Thread: Holidays and Hearts III: Star-Crossed (Saber/Shirou)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Holidays and Hearts III: Star-Crossed (Saber/Shirou)

DISCLAIMER: Once again, Fate/Stay Night and all related characters and concepts are neither owned by me, nor my creation. I freely admit to not licensing them from Kinoko Nasu and Type-Moon, or even Geneon/Funimation (whoever’s got it now), as I doubt they’d care, since I do not intend to make any money from this. I’m strictly a not-for-profit, entertainment-purposes-only setup.

CONTINUITY NOTES: For the sake of argument, let’s say the anime.

Shirou worked carefully at the bows of the Archery Club, oiling and polishing each item with the care and concentration of a master craftsman. He wasn’t, although he was quite skilled, but the thoroughness with which he performed the task far outweighed that of most high school students, and earned him more than a little respect for his diligence.

Then again, it also earned him more than a little ribbing, too. Even some of the teachers - thoughts of a certain one he referred to as “elder sister” sprang to mind, and were then ruthlessly suppressed - failed to understand him in this. The single-minded, nay, ferocious devotion with which he undertook every task he was given was a complete surprise to most people, and baffling to the majority of them.

His philosophy was simple: any effort which he put forth, whether assigned by duty or chosen by will, deserved nothing less than the fullest of his potential. If he wasn’t going to do it with everything he had, then he might as well not do it at all.

She had taught him that.

Shirou’s mind resolutely remained focussed on maintenance, and not on a girl with a lion’s colouring - on piercing green eyes and a golden mane. He couldn’t focus on her, on that iron will and regal grace, or he would been unable to think of anything else. Any thought of her would quickly become all he could think of, and he had accepted - reluctantly - that he couldn’t live like that.

Forgetting her was impossible, Shirou knew, but dwelling on her - and on the fact that she had effectively been dead for centuries - would destroy him. And that, she would never forgive.

And so he worked, devoting his whole heart to every chore, every task, every responsibility - as she would have, and had - because nothing less would keep him whole. And because nothing less would honour Saber, or demonstrate the love she’d awakened in him.

Sempai?” came a quiet interruption. He was focussed, but not deaf, and Shirou mentally sighed, halting in his work to concentrate his attention on the speaker, Sakura Matou . . . No, he reminded himself, it was Tohsaka, now.

The aftermath of the Grail War - including Shinji’s death - had led her adoptive grandfather to disown her as a punishment. Normally, this would be a death knell for her in Japanese society, as despite being centuries past the era of samurai and ronin, such things were still frowned upon by the traditionalists, but Rin had re-adopted her younger sister in response. It maintained Japanese tradition, but broke the traditions of the magi in the process . . . Apparently Rin had felt it worthwhile enough to do, though, for all her criticism of Kiritsugu’s choosing family over the duties of a magus. Shirou liked to think that he’d been right after all, that the young magus’ self-assurance (or arrogance, depending on one’s definition) concealed a human being.

As he shifted out of his woolgathering to bring his full attention on the girl, he answered politely, “Yes, Sakura?”

“I was wondering if. . .” she said, as her pale cheeks took on a hue to match her name, “ . . . if you’d like to come with me to the festival?”

Shirou stared at her for a beat too long, dumbfounded, and she quickly added, “But I guess you have other plans . . . I’ll see you later, Sempai.

The girl had already fled before his mind caught up with events. Yes, they were friends, but he’d never thought she might . . .

He shook his head. It didn’t matter, anyway. His heart belonged to another woman, and pretending anything else would be a lie whose exposure would only hurt Sakura more when she finally realised it.

Besides, in all honesty, he had no desire whatsoever to attend this festival. It struck too close to home.

“I’m home!” Shirou called, and was pleased to see Ilya appear almost immediately. Had she been in the workshop, she might not have heard him - and surprising her there, he learned was a bad idea.

Onii-chan,” she greeted him, and by now he knew that the term was true enough. Legally speaking, they weren’t at all related - holding only a common guardian in Taiga Fujimura. Blood-wise, they definitely weren’t related. But the man he’d called Dad had been Ilya’s biological father, so calling him her brother was reasonably accurate - though given that she was older than he was despite her physical age, “elder brother” was disputable.

“How was your day?” he asked.

“A little boring,” Ilya admitted. ”I had to turn down another university. They just don’t want to take no for an answer.”

Ilya was not as great a magical prodigy as Rin - more powerful, yes, but lacking that gift that made the Tohsaka heir the Einzbern’s magus’ match. She was, however, intelligent enough to pass her high-school-equivalency exams with astonishing marks. This freed her from the need to go to school, and spend her time working on her magic.

Though to Shirou’s embarrassment, she had developed a habit of wearing school uniforms around the house . . .

“Well,” he offered, “they just really want the prestige of having somebody as smart as you in their school.”

The girl yawned dismissively. “I have better things to do with my time.” Her expression brightened. “And how was your day?”

“Not bad, until the end,” he admitted. “Sakura asked me out to the festival tonight.”

Ilya blinked. “Which one is this again?”

Tanabata,” he answered. “. . . You’re not even going to ask why it was bad?”

“Because you said no since you’re still in love with Saber, and hurt her feelings, of course.” She rolled her eyes. “I am smart, remember? Or maybe you’re just stupid. Now, what’s Tanabata, again?”

“The legend goes that the Weaver Girl and the Herder Boy were so much in love that they neglected their duties, and they were separated by the gods. But they built a bridge to cross to one another again - the Milky Way - and while the gods could have destroyed it, in recognition of their devotion, they granted the couple one night a year to be together: Tanabata. It’s a holiday for wishes to come true . . . and lovers.” Shirou’s voice didn’t quite break, but it came close.

Ilya looked at him solemnly. “And at the moment, it’s not exactly your favourite holiday, is it?”

“No.” The answer was soft, but heartfelt.

Ilya nodded, her gaze seeming unfocussed, before she suddenly sprang to attention and gave him an impish grin.

“I’ll lay out your formal kimono.

Shirou stared. “What?”

Ilya returned his stare. “You’re going to the festival. Not with Sakura, no - but you’re going.”

“Ilya . . . If you want to go . . .” On the one hand, he didn’t want to refuse her. On the other hand, he really didn’t want to go.

She shook her head. “Not me. Just you.”

“But I - “

Ilya smiled. At least, most people would have called it a smile. It was the same expression she’d worn when she’d told Berserker to kill him, and the tone of her voice was just as pure, just as sweet, and as chilling as she responded.

“Trust your big little sister, Onii-chan - you’re going.

Alone in the workshop, after Shirou was long departed, Ilya steadied herself. As a would-be Grail core, she had more power than almost any magus alive - but even she did not have power enough to bind an Epic Servant to human life. Only the true Grail could do that, and it might be decades before it reappeared. But for one night, for this night, she might have the strength . . . and surely, hardly anyone else could have a better right to try.

“On a night for wishes and lovers . . .” she whispered, as much to Gaia as herself. “Let me give him this, for all the wrong I did him . . . and because it’s my wish that he be happy.”

After all . . . she loved him, too.

Blog Entries
    She drifted away into the darkness, seeking to recapture her dream . . . The dream where she had not been a king called Arthur, nor a girl named Arturia, but a knight who answered to the sobriquet of “Saber,” in a time and place far removed from her own. A time and place where she’d found a hope she’d long thought lost to her, and a love neither Arthur nor Arturia would ever have dared to claim . . . but whose loss Saber mourned.

“Tell me, my king . . .” she heard a faint voice whisper, a voice she knew but was too deep into the darkness to recall. “Do you behold the continuation of your dream?”

She might have answered, but the darkness tugged at her, drawing her downward with the inevitability of the tide . . .

. . . And then, abruptly, receded.

The darkness was gone, and with the clarity that loss restored, she remembered herself. She had been Arturia, named King Arthur during her reign, whose knight Bedivere had just been speaking to her. And in death had become the Epic Servant Saber, warrior of the Holy Grail Wars, who had lately been partnered with . . .

“Shirou,” she whispered. He was there, across the courtyard. Her eyes were not those of an Archer, but she could pick him out of any crowd, any landscape. He was garbed in some kind of Japanese uniform - the people between them were similarly clothed - a dark robe with golden highlights.

The recently-developed feminine side of the knight noted that it looked good on him. The combat-ready side noted that she had no knowledge of her mission . . . as though the Grail had summoned her, but forgotten to provide details as to why.

Well in that case, both sides of her agreed as to the best possible way to answer that question.

She moved forward, halting abruptly as she realised that she was not in her typical garb - even without the armour. Her dress had been replaced by a royal blue garment like everyone else wore, with a sash of pale gray silk, like silver, and matching sandals. It made her steps mincing, slowing her progress to him.

But, she knew, the destination was worth the journey.

Shirou brooded. Though not exactly prone to brooding, it was something he was good at, having done it several times in the years since his father died. Around him, people milled - playing games, eating sweets, tying wish placards to the trees . . . Some were couples, some families, others just friends out for a good time.

And he was here alone, without even Ilya’s company.

Why didn’t she come with me? he wondered. Why did she insist on my coming at all? What good could it possibly do me?

“Shirou,” said a voice behind him. The tone was cool and calm, but the word itself was half a question, as though the speaker did not quite believe it was possible.

He was in a similar state - because it was, impossibly, her voice.

Shirou turned slowly, afraid to be wrong, to have his heart break . . . and nearly as afraid to be right, because that would mean he’d finally gone mad - because there was no way she could be here . . .

Was there?

She was improbably garbed in a festival kimono like his own, but her sun-gold hair was still the same, even down to the rebellious lock that stood as proudly as the rest of her. So was her skin, a peaches-and-cream complexion that he knew was porcelain-smooth, and as soft as velvet. Her emerald eyes gazed at him searchingly, as though wanting to burn his reflection into their depths.

Quietly, she murmured, “I ask of you, are you my master?”

Shirou shook his head. “No, Saber - there’s no War on.” He bared his hands to her, to show her their lack of a Command Seal. He hesitated, then asked, “How are you here?”

She shrugged minimally, the movement all but concealed by her voluminous sleeves. “I do not know. The Grail did not provide me with the specifics of my mission, this time.” Her eyes shifted, taking in the grounds. “This is a festival of some kind?”

He broke off staring at her to answer, “Yeah - it’s Tanabata.

Her head tilted fractionally as she inquired, “What is its significance?”

“It celebrates the one night of the year . . .” Shirou trailed off, suddenly realising exactly what Ilya had done, before continuing hoarsely, “the one night when a pair of lovers separated by the gods are allowed to be together.”

Saber’s eyes widened, and she paled, before reddening to an extreme and lowering her gaze. After a moment, she glanced back up at him almost shyly, a faint smile on her lips.

“Then as you are not my master, I am not the Servant, Saber. My name is Arturia Pendragon, and I ask of you . . . If only for tonight - are you my lover?”

Unlike their last introduction, this time Shirou had no confusion or doubt about his answer.

“Tonight, and always.”

Saber’s - no, Arturia’s smile brightened, like the sun burning away a cloud. She took his hand, and the solid warmth of it finally, fully convinced them both that this was not a dream, or a delusion, but real. They were together, even if it might be only for a night.

And even if it was, both of them were determined that it would be a night to dream of.

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar
    Ah, I had read this once somewhere. It made me feel warm, and it still does.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, this one was fun. I admit, the "Holidays and Hearts" series is a guilty pleasure - the trick is usually figuring out which holiday to use. I've always wanted to do a Hallowe'en one, to complete the whole "love and chocolate" scenario with Arc and Shiki, but once I remembered Tanabata, it had to be Shirou and Saber.

Indeed ;_;. If you seriously think about it there aren't many good fics about Shirou and Saber either. Mike isn't the only one to complain. This one counts as a good one.

Blog Entries
    Yeah - the only major fic I can remember that's Shirou/Saber is Nerroth's Fate/Transformed. Rin or Sakura seems to get him most often - heck, even I'm guilty of this, since I've been writing Shirou/Ilya lately . . .

Hm - I think I have a subplot for "After the Fall."

I'm scared to think what that subplot would be. D:

And you know, it's Nerroth, one of the Holy Sakura Trinity. Haha.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Rin or Sakura seems to get him most often - heck, even I'm guilty of this, since I've been writing Shirou/Ilya lately . . .
    Lol, what?

Saber gets paired with Shirou far more than Sakura does. In fact, I can barely think of any fanfics that pair Shirou with Sakura.

Keyne's complaint (which, to be fair, is entirely justified) is that a large chunk of those fics are complete and total shit, mainly because they're written by anime fanboys who don't understand the Nasuverse at all (plus, of course, Sturgeon's rule applies in addition...).

This is a pretty good story, though, and it is actually pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
    And you know, it's Nerroth, one of the Holy Sakura Trinity. Haha.
    Nerroth doesn't like Shirou much, though, and he certainly doesn't seem to like pairing him with Sakura. Everyone has a different opinion of things.

Agree'd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Lol, what?

Saber gets paired with Shirou far more than Sakura does. In fact, I can barely think of any fanfics that pair Shirou with Sakura.
    Not that I've read - of course, since I confine my Fate fanfic reading to the Beast's Lair, obviously my sample is fairly small.

Keyne's complaint (which, to be fair, is entirely justified) is that a large chunk of those fics are complete and total shit, mainly because they're written by anime fanboys who don't understand the Nasuverse at all (plus, of course, Sturgeon's rule applies in addition...).
    Ah. And incidentally, which rule would this be, so I'm aware of it for later?

Thank you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not that I've read - of course, since I confine my Fate fanfic reading to the Beast's Lair, obviously my sample is fairly small.
    Even on BL, I don't recall Sakura/Shirou fanfics being overly common, though. But, I guess it's just our different perceptions of how common they "should" be...

Ah. And incidentally, which rule would this be, so I'm aware of it for later?
    Paraphrased, it's "90% of everything is crap". In other words (and applied to this situation), most fanfics are not very good.

Fanfiction.net is a perfect example of this in action, and Shirou x Saber fics get hit the hardest by it, due to the fact that it's the OTP of pretty much every anime-only fan, and watching the anime is nowhere near sufficient to allow you to write a decent FSN fanfic.

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Ah, yeah, I remember this fic. Good times, good times. Nice to see it back up again.

Yeah - the only major fic I can remember that's Shirou/Saber is Nerroth's Fate/Transformed. Rin or Sakura seems to get him most often - heck, even I'm guilty of this, since I've been writing Shirou/Ilya lately . . .

Hm - I think I have a subplot for "After the Fall."
    Whoa! When did you write Shirou/Ilya? Was it those HP/TM xovers I didn't finish reading? NO!!!!

Blog Entries
    This is a sweet fic. And . .. *sheepish* I don't think I read it in the past.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangstrike View Post
    Whoa! When did you write Shirou/Ilya? Was it those HP/TM xovers I didn't finish reading? NO!!!!
    Those were headed that way - and don't worry, they're coming back - but "Bleached White" was also intended to go in a Shirou/Ilya direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    This is a sweet fic. And . .. *sheepish* I don't think I read it in the past.
    *shakes head* See, this is why I'm a shameless self-promoter. People need to be told, or they miss out on stuff they'll like.

I'd like to say this: MOAR! 'C'