Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    Plus, the amount of good characterization for other characters we got out of her event is great. One example is Fionn under Nasu's writing actually shows that he is really smart with the salmon of his, like, most of the time when the other servants i.e Tamamo explaining the lores he usually shows up nearby to go along and add more stuffs.
    would people say the same thing if this was written by other writer?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The story never explained the mythological/folklore link between the adopted daughter of Yama and the tongue-cut sparrow if any even exists

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AmADo VII View Post
    I would think so. Fionn lacks so much characterization that anything would upgrade him from what we had before.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Yes. Spartacus was excellent in LB3, not written by Higashide but Urobutcher.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    The story never explained the mythological/folklore link between the adopted daughter of Yama and the tongue-cut sparrow if any even exists
    I bet You it's gonna be some other obscure shenanigans and that will require Semimaru-P to explain.

so being HGW winner in Apo was a bad thing for Fionn?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    From what we had of Fionn he was
    1. Someone no one wanted because he's terrible gameplaywise
    2. Loves the ladies but the ladies don't love him
    3. Feels bad for Diarmuid
    So he was basically a meme

Now he's stereotypical anime ossan who acts like a meme but is actually SMRT.
    So like Hector
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    Well really his bond lines always made him sound like a reliable ossan. It's just a pity that didn't become prominent sooner
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

JP Friend Code
    For my guess regarding the Enma daughter connections, going by her very child-like look, she might have died at a very young age as a human. Children dying that way normally won't be able to cross the Sanzu River to go to the underworld, so they will stuck there forever. But Jizou Bodhisattva will save those souls, and he is actually Enma according to Buddhism in China, Japan, Vietnam...etc. So maybe she got saved by Jizou/Enma -> became his adopted daughter (aka Datsueba) -> got involved with the sparrow story -> eirei shitakiri suzume.

I based this on the mention of her legend being kinda like Nursery Rhyme but not exactly the same, so her existence is the combination of a bunch of folklore stories with certain elements being matched.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, we don't even know how it went, how he won, what was the dynamic between him and Darnic...etc. It's basically "oh hey cool stuff he won a HGW" just like Solomon winning the FGO Fuyuki HGW. It's what we actually get from him in other instances that count, for me atleast.

- - - Updated - - -

So like Hector
    Pretty much, probably why him and Tamamo took turn explaining lores here and there lol, they are both memes but can be serious and smart when needed.

For my guess regarding the Enma daughter connections, going by her very child-like look, she might have died at a very young age as a human. Children dying that way normally won't be able to cross the Sanzu River to go to the underworld, so they will stuck there forever. But Jizou Bodhisattva will save those souls, and he is actually Enma according to Buddhism in China, Japan, Vietnam...etc. So maybe she got saved by Jizou/Enma -> became his adopted daughter (aka Datsueba) -> got involved with the sparrow story -> eirei shitakiri suzume.

I based this on the mention of her legend being kinda like Nursery Rhyme but not exactly the same, so her existence is the combination of a bunch of folklore stories with certain elements being matched.
    it's been explained in the story though, just pick the right dialogue.

JP Friend Code
    it's been explained in the story though, just pick the right dialogue.
    Yes, we got the explanation of how she got into the suzume stuffs, but we don't get, as You said, the IRL mythological explanation for why that's her. You won't find anything that can point you to that story, so I'm making a guess base on JP Buddhism stuffs.

maybe Kinoko will explain it in his blog.

Beni Enma is probably Kinoko's original character based on myth and folklore.

Well we kind of know now that his first wife actually loved him, but going by the myth that went really badly because of fairy reasons.

US Friend Code
    The connection to Enma also really baffles me. I like her but it just feels unnecessary, I guess. Could have just had the sparrow part with a Nursery Rhyme type explanation for why she looks human now.

So like Hector
    4. Constantly throws shade at Diarmuid for the Grainne thing
    Last edited by Reign; January 7th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.

lol so people doesn't like Kinoko making original character?

US Friend Code
    There's nothing wrong with original characters, I just think if they're going to combine an OC with a Servant there should be a reason for it and right now I don't see much reason for the Enma side of Beni-enma. If it eventually gets explained why Nasu did that, then cool.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    The connection to Enma also really baffles me. I like her but it just feels unnecessary, I guess. Could have just had the sparrow part with a Nursery Rhyme type explanation for why she looks human now
    Ok so I did some research and the whole thing regarding the Datsueba being an oni who is in charge of judging ppl in the afterlife in particular has basis in Eastern Asia Buddhism , which is good. Basically Nasu's Datsueba is not the scary oni who strip ppl naked and troll kids, but rather a cute oni who invites them to her hotel she runs, and judge their sins accordingly b4 sending them to Enma. Nasu's Datsueba is also not the wife of Enma, but his adopted daughter.

So all of those part are just the usual Nasu's spin on real legend. The confusing part is the connection to the sparrow story.

However I also found that the story of "a sparrow being saved by some old man/old lady and return with gifts (either treasure boxes or magical seeds) in the end where the bad guys get shit and good guys get the reward" is a model for multiple stories of similar theme (the Nursery Rhyme similarity). The story of the sparrow is not unique and exclusive to that specific tongue-cutting sparrow per se, but it's the concept and mold for the folklore of a mysterious bird judging the sins of people. I read an analysis of how the sparrow in those stories judged the characters through which type of box (or seed) they chose and the theme is that good people will be judged fairly and bad ppl always get punished. In a sense, it's similar to how Enma and Datsueba being the judge for sins of the dead. I think the connection is there, at least that's how I understand it from the short research I just did.

but those parrots call Datsueba as stingy oni BBA.

and her image illustration was Ishtar.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The story never explained the mythological/folklore link between the adopted daughter of Yama and the tongue-cut sparrow.
    Bbbbut chapter 11
    I haz a patreon please support onegai
    Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

JP Friend Code
    Shapeshifting.

I mean, her voice might not even be her original voice, especially when she can't talk and is using ventriloquism.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wait im p sure datsueba was differenct chara from benienma. The one using silhouette of rider ishtar and actually speaks to benienma as separate entity. I forgot which chapter that was.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot which chapter that was, but there was a chapter where the sparrows shows datsueba, using rider ishtar shade, speaking to benienma about something along the lines of ur my daughter now so no paying you now help with the house chores, and datsueba being describes as a miser-- i mean, frugal. Unless im misremembering/misunderstanding something here.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai
    Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

JP Friend Code
    Did you...err...read Benienma's profile?

Quote Originally Posted by profile
    奪衣婆、閻魔大王の養女。前世は山中で迷い死んだ禿(かむろ)だったという。閻魔大王の指示で地上の迷い家を管理し、そこに訪れた 人々の罪悪を量るのが仕事だったが、理由もなく人里恋しくなってしまい、里に下りた時に婆に捕まってしまっ た。
    その後、お爺さんに助けられ、“善き人間”を支持する方針に固まり、現在の舌斬り雀の姿となっ た。
    - - - Updated - - -

My impression is that the previous Datsueba is that Ishtar shadow person (the wife of Enma), and the job of Datsueba falls into Benienma's hands now.