it, we ran into a magus that called himself a spy at Iselma too, didn't we?"

"It's pretty common practice for one to just admit it themselves and try for a straightforward exchange of information, rather than try to play covert and risk having their cover blown later. Though in this case, diplomat is probably a better word than spy. Maybe announcing herself was all Yvette's idea, but I'm sure even Lord Meluastea wouldn't be especially bothered by being found out.

In any case, the Faculty of Mineralogy that she came from used to be managed by El-Melloi anyways. In the confusion following my predecessor's death, Meluastea swooped in and took control. No doubt at the time they expected us to be extinguished without trouble, but now that we've somehow managed to pull through the mess alive, they want to play friendly enough to avoid it devolving into an all out war."

"...is that how it is..." I nodded, pretending to understand.

Actually, I probably got less than half of it. The political games of the Clock Tower were just too complicated for my head. I knew that before the Faculty of Modern Magecraft, the El-Melloi faction had been in charge of something else, but...

...at this point, there was something I was more interested in.

As fast as I could, I finished the usual work like getting the schedule in order, before finally resolving myself to ask.

"...Master, did something happen?"

"What do you mean?" he replied, looking over some documents.

Though he gave off an unapproachable air, this time I forced myself to press the issue.

"It looks like you're worried about something."

I just said what I honestly thought.

When he was explaining about Atram's Primeval Battery earlier, I felt like he normally would have had a much more composed response. The way he seemed to snap like that...though it was just a little, it felt like a response that wouldn't come from the master I knew.

Though maybe that was just me being presumptuous.

"You've completely stopped giving lectures at the main building of the Clock Tower, and even your hours here are getting reduced. Is something wrong?"

There was no reply.

With virtually no sound reaching us from outside the room, the silence within was almost painful.

"...does it have something to do with the Fifth Holy Grail War?"

"No!"

I jumped in surprise at his sudden shout. However, I don't think that surprise registered on my face. I was more than prepared to keep my expression under control against something like plain surprise.

For a while, I felt a burning in my throat that made it hard to speak, but I dropped my head and did my best to push past it.

"...I'm sorry."

I had gone too far after all.

I knew I should have been more careful, but I just spoke the first thing that came to mind.

Thinking that for some reason, maybe there was something I could do to help.

"I'll be back at sundown." Turning around, I reached to open the door.

"...please wait," my master called out just before I could open the door.

"Master...?"

There was no response.

More than being told to stop, or his anger earlier, his silence now was the most intimidating.

My master was the same as always - the same as always, but somehow more gloomy.

Even if it was just because off the numerous incidents I had also been involved in, it looked like someone had been chipping away at the usual facade he wore in a way I had never seen before.

"I'm sorry. I'll tell you," my master said.

I somehow managed to resist the sudden urge to cover my ears. I knew that whatever was troubling him was going to be too heavy for me to handle, but even so, even if for no one else, I wanted to be a person he could rely on.

Before those scales measuring those two impulses could settle, he started to speak again.

"The most precious thing I have was stolen from me."

It felt like a sharp blade had been run through my heart.

Even though he hadn't explained the details at all, unwillingly my mind filled in the blanks. I could feel the part of me that wanted to cover my ears and run adopt a devilish smile.

"That, is..."

"A relic of a certain Heroic Spirit."

I didn't even have to ask what he meant.

One of the irreplaceable parts that made him who he was. During the Iselma incident, he had offered it up in a gamble to rescue his students Flat and Svin.

I felt like my legs were going to collapse out from under me.

But, thinking of how much more it must have hurt my master, I managed to stay standing.

"B-but...why...?"

Standing, my master turned to face the wall.

"Originally it was being held at the main headquarters of the Clock Tower in London, but after the incident at Iselma last month, it was moved here. While it's true that the Fifth Holy Grail War is getting closer, I was more interested in just being able to watch over it myself.'

Clearing away a number of books on one of his shelves, my master tapped his palm against the back of it and uttered a short incantation.

A click sounded.

The back of the shelf opened up, along with the wall behind it, to reveal a hidden safe.

Even being his personal disciple, it was a mechanism I was surprised to learn about.

"A hidden safe that came with Norwich. I wouldn't be able to rest easy if it was just my magecraft keeping it locked away, after all. ...at any rate, its strength is unreasonably high. Even if it was another Lord, it would require a considerable amount of work for them to open it."

With one more incantation, he used a key from his chest pocket to open the lock.

No doubt it was a twofold lock, using both mundane technology and magecraft in concert.

Inside the safe was a single envelope.

"...but, a few days ago, the relic was missing. In its place was this envelope."

Without saying any more, he held it out.

Taking it from his hand, it looked like some sort of invitation.

From a first glance, it looked to be a formal thank you of some sort.

On the thin, crystalline paper, a deep crimson wax seal was had been pressed. The image on the seal had an eye and wheel motif, reminding me of the angels my master once told me about. This time, however, it didn't seem to have any relation to angels. It was most likely a historical symbol in magecraft, one that just happened to look similar.

Looking up at my master to see if it was okay for me to look inside, he gave me a small nod.

For the most part, the contents were as I expected.

'You are invited to attend our banquet, so by all means please make arrangements to do so.' Written in a flowing, cursive script, a signature was placed at the end.

Representative of the Manager of the Mystic Eye Collecting Train.

"This, is..."

Seeing such an ominous name for the first time, I swallowed nervously as my master whispered.

"The Mystic Eye Collecting Train - Rail Zeppelin. As it's name implies, it's a train that runs through the forests of Europe, collecting any and all Mystic Eyes. Once a year, they put their collections on display and hold an auction for them."

"An auction?"

At the familiarity of that word, my brow furrowed.

"You mean...there are people out there interested enough in collecting Mystic Eyes, that they would go to such a thing?"

"Of course, there are those who are interested in them for purely academic reasons. But the Rail Zeppelin has a special meaning to it."

Slowly, my master lowered himself back into his seat.

He made no effort to hide the overwhelming fatigue radiating from him.

"What special meaning is that?"

"Transplanting," he said, putting a hand to his own eyes.

Even then, it took me a moment to understand.

After blinking a few times, it finally sunk in.

"...transplanting?!"

I blurted out.

"Yes, exactly like it sounds. Originally, Mystic Eyes are something developed and rooted within your own body, so even removing them is incredibly difficult. But the Rail Zeppelin is an exception to that. Ignoring all problems of physical rejection and the like, not just extracting them, they are capable of transplanting Mystic Eyes directly into a new host without risk of failure."

Stunned, I stood silent.

Just how out of this world was this place?

Of course, the idea of getting their hands on Mystic Eyes likely made most magi water at the mouth. Even as incomplete as her control of them was, I recalled just how envious my master had been of Reines' own. In short, just like Magic Circuits - weren't Mystic Eyes a talent one had to be born with?

My master took a deep breath.

Pulling a cigar out from the case in his coat, he cut the tip with the cigar cutter on his desk. Extraordinarily slowly, he struck a match, lit the tip, and raised it to his lips.

A heavy, thick smoke filled the air.

"...allow me to explain one thing," he whispered softly.

As if the scent of smoke had reclaimed his former self, his voice returned to its usual calm.

Maybe for my master, the cigar was something like a mask to him. Wrapping himself in that scent and smoke to hide his true self.

"Sight is the first magecraft in human history. Among the five senses, sight is the one that provides the most information. As such, many cultures across the world came to fear the Evil Eye, and many mysteries of the natural world were explained through eyes."

"Natural phenomena, you mean?"

"For example, the Sun and Moon," my master nodded, pointing at the ceiling. "Both are often described as the eyes of Heaven. The Eye of Horus from Egypt is a particularly famous example, but his right eye was the Sun and his left was the Moon, according to tradition. Because the eyes of Heaven were always looking on, people believed that if one committed sin, they would be punished for it. That's why the God of the Sun often has the role of upholding justice. As such, though the Sun is thought of as the source of numerous blessings, it also thought of as the bringer of many disasters, such as droughts.

Later, the Trinitarian doctrine of Christianity tied into the same idea - the eyes of the omnipotent God became connected to his providence over all things. Even the conspiracy theories of the Free Masons are all caught up in this same theory."

As my master's lecture ventured into the territory of the occult, he strangely seemed to relax. His tendency of giving lectures seemed to be a thing I was getting sucked into as a daily occurrence.

"From these natural phenomena, things like the eye of a hurricane are also common. Ah, you should know that the clouds surrounding the eye of a storm like that are called the Eyewall, right?"

"Ah...yes,"

I nodded.

"In short, the storm itself is considered a single eye. From there, the association of wind and storms with divinity creates a connection to the eye as well. Balor, the king of the Fomorians in Celtic Myth, and Odin from Norse Mythology are the archetypal examples there."

Both were of course famous enough that even I knew their names.

The King of the Evil Eye Balor, and the one-eyed God of Magic Odin. One, with a single eye whose gaze could annihilate entire armies. The other, who gave up one of his eyes in exchange for omniscient knowledge of all things.

"On top of that, the earth itself has eyes too," my master continued, pointing at the ground.

"The earth?"

"Think of the mouth of a volcano. The image of a bright red eye piercing through the darkness of night is strongly connected to the image of the evil eye. Though not as numerous as gods of the storm, there are cases where these symbols were granted to goddesses of the earth. A famous example of this would be the Gorgon - Medusa, from Greek mythology."

He blew a cloud of smoke.

The room filled with grey smoke reminiscent of a volcano's. Smelling the sulfur of volcanic gases and seeing the bright red glow of lava, was it any wonder ancient people came to fear them as magical eyes of the land?

Heaven, Storms, and the Earth.

Each one had its own magic eyes.

If that's the case, then there was no doubt that we were always being watched.

"In a manner of speaking, the black holes discovered by modern science could also be said to be eyes born of natural phenomena. Though there was no way the ancient storytellers could have known, there is a conceptual similarity between them and
    The Great Void
    Mahakala
    , a manifestation of Shiva in Hindu mythology. The European Organization for Nuclear Research CERN also uses Nataraja, another aspect of Shiva, in one of their decorative statues. The dance of Nataraja is supposed to represent the behaviour of the elementary particles, but you can also look at it as one aspect of Shiva showing the movement of Magical Energy on a micro level, while black holes symbolize the magical eye aspect of Shiva on a macro level."

"I...see..."

Though I understood less than half of what was said, I could understand the importance of it.

An eye in the far off cosmos.

Far beyond what we could ever hope to reach, there existed someone watching us. Both magecraft and science sought to draw closer to that observer, even if only a little.

"...now, beyond that discussion, within the Clock Tower Mystic Eyes have their own system of ranking. There are even those who can create Mystic Eyes of lower quality. Of course it goes without saying, they fetch a high price for their work, and it's not like their success rate is a hundred percent."

Leaning back in his chair, my master continued.

"But for true Mystic Eyes - those that occur naturally, and especially those of Noble colours, there is no option to acquire a transplant except the Rail Zeppelin. Considering their scarcity and success rate, even Barthomelloi and Trambelio would hesitate to cross them. Ah, you should understand now after all that. Transplanting powerful Mystic Eyes into someone is like cutting off a piece of a storm, or a flow of magma, and sealing it within a person."

Though somewhat circuitous, we finally found our way back to the topic at hand.

But thanks to that, I now fully understood just how abnormal it was to talk about transplanting Mystic Eyes. Much more than just an impressive feat, it was a terrifying proposition, one that filled my body with an icy terror.

"Apparently, only one time in its history, that auction was thrown off course. Apparently, that Touko Aozaki and her familiar caused a bit of a ruckus. Since then, rather than confining itself to Scandinavia, it's been showing up repeatedly all over Europe."

I was taken aback by the sudden mention of that name.

The magus we met at the Twin Towers of Iselma - in a way, connected directly to the culprit - a Grand class magus whose behaviour could only be described as heretical.

"...well, if it was her, then..."

"True enough," my master echoed my feelings, a bitter expression on his face.

"On the other hand, that means the only one who was able to throw them off track was a Grand. How many magi of the Clock Tower have even seen one of these invitations in person? ...and why did one appear here, in place of that thing?"

I could hear the sound of teeth grinding.

A sound with an ominous strength, making me worry about the health of his teeth. And within his eyes, a fiercely burning flame. Where on earth had that kind of passion been hiding itself?

"It seems there's nothing to do but go. I don't seem to have any other options," he said, as if to steel his own resolve.

"Gray," he spoke curtly.

My master - Lord El-Melloi II, turned to me with his request.

"Would you accompany me to the Rail Zeppelin?"

Chapter 1 Part 3

Chapter 1

Part 3

"-Hmm, I see," Reines nodded, picking up a small piece of chocolate.

Her golden hair swayed beneath the gentle, indirect light.

The next day, we were visiting a sweets shop that was a particular favourite of hers.

While it was a shop that had a public eat-in area for all of its customers, the private room she was in was apparently one set aside for regulars. After asking if I could get some advice about my master, she had led me to this place. The luxurious furniture and expensive silverware had me ill at ease, but that probably went without saying.

Though I hadn't divulged what exactly had been stolen, I was now asking for her thoughts about my master's request.

However, avoiding the main issue yet, Reines reached her fork out for the cake on the table.

Each one of the candies in front of us looked like shining jewels. Sugary crafts that imitated the elegant shapes of flowers and crystals. Shimmering strawberries over lightly browned meringue, mousse layered in seven colours. Mixed together with its sweet aroma, I imagine there were people out there that would consider a scene like this heaven on earth.

"Right. In the end, a soft génoise is best. The batter was well done, so the fresh peach confiture can be really appreciated. With the aroma of Nuwara Eliya tea on the side, their ability to keep them distinct is infuriating."

After taking a sip of tea, Reines sat for a while with eyes closed, enraptured by her experience. Then they opened again, turning my way.

"Are you not going to eat anything, Gray?"

"O-of course, I'd love to."

Suddenly flustered, I reached for one of the comparatively boring looking option near me, popping it into my mouth.

Just like the chocolate I had been given before, the taste was so good as to be shocking.

Though normally my nerves in a situation like this precluded me from tasting much of anything, the soft, delicate sweetness of the confection was impossible to ignore. The sensation of it melting on my tongue was like a piece of luxurious silk coming undone, and the unrelenting sweetness was never so much as to exceed tastefulness.

"...ah..."

"Is something wrong?"

"N-no... It was delicious. Almost, too delicious."

Suddenly, my body began to tremble.

It was the first time I had ever grown antsy just from pure flavour. It was all I could do to keep my feet from tapping. Hearing the tips of my toes hit the floor two or three times, Reines faced my blush with a mischievous smile.

"That honesty is a real selling point for you, you know. It's almost more fun just to watch you enjoy it than to eat it myself. No really, if you could just add a few humiliated tears, it'd be perfect. Come on, a few tears is par for the course for girls. So why don't you taste a few more?" she said with a chuckle.

The way she spoke really reminded me how at home she was in the Clock Tower. That being said, I didn't find it especially unpleasant. A fact which I found a little bizarre.

One more, then one more, before taking a break to sample a scone with jam and have some tea. In the sigh that followed, Reines interjected again.

"The Rail Zeppelin is something most magi of the Clock Tower only know about through rumors."

"...right," I nodded.

Despite being drunk on the sweetness of the foods in front of me, that name was more than enough to snap me out of it.

"If you and my brother have been invited, then I'll give you this one warning. There are two types of invitations given out for the Rail Zeppelin, so pay attention to the difference."

"Two types?"

"Among those invited to the Rail Zeppelin, there are those who are invited to come buy, and those invited to come sell."

"Ahh-"

The fact that an auction required someone to have goods to sell finally occurred to me.

"If you are talking about the transplanting of Mystic Eyes, that necessitates an extraction of them as well. For those who lack the ability to control their own Mystic Eyes, the Rail Zeppelin is like a saviour. After all, Mystic Eyes are such a complicated organ that using them effectively is beyond the skill of most magi,"

Reines said, touching a finger to her own eyelids.

After all, she had Mystic Eyes of her own.

"Please excuse me."

Taking eye drops out from her bag, she administered a few before pressing her hands over her eyes.

Perhaps because of the stressed expression on her face, I felt pressed to ask.

"Have you ever felt that your eyes were a bother, Reines?"

"Not at all. For someone like me with few redeeming qualities, these have become a precious weapon. Even if using them effectively is a challenge, I have no desire to be rid of them. If nothing else, they are more than adequate just for eliciting that envious expression from my brother," she replied, her shoulders shaking with another chuckle.

After blinking two or three times, she turned back to me with her eyes blue once again.

"-so, who is going to be your third?"

"Third?"

"Yes. An invitation to the Rail Zeppelin comes with permission to bring two companions. One is, of course, you. But who else is my brother considering taking along, I wonder?"

"...it will probably be one of the El-Melloi Classroom students, won't it?"

As an aside, Flat was currently dealing with issues with his family, so he had temporarily returned to Monaco. And Svin, who had just finished his promotion, would be undergoing all sorts of ceremonies in Mystile. Of course, there were plenty of other students in the El-Melloi classroom that adored my master, but those two were naturally the first to come to mind.

"Hmm. With those two out of the picture, I would expect the Pentel sisters, or maybe Rolan Perjinsky. But we all know how much he hates getting his students involved in his personal affairs."

Lazily popping another chocolate into her mouth, Reines rattled off a list of names.

I was familiar with those three.

They were students at the higher end of the class, and had won fame across the Clock Tower already. The Pentel sisters especially were a rather eccentric pair of twins, whose ability to harmonize their magical energy with each other set them apart in the Classroom - the trouble they had caused my master also had left a strong impression.

"Well...that's something for my master to decide."

"I guess that's true. So, is there something you're still concerned about?"

"...umm..."

Despite being pressed for more, I felt myself clam up.

This time, however, Reines pushed on.

"The thing you're trying to hide from me is the news of that relic, right?"

My eyes widened in surprise.

"That's it after all, isn't it? After all, the invitation showed up wherever the relic was stolen from, right?"

"...how...?"

Showed how meaningless it was to try and keep it from her so plainly, I felt my cheeks start to burn. It made me want to dig a hole and hide in it.

In contrast, Reines was the picture of coolness, calmly sipping her tea as she continued.

"Just by watching my brother, I could tell something must have happened. We've been working together for seven years now, so we know each other pretty well whether we like it or not. On top of that, it had to be something serious enough that it would drive him into such a corner, yet he would still keep it secret from me, so I figured it couldn't be much else."

Reines shrugged, as if the line of logic had been too simple to follow.

And then, she added one more thing.

"...and your concern is that perhaps, Meluastea's spy is the one who stole it, right?"

"Miss Reines..."

My reaction earned a snort from her as she crossed her arms.

"It's Yvette, right? I was standing right beside her when she declared herself to be a spy, after all."

Now that she mentioned it, if Meluastea's goal was to put a check on my master, it didn't mean much if it wasn't clear to the secret power behind the name of Lord as well. I felt like such a fool for trying to keep it hidden.

"Well, together with the Lehrman family she comes from, she isn't exactly someone that uses such ordinary means. I think we can rule her out as a suspect."

"Is that so..."

"Even I have only seen that relic a single time. Aside from purely academic pursuits, for a magus, unless they have intentions on joining the Holy Grail War, it isn't an item of particular value. It's not like it can be compared to Siegfried's relic from before, which was a first-class Talisman in its own right due to its being soaked in dragon's blood."

Catalysts used to summon Heroic Spirits were almost always objects that were connected to that Heroic Spirit during their lifetime.

And while such artifacts sometimes had magical properties that made them powerful Talismans, they were often just things that happened to be old. The relic possessed by my master appeared to be one of the latter.

"On top of that, Meluastea has no reason to pick a fight with my brother like that. After all, among the three factions, they are the weakest. Carelessly upsetting the balance of powers puts them at the biggest disadvantage."

"...I see."

I felt exhausted. It was unfortunate to lose a lead, but I also didn't want to believe one of my master's students could betray him like that. If I had to choose, I'd say I was closer to feeling relieved.

Narrowing her eyes at me, Reines continued.

"You really aren't suited to the Clock Tower, are you?"

"Huh?"

"Nevermind. ...I would just be happier if you were to stay the way you are. It'd be a great comfort to my brother and his daily stomach pains, after all. Yes, the pleasure is in neither letting them live nor letting them die. It would be a problem if he gave up and keeled over now. Oh hey, this new item is pretty good! Is that cheese seasoned with lemon?"

While saying something particularly disturbing, her fork moved merrily around the table.

"Um, you had something you needed from my master, right?"

"Yes. But my business is something similar...I see. My brother, huh?"

With an energetic murmur, she ate another piece of cake.

With the way she closed one eye as she chewed, it was like she was chewing over our previous conversation as well.

"I'll have to solve some puzzles first. My business comes from a Tuner."

"Tuner?"

"Yes. One of my brothers few old friends. At this point, he's the only one left that calls my brother by name."

"Huh?"

My master's name.

Not Lord El-Melloi II, but his original one.

But my master never let anyone call him by that name.

"That's just because he refuses to change, of course. He's just stubborn when it comes to changing how he calls people, I guess. Well, when I talked to him a bit ago, he warned me that something was wrong with him, and so I needed to be careful. Something about the wrinkles in his forehead being off being similar to a violin being out of tune. Apparently, when my brother was traipsing around the Far East, he was the one that lent him the money or something."

"He did..."

"I only figured it out when Value poked their heads out in that last incident. Geez, he could have just said something himself. That's why men are hopeless."

But the thing I wanted to ask about most was something else.

"I wonder, what Heroic Spirit was it?"

"Hmm?"

As Reines raised an eyebrow at me, I pushed the question.

"I never asked before, but...when my master was fighting in the Fourth Holy Grail War, do you know what Heroic Spirit was his partner?"

Her response was immediate.

"Iskandar."

Also known as Alexander the Great.

Of course, I knew who that name referred to. As far as those whose names had survived to be famous even in modern Europe, Alexander the Great and Charlemagne were the yardstick by which all other heroes were measured.

He was born in Macedonia.

Educated by the scholar Aristotle, he received the title of king at the age of twenty and, following his father's dying wish, set out to the east, toward Persia. With his overwhelming charisma and military might, he smashed the forces of Darius III numbering in the hundreds of thousands, and trampled forward despite the offerings of peace set before him.

After that, the journey they undertook was like a dream.

Conquering the desert kingdom of Egypt, he was recognized as Pharaoh. Then further East.

Clashing once more with his rival Darius III, he conquered Babylon and Persepolis. Then further East.

Subduing all kinds of soldiers, kings, heroes of war, and even Maharaja, he pushed ever onward, ever eastward.

What was he seeking?

What did he hope to gain?

There was no way I could hope to understand the mind of a man who had come so close to achieving the ever distant dream of world conquest.

I knew the Holy Grail War was a ritual that involved calling forth heroes from humanity's past, but to think my master's partner had been him...

(Ahhh...)

Was that why my master's prized alcohol came from Macedonia?

"But seriously, even fairy tales have their limits. The idea of a ritual where seven Heroic Spirits are called forth to fight, and the winners would be given the wish-granting Holy Grail is absurd enough as it is, but to add Iskandar on top of all of that..."

Reines spoke as if in wonder.

"At any rate, it seemed among the Heroic Spirits arrayed for that war, his power was something else. ...he was said to have two Noble Phantasms. One, the chariot dedicated to the Gordion Shrine, the
    Heaven's Wheel
    Gordius Wheel
    . Or perhaps we should say, the style of using that chariot to trample his enemies underfoot was the Noble Phantasm?" she said, as if to confess that the Clock Tower's investigation hadn't turned up the actual statistics of the Heroic Spirits involved. No doubt, when my master had risen to the seat of Lord, Reines herself had grilled him for every possible piece of information she could.

"And the second was something truly incredible. Apparently, Iskandar was able to summon his subordinates from back when he was alive. Yes, that legendary army that had come so close to actually conquering the known world. Analyzing the remains of the previous Lord El-Melloi, along with other documents submitted to the Clock Tower, we could determine he was able to bring forth an army to the tune of tens of thousands of men within his Reality Marble."

To be honest, that far exceeded my ability to imagine it.

I had Add - a seal containing Rhongomyniad, the spear once wielded by King Arthur. Its power was something that was beyond comparison to the Mysteries wielded by the magi of the modern day. Even I, as inexperienced as I was, had been able to demolish a full half of the Castle Adra with a single blow.

But what kind of Heroic Spirit, what kind of Noble Phantasm could stand up against that sheer force of numbers?

"...even then, it wasn't like my master won the Fourth Holy Grail War, was it?"

"Apparently in that Holy Grail War, there was a monster of an even higher level. Man, the world is a crazy place. Though I could hardly understand the desire of his predecessor to participate either, my brother's intention to participate a second time baffles me."

As if reading my thoughts, Reines pushed the conversation ever forward with a bitter smile.

Having finished the cakes in front of her, she finished the last of her tea before standing up.

"While you two are dealing with the Rail Zeppelin, I'll do what I can to look into the missing relic. Besides that, please take this."

I blinked in surprise.

On the table in front of her, Reines put down a black credit card and a cell phone.

"If the only way to get back that relic is to participate in the auction, you'll need some real firepower, right? I'm sure my brother will resist the help until the very last moment. It seems he went through quite a bit of trouble to get some money without me finding out. Though judging from his behaviour recently, it seems that soft-hearted old Lord Norwich has put out for him."

"Miss Reines....!"

My voice suddenly jumped.

In contrast, she just tapped her chin with a finger, whispering mischievously.

"Heheheh. It seems we've found a way to suddenly increase that debt he's been slowly paying back. As much as possible, please wait until the last moment to hand it over to him. Oh, and the cell is a gift for you. Please feel free to use it to your heart's content. At the very least, you should be able to make contact with the outside world before and after the auction itself."

Was she being reliable, or just being predatory?

Those eyes, turned blue by her medicine, sparkled as Reines El-Melloi Archisort gave a wide, elegant smile.
    Last edited by TwilightsCall; January 18th, 2020 at 12:05 AM. Reason: corrections

US Friend Code
    Oh my, lots today! You spoil us.

Taste the Rainbow
    "he had begun to become aware the things his friends had." -> "he had begun to become aware of the things his friends had."
    "Aventure Lesson" -> Is it supposed to be Aventure or Adventure?
    There's a few places where you've used a wide " " rather than " ", not sure if that's intentional or not (not that it's terribly important)

...never expected to find someone quoting EXEC_SPHILIA, but it sure made my day
    Last edited by Skittles; January 18th, 2020 at 04:43 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    1. Fixed, thank you
    2. Aventure is intended. She's throwing in the French, for whatever reason.
    3. Not intentional, but probably a side effect of the new software I'm using. I don't actually see the difference, so that probably doesn't help.
    4. Glad to be of service I'm probably more impressed that someone recognized it lol