Page 3838 of 3980 FirstFirst ... 283833383738378838283833383638373838383938403843384838883938 ... LastLast
Results 76,741 to 76,760 of 79595

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Wtf I want a Flat Earther magus in the Nasuverse now. That’d be hilarious lol.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle TresserT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InsertNameHsre View Post
    Part of me wonders if "the Count" is indeed Dantes. I mean, it's very likely but we could end up getting another curveball. In any event, Guda's mental defenses have never been stronger at this point since not only Chaldea!Dantes is assisting, Abby and even Oberon are as well (at least if Proto Merlin's valentine is any indication).
    While Kiara herself is... concerning, to say the least, she's actively defending our mind from threats as well. She's made it clear that she wants to see us fall, but also wants to play hero and to see us power through. She basically wants us to fail in spite of everyone's best efforts. So she's been protecting us from threats as well, as shown in Servant Summer Camp and Tokugawa Labyrinth.

Quote Originally Posted by redrue View Post
    That's pretty much how this whole thing came up. He's not a big Fate fan, but he knows I am so he listens to me ramble about it. When I started talking about the magical system he got really into it and started doing the whole "Make a Magus" thing. He thought the Illuminati as a concept worked really well in this universe, and thought of the idea of using the Flat Earth as a Foundation. He asked me a bunch of questions about how the mechanics worked and I answered as best I could but I wasn't sure about a lot of stuff.

He's also the one who came up with this Deep Blue concept, though I fleshed it out a lot, as well as the Beast VII in my Beast lineup that I haven't posted quite yet.
    Last edited by TresserT; February 23rd, 2023 at 07:59 PM.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    In my opinion, Kotomine's info dump seems to be telling players not to judge ancient civilization with modern day morality. He was pretty objective with the sacrifice and concluded that Cortez succeeded because the tribes around the Aztec's were not happy with their culture, and the empire failed as the king failed to juggle between the foreigners and locals.

The chapter also mentioned Quetz was seen as good because she denies sacrifice, but in reality it is just because it fits in with the Catholic Spanish and modern morality. Back then sacrifices were a big thing, and gods that deny them are radical as to say
    That last part is what made me very iffy about Nasu's framing, especially since he also went ahead and made the claim that Moctezuma II, the emperor who expanded Aztec power to its zenith, was secretly an iconoclast who hated human sacrifice and also just wanted to learn from Spanish culture. Not to mention, the message somewhat rings hollow with all the Ancient Aliens-like conspiracy theories about Central Americans that Nasu incorporated into the lore. Nothing like not respecting a culture like implying it was all aliens and that these people are all part alien.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    They also literally said several times how Tez isn't seen as an evil god and how the LB culture itself view deaths. So yeah it has some "respect the cultures" nuances.
    Yeah, but I still think it falls flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    I'm sure Nasu must hate the greeks too since their culture was made from alien robots.

None of the things Aztecs ever did was given to them by aliens. The aliens are what allowed the gods to exist, but what you should take from this is not "they owe everything to them and were useless otherwise", but that the mythology wouldn't be real without the aliens. It sounds like you're just actively trying to see it as negatively as you can because you've seen alien conspiracy documentaries before that say Aztecs wouldn't be able to do anything without ayla maos, but this ain't it, take from it what is actually there, and not what you preconceive.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by redrue View Post
    We saw in the El-Melloi anime that the Animusphere magecraft system uses an Earth-centered solar system model instead of sun-centered, so a flat-earther mage wouldn't be too far off from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    I'm sure Nasu must hate the greeks too since their culture was made from alien robots.

None of the things Aztecs ever did was given to them by aliens. The aliens are what allowed the gods to exist, but what you should take from this is not "they owe everything to them and were useless otherwise", but that the mythology wouldn't be real without the aliens. It sounds like you're just actively trying to see it as negatively as you can because you've seen alien conspiracy documentaries before that say Aztecs wouldn't be able to do anything without ayla maos, but this ain't it, take from it what is actually there, and not what you preconceive.
    The mecha-Olympians aren't so bad because Nasu more or less made that up, and otherwise, whoever wrote Atlantis took great pains to tell us that the other Greek gods came from various different sources, just like how it happened IRL. It certainly helps that there aren't centuries of pseudo-historical, racist conspiracy theories attributing the inventions of the Greeks to either ancient hyperboreans or to aliens. Without all that baggage, it's easier to swallow.

However, with the Mesoamerican worldbuilding, it is entirely based off of these theories which are racist to the core, and even without factoring in the Ancient Aliens bit and the idea that all Central Americans were partly composed of Malla, it still reeks of eco-Indian stereotypes that could not be said to have applied to the Aztecs of all people.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Sounds like an american take poisoned by their popular media, when the reality is Nasu just thinks aliens are cool.

Like, there's actual people out there saying Aztecs and Egyptians and whatnot should not have been able to do anything at all and aliens must exist, which is BS, but this just isn't the case here, just because aliens are involved.
    Last edited by Kirishima; February 23rd, 2023 at 09:13 PM.

Sounds like an american take poisoned by their popular media, when the reality is Nasu just thinks aliens are cool
    The Ancient Aliens stuff is truly international, and Nasu has already taken a bunch from Western pop culture.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Mhmm, yes. Astute. Your ability to read things through the simplistic lens of the Racism litmus test once again proves ever so illuminating.

I just think "there are people out there that are racist and don't believe ancient civilizations were capable of anything, therefore aliens exist is their argument, and since this writer incorporated aliens in his fictional works in multiple backstories, therefore, he too is racist" is way too simplistic and not the right way to view things at all, it just sounds like you're looking for racism when aliens are mentioned, specially when during no point in the narrative is there any comment saying these people were stupid and could not have done anything without alien bacteria helping them.

I just think "there are people out there that are racist and don't believe ancient civilizations were capable of anything, therefore aliens exist is their argument, and since this writer incorporated aliens in his fictional works in multiple backstories, therefore, he too is racist" is way too simplistic and not the right way to view things at all, it just sounds like you're looking for racism when aliens are mentioned, specially when during no point in the narrative is there any comment saying these people were stupid and could not have done anything without alien bacteria helping them.
    Yeah, I may not have been specific enough with what my actual problem was. Using Ancient Aliens as a source of worldbuilding is annoying, but the real problem is the eco-Indian stuff, like Kirei saying the real reason they didn't domesticate large beasts of burden is because they loved nature too much and didn't grow too much due to an instinctive understanding that they shouldn't grow beyond the jungle.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TresserT View Post
    While Kiara herself is... concerning, to say the least, she's actively defending our mind from threats as well. She's made it clear that she wants to see us fall, but also wants to play hero and to see us power through. She basically wants us to fail in spite of everyone's best efforts. So she's been protecting us from threats as well, as shown in Servant Summer Camp and Tokugawa Labyrinth.
    While that doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me (especially given how much trouble she caused in Servant Summer Camp), at least we have a hard counter to her in the form of Kama just in case that happens (and her attempts at corrupting us post-Tokugawa Labyrinth have either failed or outright backfired on her, so she's much less of a threat), to say nothing of BB and the Sakura Five (give or take two).

That said, who might the other candidates for "the Count" be? While this is a long shot. I'm considering the possibility that it may be the Count of St. Germain. He's well known for using many names and titles over his lifetime (and intersects with Theosophy quite a bit) and has been depicted as a time traveler and a magic user in other media. True, he doesn't quite fit the Avenger class (or at least not unless the writers get creative), but who said he had to be an Avenger at all? If anything, if he's a Ruler that would fit the pattern of half the Apostles being Alter Egos and the other half being Rulers (minus U-Olga, whose originally classification as a Beast is looking increasingly dubious).

It also helps that Saint-Germain has already appeared in Fate/strange fake, so we have a blueprint for what he might be like. Still, for not having shown up 'till now despite supposedly being summoned to help Chaldea? I think he's not the one.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    "Romani" called each Apostles by epithets that describe them clearly. Detective(Holmes), Professor(Moriarty), Avatar of Malice(Douman), Atlas Slayer(Muramasa), Priest(Rasputin). The Count is most likely Dantes, and it's rather telling when back in Shinjuku Guda pointed out that he hated his given name and instead prefer his title of Count of Monte Cristo.

Also, that reminds me back in Mictlan's prologue where Olga claimed to have defeated seven Grands, and she even dreamt about, yet it was never addressed throughout the chapter. I have a guess according to what we learnt.

It's actually a simulation for her trial in order to be resurrected, like Wodime did. And it also happened during her dream, which Dantes is heavily associated with. She's merely dreaming of things to come using her Clairvoyance-like ability that's possibly one of her Super Authorities.
    Last edited by OnesFleetingGlory; February 23rd, 2023 at 10:19 PM.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Yeah, I may not have been specific enough with what my actual problem was. Using Ancient Aliens as a source of worldbuilding is annoying, but the real problem is the eco-Indian stuff, like Kirei saying the real reason they didn't domesticate large beasts of burden is because they loved nature too much and didn't grow too much due to an instinctive understanding that they shouldn't grow beyond the jungle.
    I've studied the subject before- the fact of the matter is that in South America as a whole there weren't any animals other than llamas and their relatives which could've been domesticated. The Aztecs didn't even have those; while there's evidence of horses living in the North American continent before the Europeans arrived, I don't recall there being traces of their presence in Mexico and they went extinct long before the Aztec Empire was established. It's not that they chose not to grow too much, it's that they simply never had the resources needed to do so.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by TresserT View Post
    So my bf was asking about how Nasuverse magecraft works, and I figured I would ask people who know more about it than I do. My basic understanding is as follows:
    Clock Tower/Modern Magecraft

You begin with a valid interpretation of the world. "Valid" is used very loosely here- Flat Earth would be considered a valid interpretation, because you can construct a model of the world that is flat, even if it requires some ridiculous assumptions like portals and miasma. Flat Earth is an extreme example, with something like "voodoo" or "shinto" being simpler interpretations. This interpretation becomes your Foundation.

Foundations grow in strength the more ingrained into the collective unconscious it is. What matters for this is both how broadly a topic is known and how fervently people believe it. Cube Earth might be a valid Foundation, but nobody's ever heard of that so it'd be essentially worthless. The Flat Earth is more powerful because, even if people don't really believe that anymore, everyone knows about it. Spherical Earth is a very powerful Foundation because everyone knows about it and just about everyone believes in it.

Once you have a Foundation, you perform Magecraft by creating a result which can be achieved within that Foundation, but not within another. For example- within Japan there exists a tradition of throwing beans to drive away evil. Under the laws of physics, throwing beans should have no real effect on enemies approaching you. However, by tapping into the Shinto Foundation, you can transfer over the effect of "evil repelling" to the world of physics.

Many effects are exclusive to or grow weaker outside of their home region. Throwing beans to drive away evil are mostly unheard of outside of Japan, so the effect would be much weaker anywhere else. However, pointing a finger with a mean look and muttering in some foreign language is universally a bad sign, no matter your culture. Thus, Gandr can be used anywhere, despite being only known by that name in Germanic areas.

One problem with the Foundation system is that it degrades the more analyzed it gets. Revealing magecraft does not pose a threat to magecraft in the short term, but it does cause the decline of Mystery in the long term. The examples I used for this was smallpox. 2000 years ago smallpox was considered something akin to demonic possession, and was something everyone would worry about. 200 years ago we analyzed it and figured out its true causes- it was still broadly known, but nobody believed it was caused by demons anymore so its uses in magecraft greatly diminished due to that lack of belief (fervor of belief is important for magecraft). Nowadays, most people don't even know that smallpox was attributed to demons once upon a time. Both fervor and breadth have been lost, greatly diminishing magecraft. In 2000 years smallpox will probably be forgotten about entirely as it was eradicted long ago. It's because of these changes in the public mindset that magecraft declines over time but not in the short term.

The scale of magecraft an individual can perform is determined by their magic circuits. For most people, even simple spells are impossible. To get around this, Magic Crests were developed. Magic Crests work by taking some of your Magic Circuits, putting them into a Crest, and then sewing that Crest onto the next generation. This enables you to artificially create people with stronger and stronger Magic Circuits, as well as allowing them to more easily access spells you've already mastered.

The flaw with this system is, Magic Crests are built with ancient Foundations in mind, and Crests take generations to build. While mages should be constantly getting stronger and stronger as their Crest grows, if the Foundation their spells are built on weakens then their improving circuits will become worthless. This is why mages are so adamant on concealing magecraft, despite the fact that Foundations get stronger the more people believe in them.

New Foundations can be built in modern times, but it's pretty difficult creating a new interpretation of the world that no one has ever thought of before. On top of that, even if one did make a new Foundation and make knowledge of it widespread, without the generations of circuits built up in a Magic Crest the mage would be limited to what a single ordinary human could perform. It would be the same as starting all over from scratch after 2000 years.

Wandering Sea/Ancient Magecraft

Ancient magecraft works essentially the same as modern magecraft, the biggest difference being that magic circuits are largely irrelevent.

Ancient Magecraft functions through use of entities far more powerful than the mage. It basically works by asking the higher power for a favor, usually offering something in exchange, and then having that power perform an action for you. You don't cast Lightning Bolt, you ask Zeus to cast Lightning Bolt for you. As such, Magic Circuits only matter insofar as they give you more to offer to a higher power.

Generally these higher powers are Gods (Divine Spirits), but other sources may be useable. Foreigners are essentially using Ancient Magecraft in FGO, but through an Outer God rather than a traditional Divine Spirit. Divine Spirits are basically Foundations with wills of their own. They can be manipulated through faith just like normal Foundations.

I don't really understand how Atlas Magecraft works. It seems like it's just Wakanda technology that's so advanced and kept so secret that people just view it as Magecraft when it's really just technology. I don't understand how it relates to other forms of magecraft.

I would like to make sure my understanding of magecraft is correct, so if anyone is willing to correct me where I'm wrong I'd greatly appreciate it. I can't seem to find any good, comprehensive analysis on the subject.

I also know the tradition is more about oni than evil broadly, I was just using it as a hypothetical example.
    You forgot the Philosophy Magecraft which is a mix of all you list, with the diff between their AoG and modern version being one can gain more access to the dope stuffs. Their foundation is fused with the planet.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    "Romani" called each Apostles by epithets that describes them clearly. Detective(Holmes), Professor(Moriarty), Avatar of Malice(Douman), Atlas Slayer(Muramasa), Priest(Rasputin). The Count is most likely Dantes, and it's rather telling when back in Shinjuku Guda pointed out that he hated his given name and instead prefer his title of Count of Monte Cristo.

Also, that reminds me back in Mictlan's prologue where Olga claimed to have defeated seven Grands, and she even dreamt about, yet it was never addressed throughout the chapter. I have a guess according to what we learnt.

It's actually a simulation for her trial in order to be resurrected, like Wodime did. And it also happened during her dream, which Dantes is heavily associated with. She's merely dreaming of things to come using her Clairvoyance-like ability that's possibly one of her Super Authorities.
    Even so, we can't yet rule out that the "Count" is a new character that we haven't seen yet. If it is Dantes, there's the further question of which Dantes it is- the one of the Prison Tower or the Chaldean one. We know they're distinct individuals despite their limited memory sharing, and since we've seen them in the same place together it can't just be one of them pretending to be the other.

It's equally likely that U-Olga's dream was a sort of wishful thinking, given that just one of those Grands (Tezcatlipoca) soundly defeated her and left her at a fraction of her normal strength. Unfortunately we have no information on what actually happened- Tezcatlipoca might have been able to explain things but we had more important matters on our hands at that time and never thought to ask.

I've studied the subject before- the fact of the matter is that in South America as a whole there weren't any animals other than llamas and their relatives which could've been domesticated. The Aztecs didn't even have those; while there's evidence of horses living in the North American continent before the Europeans arrived, I don't recall there being traces of their presence in Mexico and they went extinct long before the Aztec Empire was established. It's not that they chose not to grow too much, it's that they simply never had the resources needed to do so.
    Exactly my point, yet Nasu chooses to conveniently ignore this for...reasons? I also find the whole Central Americans have memories from the land of extinction and death thing to be either stupid or just sus.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    It also helps that Saint-Germain has already appeared in Fate/strange fake, so we have a blueprint for what he might be like. Still, for not having shown up 'till now despite supposedly being summoned to help Chaldea? I think he's not the one.
    It doesn't rule out the possibility of him having manipulated events in advance to ensure that they turned out in a specific way, however. If that's the case, then we'd have no way of even knowing he was working behind the scenes at all.

Even so, we can't yet rule out that the "Count" is a new character that we haven't seen yet. If it is Dantes, there's the further question of which Dantes it is- the one of the Prison Tower or the Chaldean one. We know they're distinct individuals despite their limited memory sharing, and since we've seen them in the same place together it can't just be one of them pretending to be the other.

It's equally likely that U-Olga's dream was a sort of wishful thinking, given that just one of those Grands (Tezcatlipoca) soundly defeated her and left her at a fraction of her normal strength. Unfortunately we have no information on what actually happened- Tezcatlipoca might have been able to explain things but we had more important matters on our hands at that time and never thought to ask.
    I always thought Tezcatlipoca simply ganked her while she was still getting her bearings. I don't think he could have beat her in a straight fight, especially because even without her heart, her lightning was enough to clear away his miasma.