Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    I don't understand, is it just the horse or not? And why is it the that way that is?
    He's half-horse and half-horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

If only the profile was translated, I'm still waiting for his, Gao Changgong's, and Bradamante's. Master of Chaos hasn't been on in a while, and neither has castor.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    He's half-horse and half-horse.
    ♪A horse is a horse, of course, of course...

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    If only the profile was translated, I'm still waiting for his, Gao Changgong's, and Bradamante's. Master of Chaos hasn't been on in a while, and neither has castor.
    Why? The profile don't explain more than what you quoted from the chapter. It is as clear as it can get. Heck it's mostly a word joke.

In the part you quoted (and misread), "Amongst men there is Lu Bu, amongst horse there is Red Hare" is a phrase attributed to how mighty Lu Bu and his horse was respectively amongst their kind. Then comes the phrase "Jinba ittai" (human and horse as one) being used to show a unison between the rider and the horse in battle, commonly used to describe a powerful rider rushing to battle and wipe everything on his/her horse, this phrase is used to describe how amazing Yoshitsune and his horse were, Guan Yu and his horse were (another Red Hare). So the Innocent Monster effect is taking that phrase's meaning LITERALLY as "human and horse fusion into one" -> you get a man horse creature thinking he's Lu Bu and has Lu Bu's fake NP.

I guess no amount of translation can bridge the culture gap unless you actually get the joke lol.

Tranquilo, Japones, Tranquilo JetKinen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No, it's the same Red Hare.
    Guan Yu's Red Hare is Lu Bu's Red Hare.

Fate Grand/Order ID: 102947414/GreenBob
    JetKinen's tries very poorly to translate a brazilian book

JP Friend Code
    Also I can understand why they make him like that, because Red Hare is a type of super rare and amazing horse in Chinese legends said to be heavenly horse and can only be tamed by strongest and mightiest men. It's not a name specific to one single horse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JetKinen View Post
    No, it's the same Red Hare.
    Guan Yu's Red Hare is Lu Bu's Red Hare.
    Yes, but technically speaking, like I just said it's a heavenly horse type.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the story of Cao Cao getting it and later Guan Yu got it was only in the novel, actual history only mentioned it being Lu Bu's.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically the whole red-faced Guan Yu, his glaive, his red hare is Luo Guanzhong's creation.

Blog Entries
    I mean, Lu Bu being a peerless warrior is basically Luo Guanzhong's creation.
    Last edited by JetKinen; December 18th, 2018 at 01:29 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by JetKinen View Post
    I mean, Lu Bu being a peerless warrior is basically Luo Guanzhong's creation.
    No Luo's novel is not the only story describing Lu Bu as a super warrior. History books like the "Records of the Three Kingdoms" also depicted him as something like that, it is one of the main sources for Luo's inspirations to write his novel in the first place. Sure Luo kinda wanked Lu Bu, but the depiction of the man as a brave warrior, having the Red Hare, excellent martial arts as well as his other flaws is from real history records. That's why the horse is associated with just him and not Guan Yu outside of Luo's novel.

- - - Updated - - -

Horse's FGO profile stated the source is real historical facts and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, etc... so maybe the Guan Yu thing might show up, but I think it's just gonna be a reference line considering he is extremely loyal and passionate when it comes to Lu Bu.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; December 18th, 2018 at 01:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yeah sure, he is a great fighter, but a look into historical records and you will find someone with way more losses than actual victories
    BTFO by Sun Jian, had to run away from Li Jue and Guo Si, Yuan Shao, Cao Cao, steals some territory from Liu Bei, teams up with them to beat Yuan Shu, then gets put down like a dog by Cao Cao.

Sure, there are some basis in the historical records, but it's very clear that historical Lu Bu and Superhuman Lu Bu are night and day. One is a kinda okay mediocre general with no real feats to his name besides killing his foster father and the other is god on earth.

JP Friend Code
    Yes ofc, Luo wanked a lot of his characters in his novel, not just a few. It is a novel afterall. Heck the Red Hare in historical records is just a type of rare breed that can run very fast and jump over trenches, not some OP divine horses. However that has nothing to do with the fact that Lu Bu has the horse and Guan Yu did not.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Based from his achievements, Lu Bu is not a very bright general

- - - Updated - - -

He is a great fighter, but can't manage his own subordinates well. I believe he was defeated in Xiapi because some of his subordinates go to Cao Cao, not just some, but they have important position in Lu Bu's army
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

JP Friend Code
    The man pretty much just wandered around pissing off the wrong people. One might argue he only made it this far thanks to Chen Gong.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Is his fight with three brothers just a fiction?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Experience View Post
    The man pretty much just wandered around pissing off the wrong people. One might argue he only made it this far thanks to Chen Gong.
    his leadership is an F
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    No Luo's novel is not the only story describing Lu Bu as a super warrior. History books like the "Records of the Three Kingdoms" also depicted him as something like that, it is one of the main sources for Luo's inspirations to write his novel in the first place. Sure Luo kinda wanked Lu Bu, but the depiction of the man as a brave warrior, having the Red Hare, excellent martial arts as well as his other flaws is from real history records. That's why the horse is associated with just him and not Guan Yu outside of Luo's novel.

- - - Updated - - -

Horse's FGO profile stated the source is real historical facts and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, etc... so maybe the Guan Yu thing might show up, but I think it's just gonna be a reference line considering he is extremely loyal and passionate when it comes to Lu Bu.
    Yeah because Fate has never relied on fictional sources for their Servants, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

JP Friend Code
    Your point? I literally said they might reference that lol.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also I think Zhuge Liang already references Ro3K stuff. Stone Sentinel Maze might be sort of just, like, general folklore, but I'm pretty sure RL Zhuge didn't enchant it with Taoist magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

JP Friend Code
    And? Never said I had problems with that lol. The discussion with Jet is purely about historical facts regarding the Red Hare. TM can do w/e the fuck they want like they've been doing since the beginning. Throw some Guan Yu references in there, wank him like Luo did too, no prob.

Blog Entries
    Luo's wank of Zhuge Liang is pretty badly done since the guy is amazing even without it in the records.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Luo's wank of Zhuge Liang is pretty badly done since the guy is amazing even without it in the records.
    Eh.
    I mean, he is a good administrator.