Page 3144 of 3977 FirstFirst ... 2144264430443094313431393142314331443145314631493154319432443644 ... LastLast
Results 62,861 to 62,880 of 79532

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Blog Entries
    it's subjective really. reading though ancient greek texts has more down-to-earth and well, organic, feel to it than most other myths.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't know what possesses nasu (or whatever writing fate greek lore) when reading through hesiod's theogony to come up with ancient mechas

- - - Updated - - -

if they ever really do research anyways

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kelp24's Avatar
    Hephaestus and Apollo's exchange was pretty human terms used aside

Blog Entries
    Ah, yes, that's the term I'm looking for, humane. Greek gods are the most humane deities I've ever read.

- - - Updated - - -

To make them into unfeeling robots feels really wrong

- - - Updated - - -

but perhaps that's the point. we'll see.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Greek mythology is not coherent and uniform AT ALL. Every single legend has 2-3 versions at least.
    (Disregarding the fact that many of those versions of legends came from the Romans), that's exactly what 'organic' means. A mythology that grew up without the constraints of a rigid ecclessiarchy restricting what stories could and couldn't be told.

- - - Updated - - -

In order for a mythology to not be "organic" it would have to have been fabricated and controlled by a specific group, which isn't true for...any mythology I can think off the top of my head, at least.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Wasnt it said somewhere that they begun as robos, then after defeat by sefar they needed another way to maintain themselves, getting closer to mankind and being influenced by them?

Then again even the robot Artemis retained some human feeling (jealousy)

Evil of Humanity Half-Blood Master's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamerad View Post
    Ah, yes, that's the term I'm looking for, humane. Greek gods are the most humane deities I've ever read.

- - - Updated - - -

To make them into unfeeling robots feels really wrong

- - - Updated - - -

but perhaps that's the point. we'll see.
    Iirc, there's a discussion about what constitutes a human-like behavior and personality, where Apollo kinda demeans the Greek gods by saying that they are just systems who are programmed to produce this personalities, and therefore their emotions aren't real and they are just machines; to which Orion retorts that, if the system believes those feelings to be true, then they are indistinguishable from the "real" emotions who are naturally produced by humans. So it's kinda less about the gods being unfeeling machines and more about the boundaries between "machine" and "human" and how the Greek Gods can't help but feel despite being Machines at their core.

Totally understandable if that's not your cup of tea, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux, July 20th 2019
    We gave HBM, of all people, access to a morals loosening field
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux, December 25th 2019
    Senta deserves the right to a life where she gets to choose if she's actually a Nazi
    True Rider
    A wise and beautiful woman who exudes an aura of grace. She is a sly, cunning, manipulative person who always gets what she wants, whether through trickery or ruthlessness. Her own fighting abilities are low, but she should not be trifled with. What does she ride? Men, of course!

I'm quite sure that the whole greek gods as mecha comes from Z Mazinger.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Wasnt it said somewhere that they begun as robos, then after defeat by sefar they needed another way to maintain themselves, getting closer to mankind and being influenced by them?

Then again even the robot Artemis retained some human feeling (jealousy)
    Artemis has her jealousy, saves Chaldea out of her love for Orion, Heph makes jokes and basically hates Paris (I think it was?) and even explicitly points out being sad at one point.

They may be mechanical, but they're definitely not unfeeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    I'd say it goes beyond the Greek gods being simply humane or human (not always exactly the same thing), it's that they used to be the most carnal pantheon around. When you look at it they were all moved by their lowest and rawest passions and whatever they wanted to do or take on a whim, they'd do or take it just as soon consequences be damned. Even Athena, who was supposed to incarnate logic and reasoning, would flip at the slightest provokation to her pride and start being a bitch just because. They were gluttons, lascivious, quick to anger and moved by emotion over reasoning for the most part, actually. They barely had any restraint because they didn't need to; they were the most powerful guys around and in their cosmology Might Makes Right, while Norse and Hindu deities at least had to face the consequences of their actions often. In the Greek myths mortals would take the toll instead.

That's... like the complete opposite of what we usually take for robotic, mechanical behavior, and while a good subversion of those cliches on what 'robotic' behavior is might prove being interesting if handled right, GO is probably not the best place to explore that, since not only the story has too many other things to juggle at once and Guda is a TERRIBLE viewpoint character to explore and question human condition, but because of the Character Development Glass Ceiling Syndrome GO has, where past a point any character becomes a self-repeating parody of themselves or one-note cypher (because they can't drift away from the player OR move too close either), which ultimately damages all of the Servants' character arcs once they join the gacha.
    Last edited by OverMaster; January 15th, 2020 at 02:06 PM.

JP Friend Code
    And then there's Sakurai\Koyama-spawn

I'd say it goes beyond the Greek gods being simply humane or human (not always exactly the same thing), it's that they used to be the most carnal pantheon around. When you look at it they were all moved by their lowest and rawest passions and whatever they wanted to do or take on a whim, they'd do or take it just as soon consequences be damned. Even Athena, who was supposed to incarnate logic and reasoning, would flip at the slightest provokation to her pride and start being a bitch just because. They were gluttons, lascivious, quick to anger and moved by emotion over reasoning for the most part, actually. They barely had any restraint because they didn't need to; they were the most powerful guys around and in their cosmology Might Makes Right, while Norse and Hindu deities at least had to face the consequences of their actions often. In the Greek myths mortals would take the toll instead.

That's... like the complete opposite of what we usually take for robotic, mechanical behavior, and while a good subversion of those cliches on what 'robotic' behavior is might prove being interesting if handled right, GO is probably not the best place to explore that, since not only the story has too many other things to juggle at once and Guda is a TERRIBLE viewpoint character to explore and question human condition, but because of the Character Development Glass Ceiling Syndrome GO has, where past a point any character becomes a self-repeating parody of themselves or one-note cypher (because they can't drift away from the player OR move too close either), which ultimately damages all of the Servants' character arcs once they join the gacha.
    LB5 so far at least has had the benefit of not limiting itself to Guda's viewpoint, as we're getting internal monologues from other characters (allies and adversaries alike) as well as straight narration scenes. It just reads way closer to a proper VN than anything FGO has done before, and according to Taiboo the script size for Atlantis was like 4 times as large as any other LB chapter so far, so they definitely went all out on story focus this time tbh, and it shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FGOGuide/co...es_section_15/
    As the talk returns to the culture of Atlantis, Chiyome points out that Jason is pretty blasé about the gods for someone who lived in the Age of Gods. Still, he finds it convincing that the 12 Olympians are mechas, whether it’s in this Lostbelt or in Panhuman History, and says it’s because their thought patterns are too inhuman.

This surprises Mandricardo – the Greek gods were known for being very human, weren’t they?

Jason: “Oh, their motivations are totally human. But their habits, their conclusions, and their processes, they’re all out of sync with humans. There’s a theory that the Trojan War was a setup to reduce the increasing number of humans, after all.”
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FGOGuide/co...es_section_11/
    Jason: “…That’s because the gods are the gods.”

Gordolf: “Which means?”

Jason: “For us, the gods of Greece are whimsical, cruel, and at times, gracious with their blessings. Well, they’re irrational existences. But that irrationality of theirs is very much like humans.”

Orion: “…That’s right. For us, gods are always close to us. You can get acquainted with them, you can hate them, or--- you can love, and be loved, by them.”
    They're definitely going somewhere with it.
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar

Tbf, Athena's most dickish moments are a result of Ovid's grudge against authority as a whole.

Also, about the Hindu gods in particular, not only do they suffer the consequences of their actions, but their more carnal aspects are specifically noted as abnormal and something that only happens when they are in contact with the human world. Otherwise, they are by definition elevated above such base instincts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Of course, in actual Greek mythology being loved by a god would just mean another God if not a bunch of them would hate you and make your life impossible. Almost invariably, the god gunning at you would do a better job than the god trying to protect you.

So in that context, the line about being loved by the gods loses a lot of effectiveness.

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FGOGuide/co...es_section_15/
    You arrive at Perseis Island and beat some Atlantis Guards who were stationed there – they didn’t know you were coming so they weren’t on high alert. As for the labyrinth, you get the feeling that you won’t need to worry about getting attacked by the Minotauros. Charlotte wonders if you can use string to traverse it. Jason tells her that Ariadne’s thread is special – it’s an absolutely unbroken string made by mixing in the prayers of a pure maiden.

Charlotte: “Then, if I pray, Ariadne’s thread can be made… right?”

Jason: “So you’re calling yourself a pure maiden, huh…”

Charlotte: “If you’re going there, then you want to see blood, hm?”

Jason goes “No comment” and retreats. Achilles tells Charlotte that it’s probably impossible for her. Ariadne fervently offered prayer for the sake of her beloved Theseus. That is why Theseus could exit the labyrinth with that thread.

Achilles: “It’s through the power of love.”

Jason: “I’d like to call it nonsense, but love does indeed have a power (curse) to it… all the more so in Greece.”
    Jason has seen real shit. It's noted that even heroes who are 'blessed' by gods can have their received affection also be regarded as little different than a curse.
    Last edited by Bobin; January 15th, 2020 at 04:17 PM.
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The one saying that is Orion so I think he's quite aware of that. I don't see how it loses its effectiveness.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    They've done that from the beginning, calling it a blessing/curse for Godhand.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    Knowing Nasu it's probably just a bunch of references to Sefar cuz she died in Sahara. Like how her body became the basis for the gods and the Void Cells affecting local spirits bla bla like the Mesoamerican gods.
    ...huh, I don't even care about how Nasu has interpretation other religions besides a brow raise and yet the thought of this viscerally annoys me

- - - Updated - - -

Well as aside from technicalities like Sheba I'm probably not going to see any non-egyptian African servant in the game (though Nzambi from requiem does exist even if she's not from my Homeland) so I shouldn't bother myself over it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kelp24's Avatar
    remember how Atlas is in the wrong side of Africa?