Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Thank you for clearing that up.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Pretty sure the "nameless" title just means that he discarded his name when becoming a Heroic Spirit/Counter Guardian, not that it was never known in life.
    Emiya Alter Servant Profile:

Not the Mumei (無銘, lit. "nameless"; per Extra, 銘 refers to the naming of a blade) that was borne of society,
    but a disgraced, heartless executor (執行者, shikkousha, lit. "one who enacts") who has cast aside his own name.
    His memories are damaged, and his past is similarly lost.
    The man has forsaken morality, and scorned the bonds of affection --
    sneering at himself who has become as a dead man walking as he continues along his way.

Bond Rank 1

Height / Weight: 187 cm / 78 kg
    Initial Appearance: Fate / Grand Order
    Locale: Japan
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Sex: Male

"You ask if it's acceptable that an Ally of Justice would engage in acts of evil?
    Of course it is. I am, after all, rotted away from within."

Bond Rank 2

Absent of ideals; absent of ideology -- and consequently of the highest efficiency.
    Virtually as a machine -- or so the nameless antihero self-proclaims.
    Being that the foundation of his existence is in some portions corrupted,
    he ushers forth merciless slaughter to the pursuit of his goals.

Bond Rank 3

o Derisive Heart of Steel : A
    A Skill of the category of Mental Pollution, conferred as of the Servant's standing as an Alter (反転, hanten, lit. "reversal").
    Differing from Mental Pollution, the Skill functions by the imposition of an invariable Concept, approximating to a mode of self-indoctrination.
    The pattern of reasoning imposed holds the defense of the Human Order as the utmost priority,
    and deems as acceptable the abdication of all else per the modus operandi of the Guardians (守護者, shougosha).
    If not conferred as of a Rank of A, the strength that this man can bring to bear in his capacity as an Alter cannot be expressed.

Bond Rank 4

『The Infinite Creation of Swords』

Type: Anti-Unit
    Range: 30~60
    Maximum Targets: ?

Unlimited Lost Works.
    『The Infinite Creation of Swords』 is one amongst the crowning achievements attained across the lifetime of a certain magus specialized to the forging of blades.
    This Reality Marble comprises of those weapons he witnessed that bore the Concept of 「Sword」, aggregated in their entirety.
    ... however, 『The Infinite Creation of Swords』 is by certain means manifested in the interior of an opponent's flesh.
    The minuscule Reality Marble becomes as an incredible force, shredding the target from within.

Bond Rank 5

Of course, should the life of a single human vary to such an extent, a reason necessarily exists.
    That which abased the spirit of the man who was as the steel of a sword
    is said to have been a woman akin to the Holy Mother in her compassion.
    The price that the man came to pay in pursuing the subjugation of her Malice (魔性, masei, lit. "demonic nature"; often used to refer to "demonic allure")
    was the 'disposal' of her many followers;
    by their martyrdom did he fall to the Path of the Heretics (魔道, madou, lit. "demonic path"; in Buddhism, a walk of existence beyond the Six Paths, from which there can be no salvation).
    It's not confirmed that EMIYA Alter was a Counter Guardian, period.
    There's nothing in either his profile or dialogue that absolutely confirms that he became a Counter Guardian. His history itself is largely unconfirmed.
    Basically, the only thing we know about him is his personality and that bit about the woman who made him fall. Her identity is likewise unconfirmed.

EMIYA Alter's profile says that he isn't the Mumei (nameless) that was born of society -- which refers to Extra Archer.
    Rather, it says that he cast his own name away.

Quote Originally Posted by Asunder View Post
    Extra EMIYA and FSN EMIYA's histories are pretty much interchangable pre-death.
    Presumably, Mumei lived in Extraverse, where magecraft ceased to be a thing.
    I say "presumably" based on the bit where they said that Moon Cell's Heroic Spirits are based on things that Moon Cell observed.
    That was prior to it being established that Moon Cell could simulate alternate timelines.

Still, given that the 5th War isn't confirmed to have happened in Extraverse, and EMIYA traced his past to a 5th War in a world where magecraft was still extant, presuming that Mumei is indeed native to the reality wherein magecraft died, it's doubtful that Mumei and EMIYA have entirely identical histories.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Pretty sure he is, since I don't see any other reason as to why he would want to assassinate Baal and Emiya shouldn't be able to become a Heroic Spirit without the power of a contract and Kiara shouldn't be powerful enough to do something like that, thats my understanding of it at least.
    EMIYA Alter says that he was contracted to kill Baal.
    He doesn't say who or what he was contracted with.
    We don't know enough about his history to say one way or another what his specific history was in life, so qualifying outright that he wasn't a Heroic Spirit is preemptive and unjustified.
    Last edited by fallacies; March 21st, 2017 at 02:43 AM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by fallacies View Post
    It's not confirmed that EMIYA Alter was a Counter Guardian, period. There's nothing in either his profile or dialogue that absolutely confirms that he was. His history itself is unconfirmed.
    Well he's summonable, so either he's a CG or else he became enough of an Edgelord that it counted as a feat worthy of becoming a legit HS. (Or lol!GO, but what fun is that?)

JP Friend Code
    What if he just walked into Chaldea one day and nobody knew how to get him to leave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Magikewl View Post
    What if he just walked into Chaldea one day and nobody knew how to get him to leave
    Then he should be given for free instead of being chucked into the gatcha.

Your gacha money is his hiring fee
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Emiya Alter Servant Profile:
    It's not confirmed that EMIYA Alter was a Counter Guardian, period.
    There's nothing in either his profile or dialogue that absolutely confirms that he became a Counter Guardian. His history itself is largely unconfirmed.
    反転の際に付与された、精神汚染スキル。
    精神汚染と異なり、固定された概念を
    押しつけられる、一種の洗脳に近い。
    与えられた思考は人理守護を優先事項とし、
    それ以外の全てを見捨てる守護者本来の在り方を
    よしとするもの。

A mental pollution skill granted to him as an Alter.
    Different from Mental Pollution, this is a forced-on fixed concept, close to a type of brainwashing.
    The ascribed method of thinking prioritizes the protection of Humanity.
    As per how Counter Guardians normally acts, it is fine to abandon everything else other than that.

If that doesn't sound like your CG killbot thing I don't know what does.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Is that not who we're talking about? Extra's Archer is the only one with "nameless" as a title...
    Nah his name is wakaranu.

"As per how Counter Guardians normally acts, it is fine to abandon everything else other than that."

If that doesn't sound like your CG killbot thing I don't know what does.
    Behaving like a Counter Guardian or deeming the Counter Guardians' standard behavior as good or acceptable isn't equivalent to being a Counter Guardian.
    Ergo, there is nothing in his profile that absolutely confirms that he was a Counter Guardian.
    Last edited by fallacies; March 21st, 2017 at 03:42 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Behaving like a Counter Guardian or deeming the Counter Guardians' standard behavior as good or acceptable isn't equivalent to being a Counter Guardian.
    Ergo, there is nothing in his profile that absolutely confirms that he was a Counter Guardian.
    of course

when you're given a skill as an alter that conceptually makes sure you don't act like an alter and that you act like a CG should instead
    sure sounds like it
    ssssssuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eee sounds like it
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Still, given that the 5th War isn't confirmed to have happened in Extraverse
    Mumei referenced events of the fifth war several times in extra

like, referencing Shinji and Saber and invisible sword and all
    Last edited by castor212; March 22nd, 2017 at 12:15 AM.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

of course
    when you're given a skill as an alter that conceptually makes sure you don't act like an alter and that you act like a CG should instead
    sure sounds like it
    ssssssuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eee sounds like it
    I dunno. Why bother having a skill like this if you're legitimately a Counter Guardian?
    As a CG, you'd essentially have to accept this sort of behavior anyways ...
    Is it self-hypnosis to make life easier for yourself?

And the skill description says that without it being at its present Rank, EMIYA Alter wouldn't be able to really exercise his strength as an Alter.
    Clearly, "acting like an Alter" means something different for him versus the usual; deeming the standard behavior of the CGs as acceptable would in this case presumably be a reverse of what normal EMIYA thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    iirc Mumei referenced events of the fifth war several times in extra
    like, referencing Shinji and Saber and invisible sword and all
    In that case, I suppose the question is whether Mumei legitimately comes from a timeline in which the Mana Depletion occurred, or whether a Fuyuki Grail War could actually happen in a Mana Depletion timeline.
    Last edited by fallacies; March 21st, 2017 at 07:09 AM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I dunno. Why bother having a skill like this if you're legitimately a Counter Guardian?
    Because he's an Alter Counter Guardian. Alters don't act like their normal selves. So Bob uses self-hypnosis to ensure that he still behaves like a CG.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is a completely unrelated question, but it's something I've been wondering for a while...

If the Beasts are supposed to represent "evils of humanity", then what exactly is Primate Murder's sin of "Comparison" supposed to amount to in practical terms? "Pity" is defined in canon while "Regression" is fairly easy to imagine, but "Comparison" seems far more obscure. The closest I can think of in human terms is that'd be something like racism; the evil of dividing apart humans into disparate groups and arbitrarily declaring some "better" then others.

But I don't exactly get what that has to do with a giant homicidal white hound. Any ideas?

This is a completely unrelated question, but it's something I've been wondering for a while...

If the Beasts are supposed to represent "evils of humanity", then what exactly is Primate Murder's sin of "Comparison" supposed to amount to in practical terms? "Pity" is defined in canon while "Regression" is fairly easy to imagine, but "Comparison" seems far more obscure. The closest I can think of in human terms is that'd be something like racism; the evil of dividing apart humans into disparate groups and arbitrarily declaring some "better" then others.

But I don't exactly get what that has to do with a giant homicidal white hound. Any ideas?
    奈須氏
    まだこの企画がスマホではなくPCのネットゲームだった頃は,世界中のプレイヤーが争い合うような話を考え ていました。プレイヤー同士が戦うことで,人間そのものの悪性が表れてくるようなイメージです。でも,それ だとスマホでやる必然性がないんですよね。生活に密着したデバイスなのだから,もっと明るく前向きで,ライ トなものにしたかった。ライトとは軽いではなく光の意味で。
    Back when this project was for a network game on PC, Nasu had the notion that a conflict between players was an expression of the very evils of humanity. However, smartphones are a device closely related to our lives, and should therefore be something that "lights the way"; the "lightness" of a smartphone game should refer to brightness rather than a lack of weight.

(He doesn't say it in so many words, but basically the theme of FGO's story is the light that may be grasped of collaboration. Obviously, Fou-kun is the Beast that presides over player conflict and ragequitting.)

--> He feeds on envy and hatred, and motivated by the ugliness of humanity, he decides to destroy the species.
    Last edited by fallacies; March 21st, 2017 at 11:22 AM.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Back when this project was for a network game on PC, Nasu had the notion that a conflict between players was an expression of the very evils of humanity. However, smartphones are a device closely related to our lives, and should therefore be something that "lights the way"; the "lightness" of a smartphone game should refer to brightness rather than a lack of weight.

(He doesn't say it in so many words, but basically the theme of FGO's story is the light that may be grasped of collaboration. Obviously, Fou-kun is the Beast that presides over player conflict and ragequitting.)

--> He feeds on envy and hatred, and motivated by the ugliness of humanity, he decides to destroy the species.
    Yeah, I guess that fits. I actually read the thing about the seven evils being based on conflict between players in MMO games, but I didn't make the connection to how "Comparison" fits into all that.

It's also pretty hilarious the reason Nasu decided to change it (Nasu in general feels like somebody it'd be really fun just to sit around and talk with, if only to get a feel for his eccentric thought process). Though, that last pun on the duel meanings of "lightness" feels like something that really should only work in English so I presume you're paraphrasing to a fair degree...

In any case, thanks for the explanation! You really do seem to have become the official Grand Order lore aficionado around here...

- - - Updated - - -

Smartphone games aside, it does make sense that "Comparison" would be an evil pertaining to wars and strife. Though to be honest I think "Division" would be more fitting in that regard.

JP Friend Code
    You can just look at Nasu and Shiokawa's interview with 4gamer for that piece of info y'know. Oh wait...

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...=1#post2624282
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; March 21st, 2017 at 11:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Though, that last pun on the duel meanings of "lightness" feels like something that really should only work in English so I presume you're paraphrasing to a fair degree...
    Nope. That's not raito.

Though, that last pun on the duel meanings of "lightness" feels like something that really should only work in English so I presume you're paraphrasing to a fair degree...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    You can just look at Nasu and Shiokawa's interview with 4gamer for that piece of info y'know. Oh wait...
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...=1#post2624282
    プレイヤー同士が戦うことで,人間そのものの悪性が表れてくるようなイメージです。
    The matter of combat (戦うこと) between players (プレイヤー同士) gives the image (イメージ) of expressing (表れてくる) the evil nature (悪性) of humanity itself (人間そのもの).
    でも,それ だとスマホでやる必然性がないんですよね。
    But, that isn't an inevitability on a smartphone.
    生活に密着したデバイスなのだから,もっと明るく前向きで,ライトなものにしたかった。
    Being a device closely related to our lives, it should be brighter (もっと明るく) and more positive (前向き); we want it to be a thing that's light (ライト).
    ライトとは軽いではなく光の意味で。
    Light (ライト) means light (光), not lightweight (軽い).
    Last edited by fallacies; March 21st, 2017 at 12:20 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Why are you quoting my post again.

- - - Updated - - -

It was directed as royd, who is famed for not looking around before asking questions with headcanon inserted btw.