Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: WRIST WATCH Thread

I don't mind the look of gold if it's a thin case/bezel, where the appearance is dominated by the dial, and the gold is only framing it (sort of a 'wireframe glasses' concept). To me that pretty much means pure dress watch, probably ruling out an automatic since that adds thickness, so handwind only (or quartz if you want really thin, but eh....). The red gold Hentschel Hamburg Admiral (8mm thick) I posted earlier is a decent example of what I'm talking about. On the other hand, if the gold dominates the design (the Rolex fluted bezel particularly comes to mind), I'd be much less interested. Obviously this rules out having gold on the bracelet.

All that said, speaking of shade, I don't know if I'd ever go for a yellow gold hue, probably only something with a more red hue.

Brass/bronze is nice too, if you don't mind it not staying shiny and developing an aged look after a short while. As for gold plating, it sounds like most of it is quite durable these days (at least any quality stuff), though of course if abused you can go through it. I don't think I'd consider it for a daily beater, but I wouldn't be opposed to it on a dress watch I'd pull out once every week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    We have a 68 Darwil at home. It's apparently a superobscure watchmaker that focused on the eastern market, or at least that model was for the eastern market, but it's still works and looks good. I remembered it when I saw the Veli itt and was amazed by the dome crystal looking so good, and it being a feature of watches around that time, and of course, the Darwil has it too. It's tiny and bubbly.
    Not familiar with Darwil, so had to look it up. Seems like it's one of the (many) Swiss brands that didn't survive the flood of quartz watches, and yup, quite popular in eastern Europe.

You should post pictures.
    Last edited by TrienDarkform; December 3rd, 2016 at 01:23 AM.
    One must know the path one runs even if the ground underfoot is not as one chooses

Blog Entries
    There are cleaning methods you can use at home to restore brass/bronze to factory, at least - though yes, the weathering really is part of the charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

lol

Quote Originally Posted by TrienDarkform View Post
    Not familiar with Darwil, so had to look it up. Seems like it's one of the (many) Swiss brands that didn't survive the flood of quartz watches, and yup, quite popular in eastern Europe.

You should post pictures.
    I shall when I get home because me, an idiot, forgot to take it along to have a semi-formal wear watch to wear and not always play a foreign legionnaire with S5. It's not in perfect condition but still works perfectly and looks decent, which is nice considering it's about as old as my mother.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    one day ill get a watch that doesnt drive me crazy resting against my skin
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Try brass/bronze, actually a quite similar look but more subdued - and it's kind of an 'in' metal these days anyway. I don't remember if I posted a pic of mine here?

Bronze is In

actually i have a brass wrist cuff too, i might have a problem lol

Ooh, you got the Tropik B?

I considered that one, but the Halios that interested me the most was the Delfin. Was sold out by that point though.
    One must know the path one runs even if the ground underfoot is not as one chooses

Blog Entries
    Yeah. I wanted the blue dial, but I spent a month lurking private sales and literally only one came up that got sniped from me, so I went with grey: and I'm fine with it, it's a real unique look anyway.

Blog Entries

Spoiler:
    so I'm selling what I don't really wear into something which will actually get wrist time now, wew

Wew lad Omega buddies

Blog Entries
    didn't come with no box tho

And, the Balaur is finally here:

The clasp on this thing is a beast!

Forgot to take a picture of the caseback, but the three-headed dragon on it is pretty nifty.

Blog Entries
    Shit, that's probably better than most bracelet clasps.

Blog Entries

not my manual, but very nasu

Awesome.

Though it makes me wonder what the corresponding page on the springdrive manual would say...

Out in the realm of watches I could never afford...

H. Moser & Cie, Venturer Small Seconds Purity.

That colour is pretty neat, I have to say.

Fancied a change

sick oem nato

- - - Updated - - -

It suits me better actually.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I always feel weird wearing a watch that's thicker than my wrist.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries